2024 Off-Season Thread

4 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Is the thinking still that Goosby will replace Banks after this upcoming season?

Last update on this I saw from Bobby Burton in late Dec:

Trevor Goosby and  Jaydon Chatman are fighting for backup to Banks right now.  Chatman may also be able to play on the interior.  Kirkland has been injured a bit this year and fallen behind Goosby, Chatman, and Stroh.

Both Kirkland and Andre Cojoe are a little behind right now. 

Guess this is best thread for this update...

Bobby Burton OTF this morning:

I continue to be told that both Brandon Harris, currently the director of recruiting, and John Michael Jones, the assistant director of player personnel, are expected to be elevated.

Harris is likely to become the team’s general manager or whatever terminology Steve Sarkisian opts to call it, a role which was expected to be held by Billy Glasscock prior to his move to Ole Miss last week. Harris has been a steady, trusted force in the recruiting department for the Longhorns under Sark.

Jones is expected to become the director of player personnel. Jones has been a behind-the-scenes figure for Texas for several years. The team’s successful walk-on program can be partially attributed to his efforts beginning several years ago.

The Texas coaches are off this week. Many will be out of the office. Some are taking mini vacations, some are going to see family, etc.

But as always, recruiting never stops this time of year.

There was a time when the first Wednesday in February was complete chaos for Texas and every other college football team. Not anymore.

It’s almost crazy to consider the Horns will have a completely quiet second signing day.

CJ Vogel (OTF) Sunday Team Notes

I was able to meet up late Saturday night with a source to pass along some interesting team notes as winter conditioning moves on.

First off, one of the names I have heard that is making an early impression is freshman cornerback Wardell Mack. The 6-foot corner has been someone that has really adjusted to the world of college football and gotten off to a hot start.

Next is DT Alex January, who has slimmed down about 10 pounds since he arrived to campus. Something to watch as Texas monitors its defensive tackle room, right now, it looks like January is taking the necessary steps to get onto the field early. We will see how that develops in the spring.

I have heard freshman EDGE Colin Simmons has added about 15-20 pounds of muscle since Christmas. Word is he is right around 240 pounds after being right around 220 when I last saw him in person in Orlando for the Under Armour All American Game.

If Simmons is able to carry 240 pounds at the moment, that would be massive for the Longhorns on the EDGE moving into the spring and into the fall from there.

Last freshman I have heard positive remarks about is Ty'Anthony Smith. The Jasper prospect has taken an impressive approach to college football as the only linebacker in the class. Smith was a late addition but has quickly adjusted to the world of college football. A bit of a slimmer lower body, but a wide open approach to body development is going to be something that might get Smith on the field earlier than expected. Positives all around. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Really interested to see what happens at RB in 2024. Baxter was solid all around but nothing spectacular, it looked like he was banged up most of the year. Excited to see what he can do fully healthy. Blue was a pleasant surprise, though I think he should still be a change of pace back and not get a heavy load of carries. I thought Tre Wisner looked good, showing a lot of toughness in a smaller frame. 

Now we bring in Gibson and Christian Clark. I don't know much about either, but have read some people who are really high on Clark. I'm assuming it's easier to convince RBs to share carries these days as the desire for a bellcow back is fading away. But that room is stacked. Fascinated to see how it plays out. 

28 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Really interested to see what happens at RB in 2024. Baxter was solid all around but nothing spectacular, it looked like he was banged up most of the year. Excited to see what he can do fully healthy. Blue was a pleasant surprise, though I think he should still be a change of pace back and not get a heavy load of carries. I thought Tre Wisner looked good, showing a lot of toughness in a smaller frame. 

Now we bring in Gibson and Christian Clark. I don't know much about either, but have read some people who are really high on Clark. I'm assuming it's easier to convince RBs to share carries these days as the desire for a bellcow back is fading away. But that room is stacked. Fascinated to see how it plays out. 

Still have Red as well.  Gotta' think we lose somebody to the portal after spring, I think we will need to lose a few to get to 85 regardless.

31 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Why shouldn't Blue get a heavy load of carries? 

On 2/8/2024 at 11:05 AM, Fud said:

Why shouldn't Blue get a heavy load of carries? 

On 2/8/2024 at 3:44 PM, Hermanator said:

I can't imagine Red isn't playing elsewhere next season

Very fine people on both sides 

Edited by Nope
  • Rage+1 1

From 247 (FCB):

The Insider: Winter conditioning scoop nearly a month out from spring football

Spoiler

Winter conditioning rolls into its fourth week with Texas a month out from the start of spring football on March 19. We’ve got updates on a few veterans, a couple of transfers as well as a couple of early enrollee freshmen.

