Houston Astros off-season thread

Wulaw Horn

20 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Yeah, they'll wait a few months to see if it gets better and then he will have TJ surgery late in the season and will end up missing 2 whole seasons.

I really need to brush up on the medical side on this as to what they wait and see on.  Seems it rarely gets better with time.

I get you don’t want to out a guy under the knife unless absolutely necessary, but that extra year isn’t an insignificant factor either.

51 minutes ago, runthebone said:

I'm always shocked when they say Urquidy is 28.  Feels like he's 34.

Yep. I had to look it up as well.

It’s because he somehow felt like a grizzled veteran in the 2019 World Series instead of a rookie that only had 11 MLB appearances up until that point

starting rotation (with probable first 4 opponents)

Framber Valdez (NYY, Tor, @Tex, Tex)

Christian Javier (NYY, Tor, @KC, Tex)

Hunter Brown (NYY, @Tex, @KC, ATL)

JP France (NYY, @Tex, @KC, ATL)

Ronel Blanco (Tor, @Tex, Tex, ATL)

49F70F34-E973-4BC0-AE88-64C02CE377A7.gif.c79b5319da9b2408b6388a2fab2d3065.gif

Brown/France/Blanco vs Atlanta…might want to leave the roof open to cut down on the LF window replacement costs. 

48 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

starting rotation (with probable first 4 opponents)

Framber Valdez (NYY, Tor, @Tex, Tex)

Christian Javier (NYY, Tor, @KC, Tex)

Hunter Brown (NYY, @Tex, @KC, ATL)

JP France (NYY, @Tex, @KC, ATL)

Ronel Blanco (Tor, @Tex, Tex, ATL)

49F70F34-E973-4BC0-AE88-64C02CE377A7.gif.c79b5319da9b2408b6388a2fab2d3065.gif

Brown/France/Blanco vs Atlanta…might want to leave the roof open to cut down on the LF window replacement costs. 

pair that with our typically cold bats out of the gate and should make for a fun april.

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Not one to get worked up over Spring Training performances, but we have a lot of important pieces looking like total ass right now.

i was pleasantly surprised looking up and down the lineup at some of our offensive stats.  typically our bats are cold from march until may.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

i was pleasantly surprised looking up and down the lineup at some of our offensive stats.  typically our bats are cold from march until may.

This. They were ice cold the first few weeks of ST but feels like everyone went from .100 to .350 overnight.

….which is good because we’re probably going to have to average about that to give our 7/8/9 guys with a lead to protect.

Edited by UTexasFight

The one where I give our chance at landing Snell at 10% and then he signs with the giants 30 minutes later while we were still on air. 
it’s a prospects episode. It’s high level not really specific in the weeds. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Storm the Field said:

Cabbage and Hensley sent packing to minor league camp. Loperfido still hanging in there.

not surprised to see lettuce fail

Hensley is a spare too

how soon until Singleton experience is over?

4 minutes ago, Pablo said:

not surprised to see lettuce fail

Hensley is a spare too

how soon until Singleton experience is over?

I think the 26th spot comes down to Loperfido vs. Singleton. With Loperfido taking Singleton's 40 man spot as well.

• Like 1
  • Drool 1

47 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Cabbage and Hensley sent packing to minor league camp. Loperfido still hanging in there.

With Kessinger hurt, Julks is likely to make the roster.  Very hard to see Joey Lopes making the roster.  If an everyday guy gets hurt he might be first in line though.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

With Kessinger hurt, Julks is likely to make the roster.  Very hard to see Joey Lopes making the roster.  If an everyday guy gets hurt he might be first in line though.

Our prescription for him to come up was to either have someone get hurt or him just mash in AAA such that they want to at least quasi platoon him with Jake or commit to getting him AB's 3 or 4 times a week b/c they feel like he doesn't have anything else to learn.  He just doesn't have enough minor league AB's to get 5 AB's a week with the big club, imo, at this point in his development.  

In July (after super 2 is over- minor concern but not nothing) as an opportunity to get his feet wet before taking on a bigger role next year? Sure, that makes sense.