Israel-Hamas war thread

Brisketexan

Reuters reporting on that interview too

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/chef-jose-andres-says-israel-targeted-his-aid-workers-systematically-car-by-car-2024-04-03/

"This was not just a bad luck situation where ‘oops’ we dropped the bomb in the wrong place," Andres said.

"This was over a 1.5, 1.8 kilometers, with a very defined humanitarian convoy that had signs in the top, in the roof, a very colorful logo that we are obviously very proud of," he said. It's “very clear who we are and what we do.”

"They were targeting us in a deconflicting zone, in an area controlled by IDF. They knowing that it was our teams moving on that road ... with three cars," he said.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, Thetexashammer said:

Get back to me when Israel shuts down food shipments and you will have my 100% support.

What is three precision strikes on an aid convoy?

Negged again, you piece of shit.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

It's absolutely amazing to me that this particular event is what it took to realize a breaking point for some people, but thank god they finally arrived. 

Have you ever considered that people just don’t want to align with someone like you and would rather be on the really, really, really wrong side of history? 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

Reuters reporting on that interview too

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/chef-jose-andres-says-israel-targeted-his-aid-workers-systematically-car-by-car-2024-04-03/

"This was not just a bad luck situation where ‘oops’ we dropped the bomb in the wrong place," Andres said.

"This was over a 1.5, 1.8 kilometers, with a very defined humanitarian convoy that had signs in the top, in the roof, a very colorful logo that we are obviously very proud of," he said. It's “very clear who we are and what we do.”

"They were targeting us in a deconflicting zone, in an area controlled by IDF. They knowing that it was our teams moving on that road ... with three cars," he said.

Andres came out strong in on the side of Israel’s right to defend itself. He’s not a contrarian or loon. I remain pro-Israel as a concept but Netanyahu has lost the plot. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

People had to open their eyes at some point. Most Americans just don't really know shit about this conflict. It's fine, I mean it's not, but we all knew it would take some awful tragedy to get it started. It was just a matter of when and how bad.

I'd rather it be this than an invasion/carpet bombing of Rafah. Not that it still can't happen, but yeah.

22 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Have you considered that adjusting thinking in reaction to reality is more intelligent than knee-jerk dogmatism.  Just a possibility for you to mull.

A hit dog hollers. 

The reality of what is taking place has been clear for some time. The story arch didn't start Oct 2023. But yes, I applaud your intelligence for breaking when the situation involves a bunch of white people getting blown up instead of the disposable browns that have been stacking by the tens of thousands. 

• Hook 'Em 1

To keep it news-thread-worthy, chart of aid work deaths worldwide over time. If you squint hard enough, you can clearly understand the intelligence behind why the events from this week were the tipping point for some. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

I'd rather it be this than an invasion/carpet bombing of Rafah. Not that it still can't happen, but yeah.

What you got going on next Thursday?

Edited by Anastasis
  • Rage+1 1

6 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

no news.

Biggest news week on this thread. NYT told me so yesterday. 

Gaza has been the deadliest place for aid workers since the Oct. 7 attacks. According to the Aid Worker Security Database, a compilation of data on attacks funded by the United States Agency for International Development, 203 aid workers have been killed in Gaza since the war started. All were Palestinian, except for six of the World Central Kitchen workers most recently killed, who were citizens of Australia, the United States, Canada, Poland and Britain. 

2 hours ago, Anastasis said:

A hit dog hollers. 

The reality of what is taking place has been clear for some time. The story arch didn't start Oct 2023. But yes, I applaud your intelligence for breaking when the situation involves a bunch of white people getting blown up instead of the disposable browns that have been stacking by the tens of thousands. 

this wasn't a reply to me but i'll reply anyway

this is not about white/brown

taking out pre-identified NGO is just pure evil

it's fascist

it's nazi

i can't recall any US takeout of Red Crescent or Red Cross that mirrors what bibby did monday night

i've always felt we were the worst when it came to innocent civilians

this a step beyond that

the next level is IDF package bombs in manhattan.....   wait; wut?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hagbard Celine said:

the next level is IDF package bombs in manhattan.....   wait; wut?

eek. I can't go there with you man, sounds not too far a stones thrown from AZC/AIPAC, FARA, Kennedy assassination stuff man. 

