Houston Astros 2024 Season Thread

Planet Houston

I love all the "they should bunt" stuff.  Yes, in 1995 they should have.  No one in the MLB consistently bunts anymore.  It's fucking hard and the harder pitchers throw the harder it gets.  The math often isn't there for it either, especially when you have the heart of your order up.  

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, uoftorange said:

I love all the "they should bunt" stuff.  Yes, in 1995 they should have.  No one in the MLB consistently bunts anymore.  It's fucking hard and the harder pitchers throw the harder it gets.  The math often isn't there for it either, especially when you have the heart of your order up.  

Agreed almost completely with this. Especially middle of the order guys/ they shouldn’t be able to do it. 
I would like to see shitty hitters learn to do it well even if it’s only a couple times a year as an extra tool in the bag, but year/ it’s tougher by far than people think. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Kessinger SHOULD be the best bunter we have on the team and could have PH for Chas in the 9th to put one down

but ChIcKs DiG tHe LoNgBaLl 

(and when I say should I mean he has nothing fucking else to do....master bunting fuckhead)

Edited by Scraps
  • Hook 'Em 5

1 minute ago, Scraps said:

Kessinger SHOULD be the best bunter we have on the team and could have PH for Chas in the 9th to put one down

but ChIcKs DiG tHe LoNgBaLl 

(and when I say should I mean he has nothing fucking else to do....master bunting fuckhead)

Agreed. Also put me down as team bunt 

Posted (edited)

Yeah, with Manfred ball going on what, year 5?, there is no excuse for a team not to have a 26th man that is your designated bunter.

no, you’re probably never going to bunt your 1-5 guys, but that still leaves a 44% chance that you’re going to be in a position to use your “designated bunter” to get the winning run to third with 1 out in extras. 
in fact, it should probably be mandatory to use him when the bottom half of your order is up to start an inning and you’re the home team.

but hey, we’re now 3-4 in extras this year!

Edited by UTexasFight
  • Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

They need to send Loperfido back down if he's not going to play regularly.  Collecting splinters is fine for Kessinger and Cabbage, but not for someone they still have hopes for.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 3

33 minutes ago, kevwun said:

They need to send Loperfido back down if he's not going to play regularly.  Collecting splinters is fine for Kessinger and Cabbage, but not for someone they still have hopes for.

It would help if they'd stop playing Dubon in the OF.  I'm afraid Loperfido is going down when Abreu comes back.

8 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

The Astros will start Justin Verlander on Friday, Spencer Arrighetti on Saturday and Ronel Blanco on Sunday against the A’s.

So that put Urquidy to either take Brown’s start on Wednesday or Arrighetti’s next start next Friday?

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

And Singleton can play acceptable defense.  It fucks up the entire infield when they are all worried about having to make perfect throws so Jeff Bagwell's lovechild can hopefully manage to catch them.

Edited by kevwun
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

José Abreu will remain in West Palm Beach and play FCL games today and tomorrow before reporting to Triple-A Sugar Land this weekend, Joe Espada said.

Man, the fact that they are making him go to sugarland got me super excited. That’s how low the bar was when I heard Brown talk about him being back in Oakland on the Sunday morning pregame the other day.

I don’t recall any mention of that and was accepting him coming straight back to the team….. so there is still hope!

• Like 1
  • Drool 1

4 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

Yeah, obviously 2023 Abreu would be a best case scenario, and that isn't happening. Plus using Singleton just means they are finally getting some value out of the Hunter Pence trade!

I love these kind of posts.

Like the baseball equivalent of “10th President John Tyler’s grandson is still alive”

If Singleton could mix in a few well hit balls into the gaps he would really be a plus. His all or nothing swings seem to result in soft miss hit grounders or go over the fence. But he consistently has 7-10 pitch at bats, walks frequently and it may be that the more he contributes, the more comfortable he gets being a part of it, the better he is getting. Even showing a little emotion lately. Or I could be wishful thinking. He’s hitting about Evan Gattis range without the triples. But his spot in the lineup and the field is not a black hole at least and if Bregman ever gets going it will be fine for now. I’m more worried about Javier than Singleton at the moment. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Mitch Hedberg said:

If Singleton could mix in a few well hit balls into the gaps he would really be a plus. His all or nothing swings seem to result in soft miss hit grounders or go over the fence. But he consistently has 7-10 pitch at bats, walks frequently and it may be that the more he contributes, the more comfortable he gets being a part of it, the better he is getting. Even showing a little emotion lately. Or I could be wishful thinking. He’s hitting about Evan Gattis range without the triples. But his spot in the lineup and the field is not a black hole at least and if Bregman ever gets going it will be fine for now. I’m more worried about Javier than Singleton at the moment. 

Singleton walks a lot more than Gattis did, hits the ball a little harder (better avg EV and better hard-hit %), and barrels it just as much.  He does not slug as much because of a difference in launch angle, but they are very similarly productive hitters.  If Singleton can figure out how to keep the ball off the ground without sacrificing in other areas, he would be a elite hitter, similar to somebody like Rafael Devers from the Red Sox.

Anyway, until he has a prolonged slump that proves he can’t maintain or improve his current production it is really stupid not to play him 85% of the games.  Any fan would 100% sign up for prime Evan Gattis at 1B right now.

Edited by Snake Diggity
  • Hook 'Em 1

Not watching.

but a manager can challenge a totally Judgemental call of whether a guy is blocking a plate, but not a totally Judgemental call of whether a guy checked his swing?

or a totally not Judgemental call like catcher’s interference?

I really don’t understand MLB’s review rules