Chendall Weaver

shadow_operative

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

Not sure about starting, it certainly wouldn't bother me, but I 100% agree he needs to be on the floor more.  The dude has a burst that is really hard to deal with.

and he’s so aggressive to the rim, which this team badly needs.our other guards settle for way too many bad shots and pull up jumpers.

27 mins. 

Been my favorite all season. Gives you everything Brock does with more athleticism and guard play. His block with 1:27 to go was sick. 

He and Mitchell are elite Big 12 role players. Max and Disu are elite Big 12 scorers. Everyone else get on board 

It is amazing that people are comparing Brock to Weaver. The two couldn't be farther apart as players.

Brock is a YMCA goon type player who puts an elbow on you constantly. He sets hard picks, and spots up for wide open 3s (because people forget about him). He is a smart player and keeps the ball moving. On defense he is active, but mainly by doing dirty work around the rim.  He is fast or athletic really at all. Like... at all.

Weaver is a live freaking wire. He has to be in the top-3 of most athletic guards I have seen at Texas. Up there with Kerwin Roach. He plays lock down defense on the perimeter with great footwork and fundamentals.  On offense, he is constantly in attack mode and wants to either dunk on you, get a layup, or get to the line. He passes up all but the most wide open 3s.

I don't see Weaver as a "glue guy" at all. He is oozes untapped potential.  And I don't worry that he is out of control.  He actually doesn't turn the ball over much. It just seems like it.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, HookEm said:

It is amazing that people are comparing Brock to Weaver. The two couldn't be farther apart as players.

Brock is a YMCA goon type player who puts an elbow on you constantly. He sets hard picks, and spots up for wide open 3s (because people forget about him). He is a smart player and keeps the ball moving. On defense he is active, but mainly by doing dirty work around the rim.  He is fast or athletic really at all. Like... at all.

Weaver is a live freaking wire. He has to be in the top-3 of most athletic guards I have seen at Texas. Up there with Kerwin Roach. He plays lock down defense on the perimeter with great footwork and fundamentals.  On offense, he is constantly in attack mode and wants to either dunk on you, get a layup, or get to the line. He passes up all but the most wide open 3s.

I don't see Weaver as a "glue guy" at all. He is oozes untapped potential.  And I don't worry that he is out of control.  He actually doesn't turn the ball over much. It just seems like it.

Weaver is a basically a glue guy for now but absolutely has the tangibles to mature into a fantastic lead player (maybe by the end of the year). He compares to Brock's role because he plays in space very well and get some of the dirty work done. And as for Brock, and despite lacking athleticism, he is smart player overall and knows the game. He should at this point anyway. I've seen a lot of smart gritty players bump up the plus/minus without the need to drive past people to the hoop or jumping out of the gym. Brock generated some decent offense last year and that has regressed. Hopefully he finds his shot and confidence in that part of his game. 

• Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

despite the loss, Weaver was awesome tonight. i do like him coming off the bench, but he still needs more minutes. we need his specific play style and skill set to be on the floor a lot more than it has been.

Screw that. We aren’t good enough to groom a 6th man. He’s in our top 5 and should start. Will help his development for next season 

IMG_7640.thumb.jpeg.063409336284b941f1bed173c70728c0.jpeg

what a player this guy is. limitless energy, high iq, crazy athleticism, and a really nice shot. abmas was obviously a great addition through the portal. but weaver will end up being the gem of his transfer class. he’s going to leave a major imprint on this program. so glad that he’s a Longhorn.

• Hook 'Em 7

He gets no respect from the officials driving to the rim. He should easily average 5+ FTs a game with his ability to get into the paint and elevate to the rim. He was smacked twice on drives to the basket and didn't get a call either time.

• Hook 'Em 3

• 4 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Wish he could shoot.  Then we'd really have something 

he shows positive signs of developing a good jump shot. his FT form is really nice, i think that with a good offseason and more game reps next year he’ll be a reliable shooter by conference play. 

• Hook 'Em 2

• 3 weeks later...

Man this dude balled out yesterday.  Has me wondering about his maximum upside.  At 6-3, he has NBA point guard size.  And he definitely has enough athleticism to play at that level.  

Most of his efficiency stats are up this year, despite playing better competition.  Last year he was a 40% shooter from 3 on reasonable volume.  In conference last year, he shot 45% from 3 on 2.7 attempts per game.

I think the game will slow down for him over the next year and he is going to be really, really good.  

image.thumb.png.a94ee7b14116eb27e34e5d49b2f9faab.png

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Man this dude balled out yesterday.  Has me wondering about his maximum upside.  At 6-3, he has NBA point guard size.  And he definitely has enough athleticism to play at that level.  

Most of his efficiency stats are up this year, despite playing better competition.  Last year he was a 40% shooter from 3 on reasonable volume.  In conference last year, he shot 45% from 3 on 2.7 attempts per game.

I think the game will slow down for him over the next year and he is going to be really, really good.  

image.thumb.png.a94ee7b14116eb27e34e5d49b2f9faab.png

He PER40 stats are all better this year than last year. I think he needs a little bit of physical development, like 5-10 pounds of muscle. I think he's going to at least double his scoring average next year, when he's the veteran guard on the team.

Posted (edited)

He needs to improve his handle and perhaps his composure on the offensive end. He gets ahead of himself at times, but if anyone remembers Russell Westbrook at UCLA, Weaver reminds me a lot of him.  Just a spaz of loosely controlled energy, especially during Westbrook's freshman season. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

Yes, I agree. I think Westbrook is his best comp.  He is going to be unstoppable if he can add 10-15 pounds of muscle, gets more confident with his 3-ball and gets his free throws up into the mid 80s.

1 hour ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

but if anyone remembers Russell Westbrook at UCLA, Weaver reminds me a lot of him.  Just a spaz of loosely controlled energy, especially during Westbrook's freshman season. 

That comparison hadn't occurred to me, but now that you mention it, I think you have a point.  Man, if Weaver had THAT upside . . .

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

That comparison hadn't occurred to me, but now that you mention it, I think you have a point.  Man, if Weaver had THAT upside . . .

I remember being shocked that Westbrook was so highly sought after by the NBA. His skillset at the time he was drafted was similar to what we see from Weaver. He was basically a slasher who barely handled the ball outside of wheeling in from the wings.  Darren Collinson and even Josh Ship were their main ball handlers that year. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn