NBA 2023-24

shadow_operative

17 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

at worst the 2nd best player ever

at his peak, he’s definitely up there; for his career, he’s definitely up there; and yet i still can’t find myself to rank him ahead of someone like larry bird. 

name your top 10, 15, 20 perimeter players of all time. now rank them in terms of who you would want shooting a three for the win, an 18 footer for the win, two FTs for the win. lebron james will be near the bottom of your list every time. he’s one of the worst shooting all time great perimeter players, and he’s got to be just about the very worst at shooting clutch FTs among the all time great perimeter players.

so yeah, it’s weird. individually at his peak he has an argument for the best ever, and career-wise he has a great argument for top 5 ever. and yet he’s never been a great shooter, particularly from the line during clutch time. he’s also repeatedly deferred to lesser teammates in big moments in a way that mj, larry, kd, steph, etc never would. he’s very enigmatic to me.

Edited by shadow_operative

Doesn't LeBron have like the best shooting percentage ever in clutch moments? He's 39 averaging 25/7/8. To me he's either the best or the second best. In all my years watching Tim Duncan there were only two times where I thought the other team had a player on the court who was either on his level or better. Shaq and Lebron. That's it.

2 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Doesn't LeBron have like the best shooting percentage ever in clutch moments?

i don’t know what his overall percentages are but from the line he is famously un-clutch. he also used to shoot the technical FTs for cleveland back when he was running that organization, and he would regularly miss them while better shooters just stood their and watched. 

2 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

Doesn't LeBron have like the best shooting percentage ever in clutch moments? He's 39 averaging 25/7/8. To me he's either the best or the second best. In all my years watching Tim Duncan there were only two times where I thought the other team had a player on the court who was either on his level or better. Shaq and Lebron. That's it.

You’re not wrong but the convo is currently where he’s at.   There’s not a convo that he’s top 5 right now in my opinion. All time absolutely but not in today’s NBA at 39.  He’s not top 5 in any stat, his team is 9th in the west and he wouldn’t be a top 10 pick to start a new franchise with due to the fact that he’s 39.  

His accomplishments can be acknowledged and it still can be true that he’s not a top 5 guy currently.  

• Hook 'Em 3

I'd listen to an argument that his A game is still as good as anyone in the league who doesn't spend their off-season in Serbia.

But his A game is few and far between, especially on the defensive end. Top 5 guys are expected to be consistently excellent and carry their teams night after night. LeBron can't do that anymore in the regular season, and he hasn't carried a playoff series since 2020. He's still good for virtuoso game, maybe two, over a 7-game series, which is nothing to scoff at...but it ain't top 5 worthy.

Still really impressive that his cruising, conserve his energy B and C games are still good for 25/7/8 at 39.

Edited by aggie08

4 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

I don't really think it's that outlandish to say you'd take the guy who is at worst the 2nd best player ever who is second behind Giannis in fourth quarter scoring over a bunch of unprovens.

Giannis, Jokic and Luka are not unproven. Neither are Kawhi, KD, AD, Curry and Booker. Tatum is debatable I guess given his propensity to collapse in the playoffs. 

So you'd take him over Embiid and SGA and Haliburton. You do you I guess. 

And - for the record - I would take LeBron over a few of those guys in a playoff series still. But not the majority of them. That's insane. 

Edited by ztejas

Posted (edited)

Love this nascent Holmgren-Wemby rivalry. Do I think Chet is as good as Victor? No, but I still think he's a force on both ends of the court and an important cog in the machine that SGA is running.

Wemby continues to amaze. As good as most of us expected him to be, it's safe to say he's exceeded those expectations. As Emmitt Smith would observe, however, he's a diamond surrounded by trash. I desperately hope the Spurs don't fuck this up cuz Wemby deserves what's coming ...

Edited by Braff Zacklin

I think Amazon closed their VPN loophole on League Pass. Yes I watch the pistons sometimes on a side TV. For gambling. How are you all buying league pass these days? 
You were using Amazon to watch your league pass games? I still use my VPN to watch League pass but I go through nba.com
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

So many issues with that I'm not even going to start.

