Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

markstanco

On 1/16/2019 at 6:20 PM, Cajun said:

Oh, let's not pretend Twitter has a stranglehold...

Box of hammers dumb.

Stephen A. Smith of the political scene.  Just say it louder and more passionatly and that makes it true.

DOTARD has said shit daily for 3+ years that is far dumber than that. Why do you only attack her? I can think of two reasons, one makes you a bigot, the other a misogynist. Which is it?

19 hours ago, GSU&UT said:

Docurm policing right now is the absolute last thing on my mind when one party does nothing but support and enable a demagogue and typically themselves outright lie.

Disagree-

quote-Martin-Luther-King-Jr.-darkness-ca

If everyone is trying to go lower it's bad for the entire country and we will all be left with a different shit sandwich. As mentioned a million times before Obama won on a pretty positive campaign message and brought in a TON of 1st time voters in doing so. (politics aside, that can and does work). What doesn't work is when you have a shit sandwich running against a candidate that is also disliked and made major mistakes the biggest was assuming people wouldn't vote for shit sandwich. 

I know in the social media world of gotcha politics and 24/7 cable news networks of pointing fingers at the "other side" it doesn't seem like it would work but it will it just takes the right candidate to drive that change. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JimmyHoffa said:

Disagree-

If everyone is trying to go lower it's bad for the entire country and we will all be left with a different shit sandwich. As mentioned a million times before Obama won on a pretty positive campaign message and brought in a TON of 1st time voters in doing so. (politics aside, that can and does work). What doesn't work is when you have a shit sandwich running against a candidate that is also disliked and made major mistakes the biggest was assuming people wouldn't vote for shit sandwich. 

I know in the social media world of gotcha politics and 24/7 cable news networks of pointing fingers at the "other side" it doesn't seem like it would work but it will it just takes the right candidate to drive that change. 

You have faith in the American people.

I don't.

MLK bled out from a gunshot.

Hate wins because hate is willing to kill people to do so.

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

You have faith in the American people.

I don't.

MLK bled out from a gunshot.

Hate wins because hate is willing to kill people to do so.

Jesus dude, you're in a dark place.

Of course hate doesn't win just because someone dies from an assassination attempt. Did hate win because Sophie Scholl was put to death? Or did it lose because people fought against it?

But the real issue is, do you think that hate wins? And you clearly do. Therefore, for you, hate does win. And hate will win as long as there are people who think like you do.

First, I must confess that over the past few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season." Shallow understanding from people of good will is more frustrating than absolute misunderstanding from people of ill will. Lukewarm acceptance is much more bewildering than outright rejection.

Wonder who wrote that.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

There is no one on the left who is going as low as Donald Trump, much less "lower".

That's not the point. If the left engages Trump in his race to the bottom they are part of the problem and only fuel his fire of hate and the people that support that thinking. 

It's like when you have a screaming 5 year old who is having a temper tantrum because you won't let him eat a bowl of ice cream for every meal. Yelling at the 5 year old doesn't fix the problem. 

At some point there needs to be an adult in the room to fix the mess. Acting like the 5 year old isn't going to cut it. And of course the left isn't going to go as low as Trump but allowing oneself to be pulled into his vortex is just as bad and will turn off a shit ton of people. 

The old "I'm not an asshole like Trump" campaign isn't a winning won. 

And for the record Trump didn't win because he was an asshole he won because a large segment of the population wanted different. If you asked a large majority of those in the middle that voted for him I think most would feel at least some regret. Sure the fringe lunatics wouldn't be changing their vote but unlike what cable news likes to tell you those aren't the people that win elections. It's the mostly silent majority in the middle that swing elections in one direction or the other and has for years. Nobody talks about them however because it doesn't make for good TV and to a much larger extent RATINGS.

That's the fucking problem. 

11 minutes ago, Asithappens said:

Jesus dude, you're in a dark place.

Of course hate doesn't win just because someone dies from an assassination attempt. Did hate win because Sophie Scholl was put to death? Or did it lose because people fought against it?

But the real issue is, do you think that hate wins? And you clearly do. Therefore, for you, hate does win. And hate will win as long as there are people who think like you do.

I'm just a realist.

What won here, love or hate?

