Fire Rodney Terry

MuellerHorn

13 minutes ago, HookEm said:

This guy gets it.

I expect we will make the tournament just about every year and win a game more often than not.  And possibly sprinkle in a Sweet 16 or Elite 8 run when the chips fall right.  That will be better than the 10 years before RT.

But we will never win it all under him, and it is very unlikely we will make a Final Four.

This would make him one of the best coaches in program history.

I get that we want to aspire to greater things, but the framing of this is still humorous.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

This would make him one of the best coaches in program history.

Right???

Our all-time NCAA tournament record is 40-41.

RT is 4-2.  That is way above average for Texas. 

Rick Barnes is 19-16
Shaka Smart is 0-3
Beard is 1-1
Penders is 10-8

• Hook 'Em 1

I think it is entirely possible that RT will end up being the 2nd most successful coach we have ever had, in terms of what he accomplishes.  But....

That is incredibly misleading because the environment is now set up for winning in a way that hasn't existed in our entire history.  NIL, the transfer portal, an awesome new arena, the move to the SEC, favorable Texas high school talent improvements, increasingly rich alumni and media deals, etc. are all set up for us to dominate, not just win at the old rates.  If he simply holds serve, then that is a major failing in my view.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

You must have misinterpreted the scenario stated in the OP.

We hire Dan Hurley fresh off his 2018 season at Rhode Island. His first 4 seasons at Texas include two missed tournament appearances and zero wins. We are now sitting in the offseason of 2022. Yes or no, are you pissed and calling for his head? 

That's the funny thing about Hurley. He was very much on the hot seat after year 4 at UCONN when he hadn't even won a tournament game yet. 

And yes @BurntOrange&White would have been calling for Hurley to be fired if he didn't win a single NCAA tournament game in 4 years. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

We just need to be patient with RT. Rome wasn't built in a day. There are plenty of examples of hall of fame coaches who didn't exactly set the stage on fire in their first few years as head coaches. Dan Hurley was pedestrian in his first 4 years at UConn as others have pointed out. The screenshot below is the record of another HOF coach at a blueblood program. Guess who that is. Give RT 5 years to prove himself.

Screenshot_20240409_221059_Chrome.thumb.jpg.320ad6ce364ba45a2767b5dbb1ac9fce.jpg

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, HookEm said:

I think it is entirely possible that RT will end up being the 2nd most successful coach we have ever had, in terms of what he accomplishes.  But....

That is incredibly misleading because the environment is now set up for winning in a way that hasn't existed in our entire history.  NIL, the transfer portal, an awesome new arena, the move to the SEC, favorable Texas high school talent improvements, increasingly rich alumni and media deals, etc. are all set up for us to dominate, not just win at the old rates.  If he simply holds serve, then that is a major failing in my view.

Yeah, middle of the pack in your conference should not be the goal at Texas.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, UTEE97 said:

We just need to be patient with RT. Rome wasn't built in a day. There are plenty of examples of hall of fame coaches who didn't exactly set the stage on fire in their first few years as head coaches. Dan Hurley was pedestrian in his first 4 years at UConn as others have pointed out. The screenshot below is the record of another HOF coach at a blueblood program. Guess who that is. Give RT 5 years to prove himself.

Screenshot_20240409_221059_Chrome.thumb.jpg.320ad6ce364ba45a2767b5dbb1ac9fce.jpg

I will always be proud of UT for how patient the administration was with Shaka Smart. My sanity was a much lower priority, as it should be. All I could think about was how proud I was of everyone responsible for keeping him on, as I beat my head against a wall for 5 of those 6 years. 

I don't care who anyone cites, if Terry misses the tournament the next two years he shouldn't be the head coach at Texas any more. 

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, Lonestar88 said:

Even if this thing crashes and burns the way some of y’all are predicting, Terry still won’t be as bad as Shaka, he’s already cleared that low bar.

Wetlich, too, for that matter. Wetlich was even worse than Smart. What a terrible time to be a Texas basketball fan.

