Texas Basketball 2024-25

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Was Ben Wallace a role player just because he averaged like 10 ppg and couldn’t shoot free throws?

ben wallace is one of the greatest defenders in nba history, dillon mitchell is an unremarkable, random big xii wing who has to play he’s like a center because he’s so limited offensively. lets not get carried away here. 

Edited by definitely not derka
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, HookEm said:

and it really stretches the definition of role player.

Lol wut. He has elite athleticism, he’s a good rebounder and a solid defender and that’s it. He hurts your offense just being on the floor and you can’t have him in late in games because he’s a horrible FT shooter for his size . In what world is he anything more than a role player? 

• Hook 'Em 1

I just think people overweight scoring the basketball when judging a player. 

Lets say you have a guy averaging 18 PPG, on 43% FG, while committing over 3 TOs a game and the guy refuses to play a lick of defense or rebound.  People will call him a "gunner" and overlook the fact that he is one dimensional, and probably a net negative.  Then you have a guy like Mitchell, who is #2 in the conference in rebounding, #9 in FG%, who plays borderline all-conference defense, and barely turns the ball over.  This guy is considered a "role player" and is viewed to be inferior to the other player.  Mitchell will win you more than the other guy.

And I'm not saying he doesn't have limitations. I'm just saying we weigh offensive limitations way way more than defensive limitations. And even on offense, he plays within his game. He was 4th on the team in scoring with pretty solid efficiency.

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, HookEm said:

And I'm not saying he doesn't have limitations. I'm just saying we weigh offensive limitations way way more than defensive limitations.

as we should. it’s not the 80’s anymore. offense is what wins games and championships. you used to be able to employ players who were a black hole on offense when the game was slow paced, played in the half court, and revolved around big men. it’s the opposite now. if you’re a wing player who’s not a threat to score outside of three feet then you’re a hindrance to your team on offense and you are definitely nothing more than a role player. guys who look like mitchell are supposed to have handle, driving ability, a jump shot, and the ability to set up their teammates. dillon mitchell gets rebounds and scores on dunks. that’s it. he’s essentially the definition of a role player.

Edited by definitely not derka
  • Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Let’s say you have a guy averaging 18 PPG, on 43% FG, while committing over 3 TOs a game and the guy refuses to play a lick of defense or rebound.  People will call him a "gunner" and overlook the fact that he is one dimensional, and probably a net negative.  Then you have a guy like Mitchell, who is #2 in the conference in rebounding, #9 in FG%, who plays borderline all-conference defense, and barely turns the ball over.  This guy is considered a "role player" and is viewed to be inferior to the other player.  Mitchell will win you more than the other guy.

dillon mitchell will win you more games than j’covan brown? than jordan hamilton? i don’t think so. also lol at referencing his FG% as some big plus when it’s actually a glaring negative. he shoots a high percentage because all of his shots come from dunking range, despite him physically being a prototypical wing. he would be at the bottom of the league in FG% if he actually played his natural position and was asked to handle the ball and shoot jumpers off the dribble. instead he’s a three who plays as a small five due to his total lack of an offensive game. give me j’civan brown and jordan hamilton all day over dillon mitchell.

28 minutes ago, definitely not derka said:

dillon mitchell will win you more games than j’covan brown? than jordan hamilton? i don’t think so. also lol at referencing his FG% as some big plus when it’s actually a glaring negative. he shoots a high percentage because all of his shots come from dunking range, despite him physically being a prototypical wing.

Dillon Mitchell was our small ball power forward for the vast majority of his minutes.  He got very few minutes at the 3 over the last two years.  If you think of him as a Rodman type forward (granted he isn't nearly that good) who rebounds and defends 3 positions, he is has a lot of value.  

Obviously J'Covan Brown is a better player, but he isn't exactly the type of player I'm talking about as he contributed in a lot of areas (and scored 20 PPG).  That said, when Brown was our primary weapon in 2012, we finished the season as a damn 11 seed and lost in the first round. So yeah, maybe having a ball hog leading scorer who shoots 41% FG isn't the best recipe for success.  

