'One Love' - Bob Marley Biopic

JohnnyRage

SIAP, searched and skimmed 5 pages

Bob Marley is one of the biggest cultural influences in my life and I don't qualify that with 'musical'. What some persons accomplish in such a short life span is truly embarrassing to me, but I am truly grateful for his message, for Reggae, for The Wailers...I could go on.

Musical Biopics often don't take many chances of exposing fractures in the historical and commercial narrative. Fingers crossed.

Premiered in Jamaica, opens Valentines Day.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Looking forward to this one. Saw my first preview for this one before M:I last summer and let out an audible "fuck, yeah" and my wife punched me in the arm. Really hoping it doesn't suck.

• Hook 'Em 2

Knew nothing about this before watching Colbert. I wasn't deep into Marley, but if one of his songs was playing I enjoyed it. Just cool vibes. Inspired me to visit Jamaica.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Don Johnson said:

Has a TV movie feel to it, IMO.

I agree. Not sure how I feel about it. I liked Kingsley in the few roles I’ve seen him in, he played Obama in The Comey Rule. I get him confused sometimes with Rege-Jean Page.  

1 hour ago, Brandywine said:

I agree. Not sure how I feel about it. I liked Kingsley in the few roles I’ve seen him in, he played Obama in The Comey Rule. I get him confused sometimes with Rege-Jean Page.  

I get him confused with Ben Kingsley.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I thought the trailer was awesome, but I sort of do get the worry that the cinematography of some of the indoor and smaller sets have a lower budget staged feel. But there also seems to be a lot of outdoor wider crowd shots especially shot on location in Jamaica.

Fingers Crossed.

On 1/25/2024 at 1:45 PM, South Austin said:

Same. 

I'm surprised for a guy like Bob Marley that they didn't find a higher profile actor and director/producer/screenwriter to take on this project much earlier than this.

I'm trying to avoid media, but this came up on a reel.

My rant. Bob gets all the press, but his band was loaded with talent. Peter Tosh, Neville Livingston. Aston Barrett, Earl Lindo. Going to a Bob Marley show in the 60’s was an out of body experience compared to the typical rock and roll concert. 

As a true follower of the genre from its beginnings from who worked with Marley like Desmond Dekker. Marley was great, he should get all the credit for commercializing Reggae. But, I always felt “The Bush doctor” Tosh had the highest ceiling. Especially once he signed with Rolling Stones records. But his ass went fucking crazy and burned it to the ground. 

13 hours ago, 59 Burst said:

My rant. Bob gets all the press, but his band was loaded with talent. Peter Tosh, Neville Livingston. Aston Barrett, Earl Lindo. Going to a Bob Marley show in the 60’s was an out of body experience compared to the typical rock and roll concert. 

As a true follower of the genre from its beginnings from who worked with Marley like Desmond Dekker. Marley was great, he should get all the credit for commercializing Reggae. But, I always felt “The Bush doctor” Tosh had the highest ceiling. Especially once he signed with Rolling Stones records. But his ass went fucking crazy and burned it to the ground. 

Let's f'ing go

If the ember of a song is an obvious vocal usage, then cut to the studio production followed by a short celebratory montage of onto the next bigger plane, that's what makes some biopics suck.

I canceled some Valentines Day primo Alamo Draft House seats, but for other reasons.

Two Biopics that didn't suck - The Doors, and Rocketman

• Hook 'Em 1

57 minutes ago, JohnnyRage said:

If the ember of a song is an obvious vocal usage, then cut to the studio production followed by a short celebratory montage of onto the next bigger plane, that's what makes some biopics suck.

I canceled some Valentines Day primo Alamo Draft House seats, but for other reasons.

Walk Hard basically buried this type of biopic forever. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/11/2024 at 10:28 AM, JohnnyRage said:

Huh.  I'd never see a Doors biopic, they sucked ass, as did Rocketman.

Saw Marley today, and was pleasantly surprised.  6/10.  Lashana Lynch was particularly good as Rita Marley.  Nothing struck me as nearly so bad as reviews would indicate.

• 1 month later...