Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

markstanco

7 hours ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

Is 45 percent of self-identified Republicans in favor of a 70 percent Top Marginal Tax Bracket significant? Might wanna pull back on the ol' reins, Dems, and work across the aisle to come up with a bi-partisan solution to the challenges of tomorrow.

70 is a good starting point for bi-partisan negotiations. The right longs for the 50s so badly we could start with 91%. 

On 1/17/2019 at 11:44 AM, Brisketexan said:

Oh, and the SS Tacky ship sailed long ago.  Sank to the bottom of the sea.  It was sung by Grab Em By the Pussy torpedoes, a Supreme Court justice who used "Devils Triangle" and more, etc.  I'm looking forward to a 2020 presidential debate where Trump says something stupid, and his opponent just responds with "what a fucking dumbass."  That's where we are, dude.

I mean Bill was no winner either. Yeah, I just hope that the dems put in someone I can actually not feel bad for voting. Doubt it, but I do hope. I would actually like to vote this time around.

19 hours ago, Anastasis said:

I am not exactly tracking what you guys are arguing about wrt to the homogeneity thing, but I don't think that there is anything too controversial about suggesting that racial and ethnic diversity adds a layer of complexity and challenge when designing and implementing a healthcare system. Health beliefs and behaviors are very closely tied to culture, race, and ethnicity. So are social determinants of health. Countries that have really good ROI for their healthcare dollar have figured out how to address these social and behavioral determinants of health.  In fact, one could argue that these "non-healthcare" components are actually more important than the actual healthcare delivery and financing components.  I didn't catch what spun up the little back and forth here, but these issues are important to the discussion, and do challenge the notion that nordic healthcare systems, for example, are transportable to the US with equivalent outcomes. 

Fancy words to say "I don't want my money to pay for LaKeisha's blood sugar problem." 

Edited by MaybeACoordinator
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

14 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Let's be clear.  I'm fucking pissed off because I actually give a fuck about people, and am pissed off at seeing them hurt.

Icono is pissed off because we aren't hurting people badly enough, and because he can't get in on the fun of shooting them himself.

My family thinks I'm perfectly fine.  But I'm sure if I start sucking dick for meth they'll step in.

All out of rep -- AMDG, brother. 

45 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Fancy words to say "I don't want my money to pay for LaKeisha's blood sugar problem." 

Generally speaking, I would like everybody to be able to engage in their own healthcare decision making. I would like a healthcare system that allows for services to be tailored to the unique needs and diversity of the variety of communities it would have to serve.  I would like a healthcare system that aligns incentives between patients and providers focused on achieving cost effective outcomes rather than fee for service. I would like a healthcare system that rewards innovation, and disincentives gaming of the patent protection system. I would also like a system that has an appropriate safety net program.  I also realize that its about twice as likely that the person in that safety net program is a person named Barbara rather than Lekeisha, >5 times more likely if we are including Medicare. But don't let facts get in the way of some good race baiting rhetoric. My hunch is that just like bad_teammate, your rhetoric is driven by self-loathing expressed via projection. 

Edited by Anastasis
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

Why would majority of posters fawning be the most relevant qualifier? I would say the most active thread on the most powerful politician is more relevant. 

Don't overanalyze Al.

I don't know if you remember the police thread from the old site.  It was a bit more of an even split pro/con wise.  The pro side tended to paint LEOs as "heroes", beyond question individuals that we were all lucky to live in the shadow of.  You know, a lot like a certain someone in the shot caller chair now. Ooph.

That drew me in.  It just struck a chord with me and got me chirping.  There's a certain level of discomfort, for me I'm saying, when people start rockstarifying and putting capes on mf'ers in control.  If you remember it my posting was similar toward the cop rescue rangers on the thread.  

It's the same here. 

That's all.

I'm guessing individual/couple tax returns, not pass-thrus probably that are AGI over $10,000,000 number say 10,000 returns in this country?  And that the arithmetic median of just those returns, obviously skewed towards folks in the billions for simple maths is say $20,000,000?  

On 1/18/2019 at 10:37 PM, hpslugga said:

Honestly part of me thinks this Icono stuff is a gigantic ruse. There’s no way he could seriously believe a word of what he’s saying.

Really?  He’s a straight dude who decided to suck dick on a whim.  I’m confident he could believe in anything.  

Really?  He’s a straight dude who decided to suck dick on a whim.  I’m confident he could believe in anything.  

I seem to recall he woke up to being raped after getting high and passing out. And he wants to keep unsavory types out of this country......

9 hours ago, GSU&UT said:

Boomers: What is Twitch? Do we need a congressional investigation into this?

Welp, its proof, video games make kids shoot up schools and make them trans! /some old out of touch GOP senator

38 minutes ago, trauma babe said:

I find Icono to be as lame, desperate, and despicable as the rest of you, but maybe let's not extend those feelings to implying that being raped is something that makes him unsavory? 

Apologies if I misread your comment. 

No he wasn't raped. He claimed at one point that he was the "top." Not a rapist -- just a willing participant in meth-addled gay sex while married to a woman. His brother had to come fish him out of some bathhouse-type establishment and then posted about it. 

On 1/19/2019 at 9:08 AM, Cajun said:

Don't overanalyze Al.

