Texas (+4.5) vs Houston- 8pm on ESPN

shadow_operative

Just now, SL Xpress said:

There is no assistant hire that's going to fix this program. And by fix, I mean put it in a place where it's competing for national championships. I don't actually think we'll be competing for Sweet 16s, and that should be the minimum. 

That said, I thought Terry was about to completely lose the team. He didn't. That speaks well of him, even if he's still not good enough to be the long term coach at Texas, IMO. 

I’m not disagreeing but Haith is responsible for the offense which I think is just shit-tastic. 

I think a lot of the team energy here lately has come from having Weaver on the court more. That kid is a Tasmanian devil. Doesn't always make the play, but he makes some great ones and keeps going all out. Maybe it's rubbing off a little. 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, CTC2 said:

I’m not disagreeing but Haith is responsible for the offense which I think is just shit-tastic. 

The offense would be shit-tastic regardless. Terry is responsible for the overall direction of the program, and he is inadequate to the task. Hiring another assistant would be putting a bandaid on the issue. 

Honestly, I can handle having a shit-tastic offense if the defensive identity is there. It's not. 

But I'm trying not to dwell on that right now. I want to dwell on the fact I gave up on this team this year, while Terry and the players did not at all. It's an underestimation on my part regarding Terry's ability to lead this team, and I just want to acknowledge it. I can't say I've changed my mind about the man, but I can say I underestimated him, at least this season.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

The trick now is for texas to bring that intensity and effort to every game.   Don’t wait to get punched in the mouth, start punching.  

It will be a struggle to win games, but thats the only way to play with this team. 

8 hours ago, CTC2 said:

FG%, 3point%, AdjO, offensive rebound % and offensive efficiency all currently rank better than last years team. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

FG%, 3point%, AdjO, offensive rebound % and offensive efficiency all currently rank better than last years team. 

So what?  If you are really going to make the suggestion that this is better than I can’t argue with delusion. 

6 minutes ago, CTC2 said:

So what?  If you are really going to make the suggestion that this is better than I can’t argue with delusion. 

Sorry. Didn’t mean to point that we put the ball in the basket at a more efficient rate than last years team. I’ll go back to watching videos of people throwing darts at a picture of Haith.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

That's what you get for posting facts, not feelings.

It’s like last night when I read that rebounding is all about heart and effort. If that’s the case then why is our offensive rebounding and total rebounding significantly better than last year in pretty much every metric?

Frustrstion leads to some wild takes. Like complaining about offense and rebounding when this team goes through stretches where they couldn’t stop a cold.

Ok. Thanks for explaining. I was totally wrong. We are so much better. Can’t believe I missed that.  Upon further review situationally our offense is so much better than last year. 
Sorry for offending you. 

45 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I bet our free throws are way worse because this team doesnt pound the rock. They are soft and settle for outside shots and get outcompeted. Let's see if they can build on last night's performance. 

1 minute ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

I bet our free throws are way worse because this team doesnt pound the rock. They are soft and settle for outside shots and get outcompeted. Let's see if they can build on last night's performance. 

Last year was 18.4 attempts per game. This year attempting 17.7 per game.

74.8% last year. 73.3% so far this year.

38 minutes ago, CTC2 said:

The offense could use more identity but it has gotten better as the season has gone on and isn’t particularly bad. We have figured out some things on using Abmas more effectively and it’s certainly helping. 
I’ll never understand blaming an assistant coach in college basketball. They are largely irrelevant to the overall success and they only get called out when things don’t go well. 
It’s not like an offensive coordinator in football, he’s not calling plays.

1 hour ago, hobbes2702 said:

The offense could use more identity but it has gotten better as the season has gone on and isn’t particularly bad. We have figured out some things on using Abmas more effectively and it’s certainly helping. 
I’ll never understand blaming an assistant coach in college basketball. They are largely irrelevant to the overall success and they only get called out when things don’t go well. 
It’s not like an offensive coordinator in football, he’s not calling plays.

It’s the Defense. Soft in the paint, soft on the perimeter. That is what is ultimately holding the team back. 

Weaver needs to start, he is our best defensive guard and will help set the tone/intensity. Horton is a bench Jag who maybe gets hot. He brings nothing else to the table. 

His one great game against his old team does not warrant a permanent position in the starting 5. 

*Carr, Timmy and Rice were excellent at getting to the line in pressure situations”

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

It’s the Defense. Soft in the paint, soft on the perimeter. That is what is ultimately holding the team back. 

This. 

We scored 65 on UH in regulation.  UH has held 5 of their 8 Big 12 opponents to under 57 points. 

But our defense isn’t good. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Weaver has played starter-level minutes in the last 3 games (28, 25, 26).

I am about as anti-Horton as one can be but it's obvious at this point that he will have to play 15 minutes a night. Need to figure out if those minutes are best served as a starter or as a 6th man where he was awful earlier in the season.

Edited by Hookem2147

It’s clearly the defense, that isn’t even debatable. 

What team was it that was doing all those backcuts on us to get easy ass layups and we really never adjusted? (Or did I just make that up from a lack of sleep)

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Pancho said:

It’s clearly the defense, that isn’t even debatable. 

What team was it that was doing all those backcuts on us to get easy ass layups and we really never adjusted? (Or did I just make that up from a lack of sleep)

BYU.   He finally did adjust and told the screeners man to lag back but not till late in second half.

I am about as anti-Horton as one can be but it's obvious at this point that he will have to play 15 minutes a night. Need to figure out if those minutes are best served as a starter or as a 6th man where he was awful earlier in the season.

I’m fine with Horton as long as he’s taking minutes away from Brock in some way
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

I say we go full Mike D’Antoni and play six guys the whole game. Screw Horton and Brock

• Like 1

Makes you wonder why Onyema didn’t get used to see if he be better matchup.  If his size is not used in a game like this what’s his role?

Onyema just isn't as relentless as he should be. If he gave the same effort on the glass as some of the bigs from UH and UCF, he would be a critical part of the rotation.