2024 Spring Practice to Fall Camp Thread - Who’s a JAG now?

sith_horn

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

You weren't impressed by Blue  lol wut? 

Held under 3.3 yards in 2 of his last 4 (2.6 vs ISU (Baxter was at 5.9) and 3.3 vs OSU). Killed it vs a beaten down Tech team. His mistakes vs Washington put a damper on Washington game (non-contact fumble and a dropped TD pass). Most the hype is based on that TEch game. 

Edited by Codaxx

2 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Held under 3.3 yards in 2 of his last 4 (2.6 vs ISU (Baxter was at 5.9) and 3.3 vs OSU). Killed it vs a beaten down Tech team. His mistakes vs Washington put a damper on Washington game (non-contact fumble and a dropped TD pass). Most the hype is based on that TEch game. 

You’re blaming the fumble on Blue?  That was Helm.  Can you explain to me why the TE is turned around looking at the back instead of finding someone to block and bury?

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

You’re blaming the fumble on Blue?  That was Helm.  Can you explain to me why the TE is turned around looking at the back instead of finding someone to block and bury?

Wait, you are blaming a fumble on the guy who was blocking downfield and blue ran up his back?  That is an interesting take 

1 hour ago, Hook1997 said:

Baxter has to learn to like contact a bit more to improve.  At the end of the season he had a couple runs that were an improvement on that but he also had a game where he had 18 carries and 1 yard of YAC..   

Like many (if not most) young RBs, Baxter ran a little too straight up last season, which makes YAC more difficult.  I think we'll see enormous improvement there.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Hook1997 said:

Baxter has to learn to like contact a bit more to improve.  At the end of the season he had a couple runs that were an improvement on that but he also had a game where he had 18 carries and 1 yard of YAC..   

He was prone to dings and strains. Hoping another year in the oven has his body tougher and more resilient. Says he's been working on his pad level in traffic/lower bend in the knees. He's a tall dude and likes to run upright. Hopefully it all starts coming together for him this season.

Blue looks like he worked hard to build his body up. Needs to improve his hands receiving and ball security. Codaxx makes a good point on blocking and you'd like to think the coaches have made sure he knows that.

Both of these guys should be pretty motivated with the talent that's behind them.

It's comforting we have such a fine stable of RB's in the wings should either of these guys go down. I'd think Tre Wisner would be the first called upon given his time in the system. And that's another reason for him to get occasional touches as has been mentioned him playing a KR kind of role. That should mean he'll be more ready to go offensively instead of coming off the bench cold.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, cafe society said:

Like many (if not most) young RBs, Baxter ran a little too straight up last season, which makes YAC more difficult.  I think we'll see enormous improvement there.

But, he fumbled during the first scrimmage of the spring!

So, by Surly logic, he's a lost cause. 

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, sith_horn said:

He was prone to dings and strains. Hoping another year in the oven has his body tougher and more resilient. Says he's been working on his pad level in traffic/lower bend in the knees. He's a tall dude and likes to run upright. Hopefully it all starts coming together for him this season.

Blue looks like he worked hard to build his body up. Needs to improve his hands receiving and ball security. Codaxx makes a good point on blocking and you'd like to think the coaches have made sure he knows that.

Both of these guys should be pretty motivated with the talent that's behind them.

It's comforting we have such a fine stable of RB's in the wings should either of these guys go down. I'd think Tre Wisner would be the first called upon given his time in the system. And that's another reason for him to get occasional touches as has been mentioned him playing a KR kind of role. That should mean he'll be more ready to go offensively instead of coming off the bench cold.

Baxter is likely the guy that makes the biggest jump this year. 2nd year is usually the biggest jump for a player. To the original point I think all the RBs flashed last year, but I didn’t see anyone that took the job. So it will be interesting to watch this play out and see who makes the necessary improvements to be the guy 

Edited by Codaxx

42 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

So it will be interesting to watch this play out and see who makes the necessary improvements to be the guy 

Such a bizarre way to look at our fucking stacked RB room. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, sith_horn said:

Wisner may end up like Brooks. Not a super-star recruit but ahead of the game from his first snaps. Just a savvy feel for things, getting better and stronger.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Codaxx said:

I thought he was kind of as advertised. Speed was always there, the question was would he develop to be a complete RB. If you get chalkboard blocking, he is the RB I want with the ball. Like to see both Baxter and Blue show more between the tackles. Run harder. He had 2-3 fumbles with like 60-70 carries. That isn’t going work. In the last 4 games of the season Blue had a higher YPC rating once (Tech),  compared to Baxter 

Dude, this is an awful take even for you.