I don't know if you remember the police thread from the old site.  It was a bit more of an even split pro/con wise.  The pro side tended to paint LEOs as "heroes", beyond question individuals that we were all lucky to live in the shadow of.  You know, a lot like a certain someone in the shot caller chair now. Ooph.

That drew me in.  It just struck a chord with me and got me chirping.  There's a certain level of discomfort, for me I'm saying, when people start rockstarifying and putting capes on mf'ers in control.  If you remember it my posting was similar toward the cop rescue rangers on the thread.  

It's the same here. 

That's all.

The "I'm just a contrarian" act falls flat when the President is Donald Trump and you spend all your time opposing his opponents.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

No he wasn't raped. He claimed at one point that he was the "top." Not a rapist -- just a willing participant in meth-addled gay sex while married to a woman. His brother had to come fish him out of some bathhouse-type establishment and then posted about it. 

Please see post #4186.  

2 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

The "I'm just a contrarian" act falls flat when the President is Donald Trump and you spend all your time opposing his opponents.

All my time?

Yeah, ok.

Shift the truth however makes you comfortable 09.  That demonization/rockstar thing serves you so well amigo.  Who am I to try to take your toys away?

6 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

is that post on this site, or on its predecessor?

I find Icono to be as lame, desperate, and despicable as the rest of you, but maybe let's not extend those feelings to implying that being raped is something that makes him unsavory? 
Apologies if I misread your comment. 

You misread it. This isn’t Baylor/Penn State and though I share an initial with Kenn Starr we are nothing alike.

Being a victim of a crime is horrible. I actually used to feel sorry for him and hoped he could find a way to overcome his addictions and poor decisions. He made a choice to engage in xenophobia and has posted some hideous things. Including a desire to harm the families in the caravan seeking a sanctuary away from their home which has become unsafe.

He has a long history of knee jerk reactions where he'll say ridiculously terrible things and then come back later after being admonished with a mea culpa. Any thread after a Texans or Texas loss showed that. I don't use the things in his past that were spread in a private area of Shaggy without his permission against him if we go up against each other. That said, he doesn't exactly act or carry himself in a way on here that would keep people from using that past as a weapon to lampoon him. 

I really Anastasis'ed that paragraph. #bothsides

Edited by mdmost

6 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

You probably prefer bleached blondes with bolt ons. 

I've had enough of this either-or bullshit.

This is America.  My grandfather didn't carry a rifle to Berlin so I could be restricted to liking one or the other.  I like 'em all, cuz freedom.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I've had enough of this either-or bullshit.

This is America.  My grandfather didn't carry a rifle to Berlin so I could be restricted to liking one or the other.  I like 'em all, cuz freedom.

Best when read in the voice of Walter Sobchak.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

We have to look at it through the lens of politics. Power is an amplifier to attraction and looks. Beto is just an average guy as is AOC an average gal, but in politics with the average age where it is, we can see why people think she’s gorgeous or whatever extreme description of beauty.

like in real estate when you value your home, you look at comps. The comps Beto has is The Turtle and Donald and Bernie Sanders so he looks like the Taj Mahal. Same thing with AOC and her comps being Pelosi etc.

Using this as a standard I'm goin' with Tulsi.

TG_ALIVEFNL-8.jpg

10 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

She's killing it on Colbert. And just drop dead gorgeous.

Agree on the first part. And I've always thought she was pretty cute, but geez louise her teeth are yuuuuge. Don't know how I never noticed them before.

Anywho, the more I see/hear from her, the more I like her. It's a bit obnoxious that so many in that poll would vote for her as president (at least at this point in time) because she's still got a lot of learning to do, but her energy and her confrontational attitude are exactly the personality traits the Dems need more of right now. 

1 minute ago, SquishMitten said:

Agree on the first part. And I've always thought she was pretty cute, but geez louise her teeth are yuuuuge. Don't know how I never noticed them before.

Anywho, the more I see/hear from her, the more I like her. It's a bit obnoxious that so many in that poll would vote for her as president (at least at this point in time) because she's still got a lot of learning to do, but her energy and her confrontational attitude are exactly the personality traits the Dems need more of right now. 

And this.

Yeah, come on -- she has ZERO experience to qualify her for the office of President, and as we've seen demonstrated quite loud and clear, some grasp of the office and its duties.  Give her some time, see where she goes.  But I still don't see her as a President.

I do think that her approach, personality, and aggressive positive communication style are much-needed in a party that had ossified. 

I think something to remember is that guys on the wrong side of 50 like me are generally grouchy, and are pretty prejudiced against millennials unless they are pouring us beer or bringing us food.  AOC is throwing down the vocal fry and millennial vibe pretty hard, and I'm going to have to fight through some of those prejudices pretty hard just to give her a fair shake.

I will because my disgust at the GOP is stronger than old-man millennial hate, but not that much stronger.

13 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

I think a lot of it has to do with her ideas.  What candidate out there is young, embraces MFA, eliminating student loan debt to incentivize spending/saving/home ownership, green new deal, etc.?  None.

Democrats are hungry for young candidates with IDEAS.  Not worn out, ancient and same old centrist-y ideas.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez