Yes: Pools are worth it....

45 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Mine just flips back and forth between spa and pool on 30 minute intervals unless I lock it.  It worked fine in the 2021 freeze. Not sure what happened this time.  Regardless, it seems to have done ok after I thawed it out Sunday afternoon.   But the bigger question - what is the downside to just draining all equipment and draining pool below the tile line when you have an event like this forecasted?

I don't know.  I would be worried about tiles popping off.  

I can't do it anyway because my equipment is lower than my pool.  It would drain all the water to dry out the pumps and pipes

41 minutes ago, Elvis said:

My freeze guard failed this time.  All pumps and pipes and valves frozen.  I put it in standby/service mode to let it thaw.  Awesome.

If not frozen too long trying pouring hot water into the pump.   I'm not sure when things froze for me but I was able to bring mine back after a couple of cycles of hot water.   If that didn't work, I was just going to shut power off to the pool equipment and pull drain plugs and hope for the best as it thawed.

My kid threw water gun in the pool which the skimmer sucked up and caused pump to shutoff since it was sucking air . Luckily
I noticed it early enough cleared it out and got pump running. Smashed up the ice with a 9iron and sun took care of the rest . Fucking kids .a37746d110cf508dcf04b529c1a61ca2.jpg
b1557daaeb78b0c97354dbd1c3adc7d8.jpg

How do you find the size overall?

I’m in the extreme early stages, but have been looking in the 12x24 neighborhood. Max would be 15x30, but that’s pushing it for the application I think.

Enough to swim around in, don’t need to hold a swim meet.

That’s just what’s in my head though. Reality may be a stark difference. 

How do you find the size overall?
I’m in the extreme early stages, but have been looking in the 12x24 neighborhood. Max would be 15x30, but that’s pushing it for the application I think.
Enough to swim around in, don’t need to hold a swim meet.
That’s just what’s in my head though. Reality may be a stark difference. 

The pool companies price them by the perimeter measurement, I think mine was 450 or so. Traditionally pool is probably 30x12 size . I’d consider mine a medium size pool , would have gone bigger but was constrained by the easement . But I still think mine is plenty big enough for what we use it for . Get a hot tub , we tend to us that as much if not more than the pool. We did a raised hot tub which did cost more but it’s easier to get in and out of and looks better IMO.

Last house we had a bigger pool but no hot tub and regretted it .
  • Hook 'Em 1

I’m in a pickle… trying to keep my pump running 24/7 but the water level has fallen below the skimmers. I can’t run any water to the pool bc the pipe broke. So the pump can only draw from the main drains and it only draws some partial water so 50% water and 50% air or some mixture. Would like to turn the pump off since the water is low, but don’t want things to freeze. Would like to add water so the pump isn’t half full of air, but pipe burst….

57 minutes ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

I’m in a pickle… trying to keep my pump running 24/7 but the water level has fallen below the skimmers. I can’t run any water to the pool bc the pipe broke. So the pump can only draw from the main drains and it only draws some partial water so 50% water and 50% air or some mixture. Would like to turn the pump off since the water is low, but don’t want things to freeze. Would like to add water so the pump isn’t half full of air, but pipe burst….

Can you adjust the drain valves to only draw from the main?

problem is that it risks the skimmer freezing and cracking the housing. 

Can you run a water hose to the pool and add water?
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Quagmire said:

The pool companies price them by the perimeter measurement, I think mine was 450 or so. Traditionally pool is probably 30x12 size . I’d consider mine a medium size pool , would have gone bigger but was constrained by the easement . But I still think mine is plenty big enough for what we use it for . Get a hot tub , we tend to us that as much if not more than the pool. We did a raised hot tub which did cost more but it’s easier to get in and out of and looks better IMO.

Last house we had a bigger pool but no hot tub and regretted it .

Good stuff.

I'm currently looking at fiberglass options across several manufacturers. I agree on the hot tub, and a few options have an integrated spa. I'm not sure what the price difference would be between that and one without the built-in, and adding it as an option.

I've considered gunite, but not sure I want to deal with replastering. The fiberglass finish should outlast me, so good enough.