Mainly the Ant disrespect there is preposterous. How the fuck is Ant vs. Harden even remotely a debate? Isn't Minny the fucking 1 seed?

Edited by ztejas

50 minutes ago, Baboontyme said:

I think Amazon closed their VPN loophole on League Pass. Yes I watch the pistons sometimes on a side TV. For gambling. How are you all buying league pass these days? 

I signed up on NBA.com for LP. Every year, go to cancel it before the season starts and you get a 30% discount for renewing it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gsoda3 said:
3 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

You were using Amazon to watch your league pass games? I still use my VPN to watch League pass but I go through nba.com

Yes, I've been getting league pass and extra innings both though Prime pretty much solely because I could use the vpn and watch whatever I wanted. I use YTTV and they have severed ties with a lot of the regionals. Tonight I received a message when I tried to launch any game on League Pass that they detected I was using a vpn, please disable and try again. I have an IPTV sub but it kind of sucks. 

15 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

IMG_9916.jpeg

So It Begins Helms Deep GIF by Giphy QA

Me and my coworker were talking yesterday about how you just know something is going to go wrong with this Clippers team. 

Ain't no way the basketball Gods are letting that collection of guys win.

Nuggets pooped all over LeBron’s 40K game. Loved the banner saying “LeBron 4 shy of 40K” when he wasn’t even in the game. 

Lakers started Rui on Jokic. He immediately hit everything within 7 feet of the rim. Lakers switched AD onto him for the remainder of the half so Jokic started running point (MPJ was 10/10; 5/5 from three). Then when it got into nut cutting time Jokic runs 13 straight points for Denver all while AD looked helpless. What a beast. Playoffs are gonna be real fun. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Nuggets pooped all over LeBron’s 40K game. Loved the banner saying “LeBron 4 shy of 40K” when he wasn’t even in the game. 

Lakers started Rui on Jokic. He immediately hit everything within 7 feet of the rim. Lakers switched AD onto him for the remainder of the half so Jokic started running point (MPJ was 10/10; 5/5 from three). Then when it got into nut cutting time Jokic runs 13 straight points for Denver all while AD looked helpless. What a beast. Playoffs are gonna be real fun. 
I love Rui's game on offense. But putting him on Jok is a losing proposition.

31 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Ruining special nights for the Lakers never gets old.

I'm fine if y'all win two more before I have to watch LA or GS in another conference finals. 

Enjoy it man - I'm not even old enough to have enjoyed the full Duncan experience but that's what you're getting right now. He might be that good. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Are we still pretending Anthony Davis is some franchise player when he misses 30 games a season?

I like how your first issue with that list was Anthony Davis being too high.

6 minutes ago, Baboontyme said:

Forget it, I'll let someone else do it. 

Nah I'm right here I got it. 

I was thinking this morning that this would have been a perfect "swallow your pride and rest your stars because your not going to win anyway" game. Save your energy for the fellow also rans that you need to be at full strength to beat, and don't risk the mental reminder that you're not close to the elite anymore. Oops, too late.

2 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I was thinking this morning that this would have been a perfect "swallow your pride and rest your stars because your not going to win anyway" game. Save your energy for the fellow also rans that you need to be at full strength to beat, and don't risk the mental reminder that you're not close to the elite anymore. Oops, too late.

I thought aggy's never play to lose. Well unless a famous person is killed.

I realize everyone can score in the NBA now, but getting beat by 52 points means you are just not really trying. I do not watch the NBA like I once did due to other interests in life, but man lopsided beatdowns like this seem far more common now. 

48 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

I realize everyone can score in the NBA now, but getting beat by 52 points means you are just not really trying. I do not watch the NBA like I once did due to other interests in life, but man lopsided beatdowns like this seem far more common now. 

First time in Celtics history they have won 3 games by 50+ points in a single season.

• Hook 'Em 1