2024 Astros Foundation College Classic

HendersonHorns

4 minutes ago, SameSame said:

You stupid asses think losing is ok.  Just a handful of grab bag of stupid motherfuckers.

I handful of fucking idiots who think quips get us where we need to go.

How did you physically survive losing to San Diego at home? 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

Welp, as we’ve said in previous seasons these type of games expose your warts quickly. 

We have the pitching to compete with almost anyone. Have to figure out the lineup and damnit I wish we had Luke Storm.

Jack has to go, You can justify giving Porter through the Texas Tech series just because he has proven it before but if he hasn't turned it around by then you have to try other options.

• Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, chase25 said:

Jack has to go, You can justify giving Porter through the Texas Tech series just because he has proven it before but if he hasn't turned it around by then you have to try other options.

Well, there is an obvious replacement for Jack too where as I don’t think it’s as clear a picture in the OF if Porter isn’t in there.

3 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Well, there is an obvious replacement for Jack too where as I don’t think it’s as clear a picture in the OF if Porter isn’t in there.

There is, but then there’s no obvious replacement at 1st.

Just now, ztejas said:

You haven't even been here a year, sweetheart. Maybe tone it down on the "everyone here is clueless about Texas baseball" angle. You came on a little strong tonight. 

The fact you think time on a message board is the determining factor says quite a lot.  The fact you freely and openly admitted it says even more.

But hey, it's a free country and this is just a message board, think what you want.

1 minute ago, MuellerHorn said:

Move JT to OF and Borba to first?

They don’t trust Borba at 1B right now. 

Maybe I’m just clinging to hope but I refuse to believe Porter Brown isn’t in our best 9, slump or not right now. 9 games isn’t insignificant but damnit we’ve seen it from him.

5 minutes ago, Hondo said:

The fact you think time on a message board is the determining factor says quite a lot.  The fact you freely and openly admitted it says even more.

But hey, it's a free country and this is just a message board, think what you want.

you’re welcome to share your credentials. You still playing anywhere?

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

I heard Werchan was ahead of Cummings in the OF pecking order but I’m not opposed to throwing Cummings in the DH spot tomorrow and seeing what happens. Guy homered in the fall World Series and alumni game so maybe he’s a gamer.

Edited by Hookem2147

6 minutes ago, Hondo said:

Man, you’re confused. No one is discounting what you know or don’t know about the game. Giving your opinion is great! Calling out everyone that disagrees with you that they know nothing and are stupid is the last thing anyone should do. Just disagree and move along. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, B00M said:

you’re welcome to share your credentials. You still playing anywhere?

Okay, since you asked.

I played multiple sports at a very high level in high school.  Focused solely on baseball in college.  Was successful (lead the team in hitting) until I was limited by a pretty serious medical issue.  That ended any hopes of a career past college.  Hard to say how that might have gone...who knows.

Probably understood the finer points of the game even better than I could physically execute them.  It's been awhile, so a few things may have changed, but I still know what I'm seeing when I'm watching a game.  

My career was in another field that was extremely demanding (far moreso than sports), both physically and mentally, and I reached the very pinnacle of that one.  Reached the pinnacle of a couple other disciplines as well.  I know the difference between good and great in general, and what it takes to get there.  When I wasn't busy "doing", I taught people how to make the leap, so I get the coaching angle as well.

That's about all I'm going to reveal on an internet message board.

(I don't really care about message board cred.  I just like to comment on/discuss baseball while I'm watching the game.  People can think what they want and say what they want, even the stuff they'd never have the balls to say in person.  I get a kick out of it, actually.)

• Hook 'Em 2

27 minutes ago, Levi said:

Man, you’re confused. No one is discounting what you know or don’t know about the game. Giving your opinion is great! Calling out everyone that disagrees with you that they know nothing and are stupid is the last thing anyone should do. Just disagree and move along. 

You obviously haven't read the thread for context.  Point out where I did that.  I get nothing out of being a dick to people on a message board.  If I'm ever chippy, it's usually in response to something people would never say in person ("stupidest shit I've ever heard", "dumb fuck", etc.).  

6 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

I heard Werchan was ahead of Cummings in the OF pecking order but I’m not opposed to throwing Cummings in the DH spot tomorrow and seeing what happens. Guy homered in the fall World Series and alumni game so maybe he’s a gamer.

I thought Cummings was one of our injured transfers?

7 hours ago, ztejas said:

Damn I had no idea that this entire time we were just missing you two fucking geniuses. 

They'll disappear after this weekend and show up again when we have a bad game in April, then disappear again until the Big12 tourney. It's the AustinOrange syndrome. Happens every year.

It’s year 8. Who the fuck cares what choice he was. The results have been about as good as we could expect from any choice.

This is the third year in a row that the team is worse than the previous year. Not exactly what you want to see in year 8.

He may be a “good coach” but he sucks at program building.
  • Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

This is the third year in a row that the team is worse than the previous year. Not exactly what you want to see in year 8.

I’m not sure how you can say that.

An argument can be made that this team on paper is better than last year. We will see if the results play out that way because it’s baseball.

I’m not sure how you can say that.
An argument can be made that this team on paper is better than last year. We will see if the results play out that way because it’s baseball.

We will see…and hope. And yes preseason showcases don’t make or break a season…but some semblance of above average competence (especially offensive) against quality teams early in the season would be nice for a change…

Edit…plus, I’m salty that now I’ve got to show up at a Louisiana hog hunt next week with two sacks of crawfish…you priced that shit lately???
  • Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

I don’t know about anybody else, but I don’t agree that this team is worse than last year. It’s younger, but the pitching is better and the bats can and probably will come around. 

• Hook 'Em 2

It’s ok to be upset. it’s painfully obvious LSU is a couple of car lengths better than us. Maybe we can “keep it close” but there’s not a realistic chance Texas beats LSU beats best on best or in a series. That futility for what I believe is the defining college baseball program for the last 75-80 years is tough to take. Add that the LSU NIL program is also clearly #1 makes it worse.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, troph said:

It’s ok to be upset. it’s painfully obvious LSU is a couple of car lengths better than us. Maybe we can “keep it close” but there’s not a realistic chance Texas beats LSU beats best on best or in a series. That futility for what I believe is the defining college baseball program for the last 75-80 years is tough to take. Add that the LSU NIL program is also clearly #1 makes it worse.

Best on best yes. But their pitching is shaky again outside their #1 just like last year. Thatcher Hurd was hit around as their Friday night guy against VMI and Stony Brook before Johnson pulled the plug on him.

Holman is going in the first round. Bednar went in the first round. Sims went in the first round despite blowing out his elbow. We aren’t the only teams these guys performed well against.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

I thought Cummings was one of our injured transfers?

Will Rigney (medically retired), Will Mercer (Tommy John), Oliver Santos (injury) and Luke Storm (quit baseball) were the portal guys.

Cummings, Fontenot and Boehm were juco kids who are all healthy and available.

Edited by Hookem2147

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Best on best yes. But their pitching is shaky again outside their #1 just like last year. Thatcher Hurd was hit around as their Friday night guy against VMI and Stony Brook before Johnson pulled the plug on him.

Holman is going in the first round. Bednar went in the first round. Sims went in the first round despite blowing out his elbow. We aren’t the only teams these guys performed well against.

I don’t think our bats out hit theirs on sat and sun in a series. Holman blew our guys off the plate. Silliness. All the early season, coach ‘em up, better than last year, young, etc is fine. Holman didn’t have a good outing, he had a career day. The chances he will ever have that many strikeouts in one game ever again at any level is unlikely. He embarrassed us. 

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

Will Rigney (medically retired), Will Mercer (Tommy John), Oliver Service (injury) and Luke Storm (quit baseball) were the portal guys.

Cummings, Fontenot and Boehm were juco kids who are all healthy and available.

I lost track of the player news, I knew about Mercer, but damn that’s a shit sandwich.

Edited by troph

17 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I don’t know about anybody else, but I don’t agree that this team is worse than last year. It’s younger, but the pitching is better and the bats can and probably will come around. 

Agreed.   The overall talent level is up.   But it's younger and needs to be used.  Pierce needs to commit to Kennedy, for example, and take his lumps with a young player.  The kid has already shown twice the upside of the veteran jag he is competing against.  Other places we are forced to play young guys and we will take some lumps whether we like it or not.   We also need Galvan to be healthy and for Harrison and Witt to keep coming on.  It was a bit of clown show behind the plate last night.

We got dog walked. Wasn't great but it is what it is because Holman is lights out and that very well may be the best team in the country. 

What really bothered me is we were out numbered what felt like about 7 to 1. They outclassed us big time as a fan base and a program. This was in Houston Texas, and I could tell they reveled in having a home game atmosphere in our state. Pissed me off. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Tylerocks said:

😆

This thread is giving me flashbacks to the 2021 season when we struck out like 132 times in the first 3 games.

Not quite 132, but 38 was still alarming.

10 to MissST, 15 to Arky, 13 to Ol Miss

Yet we somehow go 50-17 sweeping a home regional and Super for the yr, and one run away (bottom of 9th) from the Championship series in Omaha.

Sometimes, that's the way baseball go.

th-609128066.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I mean I feel like we never play well in the Houston whatever early season showcase. But I’m probably wrong.

In 2022 we went 2-1 beating #17 other UT (Tennessee) 7-2, and then #7 Tigger 6-1 before losing to UCLA on Sunday 5-1 (losing Tanner to TJ)

Fell flat in Omaha, 2 and Q.

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, BlackCat said:

We got dog walked. Wasn't great but it is what it is because Holman is lights out and that very well may be the best team in the country. 

What really bothered me is we were out numbered what felt like about 7 to 1. They outclassed us big time as a fan base and a program. This was in Houston Texas, and I could tell they reveled in having a home game atmosphere in our state. Pissed me off. 

Houston is one of their biggest if not THE BIGGEST city out of state for their alumni. 

It's one of the main reasons they have always had (even before aggy's 100 yr decision to move SEC) a rivalry ( and trolling) with A&M. They both claim Houston as one of, if not their main recruiting ground. 

I was surprised too last night by our turn out but it was pretty close to that two yrs ago when wife and I went to the same tourney with them in it. Their fan base travels extremely well, especially to there and here in Austin (HOU-ATX > Red Stick)

When we played them here at home in 2019, we had to add extra bleachers at the Disch for that weekend series. They came in ranked #2 and we landed up sweeping them, but then we finished the season at 27-27 🤷‍♂️

Edited by BillyGoatHill
  • Hook 'Em 2

30 minutes ago, BillyGoatHill said:

In 2022 we went 2-1 beating #17 other UT (Tennessee) 7-2, and then #7 Tigger 6-1 before losing to UCLA on Sunday 5-1 (losing Tanner to TJ)

Fell flat in Omaha, 2 and Q.

Yup. Had a blast at minute maid that year other than the UCLA lost.