Jordan Hamilton was also a decent defender by the time he graduated and also got almost 8 board per game.  I mean, he was an All American for goodness sake. That's not the "gunner" type of player I'm talking about.

I'm talking about the Sheldon McClellans of the world who led our team at 13.8 PPG on 38% shooting.  Give me Dillon Mitchell all day every day over players like that.

Oh well. He gon.

11 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I literally have never understood why you measure a basketball player without shoes. At no point will they ever play barefoot. It’s one of the dumbest things they do. Unless we’re having a game at their house without shoes I don’t see the point. 

image.thumb.jpeg.1993e38d6816709a1124e0a58b80d8da.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, HookEm said:

Dillon Mitchell was our small ball power forward for the vast majority of his minutes.  He got very few minutes at the 3 over the last two years.  If you think of him as a Rodman type forward (granted he isn't nearly that good) who rebounds and defends 3 positions, he is has a lot of value.  

Oh well. He gon.

Dillon was an average defender, good rebounder and a huge liability on offense.  Trying to use his shooting percentage as a plus is laughable -- somebody find his shot chart and it will be obvious.  I don't even consider Dillon that good of a screener or passer.

That's why he needed to go to a team/coach that will better use his athletic skills and develop his deficiencies

He's just too much of an offensive liability, and not currently the quality defender that Texas needs on our roster with RT as our head coach.  

• Hook 'Em 1

I only cite his FG% as a plus to show that he plays within his strengths. He is a rim runner and dunker, nothing more at this stage. And I never used his FG% to claim otherwise. 

It is good to have Derka back. This thread was getting stale.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hermanator said:

Nah, those shoes are Timmy Allen or whoever that is on the left side of the picture

But Disu got the white socks with black shoes down. CDC should invest in some people to teach the athletes how to dress. Do they still do the table manners thing? 

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

But Disu got the white socks with black shoes down. CDC should invest in some people to teach the athletes how to dress. Do they still do the table manners thing? 

I'd be very very surprised. 

"Come here young negros and we'll show you how to dress and behave like proper white men" doesn't seem like it would fly well in 2024

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

His dad is an "interesting" dresser as well so that's probably where he gets it from

32 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

I'd be very very surprised. 

"Come here young negros and we'll show you how to dress and behave like proper white men" doesn't seem like it would fly well in 2024

Was definitely a Mack thing. The whole etiquette thing at formal dinners so the players knew how to socialize with the BMDs basically. Probably much more informal socializing now 

You know high waters were never a fashion statement, other than telegraphing that you were from poor stock and wore hand me downs or your family couldn't afford to keep a growing kid in clothes.  But just the past year or so, it's coming on.  That and the expensive dress shoe and no socks.    But then i never got the whole sagging thing.  The only thing I have that meets today's fashion are couple of pair of old overalls that are faded and worn by wear, not bought that way, lol.     It's not reallly a racial thing, that look Disu is sporting, is it?

17 hours ago, Js1 said:

You’re old lol

Posted (edited)

Gerry regarding Toppin this morning 

“If the price is accurate to what I heard this morning … Texas won’t go there“

Also said Tech is desperate on this one after missing out on some other guys.

Edited by Hookem2147

3 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Gerry regarding Toppin this morning 

“If the price is accurate to what I heard this morning … Texas won’t go there“

Also said Tech is desperate on this one after missing out on some other guys.

Texas is desperate too. RT may need to pass the hat to land this guy, unless there are other compelling bigs out there on our radar.

I don't understand NIL beyond a very basic level -- what exactly would we be saving NIL money for?  If we have it, why not pay it?  Are we looking for additional basketball players?  Does the NIL "budget" cross sport boundaries?

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

Gerry:

"I would just say this … Texas has an NIL salary cap. 

There isn’t Arky/Ky/L’ville level NIL juice" 

I know nothing, but self-imposing a cap when you are one of the big dogs seems a bit stupid.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

Tech missed out on a slew of guys that would take a part of the NIL pie, including several to Texas

Texas had to use NIL on Johnson, Codie, and the 5 portal players we have already signed. Gerry speculates that Tech has offered Toppin over $1.2M, which is more than what he would get on a two-way NBA contract. That is also more than what Tre Johnson got and Texas isn't willing to go over that number for a guy that isn't a sure fire lottery pick like Tre will be.