Pool is going to be indoors. I'm planning on building a shop house, or whatever you want to call it. Metal building, so will seal off an area for a pool room. No idea if I'll put in sky lights, or clear roof of some sort. Haven't really got that far into it, I'm in more of a discovery/research phase, and not going to be building for 5-7 years. So specific pricing is kind of pointless, but price differences are a little more helpful. I am guessing that the pool/install price shouldn't be any different, aside from the additional hvac equipment to keep it from smelling like the YMCA.

3 hours ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

Can you run a hose from your washer valve?

• Like 1

Can you run a water hose to the pool and add water?

Normally yes, but the pipe connecting the back yard spigot to the water line broke today when temps got above freezing. Also, the hose was full of frozen water the last time I checked. Tomorrow for better or worse, I should get some water in there
Can you run a hose from your washer valve?

Maybe, hadn’t thought of that

I was good as of yesterday. Just gotta get past this weekend but should be okay….
FYI I covered my equipment with a tarp then concrete curing blankets then another tarp. Hardest part is using enough bricks to weigh it all down cause of the high winds. Next time I may try an ice fishing tent and maybe an electric concrete curing blanket (just learned they made these, wtf).

17 minutes ago, williemackgarza said:

I was good as of yesterday. Just gotta get past this weekend but should be okay….
FYI I covered my equipment with a tarp then concrete curing blankets then another tarp. Hardest part is using enough bricks to weigh it all down cause of the high winds. Next time I may try an ice fishing tent and maybe an electric concrete curing blanket (just learned they made these, wtf).

other options: Pipe Heat Cables https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B34PPBXS?th=1

Still an issue if you lose power

On 1/15/2024 at 12:26 PM, freyguy said:

So far so good.  Had some repair work done on it by the original builder last week.  Fixed some cracks, replaced 3 lights, drained and refilled the pool.  Now 2 lights aren't working properly....ugh.

Pool builder will allegedly come out tomorrow to look at the lights.

Made it thru the freeze unscathed, which makes me very happy.  I've also tossed my pressure side cleaner (LS Racer).  Umbilical cord was too stiff (6 yrs old), causing tangles.  And everywhere I look, they want $300 for a replacement.  Pentair is such a racket.  Can't find the raw hose either so I could just rebuild it myself.

I've instead picked up a Betta solar floating skimmer, and ordered a Maytronics M600 robot ($799 from robotpoolscleaners.  Hope that site is legit).  Hopefully it arrives this week...I will say researching for robots completely sucks.  Too many mixed reviews, way too many makes & models, and price variation is all over the place...

20240118_173121.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/21/2024 at 11:16 AM, freyguy said:

Pool builder will allegedly come out tomorrow to look at the lights.

Made it thru the freeze unscathed, which makes me very happy.  I've also tossed my pressure side cleaner (LS Racer).  Umbilical cord was too stiff (6 yrs old), causing tangles.  And everywhere I look, they want $300 for a replacement.  Pentair is such a racket.  Can't find the raw hose either so I could just rebuild it myself.

I've instead picked up a Betta solar floating skimmer, and ordered a Maytronics M600 robot ($799 from robotpoolscleaners.  Hope that site is legit).  Hopefully it arrives this week...I will say researching for robots completely sucks.  Too many mixed reviews, way too many makes & models, and price variation is all over the place...

20240118_173121.jpg

Yep, that site was a scam.  Good thing I paid with credit card so I could block the transaction. 

Got a contact to get me an M600 a different way, delivered yesterday.  Already ran it twice and have been very impressed with all it can pick up.

On 2/4/2024 at 8:57 AM, freyguy said:

Yep, that site was a scam.  Good thing I paid with credit card so I could block the transaction. 

Got a contact to get me an M600 a different way, delivered yesterday.  Already ran it twice and have been very impressed with all it can pick up.