Edited by Vertigo

19 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Such a bizarre way to look at our fucking stacked RB room. 

Why? I don’t think any of the RBs have put together 3-4 games in a row of high level tape. This isn’t like Bijan going into his 2nd year, where you were like that is the guy. I don’t think they suck. I just don’t think any of them have hit their ceiling yet. Not sure there is a guy that can take 18-20 touches a game in the room. We won’t know until one of them goes out and does it 

3 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Why? I don’t think any of the RBs have put together 3-4 games in a row of high level tape. This isn’t like Bijan going into his 2nd year, where you were like that is the guy. I don’t think they suck. I just don’t think any of them have hit their ceiling yet. Not sure there is a guy that can take 18-20 touches a game in the room. We won’t know until one of them goes out and does it 

Bijan hadn't put together 3-4 games in a row of high level tape nor had he shown he could handle 20 touches/game going into his 2nd year. It's a wonder that it worked out for the kid, imo.

bijan2.png

2 minutes ago, Red Five said:

The guy's we're returning were freshmen. 

Blue is in year 3 and Baxter is in year 2. I said I don’t think either have hit their ceiling and the one that does will take the job. I don’t see what the issue is with that statement. Seems pretty fair to me. 

3 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Blue is in year 3 and Baxter is in year 2. I said I don’t think either have hit their ceiling and the one that does will take the job. I don’t see what the issue is with that statement. Seems pretty fair to me. 

One was a redshirt freshman and the other a true freshman. Thus, "they were freshmen last year".

You said they haven't hit their ceiling yet, as if that is a bad thing. Why would they be maxed out as freshmen?

1 minute ago, Red Five said:

One was a redshirt freshman and the other a true freshman. Thus, "they were freshmen last year".

You said they haven't hit their ceiling yet, as if that is a bad thing. Why would they be maxed out as freshmen?

I didn’t say it was a bad thing, that is your assumption. I just said they have growing to do. It’s not unexpected. 

1 hour ago, mwaadeeb said:

Wisner may end up like Brooks. Not a super-star recruit but ahead of the game from his first snaps. Just a savvy feel for things, getting better and stronger.

Time will tell, but they both seemed to work hard and bide their time. Sark's comment about him working hard and it paying dividends is such a positive. Not only for him, but for the message it sends to everyone on the team. I'd also add, I don't think of Wisner as a "KR" kind of player. I just the like the idea of integrating him into the offense and getting him touches. If that's the vehicle that does it, so be it.

Posted (edited)

You guys really over think this sometimes.  Sark sends out Banks and Baxter on offense after sending out Quinn.  Baxter is going to be the starter and he’s going to be damn good too.  Dude played injured last year and it was pretty clear he needed a year to go muscle up a bit.  Staff thinks he’s an elite talent, that should tell you all you need to know. 

Blue has big time fumble issues and doesn’t run well between the tackles.  That’s been his issue his entire time here.  I imagine he’s worked on those weaknesses and Sark knows how to utilize his strengths.  I think you’re going to very much see Sark use these two like he used Reggie and  Lendale when he was at USC.  Not saying they will be that talent level but he’s going to pound it with Baxter and the big plays will come from Blue.

Also, I’ll say it again.  Sounds like Wingo is on the fast track to start this year.  The 9.95ers and the recruits now have all mentioned him first when asked about the most impressive WR.  He’s an absolute mismatch for DBs.  Can’t wait to see him play in the spring game after hearing about all these reports.

Edited by victory88
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, victory88 said:

Blue has big time fumble issues and doesn’t run well between the tackles.  That’s been his issue his entire time here.  I imagine he’s worked on those weaknesses and Sark knows how to utilize his strengths.  I think you’re going to very much see Sark use these two like he used Reggie and  Lendale when he was at USC.  Not saying they will be that talent level but he’s going to pound it with Baxter and the big plays will come from Blue.

The important question is who will be in the game on fourth and one when the season is on the line.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oldhorn2 said:

So far in this thread I have learned that Blue doesn't run well between the tackles. I have learned Blue runs well between the tackles...

No wonder my friends don't ask me for tips....

