Formula 1 2024

Anton Chigurh

1 hour ago, deft said:

It was wild that he controlled that much of the sprint for so long and then boxed by the end. And for that matter, any time we talk about drs trains, it involves him. Is that good or bad?

There have been loads of DRS trains for years that haven't involved him. It's just a couple recently. DRS trains aren't usually really the fault of the guy in front though. They're a symptom of having DRS. I.E. everyone has DRS, so they can't get by each other. If the 2nd guy (who has DRS) can't get past the guy in front who doesn't have it, then that's not on the guy in front. And the guy leading the train, who can't keep up with the car in front, is usually in that position because his car is too slow in race pace and he qualified it higher than it would normally be positioned, for one reason or another. But in the GP today I don't think he really caused a DRS train. For example as soon as Checo started putting pressure on him, he just moved over and let him past because his race really wasn't with Checo anyway.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1

So ...

- Alonso gets it wrong and bumps wheels with Sainz in the Sprint, with no consequences to Sainz, and ending his own race. He gets 10s and 3 points on his license, for something we've frequently seen not even get investigated or go unpenalized in GPs. 

- Sainz completely ignores the apex en route to causing a collision with his teammate. No penalty.

- Stroll drives into the back of RIC in the GP because he wasn't paying attention, ending RIC's race and damaging another car. 10s and only 2 points.  

- KMag literally drives all the way across the track and ends Yuki's race when he had all the room in the world. In the GP. 10s and 2 points.

How does any of that make any sense?

Oh, and KMag is just bad. That collision late was particularly terrible. People talk about taking seats from guys like Fernando or Lewis to make room for young new drivers, lol. I would suggest they're looking at the wrong end of the grid.

Then you have Sargeant getting to the safety car line a millisecond after Hulkenberg but passing him on pit exit. Penalty: 10s and 2 points. The fact that he got the same penalty as Magnussen and Stroll for something that wasn't his fault (no way he would have seen it, the team needed to tell him) is a joke.

What a shitshow.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 3

If Hamilton does not win a race this season, and it doesn’t really look like he will, his winning percentage will fall behind Schumacher’s. 

Schumacher won 91/306 races and Hamilton has, as of now, won 103/337. 

Schumacher is at 29.7% and Hamilton is right now at 30.5%. Add the rest of the season and Hamilton is at 103/356, for 28.9%.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, wood said:

In other news, man, Aston Martin should have put Fernando back on medium tires during that SC, but his run on mediums at the end was absolutely epic and almost covered that mistake. He was a rocket, and the save on the front straight ... just wow.  Should have been a Code Brown moment, but Fernando didn’t miss a beat. Immediately pressed the DRS button and got after Lewis.

It's easy to forget that these are (arguably) the 20 best drivers in the world...well, 19 if you rightfully remove Stroll.  Their reactions are often unbelievable, but that catch was just insane.  I'm sure the data is there on the internet somewhere, but he was probably >100mph when it stepped out?

• Hook 'Em 2

Fernando’s performance was indeed remarkable, showcasing his exceptional skill. The decision not to switch back to medium tires might have been a strategic call, but his ability to handle the car at high speeds, especially during that save, was pure talent.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, MR David said:

Fernando’s performance was indeed remarkable, showcasing his exceptional skill. The decision not to switch back to medium tires might have been a strategic call, but his ability to handle the car at high speeds, especially during that save, was pure talent.

Yeah I thought at the time it was a bad call to go to softs, but since then I've been told they did it because they didn't have any hards left for him and didn't think they'd make it to the end on mediums. So they put soft tires on to take advantage of the field being bunched up for the restart. Makes sense, but I could have sworn some of the others went with mediums to the end. I could be wrong though and haven't bothered to go back and check. That second incident happening so quickly really screwed their strategy on the softs.

What's most striking to me about that save, as mentioned above, is the reflexes it takes to do that. Especially at his age, and especially for a guy who many have said for years is too old to do this at a high level. Not only is he doing it, he's still doing it at an elite level, even among F1 drivers.

Edited by wood
  • Like 1

I thought about this, too, after seeing the lack of any apparent reasonable logic in the application of penalties in China. He's not wrong. Why risk it?