On 4/9/2024 at 2:34 PM, HookEm said:

This is a great point.  People truly don't understand how much Texas high school basketball and the overall infrastructure for building and developing talent has changed over the course of the last 30 years.  As a state we essentially went from Steve Jobs amd Wozniak in a garage to 2010 Apple. When it comes to high school basketball talent, the state of Texas is easily the best in the nation.  Now add in NIL, the transfer portal, Moody, and the changing paradigm of removing pro options for high school talent and we couldn't be more suited to actually win a national championship.

Within the last 10 years damn near every worthwhile university in the state sans us and A&M has found some level near their peak success in college basketball. The right coach would have us approximating  what Connecticut has accomplished over the last 25 years.   

• Hook 'Em 3

I don't think it is unreasonable to "hope" that Texas basketball can at some point return to a level like 2002 to 2008. 

Screenshot_20240410-165037_kindlephoto-17202455.png.6b9bbc5276284396f47e6589f05bd03e.png

I thought we might be on our way back to this type of program with Beard until his dumbass domestic scuffle.

RT needs to get this roster right, his staff right, and coach his ass off.  If the play and results of his team don't improve, then it's fair to criticize him and want better for Texas Basketball.  

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

I don't think it is unreasonable to "hope" that Texas basketball can at some point return to a level like 2002 to 2008. 

Screenshot_20240410-165037_kindlephoto-17202455.png.6b9bbc5276284396f47e6589f05bd03e.png

I thought we might be on our way back to this type of program with Beard until his dumbass domestic scuffle.

RT needs to get this roster right, his staff right, and coach his ass off.  If the play and results of his team don't improve, then it's fair to criticize him and want better for Texas Basketball.  

I thought that's the way it was going to be for the rest of my life for UT sports. Particularly football, men's basketball, and baseball. 

Narrator: It wasn't. 

• Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

9 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

I thought that's the way it was going to be for the rest of my life for UT sports. Particularly football, men's basketball, and baseball. 

Narrator: It wasn't. 

Yep. I started my PhD in fall 2005. Attended every football game, and most basketball games, through spring 2012.

Up until Colts injury in the natty I thought we just won all the time forever and ever. Then the next decade happened.

23 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

Yep. I started my PhD in fall 2005. Attended every football game, and most basketball games, through spring 2012.

Up until Colts injury in the natty I thought we just won all the time forever and ever. Then the next decade happened.

too soon, bro

• Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

I was a freshman in 2001. At least by my junior year, there were the clickbait articles claiming we might be best overall football + basketball + baseball school. I graduated the year we won the NC. It never occurred to me we could be less than really good. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Why do people jump on other fans that have an expectation of excellence. We are Texas, not the whole We’re Texas horseshit marketing nonsense. We are the jones and the fact that we don’t live that role  and play the heel part is beyond me. We can out-pay, out spend any university in the Nation. Why do we always take a backseat and allow for the lowest of expectations. We need to take advice from Ray Lewis, we are eagles flying with pigeons, and that is pathetic.

24 minutes ago, TejasPedro said:

Why do people jump on other fans that have an expectation of excellence. We are Texas, not the whole We’re Texas horseshit marketing nonsense. We are the jones and the fact that we don’t live that role  and play the heel part is beyond me. We can out-pay, out spend any university in the Nation. Why do we always take a backseat and allow for the lowest of expectations. We need to take advice from Ray Lewis, we are eagles flying with pigeons, and that is pathetic.

Well, if reports are to be believed, UK was prepared to pay Dan Hurley $11M annual, and there is no way in hell we'd match (much less exceed) that mark for a basketball coach.  So, it appears that we are not the Jones.  Maybe in football.

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Well, if reports are to be believed, UK was prepared to pay Dan Hurley $11M annual, and there is no way in hell we'd match (much less exceed) that mark for a basketball coach.  So, it appears that we are not the Jones.  Maybe in football.

We are not.

Hurley is not a Texas-tier candidate. 2 time champ who turned down $11m+ by Kentucky?  We are more going to be in the TJ Otzelberger, Grant McCasland, etc. type of coaches. I know the "rumor" Calipari would have jumped at a Texas offer last year, but quite obviously, he was looking for a chance to escape Kentucky.  That was not anything to do with us and more him wanting to get away from that school and that AD. 