My source on the inside tells me Blue doesn't tackle well, and he has the runs.

10 minutes ago, Bevo said:

First, I'm going to get up and chase the wife around the house. She is pretty good between the tackles, but cries like a little girl when she is taken to the turf. So, I plan on losing that fight. Then, I think I'll make some migas. I love that shit on game day. Next, I'm going to grab a beer and hang-out by the pool and grab a little barbeque. Then, I'll go to the game fat drunk and happy and hopefully hang out upstairs in the air-conditioned lounge if it is open. I'll grab a few more drinks and get the wife liquered up. We will probably leave sometime around the end of the third quarter. And if I don't get too buzzed and tired from the heat, I'll chase the wife around again where I think I will win on the second go round. I'll then fall asleep and dream of the upcoming season. Good times.

image.png.6515c2d7184b7ea32b5544099082befb.png

23 minutes ago, Bevo said:

First, I'm going to get up and chase the wife around the house. She is pretty good between the tackles, but cries like a little girl when she is taken to the turf. So, I plan on losing that fight. Then, I think I'll make some migas. I love that shit on game day. Next, I'm going to grab a beer and hang-out by the pool and grab a little barbeque. Then, I'll go to the game fat drunk and happy and hopefully hang out upstairs in the air-conditioned lounge if it is open. I'll grab a few more drinks and get the wife liquered up. We will probably leave sometime around the end of the third quarter. And if I don't get too buzzed and tired from the heat, I'll chase the wife around again where I think I will win on the second go round. I'll then fall asleep and dream of the upcoming season. Good times.

Season 6 Mark GIF by ABC Network

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

I don't mind people arguing about the positives and negatives about the RB room on here. It's the fucking football board and people are talking about football. Color me shocked. Even the straight up bad takes getting posted are also getting corrected, and there's value in reading the corrections. So why are we complaining about people talking about football? Because it should go in a different thread? It's better than all the other tangents that go completely off base. I don't fucking care how much nurses get paid or about Surly's thoughts on the best mexican place south of the river. 

All of that being said, I'm not 100% sunshine on Baxter and Blue. Both RB showed their upside and can be expected to improve, but y'all act like improvement is guaranteed.

• Blue seemed (emphasis on seemed) to have a lot of attitude problems coming into the program. Do we know he's gotten over them? Success can trick guys into thinking their work is done, and Blue seems like a sucker in that regard.
  • I'm more optimistic about Baxter improving - freshman can improvement the most from year-to-year and he was banged up for most of the season anyway. His contact shyness may have been the result injury. If Choice can coach him to run lower and protect himself better, he should have a better year. But the dude definitely ran soft. I've watched his highlights and he crumples upon contact. That needs to get better. 

All of that being said, I'm not panicking about the RB room at all. My concerns about Baxter and Blue only exist because Sark has raised the standard. We now have championship aspirations. We're not just trying to beat OU and avoid embarrassment.

• I think both Baxter and Blue are good RBs, but the question is whether they'll be great, not merely good. Hard to be upset about the standards being higher. 
  • Plus they're not the only RBs in the room - Wisner and Red are both a step back from them, but both have looked good at times. Serviceable in a pinch. Wisner may be an improvement over Robinson as a gadget guy. 
  • And the two early enrollees, Clark and Gibson, are apparently studs who already won over the 9.95 crowd. Clark's legs look like fucking tree trunks.
  • On top of all that, we have probably the best RB coach in the nation in Tashard Choice. Every RB whose played under him has said that he's not only a great recruiter but a great coach. I know that RB is the position that probably needs "coaching" the least, but he definitely seems to get the most out of his players. 

Ultimately, I'm just happy that these are the conversations we're having. We're not wondering who's going to start at RB because we have no one who's worth a damn, we're wondering who will start because there are so many good options. That's a great problem to have, and whether you agree with @Codaxx's pessimism or @Red Five's optimism, I welcome these kinds of debates because the alternative is our collective nightmare of the last decade-plus.

Now feel free to argue about mexican food because I was dumb enough to mention it and of course we have to. 

Edited by Park Gothic
Apparently we'll talk about Big Red soda instead. Because that's better than all the RB talk.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Season 4 Wow GIF by The Office

When I was at Texas and in LHB that's what the Tech band gave us to drink. We used to give visiting bands Orange Crush. Don't even know if bands still give the other band drinks. 

• Hook 'Em 1