Texas Baseball Recruiting Thread

The catch is he’s probably a walk-on.

a) why is he announcing his next destination in the middle of the season? Only reasons I can think of is the Ivy League does not do athletic scholarships or perhaps Penn doesn’t let guys stay for a covid year. If he’s not getting athletic money now then he probably isn’t at his next school.

b) he’s from Austin and from a scroll through twitter seems to be a diehard Texas fan.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I just haven’t been able to follow baseball recruiting and transfers like football and bball. How is Pierce doing so far in shoring up the roster?

Good start on pitching. Need to land some hitters. There's apparently an SHSU kid we have a good shot with.

• Hook 'Em 2

33 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Outgoing - what's the story here?

Never was able to replicate his freshman season. Good kid and teammate but it was time for a change of scenery. Best of luck to him. 

• Hook 'Em 2

32 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I just haven’t been able to follow baseball recruiting and transfers like football and bball. How is Pierce doing so far in shoring up the roster?

4 minutes ago, Levi said:

Never was able to replicate his freshman season. Good kid and teammate but it was time for a change of scenery. Best of luck to him. 

Yep, what Levi said. Two subpar/bad seasons at the plate and Daly isn't elite in any other tool category to offset the deficit in production on offense.

One of the basic rules of sports applied to his situation: if there is an equally productive younger player with more potential, you give that player more PT. We'll see where Flores ends up, but Daly was given two seasons to get it together and he didn't, unfortunately. 

• Hook 'Em 1

One of the basic rules of sports applied to his situation: if there is an equally productive younger player with more potential, you give that player more PT. We'll see where Flores ends up, but Daly was given two seasons to get it together and he didn't, unfortunately. 

Too simplistic. I’m talking in general terms and not specific to Daly/Flores. With NIL, that should give pause to the younger guy because there is no guarantee that they’ll stay 3-4 years. The truth of the matter is equally productive will very rarely be the case because it is not only about the numbers. The veteran will more often do the little things that won’t show up on any stat sheet but that are important in the bigger picture. Not always but that’s a benefit of maturity that comes with experience.

Daly likely would have been a backup next year had he stuck around.  He’s not a good defensive SS and has not been able to hit the past two years.  He wanted a guaranteed starting spot, can’t blame him, for his final year of college baseball.  He’s an absolutely terrific teammate and person that I wish the best of luck to next year and in life.  

18 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Too simplistic. I’m talking in general terms and not specific to Daly/Flores. With NIL, that should give pause to the younger guy because there is no guarantee that they’ll stay 3-4 years. The truth of the matter is equally productive will very rarely be the case because it is not only about the numbers. The veteran will more often do the little things that won’t show up on any stat sheet but that are important in the bigger picture. Not always but that’s a benefit of maturity that comes with experience.

Watching you stan for Daly has been tiring. You’re overthinking his value, and. not by a little. If he were adding as much intangible value as you think, Pierce wouldn’t have had the conversation with him that he had. The reality is that, as a starter, Daly was easily under replacement value. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 6/23/2023 at 12:15 PM, MuellerHorn said:

Yep, what Levi said. Two subpar/bad seasons at the plate and Daly isn't elite in any other tool category to offset the deficit in production on offense.

Texas is also clearly after a middle infielder in the portal. And there are a lot of really good ones. Definitely upgrades over Daly. 

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

The coaching/pitching side was good - top ten national ERA doesn't suck - but sounds like he was a recruiting non-entity.

Very bad recruite, DP tried to fire Rodriguez too..but got told to fuck off.....common denominator folks

9 minutes ago, RollingPresidential said:

I know jack shit about baseball but how is Pierce such a chaos agent and yet the team has gone to Omaha 3x in 6 years and almost made it this year with what most thought was a down roster?

Coaching and managing people are too different things. You ever know a badass employee that got promoted to manager and sucked at that role? Happens all of the time. Pierce ain't that bad, but he's apparently a hard-driving guy and that takes a toll on the staff, especially pitching coaches.

• Hook 'Em 2

Watching you stan for Daly has been tiring. You’re overthinking his value, and. not by a little. If he were adding as much intangible value as you think, Pierce wouldn’t have had the conversation with him that he had. The reality is that, as a starter, Daly was easily under replacement value. 

I was debating the assertion that equally productive younger guys deserve the nod over older guys simply because they’re younger. That’s a different discussion if you’re talking a 30 year old dude on his last leg/younger guy as compared to a 19 year old/21 year old.

I have no doubt that Dalys move was based at least in part on discussions with Pierce. I’d speculate his mind was made up before that discussion. There should have been no guarantees of playing time for Daly. It also wouldn’t be surprising of discussions of more competition coming. So Daly chose and I’d assume Pierce was ok with that. Truth is there are better statistical options than Daly and Flores to be found. We’re hopeful Flores hits some of that potential, but there’s little proof there at this time.