Texas Rangers Offseason 2023-2024

ztejas

1 minute ago, DougO said:

Hope they re-sign Montgomery at a not too crazy price. Seems like they're mostly good with their free agents, otherwise.

You mean outside of the bull pen right??? RIGHT??? :)

What do we have other than Leclerc? Sborz was great in the playoffs, but not so much in the regular season. Burke? Bradford? Off the top of my head, I can't think of anyone else who is signed for next year

38 minutes ago, Jameslaw121 said:

You mean outside of the bull pen right??? RIGHT??? :)

What do we have other than Leclerc? Sborz was great in the playoffs, but not so much in the regular season. Burke? Bradford? Off the top of my head, I can't think of anyone else who is signed for next year

I'm talking about good with guys leaving. I'm all in on loading up on bullpen help.

Chapman will be a FA. I wouldn't hate bringing him back on a 1 year deal if he's not an asshole in the clubhouse.  He'll be useful during 162.

I was listening to KLaws pod yesterday and he said he wouldn't be surprised if Langford is ready when they break camp however they'll probably make him wait unless there's an injury.

Antoine Kelly is a RP in AAA that I was surprised they didn't call up in Sept.  He throws hard and has a funky crossbody delivery. He should be an option this year in the pen .

4 minutes ago, BigDHornfan said:

What’s Leody’s contract status?
I sure wouldn’t mind seeing an outfield of
Langford, Carter, Garcia.

324 games over 4 years. I don’t think he’s even arbitration eligible yet. Full club control. 

if Langford has a good camp, they probably stick him in AAA for the first however many games for similar club control reasons.  Would be a good add as an of/dh option. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

1 hour ago, Post Oak said:

Chapman will be a FA. I wouldn't hate bringing him back on a 1 year deal if he's not an asshole in the clubhouse.  He'll be useful during 162.

I was listening to KLaws pod yesterday and he said he wouldn't be surprised if Langford is ready when they break camp however they'll probably make him wait unless there's an injury.

Antoine Kelly is a RP in AAA that I was surprised they didn't call up in Sept.  He throws hard and has a funky crossbody delivery. He should be an option this year in the pen .

Happy to bring Chapman back. He was quietly very effective in the postseason - we just couldn't get more than 3-4 batters out of him. 

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Happy to bring Chapman back. He was quietly very effective in the postseason - we just couldn't get more than 3-4 batters out of him. 

I don't want him back. Or at least not back in a medium to high leverage situation. His numbers in the post season may look good, but that had a whole lot to do with some amazing defensive plays when he was in.

• Hook 'Em 1

I just default to the fact that if you have an opportunity to sign the best player in baseball, you take it. Everything else can be sorted out. 
He's way overpriced for someone of his age who just had surgery. His value is because he could pitch and hit. Well, who knows how long he will be able to pitch again. Let the Dodgers or Yankees take on that contract. I'll pass.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Vic Mackey said:
42 minutes ago, Constant said:
I just default to the fact that if you have an opportunity to sign the best player in baseball, you take it. Everything else can be sorted out. 

He's way overpriced for someone of his age who just had surgery. His value is because he could pitch and hit. Well, who knows how long he will be able to pitch again. Let the Dodgers or Yankees take on that contract. I'll pass.

That makes sense to me, too. 

My goal…spend another 1/2 billion or whole billion in contracts and plan the next parade in downtown FT Worth and the year after that in downtown Dallas.  

…and soak in the epsom salt tears of Houston fans like it’s the fucking Dead Sea, and look upon them like Conan.   

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d70siy6sc24tnl6qbz30

Edited by Trey3216
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, Trey3216 said:

My goal…spend another 1/2 billion or whole billion in contracts and plan the next parade in downtown FT Worth and the year after that in downtown Dallas.  

…and soak in the epsom salt tears of Houston fans like it’s the fucking Dead Sea, and look upon them like Conan.   

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d70siy6sc24tnl6qbz30

IMG_5551.thumb.jpeg.123d1308cea8c77e43882c46fd236845.jpeg

I may put this on a shirt and wear it to the next parade. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Evan Grant - 5 off-season questions

Spoiler

98 innings after being acquired, made $10 million in 2023. That’s likely to more than double for 2024 and beyond.

With Max Scherzer (even with the Mets paying a hefty chunk of his salary), rehabbing Jacob deGrom, Nathan Eovaldi, Jon Gray and Heaney, the Rangers already have more than $100 million committed to the rotation.

It’s true what Young says, “you can never have enough starting pitching,” but the Rangers may have other higher priorities to address. Namely the bullpen and DH.

Do they pursue a closer?

Conventional wisdom suggests that worst use of long-term free agent dollars is for a closer. The Rangers have done this twice in the last 30 years — for John Wetteland and Joe Nathan. Neither ever even had a postseason save opportunity for the club. So consider that a disclosure warning.

The best closer on the free agent market is Josh Hader, who converted 33 of 38 saves in 2023 and made $14.1 million. The market, though, is more likely what the New York Mets paid for Edwin Diaz ahead of 2023: $108 million over five years, an average of $21.6 million per season. Then Diaz didn’t pitch due to a knee injury. Actually, Diaz might be the better value. He is expected to be healthy for 2024 and the rebuilding Mets aren’t likely to contend. Would they be willing to eat a chunk of Diaz’s salary to acquire young talent? Before you say it’s preposterous, consider what they did with both Scherzer and Justin Verlander this past summer.

Do they try to get an extension done with a young player?

With all these dollars being thrown around, might it make sense to get some cost certainty on some of their young players with a club-friendly extension?

The Rangers have nine potential salary arbitration cases: Adolis García, Jonah Heim, Dane Dunning, Nathaniel Lowe, Josh Sborz, Brock Burke, Jonathan Hernández, Brett Martin and Leody Taveras. The first two on that list, both All-Stars in 2023, might be worth considering for extensions. García turns 31 in March and might want to get some long-term security for his family because he might pass his window for maximizing his value before he gets to free agency. The same could be said of Heim. Catchers are one home plate collision away from a drastic change in effectiveness.

And beyond that, there are the first-year stars, rookies Josh Jung and Evan Carter. Is there an opportunity to lock them up at more club-friendly prices now?

It’s a lot to consider.

It costs a lot to win a World Series. It may cost even more to pursue a second.

Related Stories

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Hornstrader said:

Montgomery pitched himself into one of the top 2 or 3 free agent SPs in this post season run. Hoping to get him for a reasonable price is probably not happening unless you think 5 for 125 is reasonable for a 32 year old SP.

Maybe I’m just traumatized and all the scar tissue around signing big free agents, but part of me is wondering if Montgomery is fools gold as an ace or top of the rotation guy who can be relied upon to get W’s. I know he showed it in the back half of the season and in the playoffs, but pitchers are a fickle people and my worst fear is signing him to a big contract after a small sample size of greatness and he regresses or sucks if not next year then the years after on his long term deal.

19 hours ago, Fudbelty said:

Wouldn’t hate it. 1b/DH/P in 25.
efc35ef6cbc1267f5a405acdeae15398.jpg

I would also love this but, to be clear, that article doesn’t even come close to saying Ohtani wants to be a Ranger. The guy simply handicapped what he thought the odds were of Ohtani ending up on certain teams. There was literally zero input or indication from Ohtani or anyone in his camp. That’s a wishful interpretation from Dallas Texas TV. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Can’t underestimate the added revenue from signing a player like Shohei. There will be a post-WS windfall anyway, but you add Japanese Babe and you’ve got a whole other rev engine. 

Also- what’s the contract status with Max? I thought he was back next year but can’t find info on it.