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

Biggest news week on this thread. NYT told me so yesterday. 

Gaza has been the deadliest place for aid workers since the Oct. 7 attacks. According to the Aid Worker Security Database, a compilation of data on attacks funded by the United States Agency for International Development, 203 aid workers have been killed in Gaza since the war started. All were Palestinian, except for six of the World Central Kitchen workers most recently killed, who were citizens of Australia, the United States, Canada, Poland and Britain. 

So post that vs. your hot takes.

3 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Don't go soft now Inka. Lots of news links posted last couple pages. Haaretz, CBS, NYT, WH.gov, etc. If you want to call out hot takes maybe you can find focus elsewhere. 

17 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Don't go soft now Inka. Lots of news links posted last couple pages. Haaretz, CBS, NYT, WH.gov, etc. If you want to call out hot takes maybe you can find focus elsewhere. 

When have I ever been soft? Don't remember you posting shit about Sudan, Haiti, Burma.

I have stood my ground so foooooccccckkkkk offf.

Fuck off man. You want hot takes? So talk about the other things.

One trick pony. So when did you post about other things?

Most of us agree with you. But we focus on news or discussing it.

And yes, I don't want this thread to be about politics. I like the UA thread that was monitored well. Can we have two?

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

So talk about the other things.

You want to talk about Sudan, Haiti, and Burma? Are we arming ethnic cleansing there too? Man a what a fucking world. Yeah, I am against that. It's not hard to be against the US arming ethnic cleansing. I know you agree, and glad others are coming along. Americans being maybe a bit dogmatic about not arming ethnic cleansing operations should come pretty naturally to non-sociopaths. If the same is occurring in those other countries and you want to talk about them, start those threads and watch them die from from lack of board interest, think about why that is, and then get back to me. I did it wrt US arming SA operations in Yemen on the other sub. 

Edited by Anastasis

Posted (edited)

I don’t believe this is CR, because I’m asking a procedural question, not a political one -

In a parliamentary system, I know they have elections on a schedule, and that the coalition government can call early elections (only done when polls show opportune times). If a coalition breaks because a minority party makes a break from it, does that require a fresh general election?

Edited by statsman

1 minute ago, statsman said:

I don’t believe this is CR, because I’m asking a procedural question, not a political one -

In a parliamentary system, I know they have elections on a schedule, and that the coalition government can call early elections (only done when polls show opportune times). If a coalition breaks because a minority party makes a break from it, does that require a fresh general election?

If a minority party leaves a coalition then it can force early elections by calling for a vote of no confidence, but they don’t always want to do that. If they don’t call for a vote of no confidence then the government can continue as a minority government. If they win a vote of no confidence then usually you’ll get a caretaker government appointed until there is a fresh election. 

6 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

5 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

When have I ever been soft? Don't remember you posting shit about Sudan, Haiti, Burma.

I have stood my ground so foooooccccckkkkk offf.

4 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

And yes, I don't want this thread to be about politics. I like the UA thread that was monitored well. Can we have two?

I went soft a long time ago and put a buncha guys on ignore.  I suggest you do the same.  Arguing with those doofuses will literally shorten your life, Brother.

I should add that there are other options as well, like the majority partner cobbling together another coalition after a vote of no confidence, or a new coalition coming together.  But for a minority party to force general elections they have to begin with a vote of no confidence. 

12 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

If a minority party leaves a coalition then it can force early elections by calling for a vote of no confidence, but they don’t always want to do that. If they don’t call for a vote of no confidence then the government can continue as a minority government. If they win a vote of no confidence then usually you’ll get a caretaker government appointed until there is a fresh election. 

Thanks. Then, I’m guessing a nation typically won’t have that happen in an active war. 

5 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

Anastasis is in here calling everyone racist and then announcing that he doesn’t give a shit about dead people unless he can blame the United States for killing them, which is super awesome. 

Its. Not. About. Palestine. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Senior UK jurists have joined calls to stop arms sales to Israel. Other allies face similar pressure

LONDON (AP) — More than 600 British jurists, including three retired judges from the U.K. Supreme Court, are calling on the government to suspend arms sales to Israel, piling pressure on Prime Minister Rishi Sunak after the deaths of three U.K. aid workers in an Israeli strike.

