Washington @ Texas Series Thread

Horny Bull

2 minutes ago, troph said:

It’s time to get it back. I’m ready for a change. NIL era should be the golden era for Texas athletics and baseball should be the top performer.

I’ve been supportive of DP but…..he wanted to be the pitching coach this season and look at the mess.  Beyond that my gut tells me something is seriously wrong because the quality on the field is so poor as you indicate with all the inherit advantages Texas has.  

1 minute ago, Horn80 said:

I’ve been supportive of DP but…..he wanted to be the pitching coach this season and look at the mess.  Beyond that my gut tells me something is seriously wrong because the quality on the field is so poor as you indicate with all the inherit advantages Texas has.  

I was too, until now.

5 minutes ago, Horn80 said:

Beyond that my gut tells me something is seriously wrong because the quality on the field is so poor as you indicate with all the inherit advantages Texas has.  

The defense was the canary for me. I can be patient with a team to come around pitching and hitting-wise or find their groove later in the season but if you come out playing like dogshit in the field the reality is that you probably just aren't very good. Crappy fielding teams don't turn into good fielding teams halfway through the season. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

What a train wreck last night.  Jeez, I try to be optimistic.  I want to back DP, but this year is beginning to frustrate me.  I feel like this a bad marriage and I'm trying to decide between staying or the divorce.  I'm going to keep watching, but I'm thinking DP may be coaching his last here.  

Let's get 'em today!

Edited by Bevo&Pevo

4 minutes ago, HuntinHorn said:

Damn I'm glad I had something to do and didn't have to watch that shitshow.   Washington has been kicking our ass too much the last two years.  

I was across the street watching the Spurs get their ass kicked instead.

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, troph said:

He produces top 15 caliber teams

That's the red flag to me.  He's only had a top 8 national seed once.  Not only does that give you the much easier path to omaha but selfishly home regionals and supers are just so much fun.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, TejasPedro said:

Let’s just call ballgame on the DP era.

I’m down for Dan Heefner, all he does is win.

And that’s nice. He also requires that faith based teachings be incorporated in his program and enjoys the life of being at a small school like Dallas Baptist. I’m sure going to Texas would be no big deal for him.

18 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

And that’s nice. He also requires that faith based teachings be incorporated in his program and enjoys the life of being at a small school like Dallas Baptist. I’m sure going to Texas would be no big deal for him.

Not sure why this would be an issue. I doubt Texas would tell him not to do that. I could see the pressures of a big school bothering him though. 

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Isaiah 41:10

“Do not fear, for I am with you. Do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and I will help you. I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.”

The Lion’s den of Austin would not scare a true man of faith.

56 minutes ago, WBT said:

That's the red flag to me.  He's only had a top 8 national seed once.  Not only does that give you the much easier path to omaha but selfishly home regionals and supers are just so much fun.

Yep. And if we were national top 8 the performance in Omaha would be less dependent upon hope and prayers. I don’t like being forced to pray. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Agree.  Augie teams were so resilient and his knack for playing the right player at the right time was epic.

Augies teams did play to the end, but the last half of your statement is pretty much made up feel good stuff.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

4 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Augies teams did play to the end, but the last half of your statement is pretty much made up feel good stuff.

Yeah, when a little -used guy is inserted into the lineup and goes 0 for 4, no one remembers.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

You coach that long and you will. That Chris Carmichael homer was a very long time before he retired.

One somewhat memorable moment for me was in a low scoring CWS game. He bunts Michael Holiimon with a runner on first. Hollimon had some of the best ABs of the day. Needless to say we strand the runner and lose the game.

Augie was better pre and post game than in game. And it’s probably not even close.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

50 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Not sure why this would be an issue. I doubt Texas would tell him not to do that. I could see the pressures of a big school bothering him though. 

Mandatory team bible study at a public school is an issue. That is what he requires.

Unbelievable coach though. When he didn’t take the Baylor gig or TCU it basically confirmed he was a DBU lifer. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

I would be stunned if the Texas baseball lockeroom hasn't been fiercely Christian since its inception. 

And mandatory Bible study wouldn't fly at Texas but I'm sure he could get over it. 

Being a faith-based Christian just isn't a turnoff for most baseball players. Especially in the SEC.

Edited by ztejas

10 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I would be stunned if the Texas baseball lockeroom hasn't been fiercely Christian since its inception. 

And mandatory Bible study wouldn't fly at Texas but I'm sure he could get over it. 

Being a faith-based Christian just isn't a turnoff for most baseball players. Especially in the SEC.

Don’t disagree with anything you said. Just saying there is a reason he hasn’t left DBU. Some guys are just comfortable in their own skin and happy with the lifestyle they live.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Because it’s 2024 and plenty of players don’t believe. 

2 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

Here come the pointer-outers of Augie's last 8 years compared to DPs.

Those people don't realize they are actually advocating for Pierce's firing. Look at Augie's last N years. Yep, and we fired him.

54 minutes ago, ztejas said:

This is just flat out fucking wrong. We’ve been a strict Roman Catholic team since Billy Disch was calling the shots 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Those people don't realize they are actually advocating for Pierce's firing. Look at Augie's last N years. Yep, and we fired him.

What does this even mean? We missed the postseason all together in 3 of his final 5 seasons and it would have been 4 of 5 if not for a miracle run in the conference tournament.

Yes, putting up those kind of results were get you shown the door regardless of who you are. But as I’ve said before, Augie was basically a figurehead at the end of his tenure. Skip was doing a lot of the heavy lifting. I’ll always be of the opinion that we should have had an exit strategy better planned. But we had Steve Patterson and an interim AD running things so I guess I shouldn’t be surprised at the result. 

Edited by Hookem2147

1 hour ago, Had Enough said:

You coach that long and you will. That Chris Carmichael homer was a very long time before he retired.

One somewhat memorable moment for me was in a low scoring CWS game. He bunts Michael Holiimon with a runner on first. Hollimon had some of the best ABs of the day. Needless to say we strand the runner and lose the game.

Augie was better pre and post game than in game. And it’s probably not even close.

It wasn’t just CC, and bunt call was his MO he was rarely going to deviate. But your last point is 100% true.  

23 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

You would think after 2019 we would be carrying 3 guys we are comfortable with catching in a game.

But nope. Didn’t learn our lesson.

Is Nik Sanders just a bullpen catcher or something? 

5 hours ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

What a train wreck last night.  Jeez, I try to be optimistic.  I want to back DP, but this year is beginning to frustrate me.  I feel like this a bad marriage and I'm trying to decide between staying or the divorce.  I'm going to keep watching, but I'm thinking DP may be coaching his last here.  

Let's get 'em today!

Yeah to me he's kinda walked that fine line most of the time he's been here, where we as a fanbase overall weren't quite sure what we had in DP. Now it seems like we know. Time to move on imho.

• Hook 'Em 1

It wasn’t just CC, and bunt call was his MO he was rarely going to deviate. But your last point is 100% true.  

Oh I know. Sometimes it works and sometimes not. I am not anti-bunt, but I’m pro situational usage. That example was not situational. I think Hollimon was hitting lefty too with decent speed. He had the hole due to first being held, hitting well that game, harder to double up on a pulled grounder and we simply weren’t hitting well overall.

It was a philosophy that he held to often.

5 hours ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

Let's get 'em today!

Train wreck carryover?