Texas Rangers Offseason 2023-2024

ztejas

So it appears that the Rangers are going to agree to a one year and done deal with Bally's for 85% of what they were due. This probably means no streaming option in 2024. It does at least give them certainty this year and maybe now they can sign Montgomery.

On 1/20/2024 at 12:00 PM, CowtownHorn said:

I’m having a hard time understanding this tv deal. I mean, I’m sure that chunk of money is a huge part of the operations side of things, but is it so much so that it’s holding us hostage from making any moves at all? Like, there’s not even 1.9 million available to get Adolis signed? Or a few extra million for Montgomery? Maybe another decent bullpen guy? I feel like I spend enough on beer at Globe Life during the season to at least get Adolis taken care of. 

Haven’t read through the whole thread but CY isnt enamored with Adolis and flat out rejected Monty’s offer. TV deal has nothing to do with either case. 

19 hours ago, Dr Fear said:

So it appears that the Rangers are going to agree to a one year and done deal with Bally's for 85% of what they were due. This probably means no streaming option in 2024. It does at least give them certainty this year and maybe now they can sign Montgomery.

It gives me another year to find some way to get halfway decent unlimited internets at my residence.

3 hours ago, Rex Kramer said:

Haven’t read through the whole thread but CY isnt enamored with Adolis

that’s not true. But his first year arbitration $ amount impacts his second and third year arbitration amount. And we’re up against the luxury tax ceiling so every dollar matter. 

DirecTV Stream & Fubo are roughly $75-80/month. I still have old school DTV for more, but I never, ever have to search for a pirate stream for Rangers or Stars. 230 nights a year I can pick up the remote & watch two of my favorite teams on an actual channel.

I wasn’t sure if Spectrum still has Bally, but Same snuck that ^ post in while I was typing.

If you are married to YouTube for whatever reasons, fucking great. But that is a personal decision you are choosing to make, not a Bally problem.

If you would like to watch the defending World Champs this season, it’s as simple as picking the best option for your situation. 

• Hook 'Em 1

DirecTV Stream & Fubo are roughly $75-80/month. I still have old school DTV for more, but I never, ever have to search for a pirate stream for Rangers or Stars. 230 nights a year I can pick up the remote & watch two of my favorite teams on an actual channel.
I wasn’t sure if Spectrum still has Bally, but Same snuck that ^ post in while I was typing.
If you are married to YouTube for whatever reasons, fucking great. But that is a personal decision you are choosing to make, not a Bally problem.
If you would like to watch the defending World Champs this season, it’s as simple as picking the best option for your situation. 

Thanks. It’s nice to know what the options are and you seem pretty up on it.

BTW just because someone streams and they feel fucked by stupid fucking Ballys doesn’t make them any less of a Rangers fan.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Firemans4Horn said:

that’s not true. But his first year arbitration $ amount impacts his second and third year arbitration amount. And we’re up against the luxury tax ceiling so every dollar matter. 

100% true in both cases. With respect to Adolis, it’s moreso his agent. Who’s notoriously hated by every GM in baseball. But he rubs off on Adolis in a negative way. 

57 minutes ago, Jameslaw121 said:

Anyone here use Fubo? I use Hulu right now, but would switch as long as I'm not going to wind up losing espn or some of the stations my wife watches

You're going to lose TNT, TBS, TruTV, etc, but Fubo still has more good channels than YTTV.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

You're going to lose TNT, TBS, TruTV, etc, but Fubo still has more good channels than YTTV.

I have DTV Stream and am considering a switch to YTTV or something else. I’m fine with DTVS, but its cost is creeping way up, and I just don’t watch TV unless it’s Horns (including LHN for baseball), March Madness, or DFW sports, predominantly Cowboys and Rangers. Tell me what I ought to move to. 

4 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Last year’s Saturday of the Elite Eight were the last two non-CBS games. That would be March 30 this season. Rangers open March 28 on ESPN, off on the 29th.

You would only miss game 2 if you switched after Saturday night hoops. 

Comforting a little. I’m generally in public for opening Friday and Saturday of tournament and also for Sweet 16 weekend - always in Mexico for SB. 

I am going away from dtvstream after horns baseball is done on lhn.  

As it relates to the rangers- is the mlb.tv sub something that won’t be available for rangers games because of the above contract issue?  Since we are out of market now, most games should be available there. 

On 2/2/2024 at 1:39 PM, Rex Kramer said:

Haven’t read through the whole thread but CY isnt enamored with Adolis and flat out rejected Monty’s offer. TV deal has nothing to do with either case. 

He needs to become more enamored with Adolis.

Unsure how nuanced the service time numbers can be, but it looks like he has about 3 years now (duh to qualify) so after two more seasons there will be one more arbitration year before FA?  But he’s 30 now so interesting dynamics for someone who will be getting his first FA contract on the back half of his career. 

On 2/3/2024 at 3:56 PM, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Last year’s Saturday of the Elite Eight were the last two non-CBS games. That would be March 30 this season. Rangers open March 28 on ESPN, off on the 29th.

You would only miss game 2 if you switched after Saturday night hoops. 

Looks like fubo has a trial so I can start it a few days before and let them over lap a bit. Thing that sucks about stopping hulu is a I still have to keep the hulu & disney streaming stuff for the family. So it's going to tack on about $30 more a month for me to watch the Rangers.