Let’s start with the veterans.

I heard from a few team sources rising senior linebacker Morice Blackwell Jr. has been a standout in winter conditioning, not only from a performance standpoint but also in terms of his leadership.

“I think Mo is sensing it’s his time to step up,” one team source said. “He’s always brought good energy to workouts, but he’s healthy, looks great and is leading from the front of the line.”

The source said Blackwell, David Gbenda and Anthony Hill Jr. have been helping Alabama transfer Kendrick Blackshire get acclimated to the program. Blackshire (6-2, 233) played 102 snaps last season and was the highest-rated player on the Crimson Tide defense with a grade of 90.8, according to Pro Football Focus.

Blackshire served as Alabama’s backup middle linebacker last season after Nick Saban landed Trezmen Marshall as a fifth-year senior transfer from Georgia. A source close to Blackshire, who finished his high school career at Duncanville in 2020, said the former Top247 member (No. 222 overall in 2021) was attracted to Texas “because of the opportunity to compete for the starting middle linebacker job” with two-time first-team All-Big 12 selection Jaylan Ford not using his COVID-19 redshirt to return to school and entering the 2024 NFL Draft.

That source said Blackshire is now trying to do at Texas what Marshall did to Blackshire at Alabama last season — transfer into a top program and become the starter. A Texas source said Blackshire, who had three tackles in the game against the Longhorns last season, outplayed Marshall in 2023.

“The thing you like about Blackshire is just his experience and maturity,” the Texas source said. “On film, you can see he knows what he’s doing out there. Now, he’s gotta get comfortable in a new system, but he’s motivated.”

— I asked about Clemson transfer safety Andrew Mukuba and was told Mukuba has only been in workouts “for two days.”

So, I’ll follow up on Mukuba after he’s had more time.

— According to team sources, some early enrollee freshmen who have been standing out include safety Xavier Filsaime (for the second week in a row), EDGE Colin Simmons, running back Jerrick Gibson and offensive linemen Daniel Cruz and Brandon Baker.

On Filsaime: “Attacks every workout. Great energy.”

On Simmons: “He’s put on at least 10 pounds of good weight already.”

On Gibson: “He’s trying to outwork everyone.”

On Cruz (6-3, 310): “He’s a strong kid. Good head on his shoulders.”

On Baker (6-4, 288): “Super athletic. Needs to get stronger. But you can see it.”

— Speaking of the offensive line, I was told the only six linemen in Kyle Flood’s circle of trust right now are: Kelvin Banks Jr., Hayden Conner, Jake Majors, DJ Campbell, Cole Hutson and Cam Williams.

On Williams, I’m told, head strength coach Torre Becton is trying to get Williams’ weight down (he was listed last year at 369, but it sounds like he came into workouts closer to 375) so he can move better in pass protection, especially against speed rushers.

Don’t be surprised if Conner gets a look at right tackle in competition with Williams during spring practices while Hutson gets a look at left guard in competition with Neto Umeozulu, sources said.

— In last week’s edition of The Insider, we talked about how stocked the Texas wide receiver room is and how much speed just arrived on campus in the form of Alabama transfer Isaiah Bond (already clocked at 22 mph) and Aaron Butler (10-second 100-meter guy).

I’m told Matthew Golden, who joins Bond as a transfer who's going through winter conditioning as a spring enrollee among the three wideouts the Longhorns recruited out of the NCAA transfer portal (Oregon State's Silas Bolden won't get to the Forty Acres until June), has been “a leader by example.”

“Matthew’s not a real vocal guy,” said a team source of the former Houston Cougar. “But his actions speak loudly. He grinds.”

— It’s hard to say how excited Texas tight ends coach/special teams coordinator Jeff Banks is about Alabama transfer Amari Niblack (6-4, 233).

“Banks feels like Niblack can do a lot of the things JT [Ja'Tavion Sanders] did for the offense,” a team source told Horns247. “He runs really, really well and gets in and out of his breaks like a receiver.”

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, MuellerHorn said:

From 247 (FCB):

Reveal hidden contents

Winter conditioning rolls into its fourth week with Texas a month out from the start of spring football on March 19. We’ve got updates on a few veterans, a couple of transfers as well as a couple of early enrollee freshmen.

Let’s start with the veterans.

I heard from a few team sources rising senior linebacker Morice Blackwell Jr. has been a standout in winter conditioning, not only from a performance standpoint but also in terms of his leadership.

“I think Mo is sensing it’s his time to step up,” one team source said. “He’s always brought good energy to workouts, but he’s healthy, looks great and is leading from the front of the line.”

