Texas Basketball 2024-25

I'm really hoping that we can sign JT Toppin. Which is a better pair of bigs in a smaller closing lineup:

• Dillon Mitchell - 6'8, 205 - 9.6 PTS, 7.5 TRB, 1.0 STL, 0.9 BLK, 58.5 FG%, 0.0 3P%, 59.8 FT%, 1.7 PF
  • Dylan Disu ---- 6'9, 225 - 15.5 PTS, 5.0 TRB, 1.1 STL, 0.9 BLK, 46.5 FG%, 45.1 3P%, 81.2 FT%, 3.4 PF

• Jayson Kent - 6'8, 205 - 13.5 PTS, 8.1 TRB, 0.7 STL, 0.5 BLK, 63.9 FG%, 36.6 3P%, 83.7 FT%, 2.6 PF
  • JT Toppin ---- 6'9, 210 - 12.4 PTS, 9.1 TRB, 1.1 STL, 1.9 BLK, 65.5 FG%, 34.4 3P%, 56.5 FG%, 2.6 PF

Even though Disu was 1st Team All-Big 12, the team wasn't constructed very well to take advantage of his strengths and minimize his weaknesses.  We tended to get abused by more physical teams, especially on the glass.  Disu was also constantly in foul trouble, which took him out of the game at critical moments. 

Kent and Toppin are a much better rebounding duo.  They can also BOTH knock down shots from outside the paint, so it should help spacing. 

We have to sign Toppin. Like... REALLY have to sign this guy.

• Hook 'Em 2

19 hours ago, YGIFS said:

I think we may have one half-ass decent home non-conf game for the first time in years.

Huh?  We beat #2 Gonzaga 93-74 at home in November 2022.  Am I misunderstanding your point?

1 hour ago, definitely not derka said:

been waiting on a schedule like this for a hot, hot minute. one of the funnier parts of my passion for this program is how happy it makes me when i can’t get into the building. there might have been two games ever at the FEC where i couldn’t find a ticket that i could afford. i anticipate that number doubling if not tripling this fall alone.

Cary Elwes Are We Enemies GIF by filmeditor

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I can't even articulate why, but I think a burnt orange SEC logo looks much better than the Big 12 one. 

Because the SEC logo is iconic and the Big 12 logo looks like something you’d see on Gushers or Fruit by the Foot.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

2 hours ago, HookEm said:

I'm really hoping that we can sign JT Toppin. Which is a better pair of bigs in a smaller closing lineup:

• Dillon Mitchell - 6'8, 205 - 9.6 PTS, 7.5 TRB, 1.0 STL, 0.9 BLK, 58.5 FG%, 0.0 3P%, 59.8 FT%, 1.7 PF
  • Dylan Disu ---- 6'9, 225 - 15.5 PTS, 5.0 TRB, 1.1 STL, 0.9 BLK, 46.5 FG%, 45.1 3P%, 81.2 FT%, 3.4 PF

• Jayson Kent - 6'8, 205 - 13.5 PTS, 8.1 TRB, 0.7 STL, 0.5 BLK, 63.9 FG%, 36.6 3P%, 83.7 FT%, 2.6 PF
  • JT Toppin ---- 6'9, 210 - 12.4 PTS, 9.1 TRB, 1.1 STL, 1.9 BLK, 65.5 FG%, 34.4 3P%, 56.5 FG%, 2.6 PF

Even though Disu was 1st Team All-Big 12, the team wasn't constructed very well to take advantage of his strengths and minimize his weaknesses.  We tended to get abused by more physical teams, especially on the glass.  Disu was also constantly in foul trouble, which took him out of the game at critical moments. 

Kent and Toppin are a much better rebounding duo.  They can also BOTH knock down shots from outside the paint, so it should help spacing. 

We have to sign Toppin. Like... REALLY have to sign this guy.

I agree with the point of your post. However, while Toppin is very good, he measured in at 6'7 flat without shoes at the NBA combine (with over a 7'0 wingspan). Regardless, Toppin would be massive addition. We still need bigs - hopefully the UCLA transfer. Buyuktuncel is listed at 6'9, but no idea if that's a true measurement. Although, he's still very raw, and I'm not sure how much production we could expect.

