Worldwide Israel/Palestine War Protests Thread

bolverk

19 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Of course, with freedom comes consequences.  He may well see what future employers think of that.  

This is really the only good thing coming from all of this.  Giving future employers the opportunity to avoid mistakes.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, BabaYaga said:

Did I see they have a "hostage"?  facilities manager?

They did last night. But just for like 15 min and they let him go. Columbia I think. Could be nyu. Getting those mixed up with what’s going on up there. 

1 minute ago, Welshy said:

Not make me a sammie, I'll tell you that much.

Also, teach at Columbia. 

Maybe she’ll be a professional protester and make $25 an hour with a phd. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, HendersonHorns said:

I thought about cutting utilities and playing some theme music blasting, but I’m ashamed I forgot Real American. 

fine job sir 

I vote that we pipe in Team America World Police on a loop to any and all displays in the building. I'm happy to do a voice over intro explaining how it's an imaginary and poetic view of anti-marxism,  the subject of my PHD and offer to sell my book on the topic. 

183050__team-america_l-b5f329d3851c4ad5a38e804338638b8b.jpg.961069feb56e654ae9ecfca6157ebc96.jpgteam_america_world_police_-_h_-_2004.thumb.png.3ceeeb2cbb435c5f979d7572d130d3c8.png

Just now, BurntEyes said:

I vote that we pipe in Team America World Police on a loop to any and all displays in the building. I'm happy to do a voice over intro explaining how it's an imaginary and poetic view of anti-marxism,  the subject of my PHD and offer to sell my book on the topic. 

183050__team-america_l-b5f329d3851c4ad5a38e804338638b8b.jpg.961069feb56e654ae9ecfca6157ebc96.jpgteam_america_world_police_-_h_-_2004.thumb.png.3ceeeb2cbb435c5f979d7572d130d3c8.png

Can I voice over “fuck yea” myself?

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

How do they enforce this?  Arrest and extricate mask wearers?  Good luck

First.  Be nice.  Ask them politely to remove the mask.

If they refuse and call the cop a cocksucker, be nice. Cop should then ask him to leave if he won't remove the mask. But be nice. If he won't walk, the cop should walk him. But be nice. If the cop can't walk him, get one of the other cops to help, but both will be nice. 

Be nice.  Until it's time not to be nice.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, HendersonHorns said:

They did last night. But just for like 15 min and they let him go. Columbia I think. Could be nyu. Getting those mixed up with what’s going on up there. 

8 minutes ago, Welshy said:

"You're not going anywhere western DOG!"

"Uhhhh, you all smell like a wet lab rolled in patchouli oil, have never done a day's work in your life, and are probably all vegan.  Go fuck yourselves"

"Now what do we do?"

1 minute ago, Frank Drebin said:

First.  Be nice.  Ask them politely to remove the mask.

If they refuse and call the cop a cocksucker, be nice. Cop should then ask him to leave if he won't remove the mask. But be nice. If he won't walk, the cop should walk him. But be nice. If the cop can't walk him, get one of the other cops to help, but both will be nice. 

Be nice.  Until it's time not to be nice.

Settle down Dalton.....;)

8 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

I think, beyond the "request for humanitarian aid" from the PHD in "imagination and poetry" the Hamas fanboi who could offer no actual logical reason to his love of Hamas was my favorite take so far.

This appears to have a good bit of the Occupy movement "logic" on/development of one thing devolving into something completely different.

"Movements" inevitably draw dipshits.  The Occupy Movement, the Tea Party, MAGA and Qanon, Pro-Palestine, Pro-Israel, No Nukes, Save the Whales, Critical Mass....you name it, I've seen em all over the past 50 years, and every single one of them ends up attracting some Grade-A dipshits.  I remember many years ago, the Critical Mass group (remember them?  They were kinda sorta a radical group for the rights of bicyclists to be on the road?) was doing one of its periodic group rides through the streets as a protest to slow traffic.  A newspaper reporter rode along with them, and they ended up chanting or calling for a variety of things....including, when they rode by the animal shelter, some of them calling to "liberate the animals!"  Made it clear that the group - while it had some defined ideals with some sort of merit - was also a magnet for generally disaffected people who just wanted to start shit.

