Formula 1 2024

Anton Chigurh

40 minutes ago, dieucla98 said:

Well... This practice session is giving a lot more hope than testing did. Surely the RB isn't running THAT weak of an engine mode two sessions in a row, right? Max is 0.5s slower than Ham on a supposed quali sim run and 4 drivers between the two of them. 

Max’s long runs in FP2 were way ahead of everyone else. They were sandbagging in the single lap pace. Merc was fastest in S1 and S3, which are mainly just straights, so it looks like they ran a higher engine mode than their competitors. In other words, we still don’t know anything other than Max will have a comfortable lead. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Anton Chigurh said:

A bomb has been dropped.

they sent it with everyone's names in the email addresses, so they outed a ton of folks private emails instead of BCCing folks because they are dumb.

Edited by NoName
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

Max’s long runs in FP2 were way ahead of everyone else. They were sandbagging in the single lap pace. Merc was fastest in S1 and S3, which are mainly just straights, so it looks like they ran a higher engine mode than their competitors. In other words, we still don’t know anything other than Max will have a comfortable lead. 

evidently Sam Collisn confirmed all Honda cars were still running in a lower engine mode for FP2

from reddit, someone said:

I can see RBR having the pace to at the very least match their pole time from last year. That's 1.2s faster than Max's FP2 time. MB would have to improve 0.7s to match that time. We'll have to wait and see how it plays out. Maybe RB won't be ahead in qualifying but will easily make it up in the race.

image.png.3df0fd23591b67e3a303a9bcf828d63b.png

• Hook 'Em 2

Yeah I don't really think we're really much closer to seeing the true pecking order than we were after testing, and even then, this track is an outlier. Drivers and others over the years have said that you don't really get an accurate picture of the pecking order until 4 or 5 races in. Alonso said this year it could be as late as Japan (GP #4).

• Hook 'Em 2

Oh, and JFC, can anyone tell me why the fuck Damon Hill is allowed anywhere near a microphone?

What a shitshow in the booth in FP1. The worst possible guy (Damon) is there, being corrected by the 2nd worst possible guy (Karun), who's being corrected by Zak Brown. 

Edited by wood
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, NoName said:

no. Max has 3 tenths on HAM/RUS

f63rqlz10klc1.jpeg

Yep. Long run pace sure makes it look like RBR will be out front pretty comfortably on Sunday, with a very tight battle behind between Ferrari, Merc, Aston Martin, and McLaren.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

First day overreaction 

looks like a clear 5 teams in the top ten fighting for Q3

Red Bull, Merc/Ferrari, McL, Aston 

Battle at the back looks interesting with Williams and RB seemingly at the front. Might not be a lot of points for the guys in this group this season 

Edited by ChickenSandwich

44 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

First day overreaction 

looks like a clear 5 teams in the top ten fighting for Q3

Red Bull, Merc/Ferrari, McL, Aston 

Battle at the back looks interesting with Williams and RB seemingly at the front. Might not be a lot of points for the guys in this group this season 

*4.5 teams.

Lance Stroll still exists, good sir. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

The last time Max wasn't the fastest in any of the practice sessions was last year in Hungary and he won the race by 30 seconds.  Red Bull ran hards in FP3 when everyone else was on softs.

• Hook 'Em 1

Am I secretly hoping that LH is in a title fight and that the car is a beast while Ferrari can't seem to get it right? I am petty and love F1 drama, so yes. Yes I am.

1 hour ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Am I secretly hoping that LH is in a title fight and that the car is a beast while Ferrari can't seem to get it right? I am petty and love F1 drama, so yes. Yes I am.

I don't know about the first thing, but the second part is guaranteed.