Britain is just one of a number of Israel’s longstanding allies whose governments are under growing pressure to halt weapons exports because of the toll of the six-month-old war in Gaza.

In an open letter to Sunak published late Wednesday, the lawyers and judges said the U.K. could be complicit in “grave breaches of international law” if it continues to ship weapons.

Signatories, including former Supreme Court President Brenda Hale, said Britain is legally obliged to heed the International Court of Justice’s conclusion that there is a “plausible risk of genocide” in Gaza.

The letter said the “sale of weapons and weapons systems to Israel … falls significantly short of your government’s obligations under international law.”

Britain is a staunch ally of Israel, but relations have been tested by the mounting death toll, largely civilian, from the war. Calls for an end to arms exports have escalated since an Israeli airstrike killed seven aid workers from the aid charity World Central Kitchen, three of them British.

Israel says the attack on the aid workers was a mistake caused by “misidentification.”

The U.K.’s main opposition parties have all said the Conservative government should halt weapons sales to Israel if the country has broken international law in Gaza.

Several senior Conservatives have urged the same, including Alicia Kearns, who heads the House of Commons foreign affairs committee.

Sunak has not committed to an arms export ban, but said Wednesday that “while of course we defend Israel’s right to defend itself and its people against attacks from Hamas, they have to do that in accordance with international humanitarian law.”

British firms sell a relatively small amount of weapons and components to Israel. Defense Secretary Grant Shapps has said that military exports to Israel amounted to 42 million pounds ($53 million) in 2022.

Other allies of Israel are also facing calls to cut off the supply of weapons and to push for a cease-fire in the conflict, which has killed more than 32,000 Palestinians, according to health authorities in Gaza.

In February, Canada announced it would stop future shipments, and the same month a Dutch court ordered the Netherlands to stop the export of F-35 fighter jet parts to Israel. The Dutch government said it would appeal.

Other countries, including Israel’s two biggest arms suppliers, the United States and Germany, continue to allow weapons sales.

Peter Ricketts, a former U.K. national security advisor, said suspension of U.K. arms sales would not change the course of the war, but “would be a powerful political message.”

“And it might just stimulate debate in the U.S. as well, which would be the real game-changer,” he told the BBC.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

image.thumb.png.6ad5cbcb604a526669c0d4cfc031ed43.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

6 hours ago, statsman said:

I’m having a hard time understanding this obsession with forcing an election. Gantz would pursue the exact same military strategy. 

55 minutes ago, Poester said:

I’m having a hard time understanding this obsession with forcing an election. Gantz would pursue the exact same military strategy. 

Well, some people just hate Bibi.  

8 hours ago, Parliament said:

I went soft a long time ago and put a buncha guys on ignore.  I suggest you do the same.  Arguing with those doofuses will literally shorten your life, Brother.

Just a test. Am I on ignore?

11 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Anastasis is in here calling everyone racist and then announcing that he doesn’t give a shit about dead people unless he can blame the United States for killing them, which is super awesome. 

Its. Not. About. Palestine. 

Unsurprising. Dishonesty, sociopathic projection, and propaganda artistry all in one post. Must be 956.  

• Fuck You 3

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/04/world/middleeast/israel-wck-gaza-iran-embassy.html?

Back-to-Back Israeli Strikes Show Tragic Gaps in Choosing Targets

In an airstrike on Monday in Damascus, Israel’s military displayed pinpoint precision. Hours later in Gaza, that same military killed seven aid workers.

About 5 p.m. on Monday, Israeli warplanes streaked across the Syrian border, striking an embassy building in Damascus and killing a cadre of senior Iranian military commanders with the kind of pinpoint accuracy that has earned Israel’s military fear and respect across the Middle East.

Several hours later, the same Israeli military rained missiles on an aid convoy on a coastal road in the Gaza Strip, a botched operation that left seven foreign aid workers dead and Israel’s reputation in tatters. Its leaders were forced to admit to a string of lethal mistakes and misjudgments.

How one of the world’s best-equipped, best-trained militaries could pull off a dangerous strike on foreign soil and then stumble with such tragic consequences in Gaza raises a raft of hard questions — not least how the Israeli military enforces the rules of engagement in its war against Hamas.