Just like Sarkisian with the football NIL, you have to be smart how you allocate it. Tech is being stupid and desperate.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, Herpa Derpa said:

I know nothing, but self-imposing a cap when you are one of the big dogs seems a bit stupid.

It probably goes back to the conversations had during the football portal window about Texas being very competitive but not wanting to be stupid to reset the market for a single guy.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Tech is being stupid and desperate.

Also you know they wanted a “win” over Texas 

Such small peen syndrome 

• Hook 'Em 1

Oof this Toppin news is really bad. He is exactly what we need. I really don't want more than about 20 minutes of Shedrick and 5 minutes of Onyema.  Even better would be 15 minutes of Shedrick and 0 minutes of Onyema.

What other bigs are out there?

2 hours ago, HookEm said:

Oof this Toppin news is really bad. He is exactly what we need. I really don't want more than about 20 minutes of Shedrick and 5 minutes of Onyema.  Even better would be 15 minutes of Shedrick and 0 minutes of Onyema.

What other bigs are out there?

I'm 6'1" and have 4 years of eligibility left

Again, I'm unaware of all the machinations, but if the kid gets $X from Tech (as opposed to us) then the market just got reset.  We just don't want to be the ones doing it?

I think the whole thing is out of whack but if we're gonna play, then play.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 5/21/2024 at 9:20 PM, jimmyjazz said:

Again, I'm unaware of all the machinations, but if the kid gets $X from Tech (as opposed to us) then the market just got reset.  We just don't want to be the ones doing it?

I think the whole thing is out of whack but if we're gonna play, then play.

It sounds like the same strategy as football.  It's already been stated both with football and with Brandon Garrison that Texas isn't going to pay something ludicrous for a player, and some of these guys are demanding a ridiculous amount of money.

Someone will pay, but I assume it lessens their options as schools balk at some of the numbers. 

we’re not going to jump stupid for someone who is anything less than a generational talent. just because you have a lot of money doesn’t mean you should spend any price for every single thing that you want. also this is Texas, not arkansas or ole miss. we’re not trying to be the highest bidder for every recruit out there, we want guys who actually really want to be here. we have five starters and 7-8 guys total who actually matter. if we can’t fill out those spots with great players who want to be here then we’ve got bigger issues than missing out on a random, merely good player who is only looking for a payday. 

5 hours ago, definitely not derka said:

we’re not going to jump stupid for someone who is anything less than a generational talent. just because you have a lot of money doesn’t mean you should spend any price for every single thing that you want. also this is Texas, not arkansas or ole miss. we’re not trying to be the highest bidder for every recruit out there, we want guys who actually really want to be here. we have five starters and 7-8 guys total who actually matter. if we can’t fill out those spots with great players who want to be here then we’ve got bigger issues than missing out on a random, merely good player who is only looking for a payday. 

You're not wrong, but at the same time without another starter quality big this team simply will not matter and you've paid however much for Mark, Johnson, Pope, etc for no return. Ya you're overpaying for one player, but that one player makes the team way more functional and dangerous. Shedrick isn't exactly exactly a paragon of health and if he misses any time at all we're beyond fucked.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, definitely not derka said:

I’m not taking a shot but I’m always mildly amused when people act all frugal with for the most part, the money of super rich people who are footing the bill for NIL.  I thought we were Texas and could do this type of thing. Not saying overpaying for this guy was the thing to do but he apparently was the big man who the staff thought could most help us so why not?  We need a productive big man so our other efforts won’t go to waste. If Tito or some other rich guy wants to foot the bill who cares?

6 hours ago, definitely not derka said:

Show me where we were trying to be the highest bidder for every recruit out there? It’s not even clear why you’re making this assumption. 

Paying a premium for one player so it increases the outcome of the team is worth it regardless of price. No one will care what price you pay the player once the season starts, especially if that player is worth more wins and a weekend more in the tournament. 

If we aren’t flexing our muscle in this regard, then some of you need to reevaluate your expectations under Terry. 

• Hook 'Em 3