'Better not to race' in Sprints – Alonso https://racer.com/2024/04/23/better-not-to-race-in-sprints-alonso/

Fernando Alonso says the Sprint format is showing it is “better not to race” on a Saturday due to the impact on tire usage and the penalty points he received at the Chinese Grand Prix.

The stewards gave Alonso a retrospective 10-second time penalty and three penalty points for causing a collision with Carlos Sainz when fighting for a top three position in China’s Sprint, leaving him halfway to a race ban. The penalty points appeared particularly harsh despite the pair making contact, and with Alonso then forced into an unusual strategy on Sunday where he made an extra pit stop due to a lack of hard tires, he says sitting out the Sprint would have been a better option.

“I think getting more tires will be good because in FP1 it is a game of who can run less and who uses less sets of tires, so it is a shame for the fans,” Alonso said. “And then, the Sprint, if they want it for the show and for overtaking and you don’t let them race, it is better not to race.

“We didn’t have any more hard tires (on Sunday). We had one soft and one medium and 35 laps in front of us, which, in our calculations, it was not possible to make it to the end. Obviously, there were a lot of safety car laps to remove the Sauber and once the safety car came in – more safety car laps because they crashed.

“The best thing is not to do the Sprint, probably, on Saturday, to keep a set of tires for Sunday. There are few points on the table for us if you are not winning the race and you risk penalty points and things like that, so it is better maybe not to race.”

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

On 4/21/2024 at 10:39 PM, Levi said:

I wonder if Danny feeling his seat getting hot, and the pressure to get better results, has made him be a little more outward with his emotions.  

I'm sure somewhat, but I think the fact that it's Stroll and the fact that Lance is trying to blame someone else for that shit is what really set him off. Bottom 3 driver on the grid right now IMO. 

holy shit

edit: google translate of the article from reddit - relevant landing locations below say they don't know shit on that front

Experts see him at Ferrari. Newey was spotted at least once at the airport in Bologna. If that turns out to be true, then Frédéric Vasseur would have welded together a super team with Hamilton, Leclerc and Newey.

Lewis Hamilton will join Ferrari in 2025. His new team boss Frédéric Vasseur could also lure Adrian Newey to the Scuderia. Mercedes is keeping quiet

Aston Martin was also interested in Newey. This would have the advantage for the Englishman that he could continue to work in England. However, the technology guru has long since found a second home in South Africa and has already worked partly remotely at Red Bull.

Mercedes has always kept quiet on the subject of Newey. But the former series world champion could really use someone like Newey. Nobody understands these ground effect cars as well as he does. And it is precisely this understanding that seems to have been lost in the design office in Brackley.

Newey could also be the crucial piece of the puzzle to lure Max Verstappen to the Silver Arrows. Toto Wolff has been hesitant so far. There is also the fear that such an icon could bring unrest into his own team.

text:

NEWEY LEAVES RED BULL

Is Ferrari the next address?

Is the next bomb in Formula 1 going to explode today? Adrian Newey is said to be on the verge of leaving Red Bull. But what is the star designer's next address? Experts are guessing Ferrari.

This is the next bomb on the Formula 1 transfer market. After Lewis Hamilton to Ferrari, star designer Adrian Newey is now the focus. The 65-year-old Englishman is expected to announce his departure from Red Bull soon. Newey had been employed by the British racing team since 2006.

Newey is said to be unhappy about the power struggle in the team and does not want to be completely relegated to the RB17 hypercar project. The heart of the thoroughbred engineer is still in Formula 1. Even though Newey no longer designs every screw of the car on his beloved drawing board, he is the brilliant mind behind the concept of the seven world champion cars of the British racing team.

Star designer Adrian Newey wants to leave Red Bull. Team boss Christian Horner wanted to send the Englishman to the RB17 hypercar project. Is Newey already free in 2025?

It is still unclear when Newey will be able to leave Red Bull. Officially, his contract runs until the end of 2025. That is when the Red Bull RB17 will also be on wheels. Initial sales talks with potential customers of the super sports car have already been held. However, according to rumors, Newey wants to be free for new tasks by the end of 2024.

The mastermind is as sought after on the market as the best drivers in the scene. His salary is also in a similar price range. He is said to earn an annual salary of ten million pounds.

