aggy vs tennessee, Saturday Oct 14th at 2:30p on CBS

LTtxfan

5 hours ago, Duane Moore said:

This is all correct. The Tennessee OL should be better than it’s been all year and it was pretty good against South Carolina when they had these players back. They will hold their own against the ATM DL, not dominate it, but will give Milton time for some deep shots. Whether Milton and the Tennessee WR’s can connect on those is my biggest question. 

…but…they’ll have no Bolt McCoy to throw to.

Tennessee vs. Texas A&M: Game information, notes, storylines

Noah Taylor • VolReport

Tennessee head coach Josh Heupel  emphasized the importance of an open date last week.  The Vols, who had a number of players banged up through the first five games, used their week off to reset and get healthy after beating South Carolina, 41-20 two weeks ago.

Now No. 19 Tennessee (4-1, 1-1 SEC) will see if it paid off.  The Vols host Texas A&M (4-2, 2-1) on Saturday at Neyland Stadium, putting their impressive home win streak on the line while the Aggies, who are coming off of a 26-20 loss to Alabama, hope to end a road losing skid that goes back more than a year.

Here is a closer look at the match up.

GAME INFORMATION

Who: Texas A&M (4-2, 2-1) at No. 19 Tennessee (4-1, 1-1)

When: Saturday, Oct. 14 | 3:30 p.m. ET

Where: Neyland Stadium | Knoxville

TV: CBS (Brad Nessler, play-by-play; Gary Danielson, analyst; Jenny Dell, reporter)

Line: Tennessee -3.5

ESPN Matchup Predictor: Tennessee, 56.8%

Series History: Tied, 2-2

PREGAME NOTES

-- Both Tennessee and Texas A&M will be putting streaks on the line on Saturday. The Vols are a commanding 15-3 at Neyland Stadium under Josh Heupel haven't lost there since November 2021 vs. Georgia. The Aggies haven't won a true road game since beating Missouri in Columbia on Oct. 16, 2021.

Tennessee defensive lineman James Pearce Jr. has put together a strong sophomore campaign. He leads the Vols' defense in sacks with five, including two vs. South Carolina and he has totaled seven tackles for loss.

-- Tennessee will honor former defensive Eric Berry on Saturday. Berry, who was recently selected for the 2023 College Football Hall of Fame Class, was a two-time unanimous All-American selection during his playing career from 2007-09. He is the 26th Tennessee player or coach in the hall of fame.

-- Tennessee and Texas A&M have met four previous times. The Vols won match ups in the 1957 Gator Bowl and the 2005 Cotton Bowl while the Aggies have taken both games as conference foes in 2016 and 2020.

KEY PLAYERS

TENNESSEE:

Joe Milton, QB

Stats: 101-of-160 passing, 1,164 yards, 9 TDs, 3 INT, 56.2 QBR

Jaylen Wright, RB

Stats: 61 carries, 435 yards, 1 TD, 7.1 Avg.

Tyler Baron, DL

Stats: 12 tackles, 4.5 TFL, 4 sacks

Aaron Beasley, LB

Stats: 33 tackles, 8.5 TFL, 2 sacks

TEXAS A&M:

Max Johnson, QB

Stats: 51-of-84 passing, 675 yards, 7 TDs, 2 INT, 68.9 QBR

Le'Veon Moss, RB

Stats: 62 carries, 325 yards, 3 TDs, 5.2 Avg.

Ainias Smith, WR

Stats: 26 receptions, 431 yards, 16.6 Avg.

Walter Nolen, DL

Stats: 22 tackles, 7.5 TFL, 4 sacks

Edgerrin Cooper, LB

Stats: 41 tackles, 6 sacks

BY THE NUMBERS

231.2: The average number of yards that Tennessee's run game has put up though five games. The Vols lead the SEC in rushing yards per game and are ranked seventh nationally.

4.4: The number of sacks that the Tennessee defense averages per game, which ranks first among SEC teams and second in the FBS. The Vols have recorded at least one sack in nine-straight games.

6: The number of sacks allowed by Tennessee's offensive line this season. The Vols' front is second in the SEC in fewest sacks allowed and top 25 nationally.

20.2: The average number of yards Texas A&M wide receiver Ainias Smith averages per punt return. He has recorded at least 30 return yards in each of the Aggies' three SEC games this season.

57.0: The number of tackles for loss that the Texas A&M defense has totaled this season. That number leads all of college football. The Aggies have at least 6.0 sacks in three-straight games.

23: The total number of rushing yards that Texas A&M allowed vs. Alabama last week. The Aggies are currently the best run-stoppers in the league, holding opponents to less than 100 yards rushing in four of six games.

STORYLINES

Best vs. Best: Tennessee and Texas A&M will feature the SEC's best rushing offense and best rushing defense against each other. The Vols' running backs room of Jaylen Wright, Jabari Small and Dylan Sampson averages more than 231 yards per game while the Aggies' defense is holding opponents to just 84.0 total yards on the ground.

Opportunity awaits: Tennessee's offense took a hit against South Carolina, losing leading receiver Bru McCoy for the season and leaving a major void to fill in the Vols' passing game. At the X receiver position, redshirt freshmen Kaleb Webb and Chas Nimrod are expected to step up as well as transfer Dont'e Thornton Jr. who has moved over from the slot to the outside.

Winning the trenches: Tennessee and Texas A&M have two of the best defenses in the league, particularly in the trenches. The Vols' defensive front has been dominant to this point in the season and is led by James Pearce Jr. and Tyler Baron off the edge who have combined for nine sacks and 15.5 TFL.

Third down: The Tennessee offense has struggled to sustain drives at times this season and will be put the test vs. a Texas A&M defense that has been elite on third down. Opponents are only converting on third down at a 25% clip, which ranks sixth nationally.

3 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

Karic transferred to Tennessee, right?

Yep, he might still be injured...

Edit:  Andrej Karic's injury update

Offensive lineman Andrej Karic missed the last game due to an unspecified injury. Yet, even with the bye week, Karic is listed as questionable ahead of Saturday's matchup.

Edited by LTtxfan

1 minute ago, BamaATL said:

I don't know, because I've only ever driven by there.  The best frame of reference I have is that it's a lot like a fully enclosed Grant Field at Georgia Tech.  

Cotton bowl is old and cramped just under 100k seats and the leg room and side to side room is worse than an economy plane seat. But 30-40 rows up is still pretty close to the action. 

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

It's much smaller than you'd think.  Very cramped, but you are right on top of the field.  

It wasn’t cramped for long when I was there because they were getting throttled by Florida. It’s cool inside but looks pretty janky outside. Tailgating was good. 

2 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

It wasn’t cramped for long when I was there because they were getting throttled by Florida. It’s cool inside but looks pretty janky outside. Tailgating was good. 

Much as I dislike the idea of giving them props, the volunteer navy is pretty cool.  

3 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Looks old as fuck. Again kinda like the CB.

Between that one and the two blatant ones at the point of attack that weren’t called against ou last week, I’m starting to wonder if it is still against the rules to tackle a runner by the facemask. 

Edited by sidis

13 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

I don't know, because I've only ever driven by there.  The best frame of reference I have is that it's a lot like a fully enclosed Grant Field at Georgia Tech.  

Been to like 20 games there.  Very "echoey" and quiet unless it's a big game.  In that case, it's pretty loud.  And, yes, it does feel cramped when full.