The source said Blackwell, David Gbenda and Anthony Hill Jr. have been helping Alabama transfer Kendrick Blackshire get acclimated to the program. Blackshire (6-2, 233) played 102 snaps last season and was the highest-rated player on the Crimson Tide defense with a grade of 90.8, according to Pro Football Focus.

Blackshire served as Alabama’s backup middle linebacker last season after Nick Saban landed Trezmen Marshall as a fifth-year senior transfer from Georgia. A source close to Blackshire, who finished his high school career at Duncanville in 2020, said the former Top247 member (No. 222 overall in 2021) was attracted to Texas “because of the opportunity to compete for the starting middle linebacker job” with two-time first-team All-Big 12 selection Jaylan Ford not using his COVID-19 redshirt to return to school and entering the 2024 NFL Draft.

That source said Blackshire is now trying to do at Texas what Marshall did to Blackshire at Alabama last season — transfer into a top program and become the starter. A Texas source said Blackshire, who had three tackles in the game against the Longhorns last season, outplayed Marshall in 2023.

“The thing you like about Blackshire is just his experience and maturity,” the Texas source said. “On film, you can see he knows what he’s doing out there. Now, he’s gotta get comfortable in a new system, but he’s motivated.”

— I asked about Clemson transfer safety Andrew Mukuba and was told Mukuba has only been in workouts “for two days.”

So, I’ll follow up on Mukuba after he’s had more time.

— According to team sources, some early enrollee freshmen who have been standing out include safety Xavier Filsaime (for the second week in a row), EDGE Colin Simmons, running back Jerrick Gibson and offensive linemen Daniel Cruz and Brandon Baker.

On Filsaime: “Attacks every workout. Great energy.”

On Simmons: “He’s put on at least 10 pounds of good weight already.”

On Gibson: “He’s trying to outwork everyone.”

On Cruz (6-3, 310): “He’s a strong kid. Good head on his shoulders.”

On Baker (6-4, 288): “Super athletic. Needs to get stronger. But you can see it.”

— Speaking of the offensive line, I was told the only six linemen in Kyle Flood’s circle of trust right now are: Kelvin Banks Jr., Hayden Conner, Jake Majors, DJ Campbell, Cole Hutson and Cam Williams.

On Williams, I’m told, head strength coach Torre Becton is trying to get Williams’ weight down (he was listed last year at 369, but it sounds like he came into workouts closer to 375) so he can move better in pass protection, especially against speed rushers.

Don’t be surprised if Conner gets a look at right tackle in competition with Williams during spring practices while Hutson gets a look at left guard in competition with Neto Umeozulu, sources said.

— In last week’s edition of The Insider, we talked about how stocked the Texas wide receiver room is and how much speed just arrived on campus in the form of Alabama transfer Isaiah Bond (already clocked at 22 mph) and Aaron Butler (10-second 100-meter guy).

I’m told Matthew Golden, who joins Bond as a transfer who's going through winter conditioning as a spring enrollee among the three wideouts the Longhorns recruited out of the NCAA transfer portal (Oregon State's Silas Bolden won't get to the Forty Acres until June), has been “a leader by example.”

“Matthew’s not a real vocal guy,” said a team source of the former Houston Cougar. “But his actions speak loudly. He grinds.”

— It’s hard to say how excited Texas tight ends coach/special teams coordinator Jeff Banks is about Alabama transfer Amari Niblack (6-4, 233).

“Banks feels like Niblack can do a lot of the things JT [Ja'Tavion Sanders] did for the offense,” a team source told Horns247. “He runs really, really well and gets in and out of his breaks like a receiver.”

Anything to be concerned about with Mukuba?

5 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Anything to be concerned about with Mukuba?

CJ Vogel Monday notes on Mukuba...

"One of the first commits out of the portal was former Clemson DB Andrew Mukuba. The former Austin LBJ defensive back is back home where he has really fit in well with the DB room. I will dive into the mentality of the defensive back room a bit later when we start previewing spring ball, but Mukuba's business like approach to the game has trickled down.

Mukuba has been working non-stop, whether it be team-led winter conditioning, or individual sessions off of the 40 Acres. We have talked about one year rentals for guys like Bolden and Bond at WR, that is the thought process from Mukuba has well as he hopes to hear his name drafted very early in the 2025 NFL Draft."

Here's all of it...

Winter Conditioning Team Nuggets (Monday 8:20 a.m.)

By CJ Vogel        Monday at 02:30 PM

Starting today, the Longhorns will have four more weeks of winter conditioning before taking a week off for spring break then diving into the beginning of spring ball practice period.

