Week 14, 2023, Texas v Washington, College Football Playoff Edition

Wulaw Horn

41 minutes ago, WilburHooksHand said:

Yeah I’m not saying Texas is bad here I’m just saying it’s not like Washington hasn’t been able to run effectively on another good run defense. I’m not coming out of left field here, I am from Houston and I live in Austin. I’ve seen both of these teams play all year and I don’t think many other people can say that. Washington is just way better than people think and lot of assumptions about them are just flat out wrong, I’ll leave it at that. 

Washington is really good? No way!? To a man (and the few women here), 98% believe Texas is in a dog fight (no pun intended) on Jan 1. But you wouldn’t think that reading Dawg fan posts. 

I’ll be honest, Washington fans coming on our board so far are not very impressive.  Arguing with phantom Texas fans that don’t respect Penix or Washington (those fans don’t really exist here and those that may are often ignored), assuming Sark 10 years ago is the same Sark today despite mountains of evidence to the contrary, complete dismissal of Texas proven strengths and just a complete inability to think critically, not to mention shockingly full of -isms and phobias, you know the kind against us “homos, fags and queers” 

I honesty expected more from their fan base and has made me fully rethink my prior affinity for Texas joining the Pac-10 back in the day and telling my son to consider UDub for an out of state school. 

seriously, their supposedly best message board is full of Neanderthals that think “steers and queers” is funny. It’s one step above “stupid sips”.

shocking. Truly.  

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, WilburHooksHand said:

Also if they call holding trice is gonna get held every play too. I know that dude posted a PFF ranking to show sweat on there but it’s funny there is a Washington guy right above him.

you might want to look at that PFF post again if you think it is a ranking.

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, troph said:

it's not funny, its expected. the kid is good. He's on the right edge lined up against the LT correct? it will be an intriguing matchup:

second highest passing blocking grade in the country last week:

throws a guy into a LB:

bulldozer:

The game may simply come down to which defense can make the QB uncomfortable

Washington is great in pass pro.. They have allowed a sack every 44 attempts. They will face a Texas defense that gets a sack every 14.5 attempts.. Something has to give there.. strength on strenght

TExas gives  up a sack every 16.6 attempts.. Not great.. Washington is pretty bad at getting sacks.. they get a sack every 26.9 attempts.. Weakness on Weakness

• Hook 'Em 7

3 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Washington is great in pass pro.. They have allowed a sack every 44 attempts. They will face a Texas defense that gets a sack every 14.5 attempts.. Something has to give there.. strength on strenght

TExas gives  up a sack every 16.6 attempts.. Not great.. Washington is pretty bad at getting sacks.. they get a sack every 26.9 attempts.. Weakness on Weakness

I've articulated it as (1) Texas D getting to third and long to have those chances for a big play vs. Penix having to make plays over and over and over again (will he make enough?), and (2) Texas executing on offense - effectively at all times - without disappearing or making stupid mistakes. I think that's the game right there. 

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

We have some edge kid that has been ruled ineligible all year coming eligible for the playoff. He’s never played a snap so im not going to crown him but he’s the all-practice “wait till this guy is allowed to play” champ so it should at least be interesting I guess.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, troph said:

it's not funny, its expected. the kid is good. He's on the right edge lined up against the LT correct? it will be an intriguing matchup:

second highest passing blocking grade in the country last week:

throws a guy into a LB:

bulldozer:

I had not seen that play against the linebacker, that is fantastic. 

• Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, WilburHooksHand said:

We have some edge kid that has been ruled ineligible all year coming eligible for the playoff. He’s never played a snap so im not going to crown him but he’s the all-practice “wait till this guy is allowed to play” champ so it should at least be interesting I guess.

WE shall see. Trice vs Banks will be an important match-up. Even with Trice's play, Washington is dead last in sacks in the Pac 10. That number is actually worse than it appears. Washington is the only defense to see over 500 passing attempts. They have seen 97 more passing attempts than the average Pac 10 defense and still comfortable in last place in sacks. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, WilburHooksHand said:

Give me some fucking credit here 

why? you don't even know the name of the edge rusher that's "all world" that sat out all season. your arguments are "Washington is good" and after information is provided "yeah, but Washington is better."

you really aren't adding much here. credit around here is earned, the hard way. right now you deserve the square root of jack shit and +2 rep shows it. I know you think we are a patsy bunch that can't take shit talking. no we don't suffer idiots, not even our own. bring value or don't it's up to you but don't come demanding shit from us. earn it.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

1 hour ago, WilburHooksHand said:

Yeah I’m not saying Texas is bad here I’m just saying it’s not like Washington hasn’t been able to run effectively on another good run defense. I’m not coming out of left field here, I am from Houston and I live in Austin. I’ve seen both of these teams play all year and I don’t think many other people can say that. Washington is just way better than people think and lot of assumptions about them are just flat out wrong, I’ll leave it at that. 

Lol UW ran for 125 on 3.8 ypc against Utah. At home. 

First game against UO they ran for 99 on 4.3 ypc.

