Top Chef - Wisconsin

Biff Tannen

Weird to type that out, but here we are.  Two Austinites in the cast.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/entertainment/dining/2024/02/07/top-chef-wisconsin-milwaukee-chef-dan-jacobs-airs-in-march/72503043007/

Here is the full cast list for Season 21 of "Top Chef":

Kaleena Bliss - Chicago, IL

Kevin D’Andrea - Austin, TX

Alisha Elenz - Chicago, IL

Danny Garcia - New York, NY

Valentine Howell Jr. - Boston, MA

Dan Jacobs - Milwaukee, WI

Manny Barella Lopez - Denver, CO

Savannah Miller - Durham, NC

David Murphy - San Francisco, CA

Kenny Nguyen - Athens, GA

Laura Ozyilmaz - San Francisco, CA

Charly Pierre - New Orleans, LA

Amanda Turner - Austin, TX

Rasika Venkatesa - San Francisco, CA

Michelle Wallace - Houston, TX

On 2/7/2024 at 8:25 PM, TonyTexas said:

I’m going to miss Padma. 

It's definitely going to be different, not sure Kristen Kish can pull off snarky quite like Padma, but I think she'll be good.

That said, as a straight male, I'm going to miss lusting after Padma.

6 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

It's definitely going to be different, not sure Kristen Kish can pull off snarky quite like Padma, but I think she'll be good.

As long as I still have Gail's comfort pillows I shall endure.

• Like 1
  • Drool 2

I believe Kish is Tom’s heir apparent when he leaves, and they bring in another to be the host.

Glad immunity is gone. Here’s your truckload of Mountain Dew and PopTarts for winning the quickfire.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

One week heads up.

When: Season 21 premieres March 20 at 8 p.m. on Bravo, available the next day on Peacock.

Added value: This season's episodes will be supersized at 75 minutes. There are two digital companion series, too: "The Dish With Kish" and "Top Chef: Last Chance Kitchen" will air on bravotv.com.

The show seems revitalized without Padma’s boredom with the whole thing. I like Kish and think her being a chef, a winner in the show, brings a great foil to Tom and a great perspective.

I think I like the new rules; we’ll see as the show progresses. I liked the initial challenge as a great test and they got rid of the right guy. And they held the line on the dude that failed to finish his dish. Padma would often advocate for folks that didn’t finish if she liked the dish or chef.

• Hook 'Em 1

I like the addition of Kish. Her style is so pleasant. I’m not big on change so I miss Padma but I do like Kish a lot. I won’t like the show if Tom leaves however. Also, I love Gail but that overall looking onesie thing she had on at the beginning not good look. I love the new rules. I really like Michelle the BBQ pit master contestant. Excited about this season. It’s not going to be stale. 

Am I the only one who likes the weird Matrix type music right before the Judges Table elimination? I just dig it. It’s my theme music under pressure while cooking stuff at home. 

• Like 1

I think everyone reacts to the pressure and being on the clock differently. Everyone thinks they know how it’s going to be, but you can’t prepare for actually being in it. Even great chefs don’t always thrive in those conditions. I honestly feel bad for every person that goes out at any point in this competition. It’s the hardest thing most of them will do in their careers. 

I think David knew he wasn’t handling it well and his anxiety about it really got to him.  I also think you can adapt once you get a couple of challenges deep, but someone has to go out first. 

2 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Kristin will be great - it needed a shakeup and she can let Tom be more surly. 

I wanted to punch that David dude in the face. Anytime he was on screen my BP rose. Good riddance. 

Worst contestant ever.  Made excuses left and right. Didn’t know what he was cooking.  Fucked up his first dish bad

Kristin will be great - it needed a shakeup and she can let Tom be more surly. 
I wanted to punch that David dude in the face. Anytime he was on screen my BP rose. Good riddance. 

He got on the show because some producer read about him being a “food waste” chef. I’m all for reducing the amount of good food being thrown away by restaurants and grocers but I’m not going to pay $50 a plate for that dickhead to make me a slimy salad and nearly turned rotten meat.

6 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Well, that was quite gimmicky. No one gives a shit what you can make with Corn Nuts.

Cave was pretty cool though. 

On to the next. 

They always do some stupid shit like this. Elevated bar snacks is super lame.

They really stretched the hype on Miller, the champagne of bottle beer. But you take your sponsor money where you can.

At the dinner they were drinking it out of old timey champagne glasses. Those aren’t right for beer or for champagne.

If you watch closely it appears the levels of the Miller bottles remains the same thru all those courses and dishes. Only the comedian and Joe Flamm were drinking it. It always tasted soapy to me. In high school girls loved those Miller ponies. They usually puked before they got drunk enough to fool around.

• Haha 1

On 3/28/2024 at 1:13 PM, Texzilla588 said:

They really stretched the hype on Miller, the champagne of bottle beer. But you take your sponsor money where you can.

At the dinner they were drinking it out of old timey champagne glasses. Those aren’t right for beer or for champagne.

If you watch closely it appears the levels of the Miller bottles remains the same thru all those courses and dishes. Only the comedian and Joe Flamm were drinking it. It always tasted soapy to me. In high school girls loved those Miller ponies. They usually puked before they got drunk enough to fool around.

I used to drink the High Life back in grad school because it was all I could afford. 

It's basically becoming my wealth barometer...if I ever have drink another it means my life has taken a horrific turn for the worse.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, DixonHur said:

I used to drink the High Life back in grad school because it was all I could afford. 

It's basically becoming my wealth barometer...if I ever have drink another it means my life has taken a horrific turn for the worse.

Hole in the wall used to have them for 1.50

I understand drinking cheap, but there was always better options back in college.m than a fucking miller. Old Milwaukee was actually good, or you could get Jax or Falstaff, which were putrid but .99 a six pack. My old man splurged on Heileman Old Style which was $1.99 a sixer. It was like a hops soup, blechh.

7 hours ago, Texzilla588 said:

I understand drinking cheap, but there was always better options back in college.m than a fucking miller. Old Milwaukee was actually good, or you could get Jax or Falstaff, which were putrid but .99 a six pack. My old man splurged on Heileman Old Style which was $1.99 a sixer. It was like a hops soup, blechh.

Yep, in retrospect, Old Milwaukee would have been a better choice.

s-l1600.jpg

I was really expecting David to be really terrible by reading the comments but he was not even close being in the top ten of dickheads to ever be on the show.  I mean he wasn’t great but y'all must have just hated the cowboy hipster look.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Good episode I thought.  I think the wrong person went home. Have to think they didn’t have any type of refrigeration on a cheese challenge on purpose to make it harder.

Gail is sadly looking older. Dammit. 

Good episode I thought.  I think the wrong person went home. Have to think they didn’t have any type of refrigeration on a cheese challenge on purpose to make it harder.

Gail is sadly looking older. Dammit. 

Another instance of shitty judging and the influence by Tom. Based on that single dish it should have been cheese curds dude. Shitty dish and indifferent use of the ingredient. He has no game outside of Mexican food and simply chose not to play. But Tom likes and they let his previous dishes influence them, again.

Gail isn’t having to compete with Padma now.

2 hours ago, kevwun said:

Crab salad dude violated one of the main rules of Italian cuisine, never combine cheese and seafood.  Tom was probably offended to his core.

Plus it was soggy and no one could taste the cheese. 

Posted (edited)

Top Chef is the one show that I seldom question the judges opinion. It’s pretty much impossible to validly judge a dish without tasting it. The exception being the rare challenge where taste isn’t the goal like plating and presentation challenges. 

Edited by TonyTexas