33 minutes ago, TejasPedro said:

Arrested Development Eye Roll GIF

8 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Hurley is not a Texas-tier candidate. 2 time champ who turned down $11m+ by Kentucky?  We are more going to be in the TJ Otzelberger, Grant McCasland, etc. type of coaches. 

Agreed.  Rick Barnes was a similar hire.  Well known, respected, but not among the elite.  When the time comes to move on from RT, our AD will have his work cut out for him in identifying the right guy for the job.  Beard was a no-brainer (he appears to lack a brain).  Shaka, eh, he certainly could have done better here.

I don't think we'd ever pay more than we pay the football coach, so as it stands now, I suspect the idea of luring legends like Donovan and Wright back to the college game are non-starters.

Edited by jimmyjazz

41 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Agreed.  Rick Barnes was a similar hire.  Well known, respected, but not among the elite.  When the time comes to move on from RT, our AD will have his work cut out for him in identifying the right guy for the job.  Beard was a no-brainer (he appears to lack a brain).  Shaka, eh, he certainly could have done better here.

I don't think we'd ever pay more than we pay the football coach, so as it stands now, I suspect the idea of luring legends like Donovan and Wright back to the college game are non-starters.

Wright isn’t coming back to the college game. He’s done done. 

I know you’re just using this as an example (and this isn’t a complaint about you and if you think it is you owe me a bourbon), but I’m not sure why some of our fans are stuck on the idea that Texas can have or does have the appeal to get someone of Wright’s caliber, especially now that he’s retired and is pretty open about being done done. (Same with people who argued we could lure Painter from his alma mater because money)

Texas has the ability to offer the “future” when it comes to our job because we don’t have that much success in the tournament but we’ve shown we have the ability (and infrastructure) to get there and be a power with the right person. That, to me, doesn’t scream Hurley or anyone else leaving a blue blood, their Alma mater, or a place with more success than Texas just to come here. 

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Wright isn’t coming back to the college game. He’s done done. 

I know you’re just using this as an example (and this isn’t a complaint about you and if you think it is you owe me a bourbon), but I’m not sure why some of our fans are stuck on the idea that Texas can have or does have the appeal to get someone of Wright’s caliber, especially now that he’s retired and is pretty open about being done done. (Same with people who argued we could lure Painter from his alma mater because money)

Texas has the ability to offer the “future” when it comes to our job because we don’t have that much success in the tournament but we’ve shown we have the ability (and infrastructure) to get there and be a power with the right person. That, to me, doesn’t scream Hurley or anyone else leaving a blue blood, their Alma mater, or a place with more success than Texas just to come here. 

I agree with all of this.  The only thing that COULD affect the decision in my mind would be if we were talking about an elite coach who isn't at a Big10 or SEC school, since the future seems a little murky (but definitely involves most or all of those schools).  Hurley seems to have already dismissed that idea, but it's one data point.

I just had lunch with some folks from the UT administration yesterday. We briefly talked about UT athletics among other things (primarily helping the engineering department). They echoed what most of us already thought about RT. They said CDC had very little choice but to offer him the job but they didn't think he could be an elite coach.

3 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

They echoed what most of us already thought about RT. They said CDC had very little choice but to offer him the job but they didn't think he could be an elite coach.

It's not just that RT isn't elite -- the product he put on the floor this past season often sucked to watch.

His teams are so undisciplined and lack fundamentals and toughness.  Their effort to rebound and defend aggressively was a joke.  And almost all of Surly often complained about what the hell was RT's team doing on offense this past season.

If the product on the court doesn't improve quickly, I want RT gone after his 3rd contract year. 

• Hook 'Em 2

24 minutes ago, Pancho said:

The janitors at the PCL do not qualify as “UT administration” sir

Sassy Red Wine GIF by Married At First Sight

I don't know man, these janitors came all the way to California to meet me and couple other alumni. They also asked me to be on the board of the new incubator to foster entrepreneurship among UT engineers. 

20240412_084508.thumb.jpg.79b7be4e0c30113491bc9a9a47732278.jpg