Second game against UO they ran for 157 on 4.2 ypc.

Those are totally middling numbers in the 3 games they played against a D worth a shit. And then there was the 13 yards on 13 carries against a shitty ASU team. 

UW isn't beating Texas on the ground. They're going to have to air it out from the jump. It may or may not work, but they're gonna need something to work because Texas with a month of prep is going to put points on the board. 

4 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

WE shall see. Trice vs Banks will be an important match-up. Even with Trice's play, Washington is dead last in sacks in the Pac 10. That number is actually worse than it appears. Washington is the only defense to see over 500 passing attempts. They have seen 97 more passing attempts than the average Pac 10 defense and still comfortable in last place in sacks. 

Nobody is expecting the defense to win us the game lol. We know who we are, score as much as you can and then somehow the defense has been extremely good in the 4th quarter. We’ve had games where we literally didn’t stop anybody until the 4th quarter but it’s enough. The team can handle being scored on though, Oregon dropped 21 straight on them to go up and they still dominated the 4th. One of the X factors is Washington has faced every pressure and game scenario possible this year and hasn’t blinked. They are legit the most ice cold team I’ve seen in a while. 

4 minutes ago, troph said:

why? you don't even know the name of the edge rusher that's "all world" that sat out all season. your arguments are "Washington is good" and after information is provided "yeah, but Washington is better."

you really aren't adding much here. credit around here is earned, the hard way. right now you deserve the square root of jack shit and +2 rep shows it. I know you think we are a patsy bunch that can't take shit talking. no we don't suffer idiots, not even our own. bring value or don't it's up to you but don't come demanding shit from us. earn it.

His name is Zach Durfee who gives a fuck he hasn’t played a snap

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1
  • Drool 1

4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Those are totally middling numbers in the 3 games they played against a D worth a shit. And then there was the 13 yards on 13 carries against a shitty ASU team. 

UW isn't beating Texas on the ground. They're going to have to air it out from the jump. It may or may not work, but they're gonna need something to work because Texas with a month of prep is going to put points on the board. 

It’s sad that Texas gets a month to prep but Washington doesn’t. That rule needs to be evaluated imo.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 2
  • Drool 1
  • Prepare your anus 1

3 minutes ago, WilburHooksHand said:

It’s sad that Texas gets a month to prep but Washington doesn’t. That rule needs to be evaluated imo.

In my opinion, I hope Penix wins every offseason award he possibly can. That means he will have spent 3 weeks on the banquet circuit and they will have to roll his ass off the bus. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

35 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Yeah, I'm not seeing Penix getting sacked in this game, unless it's one of those where he is chased out of bounds just before the Los or something.

Washington gets the ball out fast and picks their spots for the longer developing stuff. A lot like ousux in this regard without the running qb or the super hurry up or the sister fucking meth suckage 

13 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I think on offense we will see a game plan similar to what they rolled out v nike in conf champ game. Washington kind of rope a doped UO with top.

Washington was fortunate to win the first game because UO really dominated that game statistically in every way except they got greedy on some 4th downs with chip shot fgs in hand.  I think the rope a dope was the plan in the 2nd game to limit that dominance.

Good coaching imo and also UW does seem to tighten on d when they need it and score when they need it late in games.  Seems like they have some "break glass in case of emergency" calls available.

15 minutes ago, Jiggy-Z said:

Yeah, I'm not seeing Penix getting sacked in this game, unless it's one of those where he is chased out of bounds just before the Los or something.

Washington gets the ball out fast and picks their spots for the longer developing stuff. A lot like ousux in this regard without the running qb or the super hurry up or the sister fucking meth suckage 

texas had 1 sack, 1 tackle of DG on a scramble for zero yards and another tackle or a loss on what was a run play for DG. He scrambled A LOT which indicated pressure. Texas sacked Milroe 5 times. Both of those guys are more elusive than Penix (though not as adept at getting the ball out as Penix). I think Texas can get pressure. Will it result in sacks? I don't know. But to say Texas isn't getting any sacks isn't a foregone conclusion.

• Hook 'Em 2

36 minutes ago, WilburHooksHand said:

It would be a bad sign if it took Washington a month to figure out that it should throw the ball rather than try and run on us. 

• Haha 4

8 minutes ago, SKA the boss said:

Right now Sark’s offensive analysts are breaking down every snap of UW’s ‘23 season. By Jan. 1, Sark is going to know what Chuckles Morrell is going to call before he does.
(See Kerry Coombs and Bryan Nardo)

Eh, they mainly only look at plays called against offenses similar to themselves. It wouldn’t help much to seee what UW’s defense did against a triple option team or something 

40 minutes ago, Jiggy-Z said:

This.  They are basically a west coast power spread with a deep playbook.  A lot of single read and go type stuff, some set plays, and play action shots.  They are dangerous because they have overall the best skill position talent.  It's not Air Raid or Pro-spread.

