BYU @ Texas Series Thread

Horny Bull

We are fucked if LBJ can’t figure it out. You can’t get negative performances every Friday.

Just now, The_Great_Hornsby said:

I dont even care about RPI anymore. This team's roof is a regional 2 seed. They suck. 

We’ve hosted supers as a regional 2 seed.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, hobbes2702 said:

We are fucked if LBJ can’t figure it out. You can’t get negative performances every Friday.

Move him to Sunday starter. He can probably win that game. 

1 minute ago, hobbes2702 said:

We’ve hosted supers as a regional 2 seed.

This team would need an act of God to win a regional. 

• Hook 'Em 4

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, chase25 said:

Sucks that for the 2nd year in a row we are talking about how different this teams ceiling could look with a true Friday night shut down arm, whiffing in the portal again.

Lucas Gordon was the Big 12 pitcher of the year last year and we went 7-2 in his conference starts. He was a Friday night guy.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 1

3 minutes ago, chase25 said:

Sucks that for the 2nd year in a row we are talking about how different this teams ceiling could look with a true Friday night shut down arm, whiffing in the portal again.

whiffing on a lot of things damn it

giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, chase25 said:

Wut? This is the first time in a long time that we haven’t had a legit Friday night guy.

LBJ still can be that guy, he’s shown he can for one night, but I do think he’s done as a real lockdown starter. 

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Every time we give up more than like 5 runs we score less than 5. Have we played in a high scoring back and forth 10-8 type game since that finale against Tech?

It’s more that we can’t hit Friday guys (not new for Pierce teams) and our Friday guy sucks for the first time in the Pierce era.

That’s 4 Friday Ls in a row and 5 of the last 6. Not a single quality start from LBJ in any of those 6 Fridays. 

For all the warts the roster has, any 1 of Cooper, Kingham, Madden, Hansen, or Gordon would have this team within shouting distance of hosting. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

Wut? This is the first time in a long time that we haven’t had a legit Friday night guy.

LBJ still can be that guy, he’s shown he can for one night, but I do think he’s done as a real lockdown starter. 

LBJ is done. He’s had 1 impressive start all year and it was vs Cal Poly in February

Just now, UnhappilyMarried said:

That’s 4 Friday Ls in a row and 5 of the last 6. Not a single quality start from LBJ in any of those 6 Fridays. 

He had quality starts against Washington and Baylor, both games where the lead was coughed up in the late innings.

But yes, I get your point. There isn’t anyone to insert into the rotation in this place. Maybe you can push him back a day or two but you have to ride with him.

28 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

He had quality starts against Washington and Baylor, both games where the lead was coughed up in the late innings.

But yes, I get your point. There isn’t anyone to insert into the rotation in this place. Maybe you can push him back a day or two but you have to ride with him.

Not that he was stellar last year, but the drop off/regression this year with Pierce as the "pitching coach"...well...

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, landman said:

Not that he was stellar last year, but the drop off/regression this year with Pierce as the "pitching coach"...well...

There are always going to be success and failure stories pretty much every year with a 40 man roster. For every LBJ there is also a Max Grubbs or Whitehead.

LBJ ain’t the first pitcher to regress and won’t be the last. Ask Aaron Nixon. Probably not one specific reason for it. Sad to see however it came about. His final start last year against Stanford where he threw 100 pitches and walked 4 in 4.1 innings was some foreshadowing. They were the first team I remember just completely ignoring his slider/splitter and sitting on the heater.

Edited by Hookem2147

3 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

There are always going to be success and failure stories pretty much every year with a 40 man roster. For every LBJ there is a Max Grubbs or Whitehead.

LBJ ain’t the first pitcher to regress and won’t be the last. Ask Aaron Nixon. Probably not one specific reason for it. Sad to see however it came about. His final start last year against Stanford where he threw 100 pitches and walked 4 in 4.1 innings was some foreshadowing. They were the first team I remember just completely ignoring his slider/splitter and sitting on the heater.

Tristan fucking Stevens 

Tristan fucking Stevens 

Beau Ridgeway. The list goes on and on. Could do the same thing on the hitters side probably too. For every Jalin Flores this year there is a Porter Brown this year.

