2024 Weight Loss/Exercise Thread

Let's run it back for another year fellas. Feels like the '23 thread had some really good info and guys kicking ass. 

After a gluttonous, booze-soaked period stretching from around 12/21 thru bedtime last night, kicking off Day 1 of getting back to it. This will be my 5th or 6th straight year to do Almost Entirely Dry January (always have at least 1 cheat day for company party). Gonna wait until tomorrow morning for some of the weekend's bloating to subside to do my official weigh-in to determine my "real" starting weight. 

Happy that this year, for a change, I'm not starting over from scratch in the gym. Worked out pretty damn consistently  for most of '23 and, despite the holidays, still managed to hit the gym more often than not in December. For once, I won't be heading into my first workout of the year this afternoon feeling weak as hell and won't be sore for several days afterwards. 

Good luck all, and keep the updates coming.

• Hook 'Em 1

Copying the above from the last thread. Ate more beef and sweets over the last month than I normally do, but didn't do too much damage. Winter weather has me slacking on running in the cold, dark mornings. Luckily, this means I have been lifting harder and longer. Up to 163 now. Pants are noticeably tighter around my thighs. Really missed alcohol last night. 

UT Football and holidays are over. 

I've had way too much alcohol, unhealthy food, sitting for work, and not nearly enough exercise since March 2020.

Time to get back to less unhealthy habits. 

207 pounds of out of shape checking in on Jan 2.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Slacks said:

UT Football and holidays are over. 

I've had way too much alcohol, unhealthy food, sitting for work, and not nearly enough exercise since March 2020.

Time to get back to less unhealthy habits. 

207 pounds of out of shape checking in on Jan 2.

Dude what? 207 pounds would be awesome right about now.

215 and needing to get down to 200, which is my ideal fighting weight.

• Hook 'Em 1

266 today.

Goal is 200 by end of the year.  Keto and exercise program on Peloton.

Losing weight has not been the challenge for me, it's maintaining that desired weight.

Making it happen this time.  For good.

1 hour ago, BeardIP said:

Dude what? 207 pounds would be awesome right about now.

215 and needing to get down to 200, which is my ideal fighting weight.

Anything over 205 I start to feel it. I don't look fat or whatever, I just don't feel like I have the same 'go'. I'm a skinny fat that should be running 190.

Definitely overindulged between UT football, Thanksgiving, birthday, Christmas parties, etc. 

First day back in the gym since Dec 21. Paid for it. 

Need to do a cut and drop about 10 pounds from the holidays. Back to counting 

Posted (edited)

In March I was 263, got down to 231 but fucked up my ankle seriously and couldn’t really do shit for the last month and finished the year at 239. Didn’t do much than light lifting and cut way way down on alcohol. Ready for this god damn ankle to get to 100% and keep the train going. 

Edited by Zepol87
  • Hook 'Em 1

Did a pretty good job of staying on my workout routine in December, but diet went to shit and I drank a ton. Dry January started today, with two cheat days for special social engagements, so I’ll probably extend it a week into February. My body could use a good detox.

• Hook 'Em 1

In.  Going to limit alcohol and sugar.  Keep getting stronger.  Two goals: bench body weight and get my average mile down below ten minutes.   I think I’ll do the first sooner.  Last five mile run took me right at an hour.

• Hook 'Em 1

I’m down 10 from last Jan. Too much back and forth on my diet. Found a good workout program and got the diet dialed in during the holidays (which was not easy). I have 8 weeks to drop 10 more or so before my annual.

1 hour ago, Basil said:

Unfortunately the number one driver on my weight loss - about 75% - is no alcohol. For me, it’s drink and be fat or no drinks and rum and be skinny. Not much in between.

I discovered this many years ago after a dry January in my early 40s.  I was in decent shape with some good muscle tone after getting back into the gym.  But I was far from cut, and after the Thanksgiving/Christmas/New Years cycle of heavy drinking, I had started to get soft in the middle.  After a solid month of laying off the booze, the extra pounds disappeared and I had gotten chiseled to the point that my then-wife had taken notice and was impressed.  We fight a declining metabolism when we get older, and throwing heavy alcohol consumption on top of that makes it exponentially worse, even if you have a healthy diet and good exercise routine.  I notice it much more now at 49.

Posted (edited)

Weighed in at 201 this morning. Was 196 last time I checked in mid-December, so 5 lbs tacked on seems about right for the nearly 2-week food and booze spree I was on. Shouldn't take very long to get back to pre-bender weight, especially with zero beer intake and renewed focus on diet. 