74608-1000x750.jpg&w=760&hash=f4b128a12d

6 million dead jews.  Hate won.  It did its damage, and it won.  Yes, it won because Sophie Scholl was put to death.  It won because her death didn't stop the Final Solution.  It didn't even slow it down.  It's a feel-good story.  We get to feel like "see, someone DID something!"  No.  She didn't.  She died.  And so did 6 million.

Bet on hate.  It's got the weapons, and it's willing to shoot you, and millions like you, to get its way.

I'm not predicting how future games will go as much as I am reading the past millennia worth of sports pages, and checking the scores.  Hate's W-L record is fucking STOUT.  And even where the "good guys" supposedly won (let's go with WWII against the Nazis), what defeated hate?  Love?  Or was it this:

1*XAbpUgagDNkaHeh4UqdoxQ.jpeg

Do I LIKE that this is the track record?  Of course not.  Do I WANT that to be the way of the world?  Absolutely not.  But I'm not dumb enough to sub in my wishes for reality.

Hate sits in your White House right now.  It ran on a platform of hate, it continues to shovel the fuel of hate into the fire.  And it doesn't care who gets hurt in the process.  Hell, the cruelty IS the point.  You aren't going to defeat that with love.  Just like we didn't hug the Nazis into surrender.

Pay this man

6 minutes ago, JimmyHoffa said:

That's not the point. If the left engages Trump in his race to the bottom they are part of the problem and only fuel his fire of hate and the people that support that thinking. 

It's like when you have a screaming 5 year old who is having a temper tantrum because you won't let him eat a bowl of ice cream for every meal. Yelling at the 5 year old doesn't fix the problem. 

At some point there needs to be an adult in the room to fix the mess. Acting like the 5 year old isn't going to cut it. And of course the left isn't going to go as low as Trump but allowing oneself to be pulled into his vortex is just as bad and will turn off a shit ton of people. 

The old "I'm not an asshole like Trump" campaign isn't a winning won. 

And for the record Trump didn't win because he was an asshole he won because a large segment of the population wanted different. If you asked a large majority of those in the middle that voted for him I think most would feel at least some regret. Sure the fringe lunatics wouldn't be changing their vote but unlike what cable news likes to tell you those aren't the people that win elections. It's the mostly silent majority in the middle that swing elections in one direction or the other and has for years. Nobody talks about them however because it doesn't make for good TV and to a much larger extent RATINGS.

That's the fucking problem. 

Pay this man his money!

On 1/16/2019 at 12:07 AM, MaybeACoordinator said:

Predictable. Call out a closet racist statement and get a rage-out in response. 

Hey fuck you againCloset racist ?   Yeah right that's what I am.  You little boys and your dog whistle triggers.  Describing a countries data isn't racist it's just facts about that country.  Oh noes someone called Sweden a homogenous population they must be racist...

2 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Hey fuck you againCloset racist ?   Yeah right that's what I am.  You little boys and your dog whistle triggers.  Describing a countries data isn't racist it's just facts about that country.  Oh noes someone called Sweden a homogenous population they must be racist...

It's also cold, and has lots of trees.  And a bunch of moose (meese?)

If you cite a specific attribute - and not others (not a word about the meese) - it means that you think that the attribute is significant and material to the discussion at hand.

Thus, Sweden's homogeneity is not just a fact, you believe that it is a RELEVANT fact to the conversation being had.  So, why was it relevant, in your mind?

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I'm just a realist.

What won here, love or hate?

74608-1000x750.jpg&w=760&hash=f4b128a12d

6 million dead jews.  Hate won.  It did its damage, and it won.  Yes, it won because Sophie Scholl was put to death.  It won because her death didn't stop the Final Solution.  It didn't even slow it down.  It's a feel-good story.  We get to feel like "see, someone DID something!"  No.  She didn't.  She died.  And so did 6 million.

Bet on hate.  It's got the weapons, and it's willing to shoot you, and millions like you, to get its way.

I'm not predicting how future games will go as much as I am reading the past millennia worth of sports pages, and checking the scores.  Hate's W-L record is fucking STOUT.  And even where the "good guys" supposedly won (let's go with WWII against the Nazis), what defeated hate?  Love?  Or was it this:

1*XAbpUgagDNkaHeh4UqdoxQ.jpeg

Do I LIKE that this is the track record?  Of course not.  Do I WANT that to be the way of the world?  Absolutely not.  But I'm not dumb enough to sub in my wishes for reality.

