4. Kyle Tucker - RF
5. Jose Abreu - 1B
6. Yainer Diaz - C
7. Chas McCormick - LF
8. Mauricio Dubon - CF
9. Jeremy Peña - SS

not sure how far we’ll be under the cap

Edited by tx 3 putt

In case you’re wondering, Ausmus managed Verlander while he was in Detroit. I was hoping they didn’t get along, so maybe JV could talk some sense into his boy Jim Crane. 
But nope. From what I can tell using the google machine JV and Ausmus are buddies.
We’re doomed. 

• Rage+1 1

39 minutes ago, oh_snap said:

In case you’re wondering, Ausmus managed Verlander while he was in Detroit. I was hoping they didn’t get along, so maybe JV could talk some sense into his boy Jim Crane. 
But nope. From what I can tell using the google machine JV and Ausmus are buddies.
We’re doomed. 

maybe he’ll get called up by IDF ?

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Without a move, here we are …

1. Jose Altuve - 2B
2. Alex Bregman - 3B
3. Yordan Alvarez - DH
4. Kyle Tucker - RF
5. Jose Abreu - 1B
6. Yainer Diaz - C
7. Chas McCormick - LF
8. Mauricio Dubon - CF
9. Jeremy Peña - SS

4 stars, 3 borderline stars, and 2 average players.  The bench would feature 3 below average bats (Kessinger, Singleton, Meyers) and a backup C who projects to be a poor hitter (Salazar).  Adding a LF who would be an above average hitter (moving McCormick to CF) and a backup C who would be a below average hitter would really deepen the roster to where it needs to be to keep up with the other good teams in the league.

4 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

While Ausmus is nobody's first choice, he's still an improvement, right?

Absolutely not.  I would 100% prefer Baker over Ausmus.

Edited by Snake Diggity

2 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

Absolutely not.  I would 100% prefer Baker over Ausmus.

Okay, why?

I'm not trying to be argumentative.  I get that Ausmus is generally considered a dipshit.  But, after the parade of dumbassery from Dusty for four years, how/why is Ausmus a downgrade?  Because it seems impossible?

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Okay, why?

I'm not trying to be argumentative.  I get that Ausmus is generally considered a dipshit.  But, after the parade of dumbassery from Dusty for four years, how/why is Ausmus a downgrade?  Because it seems impossible?

He’s been a shitty manager.  All 5 MLB teams he’s managed have underperformed.  If he hadn’t gone to Dartmouth there’s absolutely nothing about him that anyone would cite as evidence that he’s qualified.  And despite his Ivy League background, he is well known to not be willing to embrace/learn the value of analytics or forward-thinking baseball.  The fact that Bagwell is his champion should really be all you need to know.

He probably wouldn’t make as many maddening playing time decisions as Baker, but he has nowhere near Baker’s ability to control the clubhouse and foster a productive culture.

Ausmus was a very good defensive catcher as a player.  But he has no redeeming qualities as a manager.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Without a move, here we are …

1. Jose Altuve - 2B
2. Alex Bregman - 3B
3. Yordan Alvarez - DH
4. Kyle Tucker - RF
5. Jose Abreu - 1B
6. Yainer Diaz - C
7. Chas McCormick - LF
8. Mauricio Dubon - CF
9. Jeremy Peña - SS

So a better team than what we were already running out there nightly lmao

• Hook 'Em 5

3 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Does asmus wait until tomorrow to start moving in his stuff ?

I don't have any doubt that Brad is a fine coach. I think he would make a great position coach, maybe a bench coach.

But I don't believe he belongs at what should be one of the three most powerful baseball franchises in the world right now. I don't think it adds up

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Scraps said:

to be fair so was most of y'alls loverboy Hinch before he got here and he rode the talent to the top 

Yep. We have had two of the dumbest mother fuckers to ever manage win a title in Houston. While I would prefer a different person for the job, with the talent we have we are the LSU of the MLB. Managers come here a fail upwards. Now Brown was his work cut out to make this team idiot proof, like Luhnow and Click did before him.

First order of on field personnel business, you make Framber and Tucker your best offers, and if they say no, you trade them for a package of prospects with at least 2 combined MLB ready players included.

You need to upgrade LF over Dubon, because Chas should be your everyday CF. You need a lefty in that position. You need a backup catcher and a backup corner IF, that guy should be a lefty as well.

The backup CI should be a guy like Mike Moustakas. A veteran that has been a major contributor on a team that has won a WS, that will be looking for a vet minimum deal and a backup role. The available FAs in the OF are pretty slim pickings. So, if none of your prospects are ready, Loperfido. Then you should be looking at a 1-year deal with Pederson, Kiermaier, and Winker being the best options.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, kevwun said:

Bagwell needs to go back to drinking.  Drunk Uncle Jeff who no one took seriously was much better for the Astros.

Bagwell is starting to make me root for the cocaine.

21 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Anyone that seriously thinks we go into next year with a Meyers/Dubon platoon in CF is a fucking moron.

24 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Bagwell is starting to make me root for the cocaine.

Anyone that seriously thinks we go into next year with a Meyers/Dubon platoon in CF is a fucking moron.

Yeah, so, any top CFs available out there? Serious question.

Also, maybe an unpopular opinion, but it seems to me like we could do a lot worse than keeping Maldy around as a backup/mentor assuming he'd be up for it. Yainer's the man, but he  can't catch every day.

11 minutes ago, wood said:

Yeah, so, any top CFs available out there? Serious question.

Also, maybe an unpopular opinion, but it seems to me like we could do a lot worse than keeping Maldy around as a backup/mentor assuming he'd be up for it. Yainer's the man, but he  can't catch every day.

Are the pitchers up for it? That’s why I don’t think you can bring Maldy back even as a backup. That has the potential of creating significant clubhouse tension on Day 1. They need to rip the band-aid off and lose his agents number. There should be plenty of backup catchers available who can catch 30 games next year.

Also I will be shocked if any team gives Maldy a major league contract this season. 

• Hook 'Em 4

14 minutes ago, wood said:

Fuck no. Seriously fuck no. This idea that Maldonado is good in any way based on the last season of data is retarded.

• Hook 'Em 2

22 minutes ago, hornmpa96 said:

Are the pitchers up for it? That’s why I don’t think you can bring Maldy back even as a backup. That has the potential of creating significant clubhouse tension on Day 1. They need to rip the band-aid off and lose his agents number. There should be plenty of backup catchers available who can catch 30 games next year.

This.  Because the SPs need to be told they do not get to decide who they pitch to.  Bring Maldy back, JV has a bad start with Diaz = massive drama 

• Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

This is not a serious question when you have a team-controlled Chas McCormick on your roster.

Yeah maybe he'll actually get to play CF more now. I was thinking more in the current vein.

49 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

Chas McCormick is available.

Cool. They should go get that guy! ; )

54 minutes ago, hornmpa96 said:

Also I will be shocked if any team gives Maldy a major league contract this season. 

53 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Fuck no. Seriously fuck no. This idea that Maldonado is good in any way based on the last season of data is retarded.

52 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Yeah, the first sign of a Yanier slump and Maldonado will be starting again.  I don't think you can have him on the team at all.

31 minutes ago, Js1 said:

This.  Because the SPs need to be told they do not get to decide who they pitch to.  Bring Maldy back, JV has a bad start with Diaz = massive drama 

Cool. Makes sense. I ain't married to the guy. Just want whatever is best for the team going forward.

My list of preferred realistic free agent targets in order by position of need:

backup catcher: Tom Murphy, Victor Caratini, Yasmani Grandal, Mike Zunino, Gary Sanchez

LF: Joc Pederson, Robbie Grossman, Michael Brantley, Tommy Pham, Joey Gallo

RP: Matt Moore, Jordan Hicks, Reynaldo Lopez, Joe Jimenez, Will Smith

SP: James Paxton, Luis Severino, Frankie Montas, Wade Miley, Alex Wood