The rumors about Newey's departure are not new. That is why competitors have already tried to get the man who designed world championship-winning cars for Williams, McLaren and Red Bull. Experts see him at Ferrari. Newey was spotted at least once at the airport in Bologna. If that turns out to be true, then Frédéric Vasseur would have welded together a super team with Hamilton, Leclerc and Newey.

Lewis Hamilton will join Ferrari in 2025. His new team boss Frédéric Vasseur could also lure Adrian Newey to the Scuderia. Mercedes is keeping quiet

Aston Martin was also interested in Newey. This would have the advantage for the Englishman that he could continue to work in England. However, the technology guru has long since found a second home in South Africa and has already worked partly remotely at Red Bull.

Mercedes has always kept quiet on the subject of Newey. But the former series world champion could really use someone like Newey. Nobody understands these ground effect cars as well as he does. And it is precisely this understanding that seems to have been lost in the design office in Brackley.

Newey could also be the crucial piece of the puzzle to lure Max Verstappen to the Silver Arrows. Toto Wolff has been hesitant so far. There is also the fear that such an icon could bring unrest into his own team.

Either way, Newey shares would not start paying dividends until the 2026 season at the earliest. But that is precisely the crucial year. The new engine regulations also require completely new cars. And Newey has often proven that his competence and expertise always paid off in the years when everyone had to start from scratch.

Edited by NoName

It will never cease to amaze me how stupid people can be after they get success. Here is the one guy who needs nobody else. Is a master at what he does and Red Bull's idiocy & pettiness could drive him away.

If he goes to Ferrari I'd reckon that will be as formidable as when Schumacher, Byrne, Brawn and Todt teamed up. Of course Ferrari was much worse then compared to now.

Edited by PittsburghTiger
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NoName said:

look at the blue ferrari kits in normal light (also from reddit)

0w5b0kosxmwc1.jpeg

Ugh, terrible.  Looks like some kind of sanitation department uniform or something.

image.thumb.png.513265f1af5c9c767b1fbb588ac5b31d.png

Edited by utee94

52 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Ugh, terrible.  Looks like some kind of sanitation department uniform or something.

image.thumb.png.513265f1af5c9c767b1fbb588ac5b31d.png

Yeah, I had seen this picture of Charles earlier, and I was really hoping Ferrari would go for the darker blue. Looks way better, IMO. 
IMG_4986.thumb.jpeg.a310a2256a0055f3a727f2790617a4c7.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

According to Roberto Chinchero, Stroll is offering Newey 100m euro over 4 seasons at Aston Martin https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-newey-lascia-red-bull/10603193/

If he's actually leaving the team and I had to bet on what he's going to do, I'd put my money on retirement, but 100m Euro is a big whip..

Edited by wood

17 minutes ago, wood said:

According to Roberto Chinchero, Stroll is offering Newey 100m euro over 4 seasons at Aston Martin https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-newey-lascia-red-bull/10603193/

If he's actually leaving the team and I had to bet on what he's going to do, I'd put my money on retirement, but 100m Euro is a big whip..

i think they said hes making about 17m now? so it's a nice bump

either way, it's something RBR should match in a heartbeat

3 minutes ago, deft said:

Jos V fucked this up big time.

if RBR implodes - at the end of this THAT should be the question. Jos and Max backing the 80 year old who has basically zero impact on the day to day of running RBR overall, has no impact on the technical side, has no impact on the organizational side and wasn't the guy who built the org in the first place instead of the 50 year old is and forever should be seen as a monumental fumbling of the bag.

the success that RBR has had as an org over the last few years is significantly more tilted towards the technical/org side than the Marko side and it isn't even close

fuck Jos and honestly fuck Max for letting it get here. dude has more juice within his team over the last 3 years than any other single driver, including Lewis. the lack of stability is what has a lot to do with Newey potentially leaving, and that lack of stability is directly related to the Marko/Horner power struggle

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wood said:

Not even he could overcome The Power of Lance

Lance Stroll wears Pastor Maldonado underoos.

1 hour ago, wood said:

Yep. That's what I'm thinking. Just because he might be leaving the team doesn't mean he's going to another team. But who knows?

don't you dare shatter my dream!

• Haha 1