Formula 1 2024

Anton Chigurh

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, pops said:

K mag. He's been channeling his best stroll impersonation all weekend. 

Or just as bad, his best KMag impression. He's a menace. Always has been. It is known.

19 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Any opportunity a cameraman has to creepily zoom in on LeClerc's smoking hot girlfriend, we have to take it.

Ah, ok. So it wasn't just me then. And how about the incredible blonde on the top level of the pit building at the end of the pre-race show. OMFG.

19 hours ago, Hawndoh said:

I don't know, seems Sainz rear end slid out and he had to catch it which put his tire across Piastri's wing 

Yes. That.

19 hours ago, Hawndoh said:

Max has had grip problems all race. He complained of understeer like 5 laps in and just has never looked like the usual Red Bull

All weekend. Some people thought he was bluffing when he said the car's balance was shit, but I really don't think that's how he rolls. It really was shit.

18 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Wonder how it would have looked without the safety car. Norris probably would have had too many cars been he and Max, but maybe he could have run him down.

Maybe, but I kinda doubt it. That SC could not have come at a better time for Lando, and that car went great on the Hard tire. He was about to pit anyway, and without the SC iirc he would have probably come out somewhere around P6 or 7. Fantastic race by him. He deserved a win. (And not just because he used to follow me on twitter before he handed it off to a s/m assistant.)

Edited by wood
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

And oh yeah ... Magnussen gets 2 points for wiping Logan out.

So .... add this to the long list of big incidents that Alonso's China bump is somehow worse than.

Wow. 

Also, re: Stroll, he sucks, but he was unlucky with the SC timing, and I'm not sure they gave the penalty to the right guy there at the end (not that it would have put him in the points). He was fully alongside Albon and Albon ran him off the track.

Edited by wood

Verstappen picked up damage when he hit the bollard at T14 and some sources estimate the damage to be around 0.25s/lap. Even without the damage the Redbulls struggled for balance and grip in the race. Even without the damage Piastri was able to keep the gap to Verstappen constant at 2.5-3 seconds in the first stint

In the final stint there was not a single lap when Verstappen was quicker than Norris. The two drivers were more or less even through sector 2 and 3 but Verstappen consistently lost 0.2-0.3s through the first sector

RB continued their impressive showing in Miami, this time with Tsunoda pulling away from the Mercedes by 9 seconds in the final stint. In terms of overall pace this is the closest the field has been this year.

6poqa3patsyc1.jpg?width=1440&format=pjpg

+

iuu0uluatsyc1.jpg?width=1440&format=pjpg

https://old.reddit.com/r/formula1/comments/1clhmab/2024_miami_gp_racepace_by_team/

21 minutes ago, NoName said:

I thought it was interesting that every car that finished was on the lead lap. I’m guessing of course the Safety Car had something to do with that but, I think for most of the race the field was all on the lead lap.

• Hook 'Em 1

Can someone who knows F1 better explain why Sainz got a penalty for going a little deep in one corner but Perez didn't get one for totally barreling through the first corner which cost Sainz two places and could've taken out multiple drivers? And then of course Perez is the one guy who benefits from the penalty lol

Also nothing for Piastri after squeezing Sainz off the road on the prior lap? 

Seems wildly inconsistent to me. Also looked like Piastri still had plenty of room outside of Sainz when they crashed but he turned into his back tire.

Can someone who knows F1 better explain why Sainz got a penalty for going a little deep in one corner but Perez didn't get one for totally barreling through the first corner which cost Sainz two places and could've taken out multiple drivers? And then of course Perez is the one guy who benefits from the penalty lol
Also nothing for Piastri after squeezing Sainz off the road on the prior lap? 
Seems wildly inconsistent to me. Also looked like Piastri still had plenty of room outside of Sainz when they crashed but he turned into his back tire.

Turn 1 incident.
  • Rage+1 1

33 minutes ago, VABuckeye said:

Which is bullshit.  The sporting regulations should apply to Turn 1 

And because he didn't hit anyone, which is also bullshit because they say they give out penalties based on the infraction & not based on the outcome.

• Hook 'Em 3

15 hours ago, Goofyboy said:

I agree - I’m just the messenger. Perez cost Sainz 2nd.

Yeah so basically Sainz braked to avoid a collision on Perez, costing himself two spots and saving Perez from penalty, and then Perez is the one who benefits from the Sainz penalty which was a way less egregious version of the same thing. Seems extremely dumb

• Rage+1 1

On 5/6/2024 at 7:53 AM, PittsburghTiger said:

Humble Brag 👆

My post-race activity was cutting the grass.