Big goal the next few weeks/months is to change up, or really, add on, to the gym routine I had for most of 2023. Was laser focused on weight training and really only did maybe 20 minutes of cardio before lifting to get warmed up. Not nearly enough core work either. I put on some solid muscle mass, dropped some body fat %, and lost an inch or so off the waistline, but never really got anywhere near "slim and trim." This Spring is gonna be more focused on shedding weight and getting back closer to my perennial goal weight of 185. 

Edited by Storm the Field

I discovered this many years ago after a dry January in my early 40s.  I was in decent shape with some good muscle tone after getting back into the gym.  But I was far from cut, and after the Thanksgiving/Christmas/New Years cycle of heavy drinking, I had started to get soft in the middle.  After a solid month of laying off the booze, the extra pounds disappeared and I had gotten chiseled to the point that my then-wife had taken notice and was impressed.  We fight a declining metabolism when we get older, and throwing heavy alcohol consumption on top of that makes it exponentially worse, even if you have a healthy diet and good exercise routine.  I notice it much more now at 49.

Try being 58 fucker. It only gets worse. If I look even LOOK at an IPA these days, I swear I gain 2 pounds. Down from 198 to 174 in 2023. Here’s to keeping the train going in the right direction in 24 all.
  • Hook 'Em 4

9 hours ago, South Austin said:

Pretty much why I don’t drink much anymore. Maybe 2-3 drinks a month. The hangovers get worse, the bloat gets worse and the extra calories show up now

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

one of the advantages of keto:

bourbon is 100% compatible. You can also get away with ultra or flight beers, but I really enjoy good beer.  That beer flavored water ain't worth it for me.   

Bunch of neighbors are doing dry January. I’m adding in no-sugar as a step towards low (processed) carbs. I was doing well at the end of last year and dropped about 20 lbs but put most of it back over the holidays. It was particularly festive this year.

I have a week in Vegas this month. That will be a test. Luckily other things are legal there.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

not a regular on this thread through out the year, but definitely on the Dry January kick (again).

Day 3 of it, and it suuuuuucks. 5th year doing it. day 1-2 are easy. My history with it suggests day 4-7 will suck - mild cravings, lethargy, boredom. Days 8-14 just boredom. Then day 15 it's good as the dopamine hijack by alcohol is broken.  we've decided to watch a movie most nights together to pass the time.

trying to cut processed carbs too but not natural sugar, as I'm a strong advocate for fruit consumption, the nutrients in grapes, oranges, bananas, blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, pears, apples, pineapple, etc. are too good for our bodies to cut out just because of sugar. mind you I don't eat 1000 calories of them but make them a part of my breakfast and lunch. Same with nuts, yougurt and oatmeal. if you cut out processed carbs, the natural carbs can actually help balance weight and what they do for heart health and cancer fighting is too good to ignore. 

nagging injuries keeping me from tip top physical condition but I'm going to get back to weights and the bike in addition to high intensity tennis. I'm hoping for 7 hours per week of physical activity. going to start ramping that up next week.

not watching weight but I'm sure I could benefit from dropping 15 pounds, I'm sure it would get my wife chasing me around the house a bit more too.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 1/3/2024 at 9:08 AM, Storm the Field said:

Weighed in at 201 this morning.

Holy water retention, Batman! Scale on Wednesday was actually 201.8.  48 hours later and I clocked in at 197.6 before heading to the gym this morning. I'll split the baby and call 199 my "true" starting weight for the year.

Checking in.  Same story as everyone else regarding overdoing it from Thanksgiving to New Years and starting a dry January.  Haven't stepped on a scale yet but probably need to drop 10 to hit my 2023 summer weight of 155 (5'8 manlet).  Best tools in my Arsenal:

1. Diet tracker and food scale.  Allows me to be very accurate in my caloric deficit calculations.
  2. Food Hacks.  Greek Yogurt to replace sour cream/ranch dip, Edamame Noodles in for pasta, Keto Bread, No Sugar Ginger Beer mocktails 
  3. Being flexible with my workout so long as I do them.  Lift, HIIT, Run, Cycle, Kettle Bells, etc. I just pick whichever sounds most engaging that day.  

