Houston Astros 2024 Season Thread

Planet Houston

I keep hearing people say that the Astros' bats are fine but they're worried about the pitching.  I don't get it.

Since the last game of the series at NYY, we've played 16 games and only had two bad pitching performances: Javier's first game back from injury in Detroit and Framber's meltdown against the Angels.

In those 16 games we've had six bad offensive performances in terms of runs: 2, 2 (in 10 innings), 3, 2, 1, and 1 (today).

And I know sample size and everything, but even when the pitching was atrocious earlier in the season, it's not like we were scoring in bunches.  The Braves/Nats/Cubs stretch, we scored 1, 2, 4 (10 innings), 5, 4 (10 innings), 0, 2, 3, 1.

I guess I'm spoiled.  If this is one of the best hitting teams in baseball, I'd hate to root for one of the worst.

10 minutes ago, Welch said:

I keep hearing people say that the Astros' bats are fine but they're worried about the pitching.  I don't get it.

Since the last game of the series at NYY, we've played 16 games and only had two bad pitching performances: Javier's first game back from injury in Detroit and Framber's meltdown against the Angels.

In those 16 games we've had six bad offensive performances in terms of runs: 2, 2 (in 10 innings), 3, 2, 1, and 1 (today).

And I know sample size and everything, but even when the pitching was atrocious earlier in the season, it's not like we were scoring in bunches.  The Braves/Nats/Cubs stretch, we scored 1, 2, 4 (10 innings), 5, 4 (10 innings), 0, 2, 3, 1.

I guess I'm spoiled.  If this is one of the best hitting teams in baseball, I'd hate to root for one of the worst.

We're the 3rd best hitting team.  We've had some shitty sequencing.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, WBT said:

We are shitty in RISP and moving runners along, we are also a very bad baserunning team. Add those things together and we get men on base but don't score them.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, WBT said:

Fair.

But I still I don’t get the whole “I’m not concerned about this thing (not scoring any runs) that happens multiple times every week… I’m more concerned about this other thing (pitching) that has actually been pretty consistent for the past few weeks and hopefully should get even better as everyone gets healthy.”

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Welch said:

Fair.

But I still I don’t get the whole “I’m not concerned about this thing (not scoring any runs) that happens multiple times every week… I’m more concerned about this other thing (pitching) that has actually been pretty consistent for the past few weeks and hopefully should get even better as everyone gets healthy.”

The offense is a real concern. Altuve, Bregman, and Alvarez are all in prolonged slumps. Diaz is suffering from sophomore slump, and McCormick has been injured and pretty unremarkable when he has played. That's not even counting relying on one of the worst 1B tandems in the league.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

The offense is a real concern. Altuve, Bregman, and Alvarez are all in prolonged slumps. Diaz is suffering from sophomore slump, and McCormick has been injured and pretty unremarkable when he has played. That's not even counting relying on one of the worst 1B tandems in the league.

Offense you say ????

This Is Fine GIF

• Rage+1 2

Granted no one has invested $60m in me with $40m still left to go, but if I sucked at my job I really doubt my PIP would would be nearly so full of support and encouragement as Abreu’s seems to have been…

• Haha 2

Crane owes him a lot of money, I’m pulling for him to just hit .250 consistently and play better defense. Being a solid combo at first with singeleton

crying and bitching is just wasting time, until crane has had enough 

Posted (edited)

I’m resigned to the fact we’re going to have to watch him struggle with staying above the Maldonado line until the All Star Break …and just hope the 10% of the time he succeeds it’s with RISP when the rest of the team can’t and the 90% of the time he doesn’t, it’s with no one on and 0 or 2 outs. 

Edited by UTexasFight
  • Hook 'Em 1

Crane owes him a lot of money, I’m pulling for him to just hit .250 consistently and play better defense. Being a solid combo at first with singeleton
crying and bitching is just wasting time, until crane has had enough 
Lmao .250. Yeah right
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, runthebone said:

Sitting behind home plate, and Blanco's slider looks like it had a great spin rate today.  Pounding the zone.  Fuck the As.

It's weird he can still pitch well without the stickiest glove in the history of baseball according to that ump.