Their OL isn't actually good at pass pro.  They are built as a gap unit and their guys are nimble blockers moreso than anchors or maulers.  The set screen game is actually one of their deadlier weapons because those guys are good in the open field.  To compensate they move the pocket a lot - especially when they want to take a shot.

Bralen Trice is a stand-up DE with length and good hands and is good in stunts.  I don't think you two will get the physical battle that you want, that's just not how Washington plays.  They actually get good pressure, they just can't finish very many.

Edited by JBJ
  • Hook 'Em 4

16 minutes ago, SKA the boss said:

Right now Sark’s offensive analysts are breaking down every snap of UW’s ‘23 season. By Jan. 1, Sark is going to know what Chuckles Morrell is going to call before he does.
(See Kerry Coombs and Bryan Nardo)

uw is not getting enough credit going 13-0 with the kids coaching themselves 

• Fuck You 2
  • Drool 1

47 minutes ago, WilburHooksHand said:

Nobody is expecting the defense to win us the game lol. We know who we are, score as much as you can and then somehow the defense has been extremely good in the 4th quarter. We’ve had games where we literally didn’t stop anybody until the 4th quarter but it’s enough. The team can handle being scored on though, Oregon dropped 21 straight on them to go up and they still dominated the 4th. One of the X factors is Washington has faced every pressure and game scenario possible this year and hasn’t blinked. They are legit the most ice cold team I’ve seen in a while. 

His name is Zach Durfee who gives a fuck he hasn’t played a snap

I am curious as to what happened to the Washignton pass rush.. 

Last year they had 37 sacks.. 1 sack per 11.3 attempts

this year 19 sacks.. 1 sack every 27.4 attempts

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, JBJ said:

This.  They are basically a west coast power spread with a deep playbook.  A lot of single read and go type stuff, some set plays, and play action shots.  They are dangerous because they have overall the best skill position talent.  It's not Air Raid or Pro-spread.

Their OL isn't actually good at pass pro.  They are built as a gap unit and their guys are nimble blockers moreso than anchors or maulers.  The set screen game is actually one of their deadlier weapons because those guys are good in the open field.  To compensate they move the pocket a lot - especially when they want to take a shot.

Bralen Trice is a stand-up DE with length and good hands and is good in stunts.  I don't think you two will get the physical battle that you want, that's just not how Washington plays.  They actually get good pressure, they just can't finish very many.

Not sure you have it, but wondering if someone has their pressure rate? 

I see them 128th of 133 schools in Sack percentage (big drop from 30th)

Texas is actually 61st (up from 101 last year)

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/sack-pct?date=2023-12-09

6 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Every Washington fan that has popped on has proven one thing. Washington is the aggy of the pac-12(rip shit conference)

This guy has actually been much better than the last two assholes. Not sure why we're giving him so much grief for thinking UW is going to win. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, WilburHooksHand said:

the projection natty is yours at least 

49 minutes ago, troph said:

you deserve two fuck you's - one for saying nonsensical shit and two for using the word natty.

Can y'all just kiss already and save the rest of this thread for meaningful discussion?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, WilburHooksHand said:

this place is a fucking kindergarten compared to hardcore husky. No one has told me to take my own life yet and we are 3 pages in so seems pretty soft in comparison 

You get put in timeout here if you tell someone to eat a bullet.  I know this from experience.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

11 minutes ago, WilburHooksHand said:

this place is a fucking kindergarten compared to hardcore husky. No one has told me to take my own life yet and we are 3 pages in so seems pretty soft in comparison 

well, we are decent humans if still assholes. we've had folks commit suicide in our online community over the years and have zero tolerance for encouraging that. We also have zero tolerance (generally) for slurs. Many of us actually know each other IRL as well. it's called being decent. This isn't some message board alone, we are a real community of folks. tomfoolery and shenanigans are fun, but telling people to kill themselves is a bit much. so you do you and hardcore husky all the way we don't care, we don't want to finish first in a race to be that kind of asshole.

I think many hear of us and think, oh great a board I can cuss on and talk shit. Actually, our asshole reputation is earned by not suffering fools and people who are supreme dicks. you want to trade barbs fine, but we've got probably a hundred posters on here that can do deep dives on match ups and we relish the opportunity to see them and opposing team fans that know their teams banter back and forth with thoughtful analysis with mutual respect and quick witted humor. And that is actually the exact opposite of most trash message boards out there.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 4

7 minutes ago, WilburHooksHand said:

We're older, mellower, and dumber but wiser than we used to be.   Also a fair chunk of us have been arrested or fed to worms.  Try Reddit or some board we don't know how to access.   

• Hook 'Em 2

22 minutes ago, JBJ said:

Our D against the screen game has been surprisingly solid under PK. Used to be missed tackles and whifs, drove me crazy. If that’s UW’s best weapon we should be okay.

2 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

How long will Deboer be there?  Washington is a nice program, but it's clearly a stepping stone.

depends on how serious we are about football. allegedly the extension and raise have been signed but I’ll believe it when I see an announcement. Michigan is the only school I would worry about

• Pancho locked this topic
  • Pancho unlocked this topic