I'll look forward to an end of season review on this. Been looking at it for my next one... I've got a Dolphin Premier and it clean great, but I hate... hate the filter cleaning aspect of it.  The 600 with the top pull looks great in this regard.  My Hayward AquaVac6 cleaner when it worked was awesome and had the easiest filter cleaning push and clean design, could empty and put back in less than 10 seconds, but it didn't last buy like a year (had 2 under warranty, each one died quickly of different ailments)

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, GottaB said:

My dolphin is powering on but not moving much. What’s the usual cause and solution to this. It’s only 2 years old.

Only time it happened to me, some debris had gotten into the impeller. I had to use screwdriver to pull off cover and remove. You could see it though from top looking in as blades weren't turning.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally spent the money on a new pump and installed it tonight. The old one has been loud as hell since we bought this house, but kept running so I tried to ignore it. The new one is night and day difference in sound. Will be nice to be outside and not hear that bullshit anymore.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, jeevsie said:

Here comes the damn pollen. Nice film on the pool surface when I got home yesterday 

I’ll trade for the million live oak leaves I scoop out daily.    That corner shades so f’n good in July though.   Ugh. 

• Hook 'Em 1

My POS Penteir Master Temp 400 pool heater is fucking up.
Hadnt used it all winter until trying 2 weeks ago. Not used the spa since Nov. Water temp 65 and set it for 82. No issues since new in 3 years. Fired it up and business as usual with that crazy jet engine roar. About 15 mins in it starts cycling thru on then back to off repeatedly every 2-3 minutes. When it would turn off the “ service heater” light would turn solid red. Light would go off and heater would begin to fire up like normal. Called pool tech and he came by and said the heater checked okay but my issue is probably my house atmos gas pressure at the heater, said:
(Max inlet was around 9”wc and when the heater fired it dropped down to 3.75”wc Max should be around 12-14 and drop down to no less than 4” wc)
Pool guy says to call gas company to request larger meter. Our house is on ATMOS gas and was built in 1990 and he says the meter is on the smaller side.
But if gas company comes out and pressure test house and finds leaks they wont hook up new meter to house until all leaks are found. Gas to furnace and water heater only.

Plumber says he will run by and check pressure of line and check house side for leaks. Plumber says its odd that heater has worked all along and now shit the bed due to low pressure. Thinks its probably the heater. But he doesnt work on pool heaters.
I dont know shit about fuck but I agree with the plumbers opinion.
Tech guy does a ton of pentair stuff and has swapped alot of equipment thru pentair warranty.

Will see this week.

Anyone ever encounter this?

Have you put eyes on the thermocouple in the exhaust?  Mice/rats like to live in the heater housing, and will gnaw on wires.  If those wires are broken, the heater will abort during startup, as it thinks the gas has not ignited.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jofus said:

Any recs for in-pool loungers or chairs for a sun deck?

Any other pool furniture recs?

Get the plastic Adirondack chairs from lowes and replace them when they go bad.  Ours on on their 3rd year and looking great.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Well, I’ve been avoiding this thread for almost three years.

My pool was constructed with shotcrete that caused ASR. The shell started cracking. After a year empty and another year plus with an attorney and a settlement…last weekend we finally filled the new one.

The only cure for ASR is complete demolition of previous pool/concrete etc. The post demolition photo is attached. There was a pool that looked similar prior to this demo.

It wasn’t worth it for the last few years…but we finally have our pool/backyard back.

It was nice to tweak a couple things but damn…feel sorry for the 100’s (possibly a lot more) of other people who had this issue but discovered it later and may not settle/get anything.

Cray cray.

Looking forward to another hot summer.

d510f146f6c8cfffd6caf3f18089b5c2.jpg

IMG_0009.jpeg

Edited by Tailgate
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

So I'm not sending a photo yet, but my son's description of the state of our pool right about now was:

"Wow, this is the first time I've been able to actually SEE photosynthesis!"

Given the deconstruction of our garage, I don't know if I'll be able to find all my pool gear to clean it.

Will update soon.

Edited by Rimbo
  • Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, Tailgate said:

My pool was constructed with shotcrete that caused ASR. The shell started cracking. After a year empty and another year plus with an attorney and a settlement…last weekend we finally filled the new one.