3 hours ago, Bodhi said:

Checking in.  Same story as everyone else regarding overdoing it from Thanksgiving to New Years and starting a dry January.  Haven't stepped on a scale yet but probably need to drop 10 to hit my 2023 summer weight of 155 (5'8 manlet).  Best tools in my Arsenal:

1. Diet tracker and food scale.  Allows me to be very accurate in my caloric deficit calculations.
  2. Food Hacks.  Greek Yogurt to replace sour cream/ranch dip, Edamame Noodles in for pasta, Keto Bread, No Sugar Ginger Beer mocktails 
  3. Being flexible with my workout so long as I do them.  Lift, HIIT, Run, Cycle, Kettle Bells, etc. I just pick whichever sounds most engaging that day.  

You should also stop smoking.

I’ll admit first Friday of dry January is …

Rachel Dratch Television GIF by Saturday Night Live

just highlights the importance.

decided carbs would be ok for dinner instead. House made chicken lo mein with lots of veggies - one of my favorite  dishes.

Holy water retention, Batman! Scale on Wednesday was actually 201.8.  48 hours later and I clocked in at 197.6 before heading to the gym this morning. I'll split the baby and call 199 my "true" starting weight for the year.

The only two things you shed in any measurable quantities when you lose weight are water and carbon dioxide so…count it!

15 hours ago, troph said:

I’ll admit first Friday of dry January is …

Rachel Dratch Television GIF by Saturday Night Live

Never fails. Even after it doing it for half a decade now, the first weekend is always an adjustment.

Unless you routinely drink every single day, taking off those first few weeknights of January is usually not too much of a challenge. After a couple sober sleeps, usually paired with better diet and some exercise, you're feeling pretty good and start thinking "I should do this more often." It's usually the first Friday evening that the craving monster rears its ugly head. 

Worked kind late yesterday and was driving home at peak happy hour time on a nice evening. Drove past multiple patio bars full of people enjoying themselves, and I'll be damned if I didn't feel a bit jealous of those folks.

Dry January sometimes reminds me of being a kid again and being grounded and sitting at home while your friends are out having fun. Except you're an adult and you've grounded yourself. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I’ve been using SmartGym on my phone and watch and really been liking it so far. 

I’m not trying to gain weight or lose weight but the gym at 5 AM is where I do all my planning for the workday or week ahead. I like how the app keeps track of the next exercise, reps, heart rate, time between sets, etc so I don’t have to. 

Also the best feature is it will recommend a new exercise (same muscle group) after you’ve done the same one for 5 or so workouts. 

1 hour ago, Storm the Field said:

Never fails. Even after it doing it for half a decade now, the first weekend is always an adjustment.

Unless you routinely drink every single day, taking off those first few weeknights of January is usually not too much of a challenge. After a couple sober sleeps, usually paired with better diet and some exercise, you're feeling pretty good and start thinking "I should do this more often." It's usually the first Friday evening that the craving monster rears its ugly head. 

Worked kind late yesterday and was driving home at peak happy hour time on a nice evening. Drove past multiple patio bars full of people enjoying themselves, and I'll be damned if I didn't feel a bit jealous of those folks.

Dry January sometimes reminds me of being a kid again and being grounded and sitting at home while your friends are out having fun. Except you're an adult and you've grounded yourself. 

I’m a reliable two drinks no more per evening drinker from about September through the end of the year. So the first weekend is an adjustment. 

I played a round of golf with a buddy in 3 hours 10 mins and played really well this morning so there’s that. Probably going fishing tomorrow is there’s that too.

grounded from one kind of fun for sure. 

I’ve been using SmartGym on my phone and watch and really been liking it so far. 

I’m not trying to gain weight or lose weight but the gym at 5 AM is where I do all my planning for the workday or week ahead. I like how the app keeps track of the next exercise, reps, heart rate, time between sets, etc so I don’t have to. 

Also the best feature is it will recommend a new exercise (same muscle group) after you’ve done the same one for 5 or so workouts. 

I joined a team on The Ladder app. I’m really happy with it.

I'm down about 25 lbs since stopping Ozempic in August (won't be going back on that stuff) although the initial weight loss was good at a time when I couldn't seem to kick start things.  I stalled during the holidays, but am only about 2 lbs up from my low in early December.  Dry January should help me push through and get sub 200 lbs for the first time in ten  years.  Lots of yogurt and salads to get to this point.  Good luck to all.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, dcbc said:

Dry January should help me push through

Weighing in at 195, I'm using this as a kick-start to the New Year.   I'm skinny fat with a solid beer belly.  Throw is some arthritic ankles too.  Hoping an improved diet, decent amount of exercise and reduced alcohol consumption will get me back to where I want to be.