48 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Because the SEC logo is iconic and the Big 12 logo looks like something you’d see on Gushers or Fruit by the Foot.

Leave my preferred stoned snacks out of this 

6 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Huh?  We beat #2 Gonzaga 93-74 at home in November 2022.  Am I misunderstanding your point?

Wasn’t Creighton highly ranked too that year?  Last years non conference schedule was a waste of my money for season tickets. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, CTC2 said:

Wasn’t Creighton highly ranked too that year?  Last years non conference schedule was a waste of my money for season tickets. 

Good call.  google says they were #7 when we (#2) beat them 72-67 in Austin (12/1/22).

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, MotownHorn said:

So what's Dillon Mitchell's deal? He hasn't transferred and doesn't seem to be a factor in the draft...

Miami, Auburn, or Cincinnati are potentials for his likely landing spot.

• Hook 'Em 1

In other news, the primary big we are targeting in the portal (JT Toppin) just had a good showing in a scrimmage at yesterday's NBA combine.  Looks like he could play himself into the 2nd round so it will come down to how bad he wants to play in the NBA versus NIL and the chance of improving his stock. 

• Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, VinyVango said:

In other news, the primary big we are targeting in the portal (JT Toppin) just had a good showing in a scrimmage at yesterday's NBA combine.  Looks like he could play himself into the 2nd round so it will come down to how bad he wants to play in the NBA versus NIL and the chance of improving his stock. 

While a Texas-sized bidding war for JT Toppin appears to be looming in the college ranks, the former UNM Lobo might just be putting that return-to-college thing to rest.

The power forward from Dallas had the only double-double of the day at Tuesday’s NBA Draft Combine in Chicago, which included 42 draft prospects across four teams playing two scrimmages.

Toppin, the media’s pick for Mountain West Freshman of the Year this past season after a historic freshman season for Richard Pitino’s UNM Lobos, had 11 points and 10 rebounds to go along with one block and one made 3-pointer in 19 minutes in an 89-81 win for his team, which included LeBron James’ son, Bronny James, in the starting lineup alongside Toppin.

Toppin’s eight offensive rebounds were three more than any other player on the offensive glass (West Virginia’s Jesse Edwards had five).

Former Mountain West players Keshad Johnson, who played this past season at Arizona after his first three at San Diego State, had seven points and two rebounds and former CSU wing Nique Clifford had five points and two rebounds.

Should Toppin decide he wants to return to college to play his sophomore season, he has until May 29 to withdraw from the NBA Draft, which takes place June 26 and 27.

47 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Toppin, the media’s pick for Mountain West Freshman of the Year this past season after a historic freshman season for Richard Pitino’s UNM Lobos, had 11 points and 10 rebounds to go along with one block and one made 3-pointer in 19 minutes in an 89-81 win for his team, which included LeBron James’ son, Bronny James, in the starting lineup alongside Toppin.

giphy.gif?cid=9b38fe91hn4bl9skvs2ge6e9ch

whichever “journalist” felt the need to add this to the story about Toppin should be looking for a new job tomorrow. 

I know Mitchell has holes in his game, but it feels like he'd still be vital if Toppin goes pro or transfers elsewhere.  Is his potential transfer really a vote of no confidence for RT?  Is this an NIL issue?  Other?

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I know Mitchell has holes in his game, but it feels like he'd still be vital if Toppin goes pro or transfers elsewhere.  Is his potential transfer really a vote of no confidence for RT?  Is this an NIL issue?  Other?

Uneducated guess I think he may want to get more touches on offense.  Won’t happen here

Given the fact that similar comments were made about Mitchell at this exact same time last year, and that despite all of the criticisms of him, he has demonstrated nothing but a positive attitude and seems to be a good teammate (ie driving down to support Jabari Rice at Gleague games), I wouldnt be surprised to see him back if the Toppin recruitment falls through.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

After the season ended some posters on here said the NIL people didn’t want to offer Hunter or Mitchell the NIL packages they got last year 

No idea if that’s accurate 

4 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

He really doesn’t have a choice given the lack of development in his offensive game. He’s got to try something else. 

3 hours ago, CTC2 said:

He really doesn’t have a choice given the lack of development in his offensive game. He’s got to try something else. 

Transfer forward Dillon Mitchell ranks Auburn in top-three following visit

Story by Brian Hauch       1 day ago

Former five-star recruit and Texas forward Dillon Mitchell came away with nothing but positive reviews following his visit to Auburn on Tuesday. The Tampa, Florida native, who visited Auburn during his high school recruitment, said his second trip to the Plains was "pretty dope".

More specifically, Mitchell cited the history of the winning culture the Tigers have enjoyed under head coach Bruce Pearl. That culture, along with the fact Pearl has developed players with the same skillset as Mitchell into NBA Draft picks, is the main reason the 6-foot-8 impending junior has Auburn listed in his top 3 destinations.

The talented forward specifically mentioned the career arc of former Tiger and current Cleveland Cavalier Issac Okoro. “Isaac Okoro, you look down the line of those big wings he’s gotten to the next level. That would be the ultimate decision as far as my decision to come here, if I were to come here. The history of Auburn, the history of Pearl, who he’s gotten to the next level, the winning culture, those are all things I’m looking at.”

Along with Auburn, Mitchell has Cincinnati and Miami listed among his top 3 schools. Out of those three, Mitchell's most direct path to stardom is likely with the Bearcats, as both Auburn (Johni Broome) and Miami (Norchad Omier) already roster uber-talented front-court options.

Even with Broome blocking Mitchell's chance to be "the guy" in Auburn, the forward sees himself as a fit on the Tigers roster, “They have a team full of position-less guys. Switching one through five, that’s one thing, I’m big on the defensive end. I can get out and guard and can run, a lot of things that fit my playing style.”

The coveted transfer is still days, and possibly weeks, away from making his decision, but he could be closer to becoming a Tiger after a successful visit. If Bruce Pearl was able to land his talents, Auburn's rotation would look to be almost set heading into next season.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Good for Mitchell. Glad he's going to Cinci. I didn't want to have to play him if he went to Auburn. 

I've been pretty consistent in thinking this is a bigger loss than most. He was really solid on defense and on the glass last year, and he is still young and improving. If we miss out on Toppin, I'm not sure we are going to replace him with someone better.

• Like 1

Good luck to Mitchell but I think a lot of people had an inflated opinion of his game. Ending up at a school who hasn't made the NCAA tournament in 5 years is all you need to know. I'm sure he will be given the opportunity to be "the guy" but he isn't that on a Sweet 16 caliber team. 

i think that both sides have valid points. the side that isn’t sad to see him go isn’t wrong about him as a player- dillon was extremely limited skill-wise, and simply did not have the year two growth spurt that you’re looking for in a guy with his rankings and physical attributes.

conversely, the people who think he’s a bigger loss than the people in group a aren’t wrong about that either. he’d have been in his third year in the program, he’d be a team leader, he’d be a solid-if-not-great contributor, and he’d be a guy who would deservedly play 20+ minutes for this team. 

at the end of the day this program doesn’t live and die with the dillon mitchell’s of the world. i’d have liked to have had him back, but i’m not going to mourn his loss. losing him will not affect our W/L record, and if it does then we were screwed even if he stayed. i wish him well…but not too well. just well.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Mitchell and Hunter ended up in good situations. 

Cincinnati has a good roster and just making the tournament is a win for them based on the last 5 years. Hunter is once again in a situation where he has legit guards (I.e. Haggerty) that can cover up his deficiencies at Memphis. 

I don't know, I always like watching Dillon play.  He seemed to be a good dude who tried, and his game definitely improved from year 1 to year 2.  Not everyone hits campus as an NBA power forward (and I realize he's unlikely to ever get there).

