NBA 2023-24

shadow_operative

9 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

I tuned in during the 4th, I think the East should push for 200+ points and break that record finally. They are at 179 with 7 minutes left, they can do it if they want to. 

The game lacks any sort of intensity or urgency, which is what makes actual games so interesting. I realize the players don't have to care about this, but this is pathetic. There is no drive, no competition in them to win it. I may have been a kid in the 90s watching the greats back then play, but I don't recall it being like this. I remember MJ flying in to dunk a ball off the rim after a missed free throw. I remember people actually trying to block shots or force misses. I know it has been bad for a while, but what the hell happened??  

I watched like half of the first quarter, and thought to myself "how can anybody that is a part of this feel good about themselves?"

• Hook 'Em 1

They should make the NBA all stars  play against the g league. Those g league guys will go out and play as hard as humanly possible and then maybe some of these dudes will get shamed into actually playing some basketball. That's what happened in the rookie game Friday night. 

• Hook 'Em 2

if these soft ass players don’t want to compete they should opt out of the game. the whole purpose of the thing is to have one weekend dedicated to the fans. these soft ass, entitled kids couldn’t give a shit less. it’s pathetic. this weekend used to be badass. now it’s sad.

The crowd booing either jaylen brown or the judges on Saturday was a plus
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

It's too many 3 pointers man. Way too many. 40, 50 3s in a game is normal now and that just isn't what the game is supposed to be. I'm patiently waiting for the NBA to make a rule limiting the amount of 3 point attempts in a game.

Edited by Pam Cummings

7 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

It's too many 3 pointers man. Way too many. 40, 50 3s in a game is normal now and that just isn't what the game is supposed to be. I'm patiently waiting for the NBA to make a rule limiting the amount of 3 point attempts in a game.

You had better be patient, because that's not happening.

As I see it, the options are 1) actually let guys play some defense or 2) change the three point line. If you cut off the corner three, that might do it.

But they need to do something. I'm all for free flow and movement, but the game is generally not very aesthetically appealing to me these days.

• Hook 'Em 2

Holy shit just the highlights of this weekend were abysmal.

The LED alien vomit court for the 3 pt shootout was enough to know I'm out. Jumping the shark doesn't begin to describe things. Larry Bird is rolling over in his grave.

But that's just the "marketing" of it -- which only tells me the NBA execs don't know what the fuck they're doing.

So out of morbid curiosity, I tuned in to about 45 seconds of the All Star Game.

It happened to be the sequence of plays where Luka Doncic attempt an off the backboard alley oop and rejected himself.

Next, Dame Lillard throw up a half-court shot and made it.

I don't know which of the above was worse.

I think me and my buddies and guys I played around both attempted those things dozens of times in high school.

That's just what you want -- see the best of the best do the same fucking off things that every high schooler tries on a 9 foot rim.

I think the All Star game appeal -- in all sports -- was established because few could watch the top players around the league. In baseball, you didn't even get to see inter-league play, so an All Star game was the only chance some players would be on the field together.

Once cable and sports channels brought dozens of games, that unique appeal was gone.

And now it's "we'll get hurt" as if that's some foregone conclusion to trying hard or being competitive.

Hell the regular season now features the same attitude. No back-to-backs, extended rest, etc.

In games it's one-on-one "offense" and jacking up 3 pointers instead of ball movement and offensive sets.

A half-ass effort about 85% of the time until the mid-4th quarter and then the teams try to win.

Basketball popularity peaked in the 90s thanks to MJ, Magic and Bird. It's dropping every year since. Sports fans are going to football, and futbol.

The all-star game reflects how piss poor men's pro basketball has become.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

As I see it, the options are 1) actually let guys play some defense or 2) change the three point line. If you cut off the corner three, that might do it.

But they need to do something. I'm all for free flow and movement, but the game is generally not very aesthetically appealing to me these days.

To me it's just not entertaining to watch all the 3 pointers. We've both probably watched most Spurs games this year. It kinda boils down to all these teams shoot the absolute fuck out of the 3 and make a lot of them, and our team doesn't have anyone outside of Vassell that can hit an open shot. The entire game revolves around 3 point shooting now. If you can't do that, you don't have a chance. And I just do not like that only one style wins now. There's too many other aspects of the game that I wanna see at a high level, not just 3 point shooting. I think the 3 point line should go away after you take 30 attempts. Then bring it back in the last 5 minutes of game time and overtime so you can still have great comebacks.

Or allow more defense. Whatever. But it's just not an entertaining thing to watch anymore, for the most part.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, gofuckyourself said:

It happened to be the sequence of plays where Luka Doncic attempt an off the backboard alley oop and rejected himself.

Next, Dame Lillard throw up a half-court shot and made it.

I don't know which of the above was worse.

Luka's were way funnier

Halliburton's 4 or 5 consecutive threes was entertaining

NFL finally scrapped their pointless Pro Bowl game. NHL even tweaked theirs since I think theirs went the way of the NBA/NFL where it was a joke. MLB is the only one that actually resembles the real game since you can't really half ass and trick up a baseball game unless you get extremely wacky with it.

