Biden Corresponding at the Correspondence Dinner

Welshy

Posted (edited)

So I just learned about Kristi Noem. I'm not reading 4 pages of the Kristi Noem thread , but that woman is unhinged.   

Edited by Welshy
  • Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Welshy said:

So I just learned about Kristi Noem. I'm not reading 4 pages of the Kristi Noem thread , but that woman is unhinged.   

She’s nuts!!!!!! She did get her teeth all prettied up so she’d be picked for Trump VP. She’s a horrible governor and would be a worse VP. She, Kerri Lake and MTG were made from the same mold. They’re just horrible and dangerous people. 

Edited by Brandywine
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

He's going home to bang ScarJo....he'll be aight.

Also, let's not give her a pass on the reduction. She's lucky to have him.

Season 3 Nbc GIF by The Office

The Obama smash of Trump and apprentice was a nice reminder of how awful Trump is and what it was like to have someone mentally capable of polite and crushing insults that weren't really insults. Mostly.  

I miss Obama. 

• Hook 'Em 2

41 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Jost did great. And his Biden endorsement was well placed with the decency and grandfather anecdote.  

I think it was good. Obvious humor is obvious. He did a great job of navigating side eye and subtly. Also, Laura Trump was fun.  

Yeah, I loved it.  But it was obvious Jost was going for something different  and a portion of it didn’t land with that particular audience.  Lara looked about as comfortable as she does during cunnilingus with Eric watching in the corner.  

I thought the whole thing was an elegant blend of sincerity, truth about freedom of the press’ future, wit, And some salty ribbing.  

can’t wait to hear what Che has to say about it a week from now.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

This was pretty daring.😁

Out: public service

In: It's all about ME and my narcissism (good question - what is she doing at the White House?):

Edited by Bullneck
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Colin Jost was surprisingly flat.  He hit on a few, but mostly the crowd just groaned.  I thought he'd do better.  Different gig for him, I guess.

I mean he did a joke about Biden being coked up for the SOTU speech and called it "high speed rails".  Of course that won't land with that audience.

Posted (edited)

Since Coolidge, other than possibly wartime and Covid, every President has attended every year.  except, of course bold-alpha male/nobody can make me feel unsure of my strength, commander dipshit.  So literally for the last 100 years, the party not in the White House would still have in attendance a number of Senate/House leadership members, National Committee chairs, high profile candidates in election years, and other folks of those levels.  And they'd take the ribbing in good fun. 

I know a writer for some of the dinners under Bush and Obama for the myriad hosts, and then a prominent political commentator from CNN/ABCNews.  And both have reiterated the same thing, it was also good-natured, everybody got along afterwards.  Almost too well, as we've all heard...that perhaps politicians and journalists were almost too chummy and partied a little too hard together.  But they said, that all changed during Trump's 3 dinners.  He sent a token rep or two and they just sat ther pissed off, and left the moment it was over and didn't stick around to socialize and gain fellowship/goodwill..  

The FoxNews table(s) at least have the sportsmanship to show up knowing they're gonna get it.  But they don't necessarily have to sit there like they're getting a 10-top colonoscopy.  They didn't even laugh at the jokes directed at Biden.  But Lara took the cake, she showed up there as a force posture on behalf of both the party and her family and Jost hit her with just that "I can't believe I'm saying this of a Trump family member, but maybe just stick to politics."  His inflection was spot on and whole bit landed from the top rope and she fucking knew it.  I'm sure she'll find a way to grift on her victimhood for not being respected as much as Tom Petty.  

Anyway, now that I think about it.  I think they were all expecting a bubblier version of W/U report by Jost.  But it almost reminds me of that Andy Samberg CC roast a few years back where he took a more self-deprecating and sublimely dry but goofy tack to the whole thing.  I don't think most of the audience was expecting it despite being smart enough to appreciate the wit, Jost didn't get the massive laughs we all probably expected going in.  i would have to loved to be a fly in the wall when she stormed into her apartment and Eric greeted her with a box of wine and said, "I don't get Colin's joke.  You already do stick to politics.  How does he not know you're RNC co-chair with wonderful musical chops.  What a dumbass."  

Edited by YGIFS
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Welshy said:

The Obama smash of Trump and apprentice was a nice reminder of how awful Trump is and what it was like to have someone mentally capable of polite and crushing insults that weren't really insults. Mostly.  

I miss Obama. 

me, too.

but Trump is a giant stupid, malignant, shit-filled baby who can't handle a joke and so here we are, 10 years later.

thanks, Obama.

• Hook 'Em 1

Can't remember the actual WHCA host, but the 'headliner':

2017, Hassan Minhaj.  Trump didn't show. He becomes the first peacetime President to not attend in person since Reagan in 1981.  But give Ronnie a break, he had just taken a fucking bullet to the chest.  

2018, Michelle Wolf.  Trump didn't show.

