Texas vs ou - 11am on ABC

Pancho

It was monumentally stupid because that penalty getting called is a given if you're Texas. They said it was BJ Allen in the game, but I think it was Keilan Robinson. They both wear #7. Since he's not a feature RB, he's desperate to make splash plays on special teams and often takes risks he shouldn't. Like was said above, Jeff Banks HAS to keep those guys under leash in situations like that.

It was Keilan. He’s always on the punt team. He’s blocked them before so you know he wants another. You can see him try to avoid contact late. If that’s 4th and 15, that’s one thing. But 4th and 4. Just stay away.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Just now, Had Enough said:

It was Keilan. He’s always on the punt team. He’s blocked them before so you know he wants another. You can see him try to avoid contact late. If that’s 4th and 15, that’s one thing. But 4th and 4. Just stay away.

I bet KR had no idea what the down and distance was.  no one should even be trying to cross the punter.  ST coach failure and if he actually told him then he needs to be benched so it gets through.  It was a monumental MENTAL error that was a 7 point swing and potentially 10 or 14.  fucking Colorado flashbacks.  FML.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

Rewatching the game now. Fuck, their defense played much better than ours. More emotion, more effort. They tackled waaaay better than we did and when they got hands on our guys, they were trying to punch the ball out. 

PK may not be the guy either.  was looking good this year given Bama game.  I thought I was going to have to eat crow but who knows now.

First play from the infamous failure goal line stand. Brooks has great vision but didn't see that massive hole on the right. I understand the play isn't designed to that gap but a jump cut to the right and he can sloth walk his way in the end zone. Not to mention from that formation they are selling out on the run with no threat of a pass.image.thumb.png.1f48d0f831b3f4c6b89efbe7a87d6643.png

• Like 4
  • Rage+1 4

15 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

First play from the infamous failure goal line stand. Brooks has great vision but didn't see that massive hole on the right. I understand the play isn't designed to that gap but a jump cut to the right and he can sloth walk his way in the end zone. Not to mention from that formation they are selling out on the run with no threat of a pass.image.thumb.png.1f48d0f831b3f4c6b89efbe7a87d6643.png

You're assuming 52 can block two guys even if Brooks cuts to the right. Yeah, it's a hole but there's 2 defenders there. Plus he probably thought he could bowl through for the yard. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Longhornlove said:

One of the biggest mistakes of the entire game was snapping the ball with 20 seconds on the play clock on 3rd and 9 before the last field goal. If you are playing for a field goal there, you don't do that.

The OC struggles trying to make HC decisions. 

2 minutes ago, mdmost said:

You're assuming 52 can block two guys even if Brooks cuts to the right. Yeah, it's a hole but there's 2 defenders there. Plus he probably thought he could bowl through for the yard. 

No I'm not, he took himself out of that gap, he was committed or do you expect him to go through 52 and his own player to get to that gap?

8 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

One of the biggest mistakes of the entire game was snapping the ball with 20 seconds on the play clock on 3rd and 9 before the last field goal. If you are playing for a field goal there, you don't do that.

OU had called timeout.  Play clock didn't affect the game clock. 

• Haha 2

On our last drive, after Worthy's catch for a first down, Bowman from OU was hurt and went down.  The clock was at 2:35.  No timeout was called, but the clock stopped for the injury.  Shouldn't the game clock have restarted as soon as the ref marked the ball ready for play?  The play clock started but the game clock did not. 

• Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, Horndog said:

On our last drive, after Worthy's catch for a first down, Bowman from OU was hurt and went down.  The clock was at 2:35.  No timeout was called, but the clock stopped for the injury.  Shouldn't the game clock have restarted as soon as the ref marked the ball ready for play?  The play clock started but the game clock did not. 

absolutely.  probably the single largest variable of the last three minutes contributing to ou's win.

• Hook 'Em 2

RE emotion for this game. Here is a clip from the Brooks TD that tied the game. Quinn is about as calm as they come and showed this type of emotion as did others when big plays happened. 

