Who is winning the great $9.95 Longhorn streaming wars?

SimkinsMan

2 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

has Bobby ever lashed out on his own subs in the message boards? Cause I've seen screenshots of Nahlin doing  it 

Has Bobby ever got so jealous that he completely blew up a great thing on YT to only start your on YT and be shittier than what you had?

3 hours ago, Thiefery said:

has Bobby ever lashed out on his own subs in the message boards? Cause I've seen screenshots of Nahlin doing  it 

If he hasn't he's a fucking saint because there is at least once every morning livestream that one of their posters asks a question or makes a remark that would make me spout off. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mr. Mojo Risin' said:

You guys don't like ketch and OB?

(/s for the slow ones)

Confession- I have been online, following the Longhorns, since 1996, on Austin360, Netscape on a Unix box at work. 

In almost 28 years, I have never read or heard anything that made me think I needed to check out Geoff Ketchum or Orangebloods. 

I have read people post that the non-football discussion is good; that just isn’t compelling enough. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Also, there is no one to compare Gerry to in the UT realm. There are few anywhere that put in that kind of work and couple it with a mind for the material.

How is it not obvious at this point that Gerry Hamilton is best 9.95er out there for Texas football fans? 

He's incredibly knowledgable, consistently gives reasonable takes, genuinely seems to love his job, and most importantly never comes off as a douchebag. He's easily the biggest asset in this ecosystem. 

• Hook 'Em 6

• 3 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, Red Five said:

We all like Bobby and Gerry, but I'm not sure if recreating Hornfans over there, with no negativity or cussing, with those football savants is going to be much fun.

https://ontexasfootball.com/forums/topic/1488-one-major-thing-please-read/#comment-18731

i get what they want..  which is why i just soak up their intel and express my feelings on surly

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Red Five said:

We all like Bobby and Gerry, but I'm not sure if recreating Hornfans over there, with no negativity or cussing, with those football savants is going to be much fun.

https://ontexasfootball.com/forums/topic/1488-one-major-thing-please-read/#comment-18731

8 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

i get what they want..  which is why i just soak up their intel and express my feelings on surly

This is actually why surly exists and is deeply integrated. It’s for that exact reason. That is a place to keep pristine, very close affiliation with the university, coaches, players in an official media capacity etc. 

This is the air gap between surly and the official program. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Taking a page out of TexAgs' book with the 'leave Britney Terry Joseph alone' paragraph. Although it is interesting Gideon isn't getting as much heat on OTF.

Oh well. We'll see how bad things get in the secondary this fall. The proof is in the pudding.

3 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Taking a page out of TexAgs' book with the 'leave Britney Terry Joseph alone' paragraph. Although it is interesting Gideon isn't getting as much heat on OTF.

Oh well. We'll see how bad things get in the secondary this fall. The proof is in the pudding.

Guys this isn’t complicated. It’s a very good thing for both sites that it works this way. That will never happen on surly. We don’t have credentials to take away. 

• Hook 'Em 2

You all sound like a bunch of poopy heads.

I know in the past, Rick has bemoaned needing to walk that fine line between running a free-wheeling board and his increasing interaction with the powers that be (NIL has just increased that need). Bobby long ago made the choice to go clean, likely because he is part of the machine and deals with guys like CDC all the time.

Imma wanted content creation. Bobby needed a web platform. Marriage made in G-Rated Heaven.

I don’t really post over there, or quite frankly, open many of the threads since many are 80 year olds typing with one finger, finally venturing out into this new internet thing with the cheerleader posts (“We love you Jerry!”). Worse yet, there are several LTx wannabes who think their every thought is thread worthy (sometimes creating multiple threads for the same subject). I think some see the board as an opportunity to act like a moderator/expert.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

15 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

I don’t really post over there, or quite frankly, open many of the threads since many are 80 year olds typing with one finger, finally venturing out into this new internet thing with the cheerleader posts (“We love you Jerry!”). Worse yet, there are several LTx wannabes who think their every thought is thread worthy (sometimes creating multiple threads for the same subject). I think some see the board as an opportunity to act like a moderator/expert.

Before too long, those will be the only people posting there. 

50 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

You all sound like a bunch of poopy heads.

I know in the past, Rick has bemoaned needing to walk that fine line between running a free-wheeling board and his increasing interaction with the powers that be (NIL has just increased that need). Bobby long ago made the choice to go clean, likely because he is part of the machine and deals with guys like CDC all the time.