Edited by hacker
  • Hook 'Em 1

49 minutes ago, hacker said:

Weighing in at 195, I'm using this as a kick-start to the New Year.   I'm skinny fat with a solid beer belly.  Throw is some arthritic ankles too.  Hoping an improved diet, decent amount of exercise and reduced alcohol consumption will get me back to where I want to be.

I should say that in the past, dry January has caused me to seek out sweets outside of meals (carb compensating, I guess).  Really trying not to snack during the week to overcome this phenomenon this year.

• Hook 'Em 1

I need a good free weights workout plan that's reasonable.  I have lifted a bunch in my life, but it's been a good while.  I'm also old (46) and have had 6 knee surgeries, so have to be careful.  Anyone have something they like?  (I'm going back to read the thread to see what's been said so far, just haven't had time to do it)

On 1/3/2024 at 9:31 AM, txduck87 said:

Try being 58 fucker. It only gets worse. If I look even LOOK at an IPA these days, I swear I gain 2 pounds. Down from 198 to 174 in 2023. Here’s to keeping the train going in the right direction in 24 all.

Just turned 57 yesterday and have been hitting the scales at 205+, mostly plus for the last couple of months.

I weighed 193 in early July and then my dad died an threw me off for a bit and I shot up to present weight.

I would like to get down into the upper 170s like you (5'-11") .tell me what you do because my usual stuff is not working, in fact, I seem to be struggling not to gain weight despite the fact that I cycle 110 miles a week and do that pretty hard.

For weights I need to stick to a home dumbell routine due to jacked up shoulders.

I got the no booze thing but it just doesn't seem to have the impact (quitting) that it once did.

I will reveal more as suggestions come in, but I am super frustrated.

I need a good free weights workout plan that's reasonable.  I have lifted a bunch in my life, but it's been a good while.  I'm also old (46) and have had 6 knee surgeries, so have to be careful.  Anyone have something they like?  (I'm going back to read the thread to see what's been said so far, just haven't had time to do it)

I turned 46 today and have joint issues. I joined the app The Ladder. There are a bunch of different coaches / teams on there that fit what you want to do. I think it’s $20 a month.
  • Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, uoftorange said:

I need a good free weights workout plan that's reasonable.  

There are a million different weight routines out there, and they largely depend on your goals and age. I do a simple “push-leg-pull” routine, working in a rest day somewhere and following the cycle with a day of cardio.

The bottom line is that at our age you need to leave your ego at the door, and focus heavily on form with lighter weight and higher reps. Who gives a shit how much a 40-something or 50-something is lifting. And stretch a ton, especially your shoulder joints.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, South Austin said:

There are a million different weight routines out there, and they largely depend on your goals and age. I do a simple “push-leg-pull” routine, working in a rest day somewhere and following the cycle with a day of cardio.

The bottom line is that at our age you need to leave your ego at the door, and focus heavily on form with lighter weight and higher reps. Who gives a shit how much a 40-something or 50-something is lifting. And stretch a ton, especially your shoulder joints.

Luckily I have zero ego when it comes to weight lifting.  I'm tall with long arms and bad knees.  I just want to get rid of this fat blob I have left and put on some lean muscle.  I have zero need to be Arnold or even Ryan Reynolds.  I just don't want to be fat anymore

And stretching is my biggest issue of all issues. I have to figure out how to get that in.  It's probably the most important thing I can do for my joints and sadly I just haven't done it for a very long time

I have not participated in this thread in the past, but I'm jumping in for this year.  I saw my largest number ever on the scale last week and it has my attention.  I've never been a big guy, but I need to drop a solid 20lbs from that number to get back to my desired weight.  I'm doing dry (damp) January as well.  Meaning I had one preplanned drinking day last Saturday and I'll be ending the month with a trip to Cabo where I'll allow myself to moderately imbibe.

The more notable thing is I started a 7 day water fast after dinner last night.  I've done 3 day fasts in the past, but his will be my longest to date by more than double.  I'm not doing it simply for the fat loss part of it, but more for the autophagy and metabolic reset it purportedly provides.  Coming off the fast, I'll be implementing my simple three rule eating plan: 1) No processed sugar 2) no flour 3) nothing deep fried. I will strictly adhere to this until my weight goal is met, then I'll allow myself occasional consumption of those, in moderation of course.

Lastly, I'm going to ramp up my workouts as well.  Last fall I averaged one 45 minute cardio session and a one hour trainer led lifting session per week.  Over this month I'll double that to 2x cardio per week and 2x weight training.

I'm looking forward to comparing notes and cheering each other on as we kick 2024 off the right way together.

First week in the books. Hope everybody's first weekend of Dry January passed without too much difficulty.

Nice to wake up this morning without a mild hangover, bloated and puffy. On the other hand, doing so required foregoing my beloved Sunday night routine of having several good beers while cooking a decadent supper. Oh well, gotta crack some eggs to make an omelet.

Went to the gym every day TUE-SAT and then got in both a long dog walk yesterday morning and an hour-long bike ride in the afternoon. Planning to kick ass in the gym this week and start working in some additional core exercises. Scheduled cheat day coming up Saturday. Gonna meet some buddies for a beer or two during Texans playoff game and then have my firm's belated Holiday Dinner that evening. Recovery day Sunday and then it's back to clean living the rest of the month.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BTW said:

I have not participated in this thread in the past, but I'm jumping in for this year.  I saw my largest number ever on the scale last week and it has my attention.  I've never been a big guy, but I need to drop a solid 20lbs from that number to get back to my desired weight.  I'm doing dry (damp) January as well.  Meaning I had one preplanned drinking day last Saturday and I'll be ending the month with a trip to Cabo where I'll allow myself to moderately imbibe.

The more notable thing is I started a 7 day water fast after dinner last night.  I've done 3 day fasts in the past, but his will be my longest to date by more than double.  I'm not doing it simply for the fat loss part of it, but more for the autophagy and metabolic reset it purportedly provides.  Coming off the fast, I'll be implementing my simple three rule eating plan: 1) No processed sugar 2) no flour 3) nothing deep fried. I will strictly adhere to this until my weight goal is met, then I'll allow myself occasional consumption of those, in moderation of course.

Lastly, I'm going to ramp up my workouts as well.  Last fall I averaged one 45 minute cardio session and a one hour trainer led lifting session per week.  Over this month I'll double that to 2x cardio per week and 2x weight training.

I'm looking forward to comparing notes and cheering each other on as we kick 2024 off the right way together.

I used to fast a lot. 7 day water only is really, really hard if you have responsibilities. if you've done it before, no prob. if you haven't, consider low calorie, low sugar vegetable and fruit juices. like super low calorie (under 80 calories per serving). just enough to keep you from losing it.

1 week in, very aggressive keto, as in, at least 3 of the days I had zero carbs.

11 pounds lost.  My wife, who is slender, just said, ‘Fuck you’.  For posting that weight at the one week mark.  I just started laughing.

I am happy about the start. It’s like a great jump out of the blocks.

https://go.rpstrength.com/hypertrophy-app/?referralCode=RP_IG&utm_source=instagram&utm_medium=bio&utm_campaign=RP_IG
  • Hook 'Em 1

It's been a few years since I've done a sustained fast and maybe I'm just getting older, but I don't remember it sucking this bad.  I'm just under 48 hours and I have felt hungry for probably 75% of my waking hours today.  I seem to remember the hunger as being pretty strong for short stints and then more or less fading away.

If my resolve wanes, I'll prob go with Troph's suggestion and try to eat minimally.

I’d gotten down to 193 last year, but I’ve been up around 205 for a few months now. I’ve been this weight before (5’8”), but really bad thing this time is my pants are about to be too small.  I’ve cut back (pretty much stopped non body weight) on squats and deadlifts, and it has kept back issues down, but my 205 now is much less muscle mass. If I’m going to be this weak I need to drop at least 25 lbs.  My self control has been terrible, so doctor has me set up to try some ozempic.  Day 3 of diet. We’ll see how this goes. 

I crossed the halfway mark on the fast this morning.  Everything I've heard and read says the cravings and discomfort is supposed to peak between day 2 and 3.  Being in day 4, I can say that while it's still not 'easy' today has been way better than yesterday which was better than Tuesday which was absolutely miserable.  I've also cut out caffeine today (I was allowing myself black coffee and unsweet tea for the first 3 days) and I've gone to strictly water.  Surprisingly, I haven't had any headaches yet today.

I've decided this is the hardest thing I've ever tried health-wise.  Prior to this, that distinction was held by the marathon I ran in 2010 ... this is harder.  This morning I was down 9 lbs since Sunday night, but I recognize that probably 2/3 of that is water that will come right back once I start eating again. I'm hoping for 6-7 lbs of actual weight loss by the end of this, but I guess we'll see.

• Hook 'Em 1