Hate sits in your White House right now.  It ran on a platform of hate, it continues to shovel the fuel of hate into the fire.  And it doesn't care who gets hurt in the process.  Hell, the cruelty IS the point.  You aren't going to defeat that with love.  Just like we didn't hug the Nazis into surrender.

So for you hate is one (or a series of) discrete event, and if something horrific happens then "hate has won"?

If that's what you think then you're entitled to your view.

But to me, incidents of war or whatever, isolated or not, doesn't mean that "hate won". Hate is a force, in a way, like love. You have to fight constantly for love and fight against hate. Hate only wins when you give up. 

But that's just my opinion. 

You're exhibiting the mentality of a clinically depressed person. Take that for what it's worth. 

Edited by Asithappens
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

If you cite a specific attribute - and not others (not a word about the meese) - it means that you think that the attribute is significant and material to the discussion at hand.

Thus, Sweden's homogeneity is not just a fact, you believe that it is a RELEVANT fact to the conversation being had.  So, why was it relevant, in your mind?

Cuz they's white

2 minutes ago, Asithappens said:

So for you hate is one (or a series) discrete event, and if something horrific happens then "hate has won"?

If that's what you think then you're entitled to your view.

But to me, incidents of war or whatever, isolated or not, doesn't mean that "hate won". Hate is a force, in a way, like love. You have to fight constantly for love and fight against hate. Hate only wins when you give up. 

But that's just my opinion. 

You're exhibiting the mentality of a clinically depressed person. Take that for what it's worth. 

6 million dead isn't an isolated incident.  It's a systematic program, and a total victory for hate.

Jim Crow being fought for, to the death, wasn't an isolated incident.

Thousands of lynchings of black men wasn't an isolated incident.

Humans kill other humans by the millions, and in almost every case, the reason boils down to "because they're different."  It's our fundamental program.

The bodies can be stacked up to reach the moon.  Hate runs up the score.

Do I say stop fighting against it?  Of course not.  Because if we do, then ALL is lost.  Fight.  Just don't expect to win in the end, because hate fights dirty, and plays to win.

I'm not depressed.  I'm focused and dedicated in my anger.  Cruelty for fun pisses me off to no end.  My country joyfully and triumphantly building prison camps for brown kids enrages me.  We could use more of that anger.  Anger - when focused and used - gets shit done.

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

6 million dead isn't an isolated incident.  It's a systematic program, and a total victory for hate.

Jim Crow being fought for, to the death, wasn't an isolated incident.

Thousands of lynchings of black men wasn't an isolated incident.

Humans kill other humans by the millions, and in almost every case, the reason boils down to "because they're different."  It's our fundamental program.

The bodies can be stacked up to reach the moon.  Hate runs up the score.

Do I say stop fighting against it?  Of course not.  Because if we do, then ALL is lost.  Fight.  Just don't expect to win in the end, because hate fights dirty, and plays to win.

I'm not depressed.  I'm focused and dedicated in my anger.  Cruelty for fun pisses me off to no end.  My country joyfully and triumphantly building prison camps for brown kids enrages me.  We could use more of that anger.  Anger - when focused and used - gets shit done.

Now you're just trying to be clever to justify your depression.

Yes, WWII, in the scheme of the world, was an isolated event. But it (and hate, imo) lost because people fought it.

Look, you can make all the distinctions (with or without differences) that you want. The key is in how YOU look at it. And for you, hate wins. 

You need to fight against it, imo. You're worth it. Don't give up. Especially now that things are in the shitter. Show some fortitude. The good side needs you. 

• Like 2

Just now, Asithappens said:

Now you're just trying to be clever to justify your depression.

Yes, WWII, in the scheme of the world, was an isolated event. But it (and hate, imo) lost because people fought it.

Look, you can make all the distinctions (with or without differences) that you want. The key is in how YOU look at it. And for you, hate wins. 

You need to fight against it, imo. You're worth it. Don't give up. Especially now that things are in the shitter. Show some fortitude. The good side needs you. 

For good to win in WWII, it needed guys with bombs, guns, and bayonets. 

You don't beat hate with love.  You just don't.  You know that's true.  And it bothers and disconcerts you, because you're a decent human being.  That truth SHOULD bother and disconcert you.  But that doesn't make it any less true.