Its a real head scratcher, right? Free full text article at link. 

17 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Please take your hot takes to the CR. All of these actions have been discussed on this thread. Some like to discuss, you push your vision.

It's a NYT article published today. You got a poster on the last page defending "genocide as long as no one gets killed" and plenty of other posters rightfully talking about the ethnic cleansing taking place right now in response. But you want to whine to me. Come on Inka. 

I am sorry guys, I know its a beating to see the same avatar over and over and over again. No commentary so diapers are unsoiled hopefully. But its the news thread so here you go:

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/us-looking-report-that-israel-used-ai-identify-bombing-targets-gaza-2024-04-04/

WASHINGTON, April 4 (Reuters) - The United States was looking into a media report that the Israeli military has been using artificial intelligence to help identify bombing targets in Gaza, White House national security spokesperson John Kirby told CNN on Thursday.

Kirby, in the CNN interview, said the U.S. had not verified the content of the media report published in +972 Magazine and Local Call, opens new tab on Wednesday. It cited Israeli intelligence officials involved in the reported program known as "Lavender."

The media report said the Israeli army had marked tens of thousands of Gazans as suspects for assassination, using the AI system with little human oversight.

The Israeli Defense Forces denies that AI was used to identify suspected extremists and targets.

"The IDF does not use an artificial intelligence system that identifies terrorist operatives or tries to predict whether a person is a terrorist. Information systems are merely tools for analysts in the target identification process," the IDF said in a statement.

The statement added that IDF directives mandate analysts to conduct independent examinations, in which they verify that the identified targets meet the relevant definitions in line with international law and Israeli guidelines.

Posted (edited)

The Israeli drone team that killed seven aid workers lacked the evidence to order the strikes and twice violated the military’s operating rules, an Israeli military investigation found
https://www.wsj.com/world/middle-east/israel-to-allow-more-aid-into-gaza-after-biden-warning-over-u-s-support-49bc42e4?st=v362sr2qxf4viiw&reflink=share_mobilewebshare

I know the description doesn’t match the link title. They haven’t updated the link title yet. 

Edited by statsman

11 hours ago, statsman said:

The Israeli drone team that killed seven aid workers lacked the evidence to order the strikes and twice violated the military’s operating rules, an Israeli military investigation found
https://www.wsj.com/world/middle-east/israel-to-allow-more-aid-into-gaza-after-biden-warning-over-u-s-support-49bc42e4?st=v362sr2qxf4viiw&reflink=share_mobilewebshare

I know the description doesn’t match the link title. They haven’t updated the link title yet. 

Here's the thing....I don't believe the official Israeli line here.  I think that it's more likely that the IDF was doing something pretty close to EXACTLY what they were supposed to be doing, and that the fallout that we've seen (criticism and such) is acceptable "collateral damage" for Israel.

Israel got what it wanted: pretty much a full shutdown to aid to Gaza, which will necessarily force all Gazans to flee, completing Israel's goal of total ethnic cleansing.

And what did it cost Israel?  The careers of two officers that it threw under the bus.  And a stern talking-to by Biden.  That's a no-brainer calculus.  Israel just won that battle, soundly.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Here's the thing....I don't believe the official Israeli line here.  I think that it's more likely that the IDF was doing something pretty close to EXACTLY what they were supposed to be doing, and that the fallout that we've seen (criticism and such) is acceptable "collateral damage" for Israel.

Israel got what it wanted: pretty much a full shutdown to aid to Gaza, which will necessarily force all Gazans to flee, completing Israel's goal of total ethnic cleansing.

And what did it cost Israel?  The careers of two officers that it threw under the bus.  And a stern talking-to by Biden.  That's a no-brainer calculus.  Israel just won that battle, soundly.

Funny. Iran feels the same way about the USS Vincennes shooting down a plane full of civilians. 

The US also killed an innocent family of ten with a drone strike, in a screwed up retaliation at ISIS, two years ago. 

Mistakes happen. They’re awful. Decent nations acknowledge them (Russia, on the other hand, still claims to not be at fault for shooting down the Dutch 777 or the Korean passenger plane)

• Hook 'Em 1