If anybody can GIF this I would love to use it. [mention=397]immamac[/mention]

Yeah, I’m glad he was pumped like that. Anyone that says emotion isn’t part of sports is a robot or a fool.
  • Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Horndog said:

Yes, and with play already stopped thus negating the hurry up, Sark should have been telling the offense during the stoppage to run the play clock down. In which case you’d think he would have noticed the incorrect timing by the officials, but it seems he didn’t.

6 minutes ago, LonghornSean said:

Yes, and with play already stopped thus negating the hurry up, Sark should have been telling the offense during the stoppage to run the play clock down. In which case you’d think he would have noticed the incorrect timing by the officials, but it seems he didn’t.

3 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

HC versus OC. One of 'em shoulda noticed.

was screaming at the tv.  but it was david alvarez's crew...the same crew that had the alabama game last year.  quite literally, the worst of all time. someone in the booth should have been screaming to steve to go talk to the refs about starting the clock.  that no one noticed or cared should be the end for someone.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

No I'm not, he took himself out of that gap, he was committed or do you expect him to go through 52 and his own player to get to that gap?

Yeah, no way he bumps outside to make that tackle. Also notice there is no whipping our Olines ass here either. We only have 9 to block 11.

On 3rd down, if Brooks follows Sweat at that guy pointed out, he’s got a chance.

Odd that we run wildcat in the middle of the field but not goal line. Sark, that extra defender or two is yours.

was screaming at the tv.  but it was david alvarez's crew...the same crew that had the alabama game last year.  quite literally, the worst of all time. someone in the booth should have been screaming to steve to go talk to the refs about starting the clock.  that no one noticed or cared should be the end for someone.

We lose nothing by calling a timeout there either.

2 hours ago, gmr548 said:

People keep saying this but it kind of smells like copium.

The tempo three and out inside their own five that led to the blocked punt TD - and then of course not having max protection in an obvious punt block situation - was laughable, Charlie Strong type coaching. They botched a perfectly called 4th down conversion and dropped a walk in TD. Gabriel put a ball right in Jerrin Thompson's chest in the endzone, was largely neutered in the deep passing game, and was only 60% completion (do have to credit the Texas DL for doing a decent job of getting their hands up for forcing some awkward throws from a short QB). Their conventional run game was basically non existent. They badly missed a FG that would have effectively ended the game. They evidently had a kick block unit out on Texas's 4th and 4 before Sark called time.

Texas didn't lose to some significantly inferior opponent playing their A++ game. OU was dealt the better hand from the officials and had some flat out good luck, but just as we are sitting here looking at several different ways the outcome could have been different, OU left meat on the bone in several different spots and could have blown that game wide the fuck open. Not unlike what we felt lookin at the Bama game from our end. They played better than Texas, and yes I think Texas has more opportunities to improve and flip the outcome, but in a hypothetical rematch they're as much or more likely to play better than to play worse.

It was real enough on Saturday. Oklahoma was visibly the more aggressive and physical team and Texas did not ultimately have a counter for that.

Idk how much you misread my post, but it seems like pretty bad comprehension. I said this was the best game they will play all year and it is. They aren't that good of a team and Texas played significantly worse than average and still almost won save the last drive which happened in the last 1:17.

1 hour ago, NoName said:

it will NOT be OU's best game of the year per FEI's Game Ratings but that's only because of how much they smoked the hell out of Arkansas State

those are opponent adjusted and exclude garbage time.

image.png.890e63948eece66e2b8b0484e7be5768.png

they played a very, very good game vs Texas but the odds of them having that success rate again, being that successful running the ball, being that successful in the red zone, and getting that much HAVOC are extremely low.

image.png.234d0f056f2aad402f0cef24b76ef09d.png

here they were vs Iowa State fore example (%tile vs Texas in red)

image.png.cea976d645d7815add0c62939c764d6a.png

and Cincy (%tile vs Texas in red)

image.png.9208a5495e6ef82ee413d117e80afe8c.png

the rematch in December is going to be very good but don't get it twisted - they played a very, very, very good game that is unlikely to be re-created. the odds of this being their new baseline is very low considering we had a 5 game baseline before this.

here is where the copium starts - i fully expect this to show up on message board geniuses.

OU won the middle 8. OU won when rushing (!!!). OU won on early downs.