But the NBA as a whole is becoming less and less interesting. I'm not one who cries we need to go back to the 90s snails pace of play but there has to be a happy medium of what bwe see today and back then. Believe we had a good medium of this in the 2000s and 2010s. Not sure where you can pinpoint the turn of this style of play. Was it the Warriors? I know the Splash Brothers had a ton of influence to how kids coming up wanted to emulate. I read AAU is basically just a 3pt chuckfest now days. The 3pt shot used to be exciting to hit. A big deal. Now days, it's the opposite effect, boring as fuck. I prefer to see inside the paint play now days but it's becoming rare. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

the offenses have approached perfection in screens, picks, form, shooting skills, and passing the ball around the horn (baseball infield style).  Even expanding the 3 to 27' or more means Dame, Steph, Trae and some others still make a lot but would lessen the % of regular folks.   I say make it 29', widen the court by 5' each side, and eliminate the stupid defensive 3 seconds in the lane penalty.  And fouling a 3 only gets you 2 FTs (as was the case in the 80s). 

2 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

To me it's just not entertaining to watch all the 3 pointers. We've both probably watched most Spurs games this year. It kinda boils down to all these teams shoot the absolute fuck out of the 3 and make a lot of them, and our team doesn't have anyone outside of Vassell that can hit an open shot. The entire game revolves around 3 point shooting now. If you can't do that, you don't have a chance. And I just do not like that only one style wins now. There's too many other aspects of the game that I wanna see at a high level, not just 3 point shooting. I think the 3 point line should go away after you take 30 attempts. Then bring it back in the last 5 minutes of game time and overtime so you can still have great comebacks.

Or allow more defense. Whatever. But it's just not an entertaining thing to watch anymore, for the most part.

Defense should come back, agreed. 

Never thought i would think this was a good idea, but maybe the shot clock is too short. Teams take 8 seconds to cross half court then you have basically ten seconds to get a shot off, which leads to a three or one on one. Seems they don’t have time for set plays, passing etc. 

8 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Defense should come back, agreed. 

Never thought i would think this was a good idea, but maybe the shot clock is too short. Teams take 8 seconds to cross half court then you have basically ten seconds to get a shot off, which leads to a three or one on one. Seems they don’t have time for set plays, passing etc. 

used to be 10 seconds to cross half court. 

4 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Karl throws strays and doesn’t give a fuck about any fallout

He's tired of listening to Melo talk about how everyone in Denver is mean to him. So am I.  Dude, you wanted out and you got out.  Why are we supposed to love you after that? It's not like you won anything while you were here (or ever in your career outside of the Olympics).

9 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

I was going to post something similar.  I've been watching the Thunder a lot the past few years (tanking like the Spurs) and what stuck out to me is how everyone can shoot now.  Everyone.  They would bring in G League guys or have guys on the bench who were borderline NBA players and every single one of them could shoot.  All positions.  It's not like even 10 years ago where you had good defenders who couldn't score.  

You can play solid defense now but if all five guys can legitimately shoot, you're going to give up some points.

12 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

I was going to post something similar.  I've been watching the Thunder a lot the past few years (tanking like the Spurs) and what stuck out to me is how everyone can shoot now.  Everyone.  They would bring in G League guys or have guys on the bench who were borderline NBA players and every single one of them could shoot.  All positions.  It's not like even 10 years ago where you had good defenders who couldn't score.  

You can play solid defense now but if all five guys can legitimately shoot, you're going to give up some points.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nba/stat/three-point-pct

The teams that shoot the 3 at the highest percentage are all at the top of the standings. Makes Denver all the more impressive that they're 13th.

Edited by Pam Cummings

21 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

And yet the Spurs can’t seem to find any of these shooters.

It’s shocking when Jokic puts up a floater and doesn’t make it. 

Biggest issue with the NBA is whistling the defense for a foul when the offensive player initiates all of the contact. 

Shorten the regular season (won’t happen). 

Anthony Davis worried about getting hurt is funny. Dude gets injured tying his shoes in the morning. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I'd say a big part of it is a generational thing with the 1 and done mentality. Since they were a child it's been drilled into their head that basketball is a transactional exercise, you play you get paid AAU and college are just steps along the way to getting a big contract. In the end its become just another job something you do because someone will pay you money not because you love doing it. I'm no Kobe fan and sure he had other interests but he lived and breathed basketball all the Kentucky shitheads like KAT and Anthony Davis just wanna tweet about it and collect their money and fame.

Now I just sound like a bitter old person talking about how great it used to be back in my day.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Teams take 8 seconds to cross half court then you have basically ten seconds to get a shot off

what? you have at least 16 seconds left on the shot clock if you cross half court in time. 

11 hours ago, MrX said:

Biggest issue with the NBA is whistling the defense for a foul when the offensive player initiates all of the contact. 

yes.  start calling that an offensive foul and make that nonsense stop.

• Like 1

I'd say a big part of it is a generational thing with the 1 and done mentality. Since they were a child it's been drilled into their head that basketball is a transactional exercise, you play you get paid AAU and college are just steps along the way to getting a big contract. In the end its become just another job something you do because someone will pay you money not because you love doing it. I'm no Kobe fan and sure he had other interests but he lived and breathed basketball all the Kentucky shitheads like KAT and Anthony Davis just wanna tweet about it and collect their money and fame.
Now I just sound like a bitter old person talking about how great it used to be back in my day.

Just gonna shit on the guy who just dropped 50? lol

3 minutes ago, MrX said:

Outside of having to play the Wolves twice, the Celtics at home, and at LAC, the Nuggets have a manageable schedule down the stretch. Race for the one seed in the West should be good. 

Yeah, their first half schedule was brutal.  Lots of back to backs, too.  Hope they can stay healthy.