Let's fight like hell against hate and evil.  Let's just not lie to ourselves and say that we have a chance at winning if we just act with kindness, decency, and decorum.  Fuck that shit.  Load up the bombers, the LSTs, and the tanks, and let's get shit DONE.

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

You don't beat hate with love.  You just don't. 

Yes, you do. You just do.

But, and this is my overall point, to think otherwise is to lose yourself in the abyss. Don't lose yourself in the abyss, dude. Be an example for goodness. Fight the good fight (as corny as that sounds). 

Never, ever give up. Keep pushing that stone up that hill. 

To paraphrase Ignatius Reilly, while there may be a series of (evil, hateful) smaller wheels turning, they all exist with the framework of a bigger, loving wheel. There are temporary downturns, yes, but that big wheel of goodness keeps on turning. As long as there are good people to make sure it turns. 

We all need to make sure that big wheel keeps turning, my friend. 

I'll stop my sermonizing now.

This too shall pass. 

41 minutes ago, JimmyHoffa said:

The left isn't engaging Trump in a race to the bottom. It's not happening. No one on the left is engaging in racist demagoguery. No one on the left is incessantly lying about everything. No one on the left is on a literal crime spree. Some people on the left are saying bad words.

That's the moderate brain in action: Swearing is the same as literal criminal activity. Potty mouth is equivalent to hateful racism. A murderer and a jaywalker are both criminals and crime is bad so both are bad.

This is so pathetic to watch in action.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Asithappens said:

Yes, you do. You just do.

But, and this is my overall point, to think otherwise is to lose yourself in the abyss. Don't lose yourself in the abyss, dude. Be an example for goodness. Fight the good fight (as corny as that sounds). 

Never, ever give up. Keep pushing that stone up that hill. 

To paraphrase Ignatius Reilly, while there may be a series of (evil, hateful) smaller wheels turning, they all exist with the framework of a bigger, loving wheel. There are temporary downturns, yes, but that big wheel of goodness keeps on turning. As long as there are good people to make sure it turns. 

We all need to make sure that big wheel keeps turning, my friend. 

I'll stop my sermonizing now.

This too shall pass. 

You go ahead on.  Seriously, I'm glad you feel that way.

But my grandfather fought evil with an M-1 carbine.  I ain't gonna shoot anyone, but his style worked.  Just always keep your eye on the darkness.  It's right there.  It was right there in this country, waiting for its moment to jump out, celebrate, and inflict pain.  And it's dancing like it's Mardi Gras now.  Folks aren't mad that Trump's hurting people.  They're mad that "he's hurting the WRONG people."  While we're a nation that celebrates and revels in pain and cruelty, I'm gonna be like grandpa.

You work on that big wheel.  I'm going to do everything I can to fight the current wheel of hate, smash it to fucking bits, and piss on the remains till they wash into the sea.

42 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Gosh you can read my mind, wrong spot. Just listing things that are a describer of a country is not racist, and doesn't ascribe any meaning other than that. They are fiscal facts of said country. Trying to make Sweden and The US similar situations when describing gov't, tax rates, or birth rates for that matter is a non starter. They can't be compared as a one to one comparison.  

Just now, Onboard 2.0 said:

Gosh you can read my mind, wrong spot. Just listing things that are a describer of a country is not racist, and doesn't ascribe any meaning other than that. They are fiscal facts of said country. Trying to make Sweden and The US similar situations when describing gov't, tax rates, or birth rates for that matter is a non starter. They can't be compared as a one to one comparison.  

So, why was "homogenous" a relevant factor for you to list, as opposed to "heavily wooded?"

Just now, Brisketexan said:

So, why was "homogenous" a relevant factor for you to list, as opposed to "heavily wooded?"

You say relevant I say it was just one of many descriptors I could have used. Trying to single that out is BS because many other facts make the cmparison a non starter.  

The fact remains comparing our tax systems to Sweden is not a fair comparison. People who compare America to Europe are wrong from the get go when they try to say, "well I Europe they do it this way......." They're too different in land mass, population base/size, history, gun rights,  etc.  

Just now, Onboard 2.0 said:

You say relevant I say it was just one of many descriptors I could have used.

It is indeed but one of many that you COULD have used.