The only cure for ASR is complete demolition of previous pool/concrete etc. The post demolition photo is attached. There was a pool that looked similar prior to this demo.

It wasn’t worth it for the last few years…but we finally have our pool/backyard back.

It was nice to tweak a couple things but damn…feel sorry for the 100’s (possibly a lot more) of other people who had this issue but discovered it later and may not settle/get anything.

Cray cray.

IMG_0009.jpeg

I hate you all. This is beautiful, and I'm a petty, jealous man right now. 

On 3/10/2024 at 11:37 AM, williemackgarza said:

My POS Penteir Master Temp 400 pool heater is fucking up.
Hadnt used it all winter until trying 2 weeks ago. Not used the spa since Nov. Water temp 65 and set it for 82. No issues since new in 3 years. Fired it up and business as usual with that crazy jet engine roar. About 15 mins in it starts cycling thru on then back to off repeatedly every 2-3 minutes. When it would turn off the “ service heater” light would turn solid red. Light would go off and heater would begin to fire up like normal. Called pool tech and he came by and said the heater checked okay but my issue is probably my house atmos gas pressure at the heater, said:
(Max inlet was around 9”wc and when the heater fired it dropped down to 3.75”wc Max should be around 12-14 and drop down to no less than 4” wc)
Pool guy says to call gas company to request larger meter. Our house is on ATMOS gas and was built in 1990 and he says the meter is on the smaller side.
But if gas company comes out and pressure test house and finds leaks they wont hook up new meter to house until all leaks are found. Gas to furnace and water heater only.

Plumber says he will run by and check pressure of line and check house side for leaks. Plumber says its odd that heater has worked all along and now shit the bed due to low pressure. Thinks its probably the heater. But he doesnt work on pool heaters.
I dont know shit about fuck but I agree with the plumbers opinion.
Tech guy does a ton of pentair stuff and has swapped alot of equipment thru pentair warranty.

Will see this week.

Anyone ever encounter this?

Did they check the stack flu sensor? Also, aren't heater warranties only good for 1 year?

20240319_110857.thumb.jpg.31b80cd2658b80e4ebb6a2a6ee24e79e.jpg

I have a pet turtle. A Reeve's Turtle, aka Chinese Pond Turtle.

Maybe I just toss him in there along with the 13" plecostomus. Add some koi, lily pads, and some floaters and be done with it.

• Like 1
  • Prepare your anus 1

22 hours ago, Tailgate said:

Cray cray.

IMG_0009.jpeg

Had to google ASR.  Crap.  I could be the next victim.

We have a crack from top to bottom in one wall.  I pointed out the large voids in the shotcrete when they pulled the forms and was told. oh that's normal.  18 months later the crack shows up. It took a year to get their insurance adjuster out to look at it and he says we had a bad installation.  

After the forms were pulled in 2021

IMG_2803.thumb.jpeg.ff380649260b839a20cc9da0e4edcf59.jpeg

IMG_2804.thumb.jpeg.73b5340d888cdcdf76f021c4ce4288cd.jpeg

Cracks go all the way from back wall into the plaster and cracked the coping 

IMG_2683.thumb.jpeg.d569bb08150948fe887b5cec99c20630.jpeg

Edited by TexasEd
  • Rage+1 3

22 hours ago, Tailgate said:

Cray cray.

IMG_0009.jpeg

Unfortunately I think I’m in the same boat. Would you mind if I reached out via PM to pick your brain?

Edited by TexEx15
  • Rage+1 2

9 hours ago, Rimbo said:

20240319_110857.thumb.jpg.31b80cd2658b80e4ebb6a2a6ee24e79e.jpg

I have a pet turtle. A Reeve's Turtle, aka Chinese Pond Turtle.

Maybe I just toss him in there along with the 13" plecostomus. Add some koi, lily pads, and some floaters and be done with it.

Damn didn’t you just get yours straight from Black algae last season?

18 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I hate you all. This is beautiful, and I'm a petty, jealous man right now. 

Thanks. Having a pool ripped out of your backyard with jackhammers for months was not a fun experience…windows shattering on other side of house from vibrations. Was unreal watching. But happy with outcome.