Dental costs

My mother just informed me that she needs 2 teeth replaced with a bridge.  $10k is what it will cost.  That seems a bit high to me.  Am I crazy or is that the going rate for dental work these days?  I’ve never had a cavity so I’m a little ignorant on the cost of dental care.

My mother just informed me that she needs 2 teeth replaced with a bridge.  $10k is what it will cost.  That seems a bit high to me.  Am I crazy or is that the going rate for dental work these days?  I’ve never had a cavity so I’m a little ignorant on the cost of dental care.

That’s high. Where are you?

My dear friend and former boss; his daughter is a dentist.  The daughter's husband is an ER doc. 

The daughter works 9-4, 4 days a week.  The husband works graveyard shifts and long hours, and gets covered with shit, piss, and blood on the regular.

The daughter makes more money than her husband.

Raise your kids to be dentists.

9 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

Did the guy make Jewish jokes?

48 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Google says $2500-$5000 per tooth depending on where you live and dentist you go to 

Ok.  I try to make sure my overly gullible parents don’t get ripped off.  $10k felt really high.  I guess I should’ve been a dentist.

12 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

Two teeth removed and replaced with implants would be about $6400. That is typically the best way to go. $3200/implant.

A bridge would be about $1000 per tooth or $4000. So basically, you would have a crown in front of the two missing teeth and a crown behind the two missing teeth and a permanent bridge that includes the two missing teeth.

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, Bevo said:

Two teeth removed and replaced with implants would be about $6400. That is typically the best way to go. $3200/implant.

A bridge would be about $1000 per tooth or $4000. So basically, you would have a crown in front of the two missing teeth and a crown behind the two missing teeth and a permanent bridge that includes the two missing teeth.

They can’t do implants because of bone density or some such shit.  So, she should maybe get a second opinion?

the costs are even more harsh when you consider how dental insurance works. Sure you get X-rays and cleanings for free, but it hardly helps when you need something expensive like that done.  2k/yr maximum or even lifetime maximum?  50% coverage?  It’s not like health insurance covers crowns or implants. 

45 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

They can’t do implants because of bone density or some such shit.  So, she should maybe get a second opinion?

Yeah, or send me some radiographs and if you are around take a picture of the area of missing teeth so I can see the width of the bone.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

2JAoVC.gif

Lucky SOB, I had a fun 1.5 hour root canal retreatment on Tuesday but the endodontist was a fucking pro. After insurance it was $900.

21 hours ago, Bevo said:

Yeah, or send me some radiographs and if you are around take a picture of the area of missing teeth so I can see the width of the bone.

The tooth just to the left of my two front teeth had to be removed. It’s been out since thanksgiving. My dentist convinced me that being in the front a bridge was the way to go instead of an implant because they said it would like better.  What are your thoughts on bridge vs implant?

I was shocked yesterday when I found out it was going to be $4k after my insurance covered their part. 

1 hour ago, UT_OB1 said:

The tooth just to the left of my two front teeth had to be removed. It’s been out since thanksgiving. My dentist convinced me that being in the front a bridge was the way to go instead of an implant because they said it would like better.  What are your thoughts on bridge vs implant?

I was shocked yesterday when I found out it was going to be $4k after my insurance covered their part. 

Stu!

92791BDA-7C35-41AB-AB3B-72A037B86C9B.jpeg.f77a80de730643fc916bbe7221f0fe85.jpeg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, UT_OB1 said:

That isn't true if the implant is placed well - but to make it look like it is coming out of the tissue you will need a healing abutment and a removable partial denture or a temporary coping during the 3 months that it takes for the bone to into the implant. That adds some to the cost. The problem with a bridge is that over time you will lose bone under the fake tooth. So, initially it will look good but long-term it will not. And if you don't clean well under the bridge then the two teeth supporting the fake tooth could fail at some point.

As an aside, front teeth are tricky with shade matching. Typically, you want to use a local lab that is very good at it. A lot of time dentists want to do all 6 front teeth so they look uniform because of this issue. But, a good lab can typically prevent the need to do that. The shade matching may cost a couple of hundred dollars, but it is worth it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, msbesq said:

Is it safe?

All the technology came from orthopedic surgery and has an over 30 year proven safety record in dentistry. They are made out of titanium which is the most bio-compatible metal with a contact allergy rate of about 0.5%. Given a good site and a healthy patient, the success rate is extremely high - over 99%. Smoking, diabetes, autoimmune diseases, periodontal disease, oral hygiene and surprisingly GERD decrease the success rate. The biggest risks are implant placement - on the lower jaw there are nerves that need to be avoided and on the maxilla, towards the back of the mouth, sinuses are often very low with minimal bone between the tissue and the sinus.

Single implant placement on a good site usually takes about 30 minutes of actual work. It is very quick and recovery time is minimal. It is much, much less traumatic than having a tooth extracted. Even highly anxious patients generally don't have an issue. And if that may be a problem, then an anxiolytic like Valium or nitrous oxide is used. I rarely need to do work under general anesthesia and I see special needs patients every morning.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1