NBA 2023-24

shadow_operative

2 hours ago, Message Board User said:

This could be a problem for OKC in the playoffs.

Yeah, that's been a problem with him and Dort.  Giddey can be a good (not great) shooter but he has to hit open shots.  They're been pulling him early now if he's off and playing Joe or now Gordon Hayward.

With Dort, they actually need to play him because of his defense.  He's actually a decent shooter if he takes right shots.  (He's good from the corner.)  However, let him hit one or two and he thinks he's Steph Curry.

2 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Yeah, that's been a problem with him and Dort.  Giddey can be a good (not great) shooter but he has to hit open shots.  They're been pulling him early now if he's off and playing Joe or now Gordon Hayward.

With Dort, they actually need to play him because of his defense.  He's actually a decent shooter if he takes right shots.  (He's good from the corner.)  However, let him hit one or two and he thinks he's Steph Curry.

Phoenix / OKC was an interesting watch. The Suns came back from a huge deficit but their execution down the stretch was just horrific. Booker was out so take whatever you want from all that.  I've been trying to size up OKC for the playoffs and a few things stand out:

1. The OKC offense is a bit brutal to watch. It's SGA or Jalen Williams going one on one, or one of them screening for the other. Maybe you get a high screen from Holmgren every now and then, but there is so little weakside action and movement. It's weird because they run so much great stuff out of time outs, but the rest of the time it's iso after iso after iso with the other dudes standing around waiting for the ball at the three point line. I don't know if you can win in the playoffs playing like that. Teams will start to get a bead on how to guard you when you face them several times in a row. Or maybe SGA is just that good of a one on one player?

2. In addition to Nurkic killing them on the boards, he was pushing Chet all over the place. They are going to get pounded inside especially when they start letting more physical play go in the post season. Holmgren was -19 last night. The guy is not a center, at least not yet. With all of their assets, I just can't fathom that they didn't try to get some more beef for the stretch run, even a stop gap. Signing Bismack Biyombo off the scrap heap just isn't going to cut it. They are next to last in defensive rebounding percentage and give up the second most second chance points in the league. 

3. Yeah... the Giddey thing is a problem. Hayward hasn't gotten much run since they traded for him, but he hasn't looked good in the minutes he has gotten. He might be washed. I know they have a roster glut, but OKC may have been better off passing on that trade. Or moving some of those assets for a big.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

In early March, I reserve the right to change my mind , every team besides golden state I could make a case to beat OKC in round 1 from the teams currently slated in the 5-10. Phoenix by far has the next depleted big rotation. I would’ve added Dallas in there but they had a terrific trade deadline day. Holmgren is going to get punished by every team. They need to hope they’re on the clippers side of the bracket. Denver and Minny are too big for them in a 7 game series.

Can’t believe they stood pat on deadline. Yea Hayward was supposed to be some huge get and I don’t ever see him play. Good start to their road trip tho

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

In early March, I reserve the right to change my mind emoji2.png, every team besides golden state I could make a case to beat OKC in round 1 from the teams currently slated in the 5-10. Phoenix by far has the next depleted big rotation. I would’ve added Dallas in there but they had a terrific trade deadline day. Holmgren is going to get punished by every team. They need to hope they’re on the clippers side of the bracket. Denver and Minny are too big for them in a 7 game series.

Can’t believe they stood pat on deadline. Yea Hayward was supposed to be some huge get and I don’t ever see him play. Good start to their road trip tho

Their best player also has zero playoff experience.

They've been an impressive regular season team but barring some weird injury shit I'd frankly be shocked if they made the Finals. 

I like you guys a lot better and I obviously like Denver better. Even LAC and PHO I can squint and see a bit more easily. 

20 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Their best player also has zero playoff experience.

They've been an impressive regular season team but barring some weird injury shit I'd frankly be shocked if they made the Finals. 

I like you guys a lot better and I obviously like Denver better. Even LAC and PHO I can squint and see a bit more easily. 

Making the finals would be unprecedented for a team with that little playoff experience. I gotta think that getting bounced in the first round would be a disappointment if they end up with the 1 or 2 seed. Getting worked in 4-5 games in the second round would be slightly deflating but okay all things considered. Losing a long, competitive round 2 series would be more than acceptable. Getting to the conference finals or beyond is gravy. 

I hadn't really thought about the matchups, and the west is so deep it probably doesn't matter. But if I were them I would want to avoid DEN, MIN, NOP, SAC, LAL and maybe PHX. All those teams have some capacity to beat the shit out of you in the paint. The west playoffs are going to be so much fun. I just hope that everybody stays healthy other than the Clippers.

Time for Garland to step up and show what he can do.  