I like @ChiTownDoc, I'm a big fan of his work around here, and he's a heck of a guy, for being a golderned sooner.  But I don't think his brags ever really qualify as "humble."

Also, aren't you married, ChiTown?  To a hot Slovakian as I recall?  You better be careful, there...

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I like @ChiTownDoc, I'm a big fan of his work around here, and he's a heck of a guy, for being a golderned sooner.  But I don't think his brags ever really qualify as "humble."

Also, aren't you married, ChiTown?  To a hot Slovakian as I recall?  You better be careful, there...

Oh she knows me well and comes to what she can.  She’s not a Latina which we both joke about.  
And this recovery is brutal.  Worth it.  

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Oh she knows me well and comes to what she can.  She’s not a Latina which we both joke about.  
And this recovery is brutal.  Worth it.  

Stroll uses his teeth too much, or what?

• Haha 3

On 5/5/2024 at 10:11 PM, ChiTownDoc said:

Some drivers supposedly joining.  Wish me luck. 
edit: not trying to fuck a driver, assholes

Facetune_05-05-2024-17-11-40.jpeg

IMG_5611.png

On 5/6/2024 at 8:53 AM, PittsburghTiger said:

Humble Brag 👆

My post-race activity was cutting the grass.

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

I guess it was about five, or six, years ago. The same weekend of Monaco. For over a decade I have been going to the beach in St. Tropez with my German cousin and her family and on our beach are the two fancy-pants clubs, Moorea and Club 55, and someone said the night of the race that some of the drivers were going to be over at Moorea and did I want to go. I passed. My reply was that once they step out of the cars I don’t really care much about them.

20 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

I guess it was about five, or six, years ago. The same weekend of Monaco. For over a decade I have been going to the beach in St. Tropez with my German cousin and her family and on our beach are the two fancy-pants clubs, Moorea and Club 55, and someone said the night of the race that some of the drivers were going to be over at Moorea and did I want to go. I passed. My reply was that once they step out of the cars I don’t really care much about them.

I don't think anyone goes to the larger private parties around formula 1 for the drivers or really cares about them - at least nobody with a dick.  Most are fairly well off and there for the eye candy and some actually pretty incredible networking.  For example this weekend's random pay off... did friends and family investment for a group of restaurants in Chicago that was just bought out of bankruptcy and randomly met the new owners.  He was happy to give whatever few shares I had back for only helping him put on an event in Chicago for ex friends and family - as it was bought out by a group with no Chicago ties.  The odds I would ever waste time reaching out to that guy for a handout are zero but randomly meeting him and getting a freebie is great in my book.  And this was a nothing burger - have met much bigger fish that paid off in much bigger ways. 

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I don't think anyone goes to the larger private parties around formula 1 for the drivers or really cares about them - at least nobody with a dick.  Most are fairly well off and there for the eye candy and some actually pretty incredible networking.  For example this weekend's random pay off... did friends and family investment for a group of restaurants in Chicago that was just bought out of bankruptcy and randomly met the new owners.  He was happy to give whatever few shares I had back for only helping him put on an event in Chicago for ex friends and family - as it was bought out by a group with no Chicago ties.  The odds I would ever waste time reaching out to that guy for a handout are zero but randomly meeting him and getting a freebie is great in my book.  And this was a nothing burger - have met much bigger fish that paid off in much bigger ways. 

Oh, I wasn't saying you'd be at the club with your autograph notebook. I was just jaggin' around.

😏

Edited by PittsburghTiger
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Oh, I wasn't saying you'd be at the club with your autograph notebook. I was just jaggin' around.

😏

I think I'll need every damn day I have to recover by F1 Vegas, ha.  But I'll check out Mexico City, heard it's pretty wild too. 

Jim Jordan demanding info re: Liberty's rejection of Andretti? Shit's suddenly gettin' real forLiberty, who's already in a bit of a bind with Congress over Live Nation.
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/house-republican-jim-jordan-f1-investigation-andretti-us-rcna151103
Couldn't happen to a nicer guy. And when I say nicer guy, I mean bigger asshole. Greg Maffei sucks.

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
1 hour ago, wood said:
Jim Jordan demanding info re: Liberty's rejection of Andretti? Shit's suddenly gettin' real forLiberty, who's already in a bit of a bind with Congress over Live Nation.
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/house-republican-jim-jordan-f1-investigation-andretti-us-rcna151103

Couldn't happen to a nicer guy. And when I say nicer guy, I mean bigger asshole. Greg Maffei sucks.