• Hook 'Em 1

The drivers have to be getting bored of this track. Put in hundreds of laps last weekend, turn around and have three practices. Meanwhile, look at everything there is to do around the track:

image.thumb.png.c1d7c6c7a10c4b1fd4545db93e9978e4.png

8 minutes ago, Fastbreak said:

Hamilton got some damage to the floor

I don’t know about that. The announcers were talking about last year’s deck damage and speculating that the excessive sparks are because this year’s car had similar clearance. 

Lol. Millions (billions?) spent, tens of thousands of man hours in between last year and this one to create new cars and the results are that Max is way out front, Ferrari is contender but well in second, Perez is well down, Alonso and Aston are solid but not his teammate. Mercedes is decent but trailing. 

All that money, time, effort and everything is the exact same.

27 minutes ago, NoName said:

FTFY

sgmk3ok5pykc1.jpeg

Counterargument: you have to pretty good at being the low tier guy that occasionally makes a Q3 to keep a seat without a podium in 203 F1 races.

Seriously, how is that even possible? Not a single race where the top guys take each other out, or he times the decision to go on/off inters better than most?

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Counterargument: you have to pretty good at being the low tier guy that occasionally makes a Q3 to keep a seat without a podium in 203 F1 races.

Seriously, how is that even possible? Not a single race where the top guys take each other out, or he times the decision to go on/off inters better than most?

12 career top 5s (a lot of those were in 2012-2015) - since 2015 he has 2 5th place finishes and that's it top 5 wise.

was looking at wiki and his 2014 season is funny. in 19 races he has 2 DNFs. so in 17 races completed he has 15 top 10s, never finishes lower than 12 and finishes 9th, 30 points behind Button (who had 0 points in 6 of 19 races vs Hulk in 4 of 19) and 40 points ahead of Checo. Massa finished 6th that year despite taking 0 points in 8 of 19 races.

idk man, he's just not very good in my eyes. scored 3 more points than Danny Ric (who was only in 6 races vs 24 for Hulk) and 3 more than Zhou. Mick scored 12 in the Haas the year prior.

Lol. Millions (billions?) spent, tens of thousands of man hours in between last year and this one to create new cars and the results are that Max is way out front, Ferrari is contender but well in second, Perez is well down, Alonso and Aston are solid but not his teammate. Mercedes is decent but trailing. 

I mean, for one, everything is not the same. Ferrari and Mercedes have made big improvements from the start of last year and have definitely made progress on catching RB. RB had a massive lead last year, so overtaking RB by the start of 2024 was never on the table.

Also, when you realize the top 4-5 teams all have some of the best people in the world working for them, it’s not that shocking that no one can make a massive gain over the other in a year. 

• Hook 'Em 1

If Ferrari managed to get a handle on their tire deg, they can make things interesting.  We'll see tomorrow.  Looks like a repeat of last year, though.

6 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

P3: 17 mins in and 3 cars have a lap time. 🤦‍♂️

Sprint weekends aren’t perfect but its still better than three identical practice sessions. 

Yeah but they aren't all like this, either, with the first Friday and Saturday sessions in the day and the second ones at night.

4 hours ago, NoName said:

Alpine looks horrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrible.

those dudes are megafucked.

r8zA7W.gif

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

I think they will run in the 1:28s in Q3.

Hulk shows he is a top 10 driver.

IMHO top 12. I was telling my kid during FP3 that Hulk is gonna embarrass KMag this year. Dude took 2 years off and beat KMag last year in a car he'd never driven. KMag only lasted in F1 beyond the first couple of years because he's always had shit teammates, until now. Re: the 1:28s, I thought so too, but it seems Max made a mistake on his last lap.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wood said:

Yeah but they aren't all like this, either, with the first Friday and Saturday sessions in the day and the second ones at night.

r8zA7W.gif

A tweak I think could work for P3 would be to shorten it to 30 mins. That should force more action on the track at least. 

Alpine went with the big fat nosed car:

image.png.a8dfa240db9ea33aa2a2261461c64c50.png

I've seen the Adrian Newey cow meme. I am now smart enough to know that wide nose is slowing them down.