CFP Semifinal: Texas vs Washington - 7:45pm on ESPN

Pancho

2 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

As cool as Ewers often seems to be, he seems to crumble quite a bit under pressure, both from defenses and from the situation.

I mean what QB is great under extreme pressure? I think he made great decisions tonight all in all, but yes he was off a bit. However, QE did not lose us this game. I'm excited for him in 2024. I'm excited for Arch after that for sure

• Hook 'Em 2

The secondary had a few breakdowns but I don’t think they played nearly as bad as most people on here think. A lot of times we were stride for stride with their receivers and even got hands on balls but unfortunately Penix I was extremely accurate and their receivers made some incredible plays. Most teams wouldn’t be able to defend what we saw tonight. I think more blame falls on the pass rush than anyone. Did we even knock Penix down? Extremely demoralizing watching Penix given all the time in the world to pick apart the secondary.

Hope Quinn can get his head on straight. Have a feeling he and Sark are going to be regretting those final 4 plays for a long time.

4 minutes ago, vandergriff said:

Ewers improved this year.  BUT the best thing that could happen would be starting AM next season.  Take your lumps.  And be ready to contend again in 2025.  I don't know if Arch IS THE guy.  I DO know that Ewers is not.  And I'll bet Sark knows it too 

Why wouldn't you want to contend next year? 

We're going to be a preseason top 8 team if Ewers returns. Fuck this "take your lumps." Go add a couple more portal players and try to win a national title. We were 1 play away from playing for a title this year with Ewers. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Drool 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

1 minute ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

The secondary had a few breakdowns but I don’t think they played nearly as bad as most people on here think. A lot of times we were stride for stride with their receivers and even got hands on balls but unfortunately Penix I was extremely accurate and their receivers made some incredible plays. Most teams wouldn’t be able to defend what we saw tonight. I think more blame falls on the pass rush than anyone. Did we even knock Penix down? Extremely demoralizing watching Penix given all the time in the world to pick apart the secondary.

Hope Quinn can get his head on straight. Have a feeling he and Sark are going to be regretting those final 4 plays for a long time.

DBs weren't bad, just didn't make championship plays like UW did. 

UW play calling was really good, too. Our Safeties were in conflict all night. We needed Thorpe level safeties tonight. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, dcar00 said:

I would have liked to see the first half with Derek Williams and Sark not going braindead with the running game.  we averaged 6.4 a carry with our longest being Ewers 21 yarder.

I think the stage was a bit too much for all of them tbqh. Even sark off the bus looked wide eyed. Ewers definitely did. Fact is this is a young team and even the HC has more to learn.

• Hook 'Em 2

Penix looked like Burrow out there today.  Mich has a much better D than Texas so not likely to repeat that performance but he was awesome. 

They’re tough to stop indoors on a fast turf.

They’ll be tough to stop at NRG stadium too. Way different than the Pacific Northwest

1 minute ago, chainsaw said:

I would trust Ewers over Arch due to his experience. That's only rational. He gives you the best chance to win now, but the long term cost to Arch's development is not worth it to me.

I would look at the Tua and Trevor Lawrence situations, and say that sometimes the best chance to win now, is playing the QB you know to be better, even if it's a less experienced one. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

The secondary had a few breakdowns but I don’t think they played nearly as bad as most people on here think.

The corners weren't terrible. Brooks, Muhammad, and Watts were beat mutliple teams when they had good coverage. Penix and those WRs are just legit. 

The safeties on the other hand. They were terrible but that's been the case the entire season. 

There were some mistakes by the corners but I think they played well enough for us to win this game with average safety play. The issue is we have well-below average safety play. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Billy Pilgrim said:

The officiating was puzzling as hell. Block below the waist on defense??? How the fuck do they wave off the flag for block in the back when that was about as egregious of a block in the back against Watts that I’ve ever seen.

I thought it was a personal foul to be quite honest. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Billy Pilgrim said:

The officiating was puzzling as hell. Block below the waist on defense??? How the fuck do they wave off the flag for block in the back when that was about as egregious of a block in the back against Watts that I’ve ever seen.

How about the ref ruling Blue down on the fumble?