Yet it's one particular factor that you DID use.  You did not use, for example "heavily wooded" to describe it.  You used, specifically, "homogenous."  You selected that SPECIFIC descriptor, and felt it appropriate to type out, as opposed to numerous other descriptors that you did NOT type out.  Why is that?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

To be fair, he already said it wasn't relevant. Why he brought up that particular non-relevant fact is obviously a complete mystery.

N.B. Onboard, homogenous population is not a "fiscal fact."  (from Meriam-Webster: 1) of or relating to taxation, public revenues, or public debt; 2) of or relating to financial matters: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/fiscal)

• Like 1

The left isn't engaging Trump in a race to the bottom. It's not happening. No one on the left is engaging in racist demagoguery. No one on the left is incessantly lying about everything. No one on the left is on a literal crime spree. Some people on the left are saying bad words.
That's the moderate brain in action: Swearing is the same as literal criminal activity. Potty mouth is equivalent to hateful racism. A murderer and a jaywalker are both criminals and crime is bad so both are bad.

OMG, this!

Calling Trump the dumbest asshole to ever waddle the halls of The White House is not some republic ending evil.

It’s the truth and it’s time someone said it without some bullshit handwringing about manners.

Trump is a literal criminal. Democrats have a long fucking way to fall before they’re in his neighborhood, much less his level.

1 hour ago, JimmyHoffa said:

Disagree-

Oh my lord, this was perfectly covered by BT but using a MLK Jr. quote to discuss this is the biggest load of bullshit. I hope you read the MLK Jr. quote posted downthread of this where he talks about white people hypocrisy and their preference for a "negative peace" which is exactly what your post is. There is no way the "left side" could ever sink as low as Trump and the current state of the GOP, not in a million years. Here's a helpful comic to educate about the both sides equally bad fallacy,

DxMhcgaXcAA0ItQ?format=jpg&name=large

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cajun said:

False choices are fun, aren't they?  Whataboutism is a great game too.

Which is it Drifter?

That you can "think" of only two reasons is why you're lost here.  Bop till ya drop my man.

You didn't answer the question. why do you only attack her?

Or please point me to a post where you have called Trump a "dumbass" or worse, and I'll apologize and we can move forward.

1 hour ago, bad_teammate said:

Sorry you read it that way that wasn't the point I was trying to make. It isn't a contest to who can be a bigger asshole or lying sack of shit. Trump wins that hands down and I wasn't saying he doesn't. I sure as hell never said that swearing is the same as criminal activity but carry on. 

1 minute ago, JimmyHoffa said:

Sorry you read it that way that wasn't the point I was trying to make. It isn't a contest to who can be a bigger asshole or lying sack of shit. Trump wins that hands down and I wasn't saying he doesn't. I sure as hell never said that swearing is the same as criminal activity but carry on. 

How, then, is the left/Democrats engaging in a race to the bottom? I focused on the swearing because it's all I can see.

What else are they doing?

I am not exactly tracking what you guys are arguing about wrt to the homogeneity thing, but I don't think that there is anything too controversial about suggesting that racial and ethnic diversity adds a layer of complexity and challenge when designing and implementing a healthcare system. Health beliefs and behaviors are very closely tied to culture, race, and ethnicity. So are social determinants of health. Countries that have really good ROI for their healthcare dollar have figured out how to address these social and behavioral determinants of health.  In fact, one could argue that these "non-healthcare" components are actually more important than the actual healthcare delivery and financing components.  I didn't catch what spun up the little back and forth here, but these issues are important to the discussion, and do challenge the notion that nordic healthcare systems, for example, are transportable to the US with equivalent outcomes. 

Edited by Anastasis
  • Like 1

Regarding homogeneity, it might also impact shared cultural values. I have had some interactions with Swedes and something I noticed was they seem to have a very strong belief in the common good. I wouldn't call it collectivist but there does seem to be a moral obligation to supporting the collective. What is interesting is most of the countries in Scandinavia are ranked as the least corrupt in the world.

I don't know if it's a matter of cultural values but they appear to a lot less likely to be willing to fuck people over. In a prisoner's dilemma situation they would certainly fare better than American's.

Swedes don’t grift from one another and provide a robust community safety net for the same reason penguins and koala bears don’t fuck each other over and give extra food to the group...when everybody looks exaxtly like a relative...you’re nicer to others.  

• hayden_horn changed the title to Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez