NBA 2023-24

shadow_operative

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

this was posted 19 minutes ago:

Looks like the league was willing to let the authorities do the heavy lifting on this before doing anything. With the girl and her family not cooperating, the legal system unsurprisingly couldn't do shit.

I'm not getting into the morality of all this, but it's not difficult to connect the dots if the family hired Gloria Allred. You don't do that if nothing happened. This looks like a classic shakedown, but the league has an obligation to look into it. What do they do if they find out that Giddey paid her off? Good times ahead with the players association.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Looks like the league was willing to let the authorities do the heavy lifting on this before doing anything. With the girl and her family not cooperating, the legal system unsurprisingly couldn't do shit.

I'm not getting into the morality of all this, but it's not difficult to connect the dots if the family hired Gloria Allred. You don't do that if nothing happened. This looks like a classic shakedown, but the league has an obligation to look into it. What do they do if they find out that Giddey paid her off? Good times ahead with the players association.

It’s just a minor setback in his career. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

We need to have a conversation about The Good Jalen Williams on Okie City.  Since the first of the year, he's averaging 21 ppg on 66% shooting (63% from 3).  Also 6 assists per game.  Might be a hot take but I think if he was the primary scorer on a bad team, he'd be averaging 28-30 per game.  Dude can score from anywhere and do everything and a legit level NBA body.  Turns 23 in April.

• Like 1

We need to have a conversation about The Good Jalen Williams on Okie City.  Since the first of the year, he's averaging 21 ppg on 66% shooting (63% from 3).  Also 6 assists per game.  Might be a hot take but I think if he was the primary scorer on a bad team, he'd be averaging 28-30 per game.  Dude can score from anywhere and do everything and a legit level NBA body.  Turns 23 in April.
And his little bro is tearing it up at CU. Looking like a top 5 pick right now.

That family can hoop.
  • Hook 'Em 1

They seem to be committed to the "core 3" going forward.  (SGA, Chet, and Jalen.)  They'll use the 800 draft picks they have to fill in and/or trade for the rest of the roster.  I also get the sense that three of them are OK living there because they just care about basketball.  (That was lost in the James Harden trade.  He was never going to stay there and be 3rd option in a city with shitty strip clubs.  It sounds obvious to say that now but at the time everyone thought they were stupid for trading him.  He was going to leave regardless.)  Things can change, I know.....

Also, in regards to Harden, no one thought he was going to be THAT good, even the people on the team who saw him every day.  SGA was similar, too.  The people on the Clippers at the time have admitted they thought he was going to be good but not THAT good.  I guess basketball karma finally came back for the Okies.

Also lost in the Presti draft machine is Cason Wallace.  That dude can fucking play.  His stats don't jump out because of everyone else on the team but he just turned 20, can defend and shoot better than I thought.  He'll be a starting PG/SG on a title contender at some point.  Him, SGA, and JW were all drafted 10, 11, and 12.  If they redrafted all of those classes, they easily go in the top 3.  

20 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

They seem to be committed to the "core 3" going forward.  (SGA, Chet, and Jalen.)  They'll use the 800 draft picks they have to fill in and/or trade for the rest of the roster.  I also get the sense that three of them are OK living there because they just care about basketball.  (That was lost in the James Harden trade.  He was never going to stay there and be 3rd option in a city with shitty strip clubs.  It sounds obvious to say that now but at the time everyone thought they were stupid for trading him.  He was going to leave regardless.)  Things can change, I know.....

Also, in regards to Harden, no one thought he was going to be THAT good, even the people on the team who saw him every day.  SGA was similar, too.  The people on the Clippers at the time have admitted they thought he was going to be good but not THAT good.  I guess basketball karma finally came back for the Okies.

Also lost in the Presti draft machine is Cason Wallace.  That dude can fucking play.  His stats don't jump out because of everyone else on the team but he just turned 20, can defend and shoot better than I thought.  He'll be a starting PG/SG on a title contender at some point.  Him, SGA, and JW were all drafted 10, 11, and 12.  If they redrafted all of those classes, they easily go in the top 3.  

1. You are making a lot of assumptions about wealthy athletes in their early 20s wanting to live in Oklahoma. After that second contract, good luck. You know who else just cared about basketball? Kawhi Leonard.
2. Go talk to Seattle about basketball karma.
3. Cason Wallace is absolutely fantastic.
4. They are in a fantastic spot going forward: SGA is on a team friendly deal, tons of young talent and a treasure trove of picks. Fun times now and ahead for OKC fans. I'm interested to see how they do when teams start getting up for them and how they do in the playoffs. 

I watched the first half of the Nuggets game, and I see Jayson Tatum get a ridiculous technical for hanging on the rim, then at halftime, I tune in to the Phoenix game, and I immediately see Kevin Durant getting a technical for absolutely nothing. every single time I try and enjoy my time by watching sports, the officials find a way to ruin it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

1. You are making a lot of assumptions about wealthy athletes in their early 20s wanting to live in Oklahoma. After that second contract, good luck. You know who else just cared about basketball? Kawhi Leonard.
2. Go talk to Seattle about basketball karma.
3. Cason Wallace is absolutely fantastic.
4. They are in a fantastic spot going forward: SGA is on a team friendly deal, tons of young talent and a treasure trove of picks. Fun times now and ahead for OKC fans. I'm interested to see how they do when teams start getting up for them and how they do in the playoffs. 

I'm interested in the playoffs as well.  Last year they really hit the skids in the last month of the season.  Damn few of them had played a full 82 game season for various reasons (tanking, injuries, fake injuries, being rookies, etc.)  They simply ran out of gas.  They've had a good first half so far but I'm curious what March and April look like.

34 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

I watched the first half of the Nuggets game, and I see Jayson Tatum get a ridiculous technical for hanging on the rim, then at halftime, I tune in to the Phoenix game, and I immediately see Kevin Durant getting a technical for absolutely nothing. every single time I try and enjoy my time by watching sports, the officials find a way to ruin it.

11 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

the officials in boston suck.

We need more women refs.

Sorry!

She/they refs*

Edited by ztejas
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, shadow_operative said:

goddamn these officials are fucking this up.

Bad calls all-around. That jump ball seemed like a clear lane violation against Boston, yet somehow resulted in a jump ball at mid-court? Unless there's a rule forbidding the feint that Jokic gave to draw the lane violation.

Holy fuck what a stupid timeout. Jrue had Jokic dead to rights. 

1 minute ago, MrX said:

I’m on mute. How was that a jump ball?

Jokic and C's player(s) went at the same time apparently. I think it was the right call - Jokic had his toe on the line.

Booker and Durant tonight 78 points on 29/49 shooting. 
Can't quite put my finger on what this Suns team is. 

Easy. They have 3.5 guys with talent. 1 world class, 1 borderline and 1 career loser. The .5 can be a combo of Allen and Nurkic. If any of the 1s get hurt, they’re instantly a below .500 team. The .5s can help make up for the 1s injury but if he has one good game it can be guaranteed he follows up with 1-3 bad ones

Nobody on the bench and no big men depth after Nurkic
  • Hook 'Em 2

13 hours ago, ztejas said:

Bruh I just don't think Tatum is that guy. How do you not even get close there?

13 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

such a bad look with time left on the clock. 

13 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Lulz at Tatum embellishing his self-inflicted fall on that fadeaway at the end. See him flailing after he hit the ground? Garbage.

‘Tatum, who is 3-for-13 on game-tying or go-ahead field goal attempts in the final 10 seconds of fourth quarter and overtimes over the past two seasons.’

Guy is trash late.  This doesn’t even count his playoff misses which are adding up.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Mittens said:

Giddey was actually the only OKC player who didn't go.

Ha.  Article said ‘whole team’ showed.  I was surprised, considering how snarky HS kids are.  This makes much more sense.  

I still maintain he was the first to volunteer.  Bro was shut down.  I wouldn’t wish Gloria Allred upon my worst enemy.  

Watching Knicks vs Raptors on league pass and they just did some corny ass thank you tribute video to RJ Barrett and Immanuel Quickley. LOL

I’ve never liked these unless it’s a superstar that spent a decade plus and changed teams. I went to KGs first game back as a Celtic. He didn’t even play. Just popped out gave a wave and left, lol

These are a couple of role players tho. Both looked completely embarrassed they were doing this and didn’t acknowledge the crowd giving them a standing O lol

3 minutes ago, ocugolf said:

I don’t think the Thunder will win it all, but NOBODY wants them in a 7 game series. They are way outplaying their age

Yeah, they could beat or lose to anyone in a 7 game series, depending on their shooting.  

Tonight against MN, weird ending.  Dumb foul by Dort at the end and then Ant misses 3 FT's.

• Like 1