2024 Off-Season Thread

What's the latest on Quinn's decision? He still highly likely to come back? Haven't seen any updates recently, a little surprised he hasn't announced anything yet
Yes, he's still planning on coming back but nothing official has dropped yet. I assume so shortly but I'm no $9.95 guy.

On 1/7/2024 at 6:01 PM, Tex-19 said:

What's the latest on Quinn's decision? He still highly likely to come back? Haven't seen any updates recently, a little surprised he hasn't announced anything yet

WATCH: Texas QB Quinn Ewers officially announces return for 2024 season - Longhorns Wire

January 11, 2024 11:56 am CT

Texas received massive news on Thursday.

Starting quarterback Quinn Ewers has officially announced his return to Texas for the 2024 college football season. Ewers chose not to declare for the NFL draft, which could bode well for his draft stock next year if he continues the upward climb he’s made over the last two seasons.

Ewers is likely to become the Heisman favorite heading into the 2024 season, and he returns four of five starters along the offensive line.

Texas’ star quarterback threw for 3,479 yards and 22 touchdowns in 2023 with a quarterback rating of 78.3. Ewers led the Longhorns to a 12-2 record, Big 12 Championship and College Football Playoff berth.

Having an experienced quarterback and offensive line heading into SEC play this year is a huge positive for Texas. Arch Manning is expected to serve as the backup to Ewers in 2024.

🤘 pic.twitter.com/eWkYFu49zl

— Quinn Ewers (@QuinnEwers) January 11, 2024

• Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Did Tyanthony Smith show up as an early enrollee??

Not sure D'antre Robinson is gonna enroll early now with Bo Davis at Lsu now... may ask to be released from his NLI with Texas.  

Bobby addresses this question in today's Coffee & Football linked below starting at 38:46.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Did Tyanthony Smith show up as an early enrollee??

Not sure D'antre Robinson is gonna enroll early now with Bo Davis at Lsu now... may ask to be released from his NLI with Texas.  

So as Sith posted above, D'antre likely asking out of his NLI...

Also Thx to @UDontKnow post, Bobby Burton confirmed Tyanthony has moved in!!! 

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, sith_horn said:

Bobby addresses this question in today's Coffee & Football linked below starting at 38:46.

Ice cream, sprinkles and milk and cream dought ingredient talk not going away. 

Gibson definitely looks like the thunder to all the 4.4 speed lightning Sark is bringing in. 
Crazy to think Cook's 10.9 speed 100 makes him the slow guy among the top 5 receivers now. 
Damn, Cook getting slower since he arrived on campus?

Quick Google shows 10.6-10.7.

https://www.si.com/college/michigan/recruiting/michigan-football-recruiting-johntay-cook-jim-harbaugh-official-visit-top-3-wolverines

11 hours ago, TejasPedro said:

spacer.pngJerrick Gibson looks extremely hard to tackle. That is a bowling ball.
Christian Clark reminds me of Ray Rice.

Is this a 4am workout?  Cause holy shit those dudes look like they do NOT want to be there. 

Just for shits and gigs

*Backups guesses based off 23-24 depth chart and freshman coming in

QB: Ewers, Arch

RB: Baxter/Blue, Wisner, Gibson, Clark 

WR: Cook, Moore

WR: Bond, Niblett

WR: Golden/Bolden, Wingo

TE: Helm, Davis *Potentially Niblack*

RT: Williams,  Cojoe 

RG: Campbell, Hudson 

OC: Majors, Robertson/Hudson

LG: Conner, Agbo

LT: Banks, Goosby, Baker

Jack: Sorrell, Tapp, Vasek

DT: Collins, Broughton

DT: Bledsoe, January/Hills

NT: Bryant, Mitchell

End: Burke, Finkley, Simmons

SLB: Blackwell, Blackshire

MLB: Lefau

WLB: Gbenda, Hill 

CB: Brooks, Holmes * Possibly Muhammad*

FS: Mubuka, Filsaime/JJR

BS : Williams, Taaffe

CB: Muhammad, Robertson

Star: Barron, Guilbeau

Obviously some of this will change around a bit with some of the guys from the last class and this class playing roles.  WR rotation will be interesting. Cook, Bond, Golden with sets that have Bolden on the field in a few different spots is my guess, with Wingo getting some spots here and there like Cook did this year. I’d think Gbenda, Lefau and Hill will be on the field together. If Jabbar comes in, I’d be curious to see if anyone leaves (Brooks or Holmes). That offense looks fucking incredible even without Niblack.  Add him in and Jesus Christ.  The secondary you’d think would be much improved.   The edge on the DL should be filthy as well.  Another big body at DT would be the chef’s kiss to this roster.  

40 minutes ago, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

Just for shits and gigs

Jack: Sorrell, Tapp, Vasek

DT: Collins, Broughton

DT: Bledsoe, January/Hills

NT: Bryant, Mitchell

End: Burke, Finkley, Simmons

SLB: Blackwell, Blackshire

MLB: Lefau

WLB: Gbenda, Hill 

CB: Brooks, Holmes * Possibly Muhammad*

FS: Mubuka, Filsaime/JJR

BS : Williams, Taaffe

CB: Muhammad, Robertson

Star: Barron, Guilbeau

Obviously some of this will change around a bit with some of the guys from the last class and this class playing roles.  WR rotation will be interesting. Cook, Bond, Golden with sets that have Bolden on the field in a few different spots is my guess, with Wingo getting some spots here and there like Cook did this year. I’d think Gbenda, Lefau and Hill will be on the field together. If Jabbar comes in, I’d be curious to see if anyone leaves (Brooks or Holmes). That offense looks fucking incredible even without Niblack.  Add him in and Jesus Christ.  The secondary you’d think would be much improved.   The edge on the DL should be filthy as well.  Another big body at DT would be the chef’s kiss to this roster.  

I’ve got some great news for you re edge play.

https://x.com/PFF_College/status/1746572130005799252?s=20

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Sock Monkey said:

That’s 7 ends who will be competing for 140-150 snaps per game. If we can’t produce consistent pressure on the QB out of that, then we’ll just be pretenders.

I assume you're counting the Buck and Jack in your 140-150 snaps per game.

Don't forget we had Jett Bush and Mo Blackwell rushing the passer from the SLB position at times too, so there are plenty of ways to get more pass rushers out there in the 70 or so defensive snaps per game.

• Like 1

Good interview, so cross-posting. 🤘

Interesting segment where he says tired of losing and RoJo's speech after jayhawks loss was a turning point for the team.  Belief in their coaching staff and Sark was big.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

Just for shits and gigs

Let me help you out dawg. 

QB: Ewers, Arch, Owens

Power RB: Baxter, Gibson, Clark

Speed RB: Blue, Wisner

WR: Cook, Boldin, Butler

WR: Bond, Wingo, Livingstone

WR: Golden, Moore, Niblett 

TE: Niblack, Helm, Agbo, Sanders, Davis

RT: Williams, Conner, Baker

RG: Campbell, Hudson, Cojoe

OC: Majors, Robertson, Cruz

LG: Umeozulu, Hudson, Stroh

LT: Banks, Goosby, Chatman

Jack: Sorrell, Burke/Tapp, Vasek, Zina

DT: Collins, Broughton, Bledsoe

DT: Mitchell, Bryant, January

Buck: Burke, Moore, Simmons, Walton

SLB: Hill, Blackshire, Burrell

MLB: Gbenda, Lefau

WLB: Blackwell, Gullette

CB: Brooks, Holmes, Mack 

FS: Mukuba/Barron, Filsaime

BS : Williams, McDonald, Taaffe

CB: Muhammad, Black, Roberson

Star: Barron/Mukuba, Guilbeau, JJR

I also expect some portal attrition in the spring: Kirkland, Chatman, Cojoe, Gilbeau, Tapp, Akana, Walton, Jordan, Burrell, and Davis would be the most likely to go. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Vertigo said:

Let me help you out dawg. 

QB: Ewers, Arch, Owens

Power RB: Baxter, Gibson, Clark

Speed RB: Blue, Wisner

WR: Cook, Boldin, Butler

WR: Bond, Wingo, Livingstone

WR: Golden, Moore, Niblett 

TE: Niblack, Helm, Agbo, Sanders, Davis

RT: Williams, Conner, Baker

RG: Campbell, Hudson, Cojoe

OC: Majors, Robertson, Cruz

LG: Umeozulu, Hudson, Stroh

LT: Banks, Goosby, Chatman

Jack: Sorrell, Burke/Tapp, Vasek, Zina

DT: Collins, Broughton, Bledsoe

DT: Mitchell, Bryant, January

Buck: Burke, Moore, Simmons, Walton

SLB: Hill, Blackshire, Burrell

MLB: Gbenda, Lefau

WLB: Blackwell, Gullette

CB: Brooks, Holmes, Mack 

FS: Mukuba/Barron, Filsaime

BS : Williams, McDonald, Taaffe

CB: Muhammad, Black, Roberson

Star: Barron/Mukuba, Guilbeau, JJR

I also expect some portal attrition in the spring: Kirkland, Chatman, Cojoe, Gilbeau, Tapp, Akana, Walton, Jordan, Burrell, and Davis would be the most likely to go. 

Looks better for sure. 

Interesting names on your bye bye list.  Tapp got PT some last year.  Walton I feel stays cause Manny (and possibly Jabbar) are there. At least one more year with the cousins.  It’ll be interesting for sure. 

Chatman, Akana, and Walton aren't going anywhere. Burrell probably sticks around unless he doesn't see a path.

I could see Holmes leaving if he gets in a dogfight in the spring. If we get J. Muhammad, M. Muhammad and T. Brooks would split time in the boundary, and M. Muhammad could easily spell J. Muhammad when needed. That leaves Holmes, Roberson, Black, and Mack fighting for snaps in the spring. 

I could see Red leaving as well. Competitive spring upcoming. Hopefully everyone stays healthy.

29 minutes ago, FreeHorn said:

Not sure if this is the right place, but did anybody find out why Ford and J Whit didn’t participate in the senior bowl? I would have thought both could have used a good showing to help draft stock. 

Just a guess...

Recently reported that Ford played with an injury during part of this past season.  (Might have been some type of hernia injury)

26 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Just a guess...

Recently reported that Ford played with an injury during part of this past season.  (Might have been some type of hernia injury)

Damn. Make sense for him then. He could have used the exposure but getting healthy for pro day and combine are more important.