OU was +3 in turnovers, +4 in sacks, +11% in HAVOC created, had more than 2x as much HAVOC from their front 7 as Texas did, were +10% in run stuff rate, +43% in red zone success, +4% in stop rate, had +10 points in turnover luck, had half as many penalties as Texas and had 4 of the 5 big plays in this game by absolute EPA...they still had to have a drive down the length of the field with no time outs to win.

OU played THAT much better and still only had a 59% postgame winning expectancy per Bill C lol. will share the advanced box score he puts out when it's done.

Texas should absolutely win out and then absolutely beat those Okie asses in the B12 championship.

This is what I saw. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, sidis said:

Since he's wearing two hats, he absolutely should have at least one assistant whose primary job is to tap him on the shoulder for situational game management issues like this.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, sidis said:

Goggles’ crew had the Alabama game last year 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Had Enough said:

I honestly thought he tipped it and barely grazed his fingertip when I saw the replay.  I didn't rewind it and no one else seemed to see it so I was likely just drunk.

Noticed it live. Shocked Brooks didn’t go that way. Like you said, normally he’s excellent with that type of stuff.

At this point returning kickoffs should be a near exact science. In baseball, teams use a timer on exactly how long  opposing pitchers take to get the ball to the plate. If a guy is below a certain number, they don't run.

If a kick hangs in the air longer than X (figure it out) or goes further than Y, then fair catch it and take the ball at the 25. Big returns arent common enough to risk starting inside the 20. And when they do happen they get called back every time

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, immamac said:

Idk how much you misread my post, but it seems like pretty bad comprehension. I said this was the best game they will play all year and it is.

Pot, meet kettle. I am saying with the plethora of fuck ups they trotted out there themselves, it is likely not.

15 minutes ago, deech said:

I honestly thought he tipped it and barely grazed his fingertip when I saw the replay.  I didn't rewind it and no one else seemed to see it so I was likely just drunk.

I copied the url at 42:07. If it doesn't start playing there, you know where to start it.

2 hours ago, dcar00 said:

and that is on the ST coach.  you gambled and won.  take the winnings.  

and the O had just gone 85 yards in 9 plays for a TD

I tend to agree....at that point there was no reason to go for a block.

They ended up getting 3 on that drive making it at 14-10 game. Had that not occured we are up 14-7 and their touchdown before half only ties it up.

Edited by BurntOrange&White

Defender on the side (olineman was initialy beat on a swim move), arm in front arm in back....or what you might call a bear hug.  Then the takedown tackle. Then Gabriel running free to uncork it to Stoops.  Ref standing there didn't see shit.

F57CFA24-E990-4803-8BD2-093B61164F93.thumb.jpeg.0fdc4f3f278e3ca7149d61deb9305d3f.jpegT9C6E5961-10DA-4FE9-8D51-2C0DB5A059E5.thumb.jpeg.17735de030b4fd3738aa3245958ca6b5.jpegF6FF7B11-E9DE-4168-B6F1-5123446BB2E3.thumb.jpeg.b5a850a9b362c437876fd974f50ca353.jpeg

Edited by Surly Bevo

On 10/7/2023 at 4:14 PM, troph said:

We had two guys sacking Gabriel on that drive and he slipped out, we had great pressure on the TD call. The fucking PI call and the mix up on motion sucked but the calls weren’t bad.

We played prevent all the way down the field and let them break off 15 yards a play when all they needed was a FG to tie.  I'm not sure how you watch that and think the calls weren't bad.  We had corners playing 20 yards off the LOS.  I'd rather have lost being aggressive than watching them have easy 15 yard gains all the way down the field. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Constant said:

You think that because you spend literally zero time or effort to learn anything about him - which I understand. 

If you’re open to the possibility of a different opinion, watch his speech here.  He’s a humble, hard working man that grew up with extreme hardships and has earned this opportunity. He’s quite simply the antimeathead. He demands everyone’s best and knows how to get it. 

I really don’t need to watch a video. I have spoken with him on several occasions at Clemson’s booster club gatherings. My kid is on the board of IPTAY donation group.

I also don’t necessarily disagree with any your particular points. But, to be the face of a major program? Yeah, that I didn’t see. Obviously Castiglione saw something else.