This movement is not materially better or worse than any of the others.  There's plenty in it, and in its basis, that has merit (I mean....Israel IS killing the fuck out of Palestinian civilians, and I think it's a decent moral decision to speak out against that and to try to put pressure on things and people who might help change that), but it draws the dipshits: the extremists, the lost folks looking for a place to call home, the gullible, the dudes going along with stupid shit because they think it'll get them laid (I remember well a story that Michael Caine told about going to a bonafide communist rally, just because he was trying to shag a girl who was going).  All of this shit shakes out in the end.  A lot of the radicalized dipshits will move on to something else -- or to nothing else at all -- in short order.  They always do.

What the gov't shouldn't do is give them more credit or attention than they are due.  Not less, either.  Want to get the Columbia students out of the building?  Go on in, arrest them, and drag them out.  If they resist with violence, have your body cams on, capture it, restrain them, arrest them, and add that to the charges.  But as to the ones who aren't really starting any shit?  Leave 'em be.  Lack of attention will destroy them.  AND, in the process, also respect the Constitution, which is kinda important.

• Hook 'Em 7

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

What the gov't shouldn't do is give them more credit or attention than they are due.  Not less, either.  Want to get the Columbia students out of the building?  Go on in, arrest them, and drag them out.  If they resist with violence, have your body cams on, capture it, restrain them, arrest them, and add that to the charges.  But as to the ones who aren't really starting any shit?  Leave 'em be.  Lack of attention will destroy them.  AND, in the process, also respect the Constitution, which is kinda important.

Nah, lock the doors and throw a dozen pissed off skunks in there

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

"Movements" inevitably draw dipshits.  The Occupy Movement, the Tea Party, MAGA and Qanon, Pro-Palestine, Pro-Israel, No Nukes, Save the Whales, Critical Mass....you name it, I've seen em all over the past 50 years, and every single one of them ends up attracting some Grade-A dipshits.  I remember many years ago, the Critical Mass group (remember them?  They were kinda sorta a radical group for the rights of bicyclists to be on the road?) was doing one of its periodic group rides through the streets as a protest to slow traffic.  A newspaper reporter rode along with them, and they ended up chanting or calling for a variety of things....including, when they rode by the animal shelter, some of them calling to "liberate the animals!"  Made it clear that the group - while it had some defined ideals with some sort of merit - was also a magnet for generally disaffected people who just wanted to start shit.

This movement is not materially better or worse than any of the others.  There's plenty in it, and in its basis, that has merit (I mean....Israel IS killing the fuck out of Palestinian civilians, and I think it's a decent moral decision to speak out against that and to try to put pressure on things and people who might help change that), but it draws the dipshits: the extremists, the lost folks looking for a place to call home, the gullible, the dudes going along with stupid shit because they think it'll get them laid (I remember well a story that Michael Caine told about going to a bonafide communist rally, just because he was trying to shag a girl who was going).  All of this shit shakes out in the end.  A lot of the radicalized dipshits will move on to something else -- or to nothing else at all -- in short order.  They always do.

Silence and lack of attention is absolutely the wooden stake to any protest. 

I support, adamantly, the right to protest. 

Always will.

I'm never supporting stupidity, graft, destruction of property or violence disguised in the name of protest.

Edit - Steak would also repell many of these folks, funny autocorrect.

Edited by BurntEyes
  • Hook 'Em 3

Just now, BurntEyes said:

I'm never supporting stupidity, graft, destruction of property or violence disguised in the name of protest.

Three outta four of those things can be prohibited by gov't authority and action.

Stupidity, however....dude....you know you can't take away our American brand.  Too many sellers of keffiyahs and red MAGA hats would go outta business.

• Haha 1

Just now, Brisketexan said:

Three outta four of those things can be prohibited by gov't authority and action.

Stupidity, however....dude....you know you can't take away our American brand.  Too many sellers of keffiyahs and red MAGA hats would go outta business.

Look man, I'm not trying to end stupidity. I'm dumb but not THAT dumb, and by god I love Murica so I'm obligated to endorse stupidity, but I'm not supporting it. 

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

They often are not.

They are free to get all the food and water they want -- I'm sure there's a cafe near campus.  They just have to leave the building they have taken over to go get it.  And no, the university has no obligation to allow other people to bring food and water in to those people.  If you wanted food and water when you started your illegal occupation of a facility, you should have planned ahead and brought some.

But this is about being performative and "look at me," not about any actual well-thought-out strategy.  Y'all made a poor choice (set up camp in a building without bringing the necessities).  Live with your choice.