Yeah, seems like Maffei & Malone got some 'splainin to do.

d1f76e_9b3bf6ec51564078a06f571145a1fd4d~

Edited by wood

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, morehornsepower said:

Right?  It's like they've *almost* figured out how to enforce track limits...

Yep, and not only track limits violations. If they have gravel and/or grass in the right places, a whole lot of things that now need policing would be handled automatically by the track design. With a gravel trap on the inside of that turn in Miami, KMag wouldn't have even tried the move on Sargent that ended his race.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 4

18 minutes ago, wood said:

Yep, and not only track limits violations. If they have gravel and/or grass in the right places, a whole lot of things that now need policing would be handled automatically by the track design. With a gravel trap on the inside of that turn in Miami, KMag wouldn't have even tried the move on Sargent that ended his race.

Yeah, since F1 has this shitty rule where you're allowed to drive the other guy completely off the track if you were slightly ahead at the apex (even if you braked crazy late and never had a chance at actually making the apex), the best way to handle this is gravel right on the edge of the track so drivers work it out on track instead of relying on stewards making shitty, inconsistent decisions race to race. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Are the old cars still faster at Monaco?  Their size must make them corner a whole lot better there.

I was going to say no. And then I just went and did a little looking around and just typed in 1982 Monaco

Pole position was René Arnoux, 1:23.281 and fastest lap was 1:26.354 by Ricardo Patrese. The course was 3.312 Km, 2.057 miles

Last year, Max was on pole, 1:11.365 and Lewis had fastest lap at 1:15.650. The course was 3.337 Km, 2.074 miles.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, kevwun said:

I guess they get to all those turns faster and have better suspension to handle them despite being so much bigger than the old cars.

And a lot more downforce. The older cars are much more agile in the slower corners, but not enough to make up for the speed the newer cars can carry through the faster turns, how much better they can brake, etc..

16 hours ago, kevwun said:

I guess they get to all those turns faster and have better suspension to handle them despite being so much bigger than the old cars.

13 hours ago, wood said:

And a lot more downforce. The older cars are much more agile in the slower corners, but not enough to make up for the speed the newer cars can carry through the faster turns, how much better they can brake, etc..

The aerodynamic aspect of racing is the crazy part of how the sport has evolved. It’s amazing what they can do with the wind tunnels and computer simulations.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, wood said:

GM issue battle cry in Andretti F1 bid after 'outpouring' of support
F1 has stirred a hornet's nest inside GM as it 'will not let Andretti fail' with its bid to get on the grid. How long will the fight continue?

https://racingnews365.com/gm-issue-battle-cry-in-andretti-f1-bid-after-outpouring-of-support

It just smacks of extreme greed, and lack of self awareness, for them to be fighting so hard to keep someone out of “the club”. So shortsighted.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/8/2024 at 12:01 PM, Burt Macklin said:

Yeah, since F1 has this shitty rule where you're allowed to drive the other guy completely off the track if you were slightly ahead at the apex (even if you braked crazy late and never had a chance at actually making the apex), the best way to handle this is gravel right on the edge of the track so drivers work it out on track instead of relying on stewards making shitty, inconsistent decisions race to race. 

Yep. It's terrible and wasn't even really a thing when I started watching F1, or at least you didn't see it much. It drives me fucking crazy. Some drivers railed against it for years. Alonso, mostly. But people wouldn't stop doing it and there were rarely penalties or even investigations for it, and as we got more paved runoffs it became more and more prevalent. 

• Rage+1 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

It just smacks of extreme greed, and lack of self awareness, for them to be fighting so hard to keep someone out of “the club”. So shortsighted.

It's ALL about the money they think they'll lose by letting Andretti in. 100%. Every single excuse of the many you've heard from them or FOM is pure, fabricated, easily debunked, laughable nonsense that reads like something a 1st grader came up with. 

Remember when the college football bowl games fought tooth and nail against any kind of playoff system because they wanted to be in control of the money that was made, even though they stood to make a lot more money by participating in a playoff? This reminds me a lot of that.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

The aerodynamic aspect of racing is the crazy part of how the sport has evolved. It’s amazing what they can do with the wind tunnels and computer simulations.

... and NeweyVision.

13bboe64lcma1.png

Edited by wood
  • Haha 5

On 5/8/2024 at 9:30 AM, Dutch said:

A more gravel traps added around Imola. 

IMG_4955.jpeg

Think I'll finally visit this summer and check out the track.  I've driven past it but never gone down to tour it.

• Hook 'Em 1