• Hook 'Em 2

One thing I appreciated about Mitchell is that he didn't try to play outside his skill set.  We didn't see him jack up tons of 3s at a 25% clip. Heck, he only shot 8 all year (granted he didn't make one, lol).  And he never really tried to "get his", despite being an NBA hopeful and very highly recruited prospect.

Last year he did double his scoring output and improved from 40% FT in 2023 to 54% last year out of conference and then to 69% in conference.  I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him with a decent midrange game next year and with his free throws up in the mid 70s.  And if he stays for another year after that, maybe he will eventually be able to hit a few 3s.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

That may be true on offense, but he was 2nd in the Big 12 in rebounding and his defense on the SEC POY Dalton Knect showed what he is capable of on that end (holding him to 27% from the field and 3 TOs).  

And with that, I will end my Dillon Mitchell fanboi posts.  Best of luck to him.

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, definitely not derka said:

dillon mitchell is a fine role player, nothing more. he will always be the 4th/5th option in the floor for a S16 caliber team. 

Well, he was pretty effective on an E8 (and likely F4) team as a freshman, and got better the next year, so no, I don't think he was exactly a spare.

Edited by jimmyjazz

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Well, he was pretty effective on an E8 (and likely F4) team as a freshman, and got better the next year, so no, I don't think he was exactly a spare.

Mitchell hardly played when it mattered on the Elite 8 team. 

13 minutes, 11 minutes, 9 minutes, and 10 minutes in the NCAA tournament. I'm not sure it's even proven yet that Mitchell can be your 4th or 5th best player on an Elite 8/Sweet 16 caliber team. Texas practically benched him on that caliber team his FR season. 

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

11 mpg is "practically benched"?  Dude was a freshman who got better the next year.  I'm not buying the argument.

Mitchell is not a spare because he definitely improved his Sophomore season. He also wasn't a major contributor to that Elite 8 team, at all, by the end of the season. It was even debated heavily on here if Mitchell should have been getting 10 to 12 minutes a game at the end of the '22-23 season. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

OK, I'm out.  We're splitting hairs.  

the difference in being a fine role player and being a spare is not splitting hairs, it’s two completely different players/roles. 

fine role players: doj balbay, gary johnson, connor lammert, demarcus holland 

spares: jd lewis, gerald liddell, devin askew, matt hill

good role players have a role to play on good teams. spares don’t.

• Hook 'Em 2

I get your point, but Dillon Mitchell had a significantly better sophomore year than any of those dudes. He will likely lead the Big 12 in rebounding next year. Nobody should consider that a spare, and it really stretches the definition of role player.

This is why it is best for all parties for him to move on. He will likely never hit expectations here (I.e. play like a top-5 recruit). But he is already a solid role player at a minimum with two years to improve, and huge athletic upside.

As an aside, Gary Johnson was 3rd team All Big 12 as a senior. And Dogus Balbay was Big 12 DPOY. At their peak they were more than role players, even though they weren’t stars. Was Ben Wallace a role player just because he averaged like 10 ppg and couldn’t shoot free throws?

On 5/15/2024 at 3:11 PM, MuellerHorn said:

I agree with the point of your post. However, while Toppin is very good, he measured in at 6'7 flat without shoes at the NBA combine (with over a 7'0 wingspan). Regardless, Toppin would be massive addition. We still need bigs - hopefully the UCLA transfer. Buyuktuncel is listed at 6'9, but no idea if that's a true measurement. Although, he's still very raw, and I'm not sure how much production we could expect.

I literally have never understood why you measure a basketball player without shoes. At no point will they ever play barefoot. It’s one of the dumbest things they do. Unless we’re having a game at their house without shoes I don’t see the point. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, HookEm said:

really stretches the definition of role player.

a guy who absolutely cannot shoot, can’t take people off the dribble, and can’t facilitate is a role player. he’s a good rebounder and rim runner, but he’s still an extremely limited player on offense. at times it’s 4 on 5 on that end when he’s in the game. until he can reliably score he’ll be a role player in the big xii.

Edited by definitely not derka