Texas Basketball 2024-25

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, UTEE97 said:

Abmas was lighting it up in a non-p5 conference but that didn't translate well to big 12. 

He was the 3rd leading scorer in the entire conference, my dude. 5th in FG% and 2nd in 3-point %

Edited by MotownHorn
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, realgreggym said:

You're backtracking faster than a Port Lavaca sand crab. You never answered my question about the kid

from Northern Colorado. You probably thought that he was low hanging fruit.

Do you not understand what low hanging fruit means? Google says: 

"Low-hanging fruit" is a metaphor that refers to tasks that are easy to accomplish, require minimal effort, and provide immediate rewards.

In business, the phrase is used to describe projects that a team or employee can easily and quickly complete before moving on to more challenging work. For example, a company might identify low-hanging fruit projects that should be a priority, such as high impact, low effort projects."

Yes, I believe we got the low hanging fruits. Feel free to disagree. 

Edited by UTEE97

4 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

"Low-hanging fruit" is a metaphor that refers to tasks that are easy to accomplish, require minimal effort, and provide immediate rewards.

In business, the phrase is used to describe projects that a team or employee can easily and quickly complete before moving on to more challenging work. For example, a company might identify low-hanging fruit projects that should be a priority, such as high impact, low effort projects."

I know exactly what the term means. You meant it as a negative because these

kids were not from a P5 school. You still haven't answered my question.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, realgreggym said:

I know exactly what the term means. You meant it as a negative because these

kids were not from a P5 school. You still haven't answered my question.

Well, that's because you're an idiot and I can't help you with that.

• Fuck You 1

Is this where we brag about being on a UT Engineering Advisory Board?  Cool cool.  I am too. Big deal. 

Honestly, Surly is one of the last places you want to start a dick measuring contest, especially as an engineer. Half of this site are engineers, and because we all went to a top-10 engineering school most of us are accomplished.  FFS, can we not talk about basketball?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

The ISU players are there for a role, they aren’t the replacements for Disu and Abmas, and no one ever claimed they were.

Tramon Mark is closer to that, and hopefully Pope and someone like Garrison joins him.

With that said, calling all non-P5 transfers low-hanging fruit is lazy and reductionist. We just saw a Final 4 filled with non-P5 transfers.

Edited by Lonestar88
  • Hook 'Em 1

I took the top 40 players in each of the major sites to build something of a consensus portal rank.  So, if someone was in the top-40 they made my list and then I filled in their respective rank for the rest of the sites.  Here is how it shakes out...

image.thumb.png.7fbd660c313827265d39dcd8180c0390.png

Here are some additional players plus our signees:

image.png.bd8f9609e255bb2047997ae0d4253cd5.png

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, UTEE97 said:

You couldn't be more wrong about Larry being "low-hanging fruit." Major programs like Duke, Kansas, and Baylor were all involved in his recruitment. You seem to presume that just because a player comes from a non-P5 program it's "easy to accomplish" (I.e. land those recruits).

Big programs throughout the country want non-P5 players. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Moreover, there are over 1,700 players in the transfer portal.  Mark is ranked as high a 9, Larry as high as 40, and Kent as high as 79.  If we can pick up Garrison and Pope, that is two more that are top-30 on a lot of lists.  That is a fantastic haul.

More important than the individual pieces though will be how they fit and play together.  Last year, the sum wasn't better than the parts - and it wasn't even really about player development or coaching. They just didn't fit that well together.  Abmas and Hunter is a very limited backcourt.  And Shedrick, Mitchell, Disu is a pretty soft interior.  Just replacing a couple of those pieces with comparable players that fit different needs would have made a world of difference.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, HookEm said:

I took the top 40 players in each of the major sites to build something of a consensus portal rank.  So, if someone was in the top-40 they made my list and then I filled in their respective rank for the rest of the sites.  Here is how it shakes out...

image.thumb.png.7fbd660c313827265d39dcd8180c0390.png

Here are some additional players plus our signees:

image.png.bd8f9609e255bb2047997ae0d4253cd5.png

This would be interesting to compare to last year's list of the same range of rankings. 

Posted (edited)

The big thing Kent provides is he's excellent at moving off-the-ball/back door cuts. We had a major issue  at getting to and finishing at the rim this past season. 

Kent scored on 37/41 dunks and 149/193 close shots. He's very efficient at the rim and he gets to the rim much more than any player we had on last year's roster. Now we will see how that translates at the P5 level but he's a type player we definitely need on the roster. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed
  • Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

The big thing Kent provides is he's excellent at moving off-the-ball/back door cuts. We had a major issue  at getting to and finishing at the rim this past season. 

Kent scored on 37/41 dunks and 149/193 close shots. He's very efficient at the rim and he gets to the rim much more than any player we had on last year's roster. Now we will see how that translates at the P5 level but he's a type player we definitely need on the roster. 

A lot of the time the guy on the receiving end of those backdoor cuts this past season was Brock and he was unwilling to even attempted contested layups when he was down there. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, HookEm said:

Boom...

image.thumb.png.603a0d7ac13f6c505a38282e6a5cd64e.png

The main guy I wanted to check out was Dalton Knecht and I swear that both Rivals and 24-7 changed their rankings because they were more inline with Sports Grid and On3 when I looked it up earlier this season. Even The Athletic had him in the lower teens if not the 20s. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

34 minutes ago, HookEm said:

That is part of the reason I wanted to snapshot it early in the process. 

Not sure what links you're using but I'd assume there are snapshots you can find using archive.ph or archive.org that you can choose the dates from

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, VinyVango said:

next year versus UCONN in Austin should provide a good coaching barometer/comparison since both Hurley and Terry will be retooling most of their rosters. 

I'm not a betting man.  I'm thinking about starting.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

Neutral site against Ohio State, UConn at home and that mini-tournament in Brooklyn already on the schedule? Get ready for a lot of Houston Christian matchups outside of that.

I mean, yeah, probably, but having the defending back to back champs in your building is a good attendance booster.  As for the SEC schedule:

• Regular season: Each season a team will play two permanent opponents home and away, one rotating opponent home and away, plus the 12 remaining teams in single contests either home or away, for a total of 18 conference games.

So let's assume our two permanent opponents home/away will be aggy and OU and our one rotating opponent home/away is going to be either Ole Miss, Arky or Tennessee.  So our home schedule so far is likely:

• Defending back to back champs
  • Permanent opponents: aggy and OU
  • Rotating: one of Ole Miss, arky or Tennessee (Beard, Barnes or a historic rival) is my guess
  • 6 other SEC teams TBD

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

Neutral site against Ohio State, UConn at home and that mini-tournament in Brooklyn already on the schedule? Get ready for a lot of Houston Christian matchups outside of that.

So a standard non-conference basketball schedule, got it. 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

As for the SEC schedule: So let's assume our two permanent opponents home/away will be aggy and OU and our one rotating opponent home/away is going to be either Ole Miss, Arky or Tennessee.  So our home schedule so far is likely:

That could give us a home schedule like this (plus whatever terrible nonconference filler they give us):

• #1 UCONN
  • #4 Auburn
  • #14 Alabama
  • #26 Florida
  • #35 Aggy - Permanent Rival
  • #46 Oklahoma - Permanent Rival
  • #54 South Carolina
  • #84 Georgia
  • #108 Arkansas - Rotating H/A
  • #183Vanderbilt

This year we played:

• #2 UH
  • #8 Iowa State
  • #15 Baylor
  • #31 Tech
  • #46 Oklahoma
  • #66 UCF
  • #70 K-State
  • #117 Okie State
  • #144 WV

Even though the SEC isn't quite as good of a basketball conference, that looks like a more interesting home schedule to me. And it could get more interesting if we get Tennessee or Ole Miss at home.  

1 hour ago, HookEm said:

That could give us a home schedule like this (plus whatever terrible nonconference filler they give us):

• #1 UCONN
  • #4 Auburn
  • #14 Alabama
  • #26 Florida
  • #35 Aggy - Permanent Rival
  • #46 Oklahoma - Permanent Rival
  • #54 South Carolina
  • #84 Georgia
  • #108 Arkansas - Rotating H/A
  • #183Vanderbilt

This year we played:

• #2 UH
  • #8 Iowa State
  • #15 Baylor
  • #31 Tech
  • #46 Oklahoma
  • #66 UCF
  • #70 K-State
  • #117 Okie State
  • #144 WV

Even though the SEC isn't quite as good of a basketball conference, that looks like a more interesting home schedule to me. And it could get more interesting if we get Tennessee or Ole Miss at home.  

The atmosphere for teams like Bama, aggy, arkansas, Tenn, Ole Miss >>>>> UCF, KST, OKST, WV

4 hours ago, VinyVango said:

next year versus UCONN in Austin should provide a good coaching barometer/comparison since both Hurley and Terry will be retooling most of their rosters. 

I think we all know how that will measure out. 

IMG_4982.thumb.jpeg.03a176b5280b8c718b2782150cda61d8.jpeg

• Haha 2

On 4/22/2024 at 6:16 AM, Rickylovesweed said:

You couldn't be more wrong about Larry being "low-hanging fruit." Major programs like Duke, Kansas, and Baylor were all involved in his recruitment. You seem to presume that just because a player comes from a non-P5 program it's "easy to accomplish" (I.e. land those recruits).

Big programs throughout the country want non-P5 players. 

I think his presumption is that anyone that would play for Rodney is low hanging fruit.  

7 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Gerry with a Brandon Garrison update

BTW, looks like Brandon Garrison will visit Arkansas this weekend - as of today. That's not the most comforting news for Texas, OU or OkState. We shall see what happens.

I think Calipari and the Hunts and whomever will pay what it takes on this one. 

1 minute ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

Trilly says Pope is in the boat. Get a 5 and maybe the AF kid for depth and we’re golden

I don't know who "Trilly" is but them coming out and declaring that isn't conducive for preventing something stupid at the end of that recruitment.

2 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Gerry with a Brandon Garrison update

BTW, looks like Brandon Garrison will visit Arkansas this weekend - as of today. That's not the most comforting news for Texas, OU or OkState. We shall see what happens.

In the early days of NIL discussions, Arkansas was tagged as a school that could conceivably graduate from the outhouse to the penthouse, due to the number of big dollar folks in that area: the Walton family tentacles, the Tyson chicken tentacles, the logistics company guy, Jerry Jones, etc. And because they are all a bunch of hillbillies, splashing around cash in college football for bragging rights fits the narrative. 

18 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I don't know who "Trilly" is but them coming out and declaring that isn't conducive for preventing something stupid at the end of that recruitment.

An insider who likes to break news, a la Slim Mulkey on the women's side.

7 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

In the early days of NIL discussions, Arkansas was tagged as a school that could conceivably graduate from the outhouse to the penthouse, due to the number of big dollar folks in that area: the Walton family tentacles, the Tyson chicken tentacles, the logistics company guy, Jerry Jones, etc. And because they are all a bunch of hillbillies, splashing around cash in college football for bragging rights fits the narrative. 

They've been focused on other sports besides football. The Hunt Family and the Stephens people are important to mention. Part of why Musselman left is that allegedly the NIL backers went to austerity on him for 2025. Calipari negotiated a healthy pot to work with, if you believe the rumbings and such. 

When Pittman is hoisted by an industrial crane and dropped on his hippo-sized fat ass just beyond campus property lines, I assume the enthusiasm for the next guy will spur some significant pressure in NIL for a cycle or two in football.