They remind me of those freaks that took over that wildlife refuge. Hopefully they don't smear shit all over the walls.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, BrazilHorn said:

Complain about how you can't find a job and have 100k in student loans

Nah, if she finished at Columbia she'd get a job. Her problem though is that she'd end up on tenure track at some directional Montana school that was just excited to get an Ivy grad to apply and she'd quickly realize that she isn't as respected in her field as she thought she was going to be as some hotshot with an incredible work ethic from a well-respected public gets the job with the big boys and the book deal. 

• Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, HendersonHorns said:

IMG_0450.jpeg

Johannah King-Slutzky has morons for parents. If ever there was a time to adopt one of your parents’ names and skip the hyphenation (it’s all the time), this is definitely Exhibit A. 

That sign has such strong mom energy. “Make sure you drink plenty of water and no drinking or sex at your revolutionary encampment dear! And stay cheerful! Have fun!”

Also LOL at the “wash your ass” stipulation. That one was borne of experience. 

Between this and the mugshot, I’m putting together the pieces of why American youth aren’t having sex. 

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

They remind me of those freaks that took over that wildlife refuge. Hopefully they don't smear shit all over the walls.

Man. I'd forgotten about those dipshits.  A perfect counter-point from the other extreme end of the political spectrum.  Those guys are welcome to build their bunkers, buy their Jim Bakker potato soup buckets, and rant and rave everywhere they can about how the gubmint doesn't have any authority because the flag has gold fringe or whatnot.....but they did not have the right to 1) seize a site that belongs to all of us, and 2) damage it.

Same rule goes for these dipshits.  I don't care whether you're eating Jim Bakker survival soup, or you're begging for the admin to let through a delivery from your favorite onigiri place....when your actions infringe on the rights/genuine interests of others, get fucked.

Parody becomes reality right before our eyes.  I hesitate to link this because I really don't find it funny, but  It's amazing to me how much that "bring us food" clip (with the dude in a belly shirt no less) mirrors it so perfectly.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Cart before the horse a bit there at Columbia.  No plans on how they'll eat or drink.  No knowledge that the school will stop you from getting your own food...but press conference to demand they don't?

Writing checks their ass can't cash at this point.

12 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

Complain about how you can't find a job and have 100k in student loans

100k? Even with assistance of 50%, that's still 200 bills for tuition for 4 years. 

My guess is parental units are funding that critical thinker. She sure as hell doesn't have a job or need to make rent.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Ohio State President Ted Carter is ex-Military and worked five years as the superintendent of the Naval Academy.  One might guess he has little use for these shenanigans.  

DeRoche said the police response shocked her. Ohio State police officers and state troopers were at the protest along with a helicopter that spotlighted the area.

“Military-level force against non-violent teenage protesters was astonishing,” said DeRoche.

The women feel the police response was not necessary for the event.

“This is a space of academic freedom, of free thinking so to see that oppression of student protests is horrific for me,” said Kempler.

“I wasn’t expecting to be arrested at a university I have been attending for 12 years. I started here in 2012 with a bachelor's, I got my master's and now I’m getting my PhD,” said DeRoche.

https://www.10tv.com/article/news/local/ohio-state-students-share-story-after-being-arrested-protest/530-45ceef09-cfe6-4af9-ae53-9066db085408

President Carter:

Despite these warnings and clear information about the rules, student organizations and outside entities promoted both the morning and the 5 p.m. activities as “encampments,” and the university consistently informed the groups that this is prohibited and would not be permitted. At approximately 5:30 p.m., a group of more than 300, many of whom were not students, faculty or staff at Ohio State, crossed College Road to the South Oval and set up an encampment. Over the next five hours, the group proceeded to establish and build upon the encampment, while being repeatedly warned that this was prohibited. The Ohio State University Police Division was the lead agency, and after numerous warnings, the university made the decision to begin arrests. At approximately 10 p.m., law enforcement began the process of arresting and charging individuals with criminal trespass for knowingly violating university policy and police orders.

Encampments are not allowed on campus regardless of the reason for them. They create the need for around-the-clock safety and security resources, which takes these resources away from the rest of our community. They also create undue pressure on proximate buildings, in this case the Ohio Union, for restrooms and personal hygiene. During Finals Week, the Ohio Union is not only a study space for students, but it is also an exam location, including for students with disabilities. In this case, with the intent of creating an ongoing, 24/7 activity, the encampment also created a disturbance to our residential community in Baker Hall.