The new additions via the portal have been getting acclimated to the day to day life as a Texas football player and most importantly, the culture of the program. I was able to speak with a source around the program over the weekend to get an idea of how the new faces are acclimating with the team so far.

Former Alabama LB Kendrick Blackshire has had a seamless transition since arriving on campus. Blackshire joins the Longhorn program which boasts several familiar faces from Blackshire's recruitment days back in the DFW area and time at Duncanville.

The speed of former Alabama WR Isaiah Bond is immediately noticeable. That should not come as a surprise, but Bond has an extra gear that has folks excited here.

Joining Bond in the wide receiving room is former UH pass catcher Matthew Golden. The former Klein Cain standout may not have that same initial burst as Bond, however Golden does possess the ability to change directions very well which has been evident thus far in workouts. Also, credit Jaydon Blue for getting Golden up to speed pretty quickly here.

I have yet to hear a whole lot about Taioalii Savea since his arrival, but will dive in a bit this week.

One of the first commits out of the portal was former Clemson DB Andrew Mukuba. The former Austin LBJ defensive back is back home where he has really fit in well with the DB room. I will dive into the mentality of the defensive back room a bit later when we start previewing spring ball, but Mukuba's business like approach to the game has trickled down.

Mukuba has been working non-stop, whether it be team-led winter conditioning, or individual sessions off of the 40 Acres. We have talked about one year rentals for guys like Bolden and Bond at WR, that is the thought process from Mukuba has well as he hopes to hear his name drafted very early in the 2025 NFL Draft.

• Hook 'Em 3

Texas hires new Assistant Director of Player Personnel for offense

Former Baylor football player Jackson Gleeson is one of the promised additions to Steve Sarkisian’s support staff.

image.png.95e181fd497c31084e7cfc2975b48ec1.png

By Wescott Eberts       Feb 20, 2024

On National Signing Day earlier in February, Texas Longhorns head coach Steve Sarkisian revealed that he planned on making several new hires to his support staff following the departure of Director of Player Personnel Billy Glasscock to the Ole Miss Rebels and several promotions from the current staff.

On Tuesday, Jackson Gleeson revealed on social media that he’s the new Assistant Director of Player Personnel on offense, a new position created  in addition to the General Manager role that Brandon Harris now holds.

A Mansfield product in the 2018 recruiting class, Gleeson was a consensus three-star wide receiver, signing with Baylor over offers from Boise State, Houston, Iowa State, Louisiana Tech, Missouri, Nebraska, North Texas, Tulsa, and UTSA. Gleeson appeared in eight games for the Bears in 2019 as a redshirt freshman, eventually graduating in 2021.

After serving as a front office intern for the Frisco RoughRiders for a year, Gleeson enrolled in the Sport Management Master’s program at Texas last fall, months after he started as a Player Personnel assistant with the football program in January.

Hope this happens... getting Chris Gilbert back would be great...

Chris Gilbert may be returning to Steve Sarkisian's Texas staff in crucial off-the-field role

Chris Gilbert's resume in football carries a bit of everything.  Now, it's set to add a significant new line: assistant general manager, University of Texas Longhorns football. (Update: Sources say Gilbert's title will be special assistant to head coach Steve Sarkisian.)

Sources tell FootballScoop that Texas and Gilbert are finalizing a deal, barring any unexpected snags, to bring Gilbert back to Austin, Texas.

He left the UT program in December 2022 in order to become an on-field assistant at North Texas, where he was the assistant head coach and tight ends coach for the Mean Green. 

Previously at Texas, Gilbert had been the very popular director of high school relations for the Longhorns -- and he understandably had flourished in that spot.  After all, Gilbert won more than 120 games as a prep coach in the Dallas Metroplex.

Gilbert served a decade atop the Lancaster program, where he took the team to record heights and exited as the school's all-time winningest coach. 

https://footballscoop.com/news/sources-texas-hiring-fbs-assistant-former-dallas-area-prep-coach-as-assistant-g-m

• Hook 'Em 1

Notes from Nalin & Vogel Yesterday morning 

• Wingo running. 22mph at his size and isn’t even in the top 3 fastest WR on team (Bond, Nibblet, Moore) 

• Livingstone already faster then Mitchell but doesn’t move as well 

• Banks is becoming a leader and looks even better

• They want Cam Williams to win the RT spot but Baker looks about as impressive as anyone and has a business like mindset 

• Campbell is up and down but is better and making strides

• Trey Moore looks good quickest on the edge , but this is without Pads. Curious to see how he looks this spring against our Tackles

• Dre Bledsoe is maybe the most athletic D-Lineman on the team but is also showing a lot of physicality 

• Sydir Mitchell is finally showing some life, hopes to be a contributor but no vying for starter snaps 

• Colin Simmons trying to adjust to the weight gain but is showing signs 

• Liona Lefau is showing major improvement alone with the size gain. With his athleticism could free up Hill in the middle. Needs to get stronger 

• Secondary will be a major strength. so many body’s, competition will bode well! Gilbeaux is finally showing life. Could play significant snaps with Barron getting snaps at Corner. 