I agree - Our CB's were sticky - Penix was just elite. Guys did need to get their heads turned around, though. Penix was the best QB we played all year, and probably the best in the nation. The pass rush was problematic - I didn't see him stressed that often. We did better last year vs. UW in generating pressure. 

1 minute ago, Rickylovesweed said:

The corners weren't terrible. Brooks, Muhammad, and Watts were beat mutliple teams when they had good coverage. Penix and those WRs are just legit. 

The safeties on the other hand. They were terrible but that's been the case the entire season. 

There were some mistakes by the corners but I think they played well enough for us to win this game with average safety play. The issue is we have well-below average safety play. 

Muhammad’s play on the TD was about as good of coverage as you could ask for, he even tipped the ball.

6 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

How about the ref ruling Blue down on the fumble?

Which was overturned, so why are you comparing it to a blatant penalty they simply waved off?

Edited by OU Sucks
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

1 minute ago, RAMBONE said:

I agree - Our CB's were sticky - Penix was just elite. Guys did need to get their heads turned around, though. Penix was the best QB we played all year, and probably the best in the nation. The pass rush was problematic - I didn't see him stressed that often. We did better last year vs. UW in generating pressure. 

penix was dropping dimes, hitting guys in stride, on repeat 

0 sacks = he had all the time he needed 

He evaded pressure well, we had some pressure. “This” close to 3-4 sacks. The guy had amazing pocket presence, stepped up, stepped to the side and made his throws or had the scramble.  No we didn’t get to him but it wasn’t no pressure it was his ability to avoid it. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, ATXhorn17 said:

Damn, I know this is Surly — but how is anyone mad/upset?

I went to school in the Charlie years... The Longhorns fought and came within 1 second and 12 yards of playing for the Title. 1 less fuck up/fumble/lucky bounce, and we may have won… They won 12 games and a Big 12 championship on their way out. They are all Longhorn Legends in my book (especially J Whitt), and have made me proud to call myself a Texas alum. Hook ‘em!

Loser mentality. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 6

They changed the call. What’s your point? We got the shit end of the officiating and if you think otherwise you’re a fucking dipshit

Yes, I have 30K posts on thia forum, so I am very aware that Texas always gets the shit end of the officiating, every game in every single sport.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 4

2 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Yes, I have 30K posts on thia forum, so I am very aware that Texas always gets the shit end of the officiating, every game in every single sport.

Dude. Your post was dumb. that call was overturned in favor of WA. I can’t think one one questionable call or no-call against WA. We’ve got several. 

no one worth a damn is saying WA won because of officiating, everyone is giving WA their due.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Beau Vine said:

Oh ok- some loser has a bunch of time on his hands so posts a bunch of bullshit and now is the expert on whether a team got shafted by the officials? Good for you. Here’s your trophy for 30K+ posts…. What an embarrassing thing to be proud of.

Oh ok- some loser has a bunch of time on his hands so posts a bunch of bullshit and now is the expert on whether a team got shafted by the officials? Good for you. Here’s your trophy for 30K+ posts…. What an embarrassing thing to be proud of.

Eh he’s a quality poster on this board. I’d probably pick him over about half of the other regs here.

18 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

We were outcoached and outplayed tonight. No doubt. UW had a veteran team, and executed at a level we did not. 

I think it very clear we were out coached or.. perhaps semantics, I Sark over coached offensively and we were out coached defensively. Now, to be clear I underestimated the W line. They're better than I thought, we had no answer to their Oline and O game plan. That was out coached.

On offense, and I'm sure in this thread it's been beaten to death but I just got back from the game.. Sark had a shit early script leaning far to heavily on passing, imo. I think, running hard and often earlier might have been a punch in the nose for UW.

We didn't, at all, much to our detriment.

I'm not sold on Quinn getting where we need him to.. but hey, I wouldn't be a Texas fan without jumping into the QB controversy. That will play out in spring and if Arch is ready I belive Sark will lean winning over nice guy. His offensive arrogance in this game pretty much confirms that as I see it.

Anyway, I said it before the game. I viewed this as game as bonus action. We won the Big XII on the way out.. I would have liked to face Michigan. 

We aren't, I'm bummed, but I'm still happy with the year. Not sunshine pumping. If you had told me we'd be in the CFP at the start of this year, I would have laughed at you... so..  

There's my perspective, it's worth what you paid for it.

• Hook 'Em 4

14 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I will confess that I nearly got physically ill when they put 1 second back on the clock.  I was thinking, "We're going to be fucking Nebraska now."

I was wondering about the ramifications. But it was totally dependent on the outcome. Score a winning TD there and Providence would’ve been perceived differently. It would’ve been written into the scrolls as if it was divine intervention. 

Just now, Beer Drinker said:

I’m sure it has been discussed already but what happened to Keilan’s arm?  And why put him back in at kick return when Blue looked better?  Also why was JWhitt returning punts?

Injured his hand in practice.  Sark maybe thought he could use the huge wrap on his hand to club defenders away, maybe?

15 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I would have liked to see the first half with Derek Williams and Sark not going braindead with the running game.  we averaged 6.4 a carry with our longest being Ewers 21 yarder.

absolutely this.  was texting maxhorn in 1Q:

RUN

THE

FUCKING

BALL

off tackle we were gashing them

granted they started putting 7 in the box, then 6 on the line, but that was after we went away from the run

sark is an offensive scripting genius

but as the head corch you have to chuck the script when you find something that is 100%

we should have kept going up the middle until they stopped it instead of stopping it ourselves

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, ATXhorn17 said:

Damn, I know this is Surly — but how is anyone mad/upset?

I went to school in the Charlie years... The Longhorns fought and came within 1 second and 12 yards of playing for the Title. 1 less fuck up/fumble/lucky bounce, and we may have won… They won 12 games and a Big 12 championship on their way out. They are all Longhorn Legends in my book (especially J Whitt), and have made me proud to call myself a Texas alum. Hook ‘em!

You're right, this is worlds better than that era...We were deep in a dark dark hole when Charlie was here...Not much better in the Hermann era either.  It's crazy how fast Sark turned things around and has made a ton of great decisions all things considered...

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

Yes the block in the back waveoff was terrible because the only possible logic for waving it off is that it was after the play, in which case it's a personal foul. It can't be nothing, but that's what they decided. 

Craig and Roger were trying to say inside 5 yards it’s ok? I’m not a rules expert but I’m not aware of that. Plus I thought it was after the play.

1 minute ago, Beer Drinker said:

Blue looks fucking good

I hope he stays

The one thing that truly pissed me off was when the camera panned to Ewers before we even knew we had even a slight chance to win, he was over there talking and smiling and chewing sunflower seeds. I don't know about y'all, but I would like my QB to sit there and figure out what he's doing wrong, not chillaxing and cutting it up knowing (at the time) you were going to lose. I want a QB who's pissed that he's losing a CFP game that took a lot of work from everyone on the team, only for him to sit the r and smile. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

The one thing that truly pissed me off was when the camera panned to Ewers before we even knew we had even a slight chance to win, he was over there talking and smiling and chewing sunflower seeds. I don't know about y'all, but I would like my QB to sit there and figure out what he's doing wrong, not chillaxing and cutting it up knowing (at the time) you were going to lose. I want a QB who's pissed that he's losing a CFP game that took a lot of work from everyone on the team, only for him to sit the r and smile. 

I just chalk it up to an unflappable mentality. Confidence. I think it is obvious that the dude cares and is invested in Texas FB. He let it all hang out this year, came back from injury early, etc.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

If having Brooks back healthy means one of Baxter or Blue transfers, I’d prefer to keep Blue.

I agree.  Blue is better than Baxter.  Plus he looked good on kickoffs. Baxter is just a freshman so hopefully another year pays off for him.  Blue just has an extra gear

Edited by Beer Drinker
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Azbadlands said:

You're right, this is worlds better than that era...We were deep in a dark dark hole when Charlie was here...Not much better in the Hermann era either.  It's crazy how fast Sark turned things around and has made a ton of great decisions all things considered...

The Herman era wasn't terrible just terrible based on Texas standards. 

90% of college football programs would take 3 top 25 finishes in 4 seasons. The issue for Herman is that was clearly his ceiling. Good but not great. Either way, the Herman era was nowhere close to Strong. 

• immamac unpinned this topic