Houston Texans 2018 Offseason Thread

GHOSTUSER

On 4/6/2018 at 12:35 PM, Chicken fried bacon said:

Bob needs to stop all interviews and stay away from the media.  He can’t talk to the media like he is talking to his friends at River Oaks Country Club.  

Actually, his old white man sounding antics have zero affect on him.  He can, and will, keep his mouth running.  He's closer to end of life than middle. He is a billionaire. He is surly. Zero fucks are given about what poors and coloreds think of his words. He probably doesn't care what the wealths and whites think, either.

1 minute ago, Snacks said:

Actually, his old white man sounding antics have zero affect on him.  He can, and will, keep his mouth running.  He's closer to end of life than middle. He is a billionaire. He is surly. Zero fucks are given about what poors and coloreds think of his words. He probably doesn't care what the wealths and whites think, either.

Shit, Bob McNair posts here?! What's his handle?

16 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

He failed a physical in March. Maybe he screwed himself.

Newton tore the patella tendon in both legs 18 months ago. According to the Chron, he could not fully extend his legs in March during the physical. The Texans didn't screw him and he didn't screw himself -- Football is a violent game.

1 hour ago, Jacob McCandles said:

Newton tore the patella tendon in both legs 18 months ago. According to the Chron, he could not fully extend his legs in March during the physical. The Texans didn't screw him and he didn't screw himself -- Football is a violent game.

Shaggy with some logic?

GTFOH...

Back on Shaggy, I asked WTF the Texans did with their 2017 cap savings from trading Osweiler to Cleveland. The answer was "extend Hopkins and Clowney."  Clowney wasn't extended. Did Hopkins first year on the new deal max out their salary cap space? Again I ask WTF did the Texans do with that cap savings and why did they give up a 2nd round pick for nothing?

I think the answer is that they needed to clear room for Romo and then that never happened. But they should have front-loaded the shit out of Hopkins' new deal so they could pay him less in future years and use that savings on other players. Letting 2017 cap space die unused is a terrible waste of this 2018 2nd round pick.

12 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Back on Shaggy, I asked WTF the Texans did with their 2017 cap savings from trading Osweiler to Cleveland. The answer was "extend Hopkins and Clowney."  Clowney wasn't extended. Did Hopkins first year on the new deal max out their salary cap space? Again I ask WTF did the Texans do with that cap savings and why did they give up a 2nd round pick for nothing?

I think the answer is that they needed to clear room for Romo and then that never happened. But they should have front-loaded the shit out of Hopkins' new deal so they could pay him less in future years and use that savings on other players. Letting 2017 cap space die unused is a terrible waste of this 2018 2nd round pick.

They signed the Honey Badger.  We saved $10M on Brock and used $7M to get a player at S.  Clowney and McKinney are next to get extended .  I see McKinney getting 5 yrs between $40-$45M.  Clowney will be the highest paid player. 6 yrs $120M.  

I would take Dez on a 1 year deal.  With a healthy Watson....they are scary. Who do you cover?  Hop? Fuller? Dez?  They need to get a TE, OT, CB and depth in the draft. If we get karma back from all the injuries last year and stay healthy....this team could be playing in February 

The cap savings was for last year, not this current year. They could have cut Osweiler after 2017 with no dead money on the 2018 cap. The Osweiler move has nothing to do with signing Honey Badger in 2018.

I have never heard teams could “roll over” cap space from one year to another. If that’s the case every team’s cap would be different from each other every year and I’ve never seen it reported that way. 

This year's Texans schedule is as friendly as it's ever been to Longhorn road trippers:

9/1 - @Maryland - no Texans game
9/29 - @K-State - Texans on the road
10/27 - @OK-State - Texans play home, but on Thursday night
11/10 - @TX-Teck - Texans bye week
11/23 - @Kansas - Texans play at home, but on Monday Night

There's a Texans home game the day after Texas-OU (as seemingly always), but even that one is a prime time game so no need to wake up before dawn to get to NRG.

Bernard

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

The cap savings was for last year, not this current year. They could have cut Osweiler after 2017 with no dead money on the 2018 cap. The Osweiler move has nothing to do with signing Honey Badger in 2018.

I have never heard teams could “roll over” cap space from one year to another. If that’s the case every team’s cap would be different from each other every year and I’ve never seen it reported that way. 

It actually did help sign Mathieu.  We got a $10M relief when we got rid of Brock.  We didn’t sign any big free agents last year because they were holding the money for this year. When FA started we had $70M in space.  We signed 3 OL, Colvin and HB.  The savings allowed them to sign a big name player on a 1year deal.  I listened to BOB make that statement yesterday.  I tend to believe the coach of the team. 

Unused cap space can be carried over from one year to the next. I think that’s been in place since the last CBA. Texans carried over $10 million from 2017.
Bernard
Yup. So the meta strategy is to spend near the 90% cap floor in years you aren't competing and save that 10% to rollover to later years when you will be more competitive and have free agents or good players to spend on. A few million here and there can be the difference between a winning and losing bid. Front loading contracts to meet the floor also helps to free up money for later years.

I liked what Ellington did in the slot and this is the make or break year for Miller. WR is not an issue as long as Watson is the QB. His ability to extend plays and make the defense account for his ability to run makes it easier for the WRs to get separation.

AFC SOUTH

hou.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

Houston Texans

The Texans will draft a quarterback

Houston has three QBs on the roster right now: Deshaun Watson, veteran Brandon Weeden and Joe Webb. Watson is expected to be on the field at some point this spring, but the Texans found out the hard way that they didn't have a capable backup quarterback on the roster after Watson tore his ACL last season, finishing 1-8 without him. Houston could use a third- or fourth-round pick on a quarterback. -- Sarah Barshop

ESPN is this retarded

Edited by Sidney Sherman

41 minutes ago, cdain3 said:

I hope these idiots let Connor fall to the Texans.

They had him going to the Browns with the Texans 2nd round pick. They had the Texans taking Jones from Ohio State and Okorafor from Western Michigan. Would be interesting to see if Harrison is there, if they take him.

Edited by HtownHorn

2 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

CBS mock has the Texans taking 2 OTs and Holton Hill today.

The Florida teams always grab the good Florida players (Taven Bryan this year), I've been waiting for the Texans to stack the team with more Longhorns.

Whitney Mercious - JJ Watt - Poona Ford - Jadaveon Clowney

giphy.gif

23 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Let’s bump this up. Texans about to get involved. Would you take Orlando Brown if he was there?  Get him to eat some salads and he’d be a steal. 

Yes, though it appears the Texans will have a pool of 4-5 OTs to choose from.

Shoot, if he's there, I'd take Malik, since it appears there are going to be plenty of OTs left.

Edited by HtownHorn