7 hours ago, dcar00 said:

staff is ass and hitting is whatever.  this is what they are.

What's infuriating is, for average, we have six regular hitters above .300, one over .400, and four with ops over 1.000.  There have been long stretches when we would have killed for that kind of output.

But situationally, when the pitching shits the bed, so does the offense.

It's uncanny.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

It's uncanny.

Goes to team attitude, heart, culture, whatever you want to call it. That's on Pierce. 

• Hook 'Em 5

10 hours ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Move him to Sunday starter. He can probably win that game. 

This team would need an act of God to win a regional. 

Depends on the opponent. If they suck no doubt Texas will give up 10 walks and shit the bed. If they're good Texas just might win it.

12 hits and 5 runs is not shitting the bed.  

I put this season almost entirely on the pitching.   You can point out where we lost games only scoring 2 runs or 1 run.   That happens every season.   What shouldn't happen is the mood on the club being constantly deflated by extremely shitty pitching performances.  Your starting pitching, and to a lesser extent your set up people and closer, set the tone for the whole team.   If they are are unreliable, where does the confidence come from?   Pierce's teams have usually liked to operate from ahead, trying to put pressure on people early.   When you are constantly playing from behind early, or your pen is constantly not holding teams after you score, doubt grows and people press at the plate.

All that said, I don't like how home run centric some on this team have become.   Baseball at this level is not about hitting  .250 and hitting double digit home runs.   It's about getting on base.  We have too many guys who don't prioritize getting on base.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

For a team that is hitting .304 and slugging over .550, it does sure feel pretty inconsistent. This is the 3rd straight series opener we've faced a starter with an ERA over 6.00 and we have scored a combined 8 earned runs off those starters in 16.2 innings (4.3 ERA)

We don't walk a lot (169th nationally) or get hit by a lot of pitches (214th nationally), so we are very dependent on putting the ball in gaps or over the wall. JT and Porter Brown are the only guys with very good walk rates (> 15%). Everyone else is either average to below average to very bad (Gasparino at 5%). 

As I mentioned last night, it feels like we are either exploding early and putting up a football number or slogging our way through 9 innings against guys we should be pounding. Feels like very few games fall in the middle.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

What's infuriating is, for average, we have six regular hitters above .300, one over .400, and four with ops over 1.000.  There have been long stretches when we would have killed for that kind of output.

It's uncanny.

I do agree there is a somewhat maddening situation with the hitting.  that is kind of why I said it is "whatever" because I couldn't relaly find the words to describe it.  the big red flag is, it appears(I'm not looking up the stats) we kill the fuck out of shitty pitching and we struggle against above average Friday guys(not even lockdown Friday guys)

I also realize our ERA isn't the worst but when your #1 shits the bed 50-60% of the time everything else is hard.

Whatever is kind of the attitude I am taking with them.  you can't count on anything. we'll probably win the next 2 games.

I just dont understand why we need to be this fucked up in year 8 in what is a pretty bad conference.  next year is gonna be a beating.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

LBJ is done. He’s had 1 impressive start all year and it was vs Cal Poly in February

Yeah, for whatever reason, he’s not making the pitches he was making this time last year. He had lots of close misses last night along with some wild pitches and straight meat. Maybe there’s an injury he’s working through or something, but he’s struggling and needs the coach to make a change for him. 

Posted (edited)

I like Grubbs on Sunday/game 3's just from a mentality standpoint and type of pitcher he is. You see a lot of wild games on Sunday and having someone we can count on to throw quality strikes and eat innings is big.

If Whitehead throws well tonight, you can flip him and LBJ next week, which would leave Whitehead on a normal full week's rest and give LBJ 2 extra days between starts and the opportunity to throw multiple bullpens/side sessions. 

Not ideal to have your Friday starter be a finesse lefty who doesn't break 87 on the radar gun but I've accepted it's kind of where we are. 

Edited by Hookem2147

4 minutes ago, Victorious1 said:

You ain't winning shit when your pitching stats look like this in one game (even worse when it's against the last place team in the league)

Pitch Count     226

Hits     14

BB     5

HBP     4

WP     2

They left like 15 guys on base.  It could have very easily been a laugher.   Well, it kind of was a laugher, but you know what I mean.