I acknowledge that even with additional facts about the incident and the timeline of events, some will continue to disagree with the actions taken. I accept that criticism and will always listen to others’ concerns. In short, I take my responsibilities very seriously and am accountable for outcomes. Arrests are not an action that I or any member of the administration take lightly. I have stated since the first day I was announced as president that safety will not be compromised. 

https://president.osu.edu/story/message-042924

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

The bolded QFT.  Because 18-22 yr olds are not the best complex thinkers.  And the males among them are among the simplest of thinkers.

Truth. One time I went on a last second camping trip with a group of buddies and once we were all setup on the Medina river we started slamming beers and shit talking. It was hours before we realized all of the ice chests were filled with beer. Nobody brought water or food, just beer.

• Drool 2

2 minutes ago, Parliament said:

have been attending for 12 years. I started here in 2012 with a bachelor's, I got my master's and now I’m getting my PhD,” said DeRoche.

lol.  Get.  A.  Job!  You bring nothing to the table outside of esoteric and theoretical opinions.  We have a kid going to Annapolis in my son's friend group.  Not only is the curriculum as hard if not harder than most any other school, the upperclassmen smoke the shit out of you on a daily basis.  

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, ftf82 said:

White protestors (presumably well-off or otherwise privileged students) at UNC throwing bottles and liquids at African American police officers circled around the flagpole to protect the American flag was not on my bingo card today.

Not sure who to support or be mad at now 

5 minutes ago, F250 said:

Truth. One time I went on a last second camping trip with a group of buddies and once we were all setup on the Medina river we started slamming beers and shit talking. It was hours before we realized all of the ice chests were filled with beer. Nobody brought water or food, just beer.

Been there, done that.  Like, almost that exact same move.  In fact, I believe it's a box you have to check before you get your "dumbass American male" card.

Mine's the Platinum version.

1 minute ago, 52-80 said:

FIRE is probably the most principled, non-partisan, classically/civically liberalism organization out there. And they they say you fucked up, you fucked up. 

Wouldn't go so far as to say non-partisan, and overall they have shown some pretty damned selective inconsistency (e.g., Texas is all about establishing tests/requirements of allegiance to particular ideologies (try to enter into a gov't contract here without SWEARING that you don't boycott Israel....or firearms manufacturers....or petroleum products...which FIRE told us they are gung-ho against, but not so much when it's their team's ideology)), but they've done a decent job of being intellectually consistent on this issue over the past week.  I'll give them that. And I don't disagree with their post above.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, Frank Drebin said:

There is a weird visceral reaction that some have when they see students protest.  I tend to think it is because they are younger, better looking, and have free time.  

• Haha 5

6 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

I'm not seeing the problem?

That's what we said. Just drank our way through it but the next morning sucked. Made a run into Bandera for supplies the next day.

9 minutes ago, Parliament said:

“I wasn’t expecting to be arrested at a university I have been attending for 12 years. I started here in 2012 with a bachelor's, I got my master's and now I’m getting my PhD,” said DeRoche.

Stunning. People in Gaza are shattered. Their lives are shattered. Read the fucking room.

12 years? I'm shocked these idiots are the pawns of national and international groups preying on their sense of injustice entitlement and desperate need for meaning.

You're not 1960 protesters, you are social media dupes.

Also, brilliant troll? Has to be asked.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, freyguy said:

I thought you had to be smart to get into ivy league schools?

Lol, a common error.  The Ivies, especially as you move down from Harvard-Yale-Princeton, have never been about SMART students. (Faculty they recruit are different). They are credentialing and networking factories for the RIGHT students.  The definition of the “right” student shifts pretty freely but will always include children of the political, cultural, and business elite.  Smart is wholly irrelevant, mostly because it’s assumed that you’re smart if you get into an Ivy. Once you are in, the work is done. 

If you want smart and impressive, visit the service academies, Cal Tech/MIT, Chicago, a few liberal arts and great books schools you’ve never heard of, and the honors programs of just about any large public school. 

• Hook 'Em 5

Also to this point, all these schools that eliminated SAT scores and claimed it’s about diversity?

What do you think is easier to game, some dipshit hedge fund manager kid’s application enrichment package and private school GPA and “whole person” application? Or to get said dipshit kid’s cold hard test score into acceptable range? 

Yeah. 

37 minutes ago, F250 said:

spacer.png

• bolverk changed the title to Worldwide Israel/Palestine War Protests Thread