2024 Big 12 Tournament Thread

Pancho

1 minute ago, Pam Cummings said:

Tang just has the look of an absolute scumbag. Kind of wanted to poach after the Beard fiasco. No mas.

Anyone affiliated with Baylor and Drew that long can’t wash that scumbag off themselves 

• Hook 'Em 2

45 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Tang just has the look of an absolute scumbag. Kind of wanted to poach after the Beard fiasco. No mas.

I was impressed with him last season, and bought into KSU's insistence that he's the best human ever, but I should know by now not to trust anyone with that much institutional history at Baylor.

44 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Anyone affiliated with Baylor and Drew that long can’t wash that scumbag off themselves 

I had not seen this prior to my post, but spot on.

Posted (edited)

Can't catch a damn break with these injuries, hopefully Darrion Williams not hurt too bad for Tech

Would be absolutely devastating to lose him for any amount of time this year, probably our best player

Edited by Brian Fantana

We can't hit anything right now. Shooting 19%. Bad BYU is here today. TT playing tough D and almost every 3 dropping. Less than 4 minutes in the half left and we have only 15 points. Wow. Barring some crazy comeback, we need to flush this stinker and reset for the tourney. Geez.

Just now, Crockett said:

Y'all look unstoppable right now

I'm very surprised at how it's going but it's nice to see.

Hope it's nothing serious with Aly Khalifa, he's a unique player that's fun to watch. These games are pretty meaningless unless you're really pushing for seeding so it's not worth risking further injuries to key players, which is why I'm still kind of miffed that #5 is still out there for us.

Congrats, Tech, on the win. You have a good, tough, swarming, relentless, well-coached team. 

This season we've bounced back well after our losses. Now we gotta get some rest, get healthy (Khalifa) and see if we can finally do some damage in the tourney. 

Also, the Reid vibes were not enough today. 

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, Crockett said:

Congrats, Tech, on the win. You have a good, tough, swarming, relentless, well-coached team. 

This season we've bounced back well after our losses. Now we gotta get some rest, get healthy (Khalifa) and see if we can finally do some damage in the tourney. 

Also, the Reid vibes were not enough today. 

He can't compete with Mahomes magic

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Someone is saying that Drew is the front-runner to go to Louisville. Wonder if Baylor brings back Tang if that happens.

Did he already leave? Bears struggling against Cincinnati 

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

Someone is saying that Drew is the front-runner to go to Louisville. Wonder if Baylor brings back Tang if that happens.

That would make 0 sense for Drew

2 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

That's about as stupid as one can get, whoever the someone is. 

Drew is set for life in Waco. Statue is already in progress. He's had more than one good offer over 21 years and trying to resurrect a cesspool in Louisville when he's on top of the world in that town doesn't make for much of a decision. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

UH's defense is as good as ours was in 2019, at least. The Kenpom numbers are a bit behind but that doesn't tell the whole story. This might be Sampson's best team.

UH 2021 team was damn good team. Baylor was stacked that year.
UH 2022 team was very good until Marcus Sasser and Tramon Mark got injured. Still made it to the Elite Eight

15 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

No chance in hell Drew is leaving BU for Louisville 

3 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Iowa State/Baylor tips at 8:30 tonight.

My god, that crowd is going to be drunk.

Yep.   And the UH/TT fans are mad because they’re not the late primetime showcase.  Fu k you CougHigh, it pays to have been in the conference a while.   

13 hours ago, Wally Pryor said:

That's about as stupid as one can get, whoever the someone is. 

Drew is set for life in Waco. Statue is already in progress. He's had more than one good offer over 21 years and trying to resurrect a cesspool in Louisville when he's on top of the world in that town doesn't make for much of a decision. 

Louiville is a 10x better job. The only reason he'd turn it down is for these reasons, that he can retire a legend in Waco. The fact that he's stayed there that long is something. I saw a basketball game there some years ago and couldn't get out of there fast enough, complete shithole. Only thing good there these days is Balcones distillery, and even they are fading a bit in my opinion. I give zero fucks about those weird HGTV people building a restaurant or bnb or whatever it is they are trying to do there.

19 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Louiville is a 10x better job. The only reason he'd turn it down is for these reasons, that he can retire a legend in Waco. The fact that he's stayed there that long is something. I saw a basketball game there some years ago and couldn't get out of there fast enough, complete shithole. Only thing good there these days is Balcones distillery, and even they are fading a bit in my opinion. I give zero fucks about those weird HGTV people building a restaurant or bnb or whatever it is they are trying to do there.

l o fucking l.  Louisville is an absolute shit job compared to baylor right now.  They haven’t done shit in over a decade, and any prior glory of theirs was 35 years before that.  

Just beat Duke in a recruiting battle for a top 5 player, and are putting contributin players in the league every year.  Say what you will, but Drew is a damn good coach, and lil ol Waco is a whole lot closer to any decent town than fucking Stillwater. Maybe y’all will hire Gillespie away from Tarleton 

I like Stillwater. That whole area of the state is interesting. Ever been to Pawhuska?

But I agree that Louisville seems, at best, a side-grade for Drew at this stage. He's built Baylor into a nationally renown program despite some monstrous disadvantages that he inherited. He probably has an unofficial "contract for life" arrangement.

With apologies to Olden Polynice and the ghost of Denny Crum, Louisville just ain't what it was.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

And I mean no disrespect to Stillwater, I’ve had a good time everytime I’ve been there.    

I mean, Waco has an msa of 300,000, Stillwater is too small for an msa and is around 50,000. Stillwater is a true college town but has little else to offer, which should be expected for a small rural town. Waco should be much better than it is for its size and location. Nevertheless, UL is objectively a better job by pretty much any metric. They just need to get passed Pitino's nonsense. I'm pretty sure the next hire will do well.

Stated differently, Louisville being average or below average is an anomaly, they have had tremendous success under different coaches. Baylor winning a national championship is an anomaly and their upswing is entirely due to one coach. For that reason, I don't see him leaving, but UL is still a better job.

Edited by 'stache

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Trey3216 said:

Yep.   And the UH/TT fans are mad because they’re not the late primetime showcase.  Fu k you CougHigh, it pays to have been in the conference a while.   

This seems made up. Both games are prime time. UH/TT is the earlier game because we played the early games yesterday, not because BU/ISU is a more compelling matchup.

Edited by Brian Fantana

18 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I mean, Waco has an msa of 300,000, Stillwater is too small for an msa and is around 50,000. Stillwater is a true college town but has little else to offer, which should be expected for a small rural town. Waco should be much better than it is for its size and location. Nevertheless, UL is objectively a better job by pretty much any metric. They just need to get passed Pitino's nonsense. I'm pretty sure the next hire will do well.

Stated differently, Louisville being average or below average is an anomaly, they have had tremendous success under different coaches. Baylor winning a national championship is an anomaly and their upswing is entirely due to one coach. For that reason, I don't see him leaving, but UL is still a better job.

They’ve had 10 years to get past Pitino.   Outside of the title that got erased, they won 2 over 40 years ago.  BU has more deep tourney trips since 2010 in every metric than Louisville, and almost all of the Louisville metrics are well before Pitino.   It’s a good job, it damn sure isn’t a better job than BU right now….and that’s because of Drew.  

yes, Waco should be a bigger town.   But it’s not.  But there’s plenty to do here, just like Stillwater, and none of it involves spending money at Chip/Jo’s fake antique stand.  Next time you’re in town for a game, holler at me.  I’ll be happy to buy you a beer and hang out.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

This seems made up. Both games are prime time. UH/TT is the earlier game because we played the early games yesterday, not because BU/ISU is a more compelling matchup.

I’m just making fun of the UH fans that are bitching about how they are being slighted that I’ve seen on Twitter.  

• Like 1