• Kobe has been mentioned as being around Manny Muhammad and latching on to him. 

• Warren Roberson the most athletic DB on the team. Currently at Corner reminding them of Kitan Crawford. 

Edited by D3zii
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

On 2/24/2024 at 10:40 AM, D3zii said:

• Wingo running. 22mph at his size and isn’t even in the top 3 fastest WR on team (Bond, Nibblet, Moore) 

• They want Cam Williams to win the RT spot but Baker looks about as impressive as anyone and has a business like mindset 

• Trey Moore looks good quickest on the edge , but this is without Pads. Curious to see how he looks this spring against our Tackles

• Dre Bledsoe is maybe the most athletic D-Lineman on the team but is also showing a lot of physicality 

• Sydir Mitchell is finally showing some life, hopes to be a contributor but no vying for starter snaps 

• Liona Lefau is showing major improvement alone with the size gain. With his athleticism could free up Hill in the middle. Needs to get stronger 

• Secondary will be a major strength. so many body’s, competition will bode well! Gilbeaux is finally showing life. Could play significant snaps with Barron getting snaps at Corner. 

• Kobe has been mentioned as being around Manny Muhammad and latching on to him. 

• Warren Roberson the most athletic DB on the team. Currently at Corner reminding them of Kitan Crawford. 

I wonder if Baker is as good as advertised if they'd move DJ Campbell over to LG and slide Cam Williams inside and Baker outside. So something like this:

LT Banks
LG - Campbell
C - Majors 
RG - Williams/Baker
RT - Baker/Williams

On 2/24/2024 at 10:40 AM, D3zii said:

Just hook it to my veins.png

On 2/24/2024 at 9:40 AM, D3zii said:

The note on Baker is interesting, but wake me up when they are saying this after pads come on. I doubt he is going to be moving people like Cam Williams in the run game. 

My biggest concern with Simmons putting on weight that fast is losing flexibility and explosiveness. He will need to do an equal amount of work to get that back. 

Sydir Mitchell not vying for starter snaps is not gruntling. 

Lefau and Bledsoe news is very gruntling.

Roberson being compared to Crawford is lol 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Vertigo said:

The note on Baker is interesting, but wake me up when they are saying this after pads come on. I doubt he is going to be moving people like Cam Williams in the run game. 

My biggest concern with Simmons putting on weight that fast is losing flexibility and explosiveness. He will need to do an equal amount of work to get that back. 

Sydir Mitchell not vying for starter snaps is not gruntling. 

Lefau and Bledsoe news is very gruntling.

Roberson being compared to Crawford is lol 

The next 8 months is the time when guys like Sydir start to really reshape their body. Hoping he would be at that point 2 months after his freshman season is not the correct approach. Lets see how he looks in August, and then start to panic. 

Team notes from Bobby:

Spoiler

News and notes on various aspects of the team and its players. It's what we call emptying the notebook.

Jaray Bledsoe - "Looks great."

Alex January - "He's going to play this year."

Sydir Mitchell - "Improving. Body looks a little better."

The two freshman offensive linemen were singled out.

Brandon Baker is said to be an outstanding athlete and his off-field, weight-room demeanor has been similar to that of Kelvin Banks when Banks first arrived.

After the glowing about Baker finished, the source was quick to mention the professional demeanor of Daniel Cruz as well.

"Those two are keepers," the source said.

The source felt J'Mond Tapp "was coming on", specifically becoming a smarter player. He's always had the physical tools, but just needed to add good weight and play within the framework of the defense. He could be an X factor for the Texas D this year.

Anthony Hill Jr. - "He's locked in. He looks great."

Isaiah Bond - "Has some diva to him like a lot of wideouts. But he's not that way when he gets on the football field. Intentional worker."

Billy Walton - "Looks great. Really great athlete."

Tausili Akana - "A little small. Needs to add good weight. Working at SAM and edge."

Jake Majors - "Really had a good year last year. Did not go to the ground nearly as much. Have to give him credit, he's really made something of himself. You can count on him."

Tiaoalii Savea - "Better version of Trill Carter."

Team thoughts:

- Still concerned about stopping the run.

- Speed on offense is different this year.

- Need one or two interior DLs in the portal.

I'll share more as I get more...

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1