NBA 2023-24

shadow_operative

I commented on it when the seeding got finalized, but again, OKC was a huge winner. They will get one of two teams they are better than with at least 2 additional games rest and have HCA until the Finals.

I really wouldn't be surprised to see them make the Finals, although I think I'd have it as something like 40%/30%/20%/10% Denver/Minny/OKC/(DAL/LAC)

38 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Nobody is discounting the Celtics place in NBA history. Let's face it, they are arguably the third greatest franchise behind the Spurs and Lakers. But since the Heat entered the league in 1988, they have been to 7 finals and won 3 titles. Over that same period, the Celtics have been to 3 finals and won 1 title. You want to throw out the Lebron years, then you should probably throw out the KG/Pierce/Allen years that started all of that super team bullshit in the first place. In that case, it's 3 finals and 1 title for the Heat and 1 finals and 0 championships for the Celtics. Other than their first few expansion years, the Heat have been a better overall franchise than the Celtics by just about any metric and especially since Pat Riley got there.

I know the Heat are a good franchise. I just do not like anything Miami. Lived there long enough.

And yes, take out those years. Celtics are a global brand and when down they rebuild.

I didn't watch the game between the Lakers and Nuggets but, I did look at the stats. Lakers shot 35 3s to the Nuggets 38. The Lakers were 18/27 from the FT line and Denver made 8/9.

The Lakers were called for 12 fouls to Denver's 16. 

Were the Lakers non-3 shots all drives to the hoop? Points in the paint had LA with 52 and Denver with 46. 

I did watch the game. The reversed call was bad. But when it happened in the other direction when Russell was smacked in the head in the other game I didn't hear any conspiracy theories. The most annoying thing was Austin Reaves doing the thing where he pump fakes someone, gets them in the air, then bumps into them to get a foul call. That's really annoying. But he is not the only one doing that. I've seen Jokic do it too. That particular call really annoys me when it happens.

• Hook 'Em 3

@Pam Cummings I think what gets most people so upset in the inconsistency. One referee sees the same thing the opposite the way another ref sees it. That seems to be in college as well, and even to high school.

At the Pitt games this year our group always jokes about how the refs should come and call the game from our corner seats because, obviously, people see the game so much better 20 rows off the floor than the refs see things.

32 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

@Pam Cummings I think what gets most people so upset in the inconsistency. One referee sees the same thing the opposite the way another ref sees it. That seems to be in college as well, and even to high school.

At the Pitt games this year our group always jokes about how the refs should come and call the game from our corner seats because, obviously, people see the game so much better 20 rows off the floor than the refs see things.

To me it just comes off as "but the refs" was a pre-loaded excuse for Nuggets fans in case this series was close or they somehow lost.

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

The NBA ref conspiracy theory trope is so lame and tired.

This just in: they miss calls. They are human. It happens. Anything beyond that is black helicopter shit. Except for Tony Brothers. He's just fucking incompetent.

With any other team involved, I agree with you.  With the Lakers, the evidence shows you're wrong.  The NBA really, really wants LA to be relevant.  Look at the fucking call they reversed last night on Jokic.  He fucking got mugged and they said it was marginal contact.

Don't forget that the NBA actually had a ref go to prison for rigging games.  And he was besties with Scott Foster who is still an active ref.

1 hour ago, Pam Cummings said:

I did watch the game. The reversed call was bad. But when it happened in the other direction when Russell was smacked in the head in the other game I didn't hear any conspiracy theories. The most annoying thing was Austin Reaves doing the thing where he pump fakes someone, gets them in the air, then bumps into them to get a foul call. That's really annoying. But he is not the only one doing that. I've seen Jokic do it too. That particular call really annoys me when it happens.

The difference with the DLo call (although I agree it should have been a foul) was that the ball had already left his hand when he got hit.  Jok still had the ball in his hand.

Edited by Chewbacca
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, MrX said:

The Nuggets are pretty banged up. Glad the series doesn’t start until Saturday. KCP is going to need to defend Ant quite a bit and if he’s not close to 100 percent that’s gonna be a huge problem.

Yeah, KCP's ankle is going to be a huge factor.  Hope he's better by Saturday.  Can't guard Ant if he's gimpy.

The NBA ref conspiracy theory trope is so lame and tired.
This just in: they miss calls. They are human. It happens. Anything beyond that is black helicopter shit. Except for Tony Brothers. He's just fucking incompetent.

Oh I’m sure you’ve sent Joey Crawford Christmas cards the last 25 years

7 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Oh I’m sure you’ve sent Joey Crawford Christmas cards the last 25 years

I never felt like Joey was complicit in any gambling scheme or league edict, he was just a huge asshole.

1 hour ago, PittsburghTiger said:

The Knicks have been on fire in this second quarter.    Fun game.

Agree... 4th quarter has a chance to be epic.  Both teams looked tired at end of 3rd.  

Knicks lead 70-69  after 3

Out of the teams on that side of the bracket, I would like to see Indy go to the ECF. They should wrap up their series tonight and have a few days rest before playing again. 

Cavs/Magic has been really close all game, hoping the Cavs pull it out here and go up 3-2, cause I don't see them winning 2 in a row. They need some time to prepare for the Celtics if they can finish off the Magic. 

What’s the point at trying to contest/block a 3 pt shot by jumping at the shooter? I can’t remember the last time anyone was close enough to block a 3 while the ball was still in the shooters hands. They get blocked by tall guys closing out but that’s after the ball is shot. Seems like just staying put and not biting on a pump fake can avoid these foul bait plays

Obv giving up a 4 pt play in that moment is 1 in a thousand and my post is hindsight is 50-50…but makes you think about contesting a 3 and probably landing in the shooters space

1 hour ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

What’s the point at trying to contest/block a 3 pt shot by jumping at the shooter? I can’t remember the last time anyone was close enough to block a 3 while the ball was still in the shooters hands. They get blocked by tall guys closing out but that’s after the ball is shot. Seems like just staying put and not biting on a pump fake can avoid these foul bait plays

Obv giving up a 4 pt play in that moment is 1 in a thousand and my post is hindsight is 50-50…but makes you think about contesting a 3 and probably landing in the shooters space

Would have been better off not contesting. Absolutely. And when they were up 3 they should have fouled instead of letting them shoot a 3.

Late game tonight is Clips/Mavs for a pivotal Game 5 at 9pm CST. Whoever loses this series is probably going to be making a lot of big changes in the offseason, so a lot on the line. Winner gets to play a very young and inexperienced OKC, which should be a good series either way.