2019, Ron Chernow.  He played it pretty straight and non-insulting as they thought this would incentivize Trump to attend.  He didn't.  

2020, canceled for Covid.  Obviously don't fault Trump for not making that one.  

• Hook 'Em 4

it pretty straight and non-insulting as they thought this would incentivize Trump to attend.  He didn't.  

For all of his faults, Bush made every single one (though a couple were toned down comedically during peak Iraq/Afghanistan and he felt it would be in poor taste).  There was even one year when Laura got up there and cracked wise for a short set (they're both actually really funny in real life, for politicians anyway).  I know Carter missed one for some family or national security issue.  I don't remember.  Dowd listed these out in an article he wrote a few years ago.  Nixon skipped a couple as the Vietnam war was winding down, and also felt the comedic/drunken atmosphere was in poor taste.  Plus he wasn't funny to begin with.  I used to watch re-runs of these with my dad and he'd crack up.  The one where Ford was getting leveled by Chevy Chase on the then-new SNL.  See if I can find the clip.  But Ford comes stumbling out, knocking into shit, and then opens with the spin on W/U intro, "Good evening, I'm President Ford and you're not."  But shit, FDR made most of 'em, despite serious medical issues and being involved in a small misunderstanding called WWII.  

But people will look back and realize this once formality to get free booze and see some famous people, had two haunting wisecracks that sent our nation in a different trajectory.  When Obama roasted (deservedly so) Trump in front of everyone.  And when Seth Meyers made the sick burn, "Rumor has it Trump will be running as a Republican for President.  Which is odd, because I thought he'd be running as a Joke." Because of Secret Service security, every attendee has to be checked out in advance.  And that's shared from/with the WHCA.  Which always gets "leaked" to the speakers so they can prepare some jokes in advance.  Most high profile people know what they're walking into and know it's in good fun only seen by a few political/journalist wonks on C-SPAN and the average voter.  But if Trump or even his camp, can't handle some ribbing from an 80yo sober Irishman, they certainly can't hold their own on a debate stage.  

Trump would have reminded me of Morty Seinfeld at Jerry's roast at Del-Boca-Vista.  Where he starts pouting out loud at Jack, "Not funny!  Tell 'em about the time you stole my son's pen!"  

but it would be:

"Not funny!  Tell 'em about the time you stole my election!"

• Hook 'Em 2

Obama was awesome! I miss him too, more than ever. I miss his intellect, his empathy, his humor. Sure, he wasn't perfect and there were many things I felt he could have done better but overall he still had a lot of the world's respect. 

7 hours ago, YGIFS said:

it pretty straight and non-insulting as they thought this would incentivize Trump to attend.  He didn't.  

For all of his faults, Bush made every single one (though a couple were toned down comedically during peak Iraq/Afghanistan and he felt it would be in poor taste).  There was even one year when Laura got up there and cracked wise for a short set (they're both actually really funny in real life, for politicians anyway).  I know Carter missed one for some family or national security issue.  I don't remember.  Dowd listed these out in an article he wrote a few years ago.  Nixon skipped a couple as the Vietnam war was winding down, and also felt the comedic/drunken atmosphere was in poor taste.  Plus he wasn't funny to begin with.  I used to watch re-runs of these with my dad and he'd crack up.  The one where Ford was getting leveled by Chevy Chase on the then-new SNL.  See if I can find the clip.  But Ford comes stumbling out, knocking into shit, and then opens with the spin on W/U intro, "Good evening, I'm President Ford and you're not."  But shit, FDR made most of 'em, despite serious medical issues and being involved in a small misunderstanding called WWII.  

But people will look back and realize this once formality to get free booze and see some famous people, had two haunting wisecracks that sent our nation in a different trajectory.  When Obama roasted (deservedly so) Trump in front of everyone.  And when Seth Meyers made the sick burn, "Rumor has it Trump will be running as a Republican for President.  Which is odd, because I thought he'd be running as a Joke." Because of Secret Service security, every attendee has to be checked out in advance.  And that's shared from/with the WHCA.  Which always gets "leaked" to the speakers so they can prepare some jokes in advance.  Most high profile people know what they're walking into and know it's in good fun only seen by a few political/journalist wonks on C-SPAN and the average voter.  But if Trump or even his camp, can't handle some ribbing from an 80yo sober Irishman, they certainly can't hold their own on a debate stage.  

Trump would have reminded me of Morty Seinfeld at Jerry's roast at Del-Boca-Vista.  Where he starts pouting out loud at Jack, "Not funny!  Tell 'em about the time you stole my son's pen!"  

but it would be:

"Not funny!  Tell 'em about the time you stole my election!"

And then he breaks Joe Biden’s dental plate and Junior tries to ad lib and save the moment, but rambles off on some coke rant and Bernie yells out “I’d rather have a bottle of Scotch!”

• Haha 1