Imma wanted content creation. Bobby needed a web platform. Marriage made in G-Rated Heaven.

Bingo.

25 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Thanks immamac!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You're the bestest!!!!!!!!!!!

And now for my hard hitting football takes. I think it is better to win games than it is to lose them. Hook em!!!!!!1!

Fuck off you plebeian shitbag. (Amidointhisrite)

• Haha 2

What I love about Surly is that, despite the front that this is a bunch of amoralistic shitheads, the most intelligent "fan" discussions of Texas sports happens here. Like, it's possible to have differing opinions, and we at least try to get past the veneer of blind homerism for our team. We don't (generally) dogpile the fans of opposing teams if they bring something to the discussion. And if you say ignorant things like "ketch thinks" you're sent packing. In summary, fuck all of you.

17 minutes ago, SimkinsMan said:

What I love about Surly is that, despite the front that this is a bunch of amoralistic shitheads, the most intelligent "fan" discussions of Texas sports happens here. Like, it's possible to have differing opinions, and we at least try to get past the veneer of blind homerism for our team. We don't (generally) dogpile the fans of opposing teams if they bring something to the discussion. And if you say ignorant things like "ketch thinks" you're sent packing. In summary, fuck all of you.

I agree - I love this place for what it is - but Surly is also prone to groupthink and runaway narratives.  All in all I'd rather exist in a place like Surly than Bobby's ultra sanitized board, but he does have a point.  The big idea, as expressed above, is that the two places can (and should) be viewed as complementary.

• Like 1

Surly will always be a place for assholes, good, bad, and everyone in between, but it's good people...for the most part, minus Text tow, drunkenstien etc.

CSB Alert/ was in Afghanistan 2010-2011 surfing shaggy, and someone mentioned something about shit holes. I said Kandahar, and I got a PM a few hours later.

Fast forward fews days later In this God forsaken place, we met at the "boardwalk" and was like WTF what's the odds, muledick! Made me forget about all the BS for a bit in that shithole.

• Hook 'Em 3

Shouting down inanities, posting vulgar memes like “oh fuck, you’re gonna make me hookem”, calling out unnecessary handwringing, and the like is not conducive to building a large community where everyone feels welcome to visit and engage. 

Being aggressive toward other posters, even when warranted, is generally anti-community behavior too. 

Having surly gives people the ability to talk that stuff down, but maybe there’s a way to encourage that kind of poster to be more active on those topics here instead. 

6 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Shouting down inanities, posting vulgar memes like “oh fuck, you’re gonna make me hookem”, calling out unnecessary handwringing, and the like is not conducive to building a large community where everyone feels welcome to visit and engage. 

Being aggressive toward other posters, even when warranted, is generally anti-community behavior too. 

Having surly gives people the ability to talk that stuff down, but maybe there’s a way to encourage that kind of poster to be more active on those topics here instead. 

30 minutes ago, Atticus said:

The result, for me at least, will be to stop reading after the initial post by either Bobby or Gerry. And in about 11 months, not renewing my subscription. 

• Hook 'Em 1

If you feel the need to tie your support of their coverage to your ability to talk all the shit you want to on the site, that's on you.

Surly is surly. OTF is OTF. The communities can be symbiotic with some discipline.

3 minutes ago, Red Five said:

The result, for me at least, will be to stop reading after the initial post by either Bobby or Gerry. And in about 11 months, not renewing my subscription. 

So what exactly is the issue that you are up in arms about? The info they provide is worth the cost of their subscription. 

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

So what exactly is the issue that you are up in arms about? The info they provide is worth the cost of their subscription. 

Is it? I don't know. If they want their board to be a place that makes hornfans circa 2007 look like Surly by comparison, I don't think I want to pay for that. 

1 minute ago, Red Five said:

Is it? I don't know. If they want their board to be a place that makes hornfans circa 2007 look like Surly by comparison, I don't think I want to pay for that. 

Yes, or you know....you could go subscribe to Chip, Ketch, or Nahlin for 9.95.  So what I get is you're basically upset because it's not Surly 2.0?

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

Sub pays mostly for the video and scoop content. Not for the board itself. 

the board has a few thousand sign ups and most people who browse are signed up. The YouTube has 46k subscribers and is the main content outlet. The website is the way you financially support the video and editorial content. 

• Like 1