Btw, is Brunson OK? He left the game last night on the first possession with what looked like a ligament tear, given the way he acted. They said it was a bruise from banging knees, but I have never seen anyone act like they got shot in the leg from a light contact "bruise" like that. 

12 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

That was amazing, but I had to dial back my enthusiasm when I realized it was against the Bullets. It's kinda like a highlight from the all-star game. Should it really count if the other team isn't trying or abjectly awful?

That was amazing, but I had to dial back my enthusiasm when I realized it was against the Bullets. It's kinda like a highlight from the all-star game. Should it really count if the other team isn't trying or abjectly awful?

They made it competitive. I saw some B/R bet reel about some fighter putting 25K on Utah ML and his emotions as it was only like a 2 pt game heading into the 4th. When Utah eventually won he was all “no sweat…we knew it all along yaddy yada “ lol

Celts lost. Let Cleveland back in.

Tatum was fouled with .7 left, one point down. Call overturned.

Also, I thought the play clock on a tip off started when the player receiving, not tipping the ball, catches. Just like an inbound.

4 hours ago, Message Board User said:

Tune in to see if he can make history.

Dean tried his hardest, just 39,538 short. 

Watching on LP with no commercials has some really funny shit sometimes. Check this out:

• Like 1

I've been writing PHO off all season but tonight was different. No Book and they came in guns blazing and didn't quit. 

The vet scoring ability from KD and Beal on top of Booker's game is going to be a problem if they can keep their role guys engaged and playing good D.

Vogel was a great hire for them. 

13 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

Celts lost. Let Cleveland back in.

Tatum was fouled with .7 left, one point down. Call overturned.

What's fucked up is that with no foul called in the 1st place, the Celtics win because Porzingis had the putback that was erased due to the foul.  Whatever - they shouldn't have let the Cavs back in it to begin with.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

By his standards, Jokic had a poor game tonight. I think he's washed.

Nugs would do well to trade him, while he still has some value. I suggest sending him to the Spurs for a late second-rounder and Cedi Osman.

Jok had a bad game last night, no doubt about that.  Lots of turnovers and missed several shots he usually makes, including what would have been the game winner.

13 hours ago, ztejas said:

They all of a sudden look extremely dangerous. 

I'd bet that even Suns, KD-hater @Mitch Cumsteen would agree. 

That's not fair. I'm not a Suns or KD hater. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Suns or KD lover, either. But still... 

I just think their roster is poorly constructed and while I can respect the balls on their owner for going all in, I think they are in for a world of hurt in the not too distant future. KD and Beal are both past their primes and brittle. They mortgaged all their picks and the second apron is about to come down on them, hard. If this iteration doesn't get it done, what then? They can't re-tool around them. Their only real tradeable asset is Booker and they can't even unload him to tank because they don't own their picks. 

It took the Knicks a decade to crawl out from Isiah Thomas mortgaging their future. I can't believe the Suns are letting him anywhere near their decision makers.

they showed a graphic during the 3Q last night that showed that the suns are the worst 4Q team in the nba by an almost unbelievable margin- as in 3x worse in the 4Q than the next worst team in the list. the suns proceeded to lose the 4Q 21-12 and got taken to OT. you can’t be the worst team in the nba (ever?!?) in the 4Q and be considered a contender.

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

That's not fair. I'm not a Suns or KD hater. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Suns or KD lover, either. But still... 

I just think their roster is poorly constructed and while I can respect the balls on their owner for going all in, I think they are in for a world of hurt in the not too distant future. KD and Beal are both past their primes and brittle. They mortgaged all their picks and the second apron is about to come down on them, hard. If this iteration doesn't get it done, what then? They can't re-tool around them. Their only real tradeable asset is Booker and they can't even unload him to tank because they don't own their picks. 

It took the Knicks a decade to crawl out from Isiah Thomas mortgaging their future. I can't believe the Suns are letting him anywhere near their decision makers.

Ishbia is from Michigan and probably grew up idolizing IT.  I'm all for the Suns implosion, though.

32 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

they showed a graphic during the 3Q last night that showed that the suns are the worst 4Q team in the nba by an almost unbelievable margin- as in 3x worse in the 4Q than the next worst team in the list. the suns proceeded to lose the 4Q 21-12 and got taken to OT. you can’t be the worst team in the nba (ever?!?) in the 4Q and be considered a contender.

Who is their PG? Do they even have one?

7 hours ago, Mittens said:

What's fucked up is that with no foul called in the 1st place, the Celtics win because Porzingis had the putback that was erased due to the foul.  Whatever - they shouldn't have let the Cavs back in it to begin with.

They should have called Tatums shove of Garland before the shot, making the rest of it moot. That's why he got such a clean shot to brick. 

• Like 1