Worldwide Israel/Palestine War Protests Thread

bolverk

14 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Here's a story about Israeli whistleblowers and others protesting the mistreatment, abuse, and torture of the thousands of Palestinian detainees held without charge in Israeli prisons. 

HEY!  They can't do that.  Only we can do that!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

I equate threatening families over political differences with nut-bar right behavior, and it fucking sucks to see progressives engage in that shit. Protest on the street, outside someone’s house? Folks have the right. Call and threaten families? Hell no. Veiled threats against families, and leaving the anonymous messages on the doorstep in the middle of the night is absolutely a veiled threat, and is not acceptable.

When the IDF bombed the WCK aid staff, my position moved considerably away from supporting the Israeli government’s war on Hamas to seeing the conflict as a war on Gaza. But acts of terror are desperate, despicable, political tools. I won’t abide them

Edited by Willfully Horn
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

For Christ’s sake, @Willfully Horn, read the letter. There was no threat, veiled or otherwise. The letter laid out basic “demands” of a protest movement and suggested “further dialogue.”

You’re too smart to fall for the paranoid fantasies of the DT pants-wetter brigade.  

Edited by BrickHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

I equate threatening families over political differences with nut-bar right behavior, and it fucking sucks to see progressives engage in that shit. Protest on the street, outside someone’s house? Folks have the right. Call and threaten families? Hell no. Veiled threats against families, and leaving the anonymous messages on the doorstep in the middle of the night is absolutely a veiled threat, and is not acceptable.

When the IDF bombed the WCK aid staff, my position moved considerably away from supporting the Israeli government’s war on Hamas to seeing the conflict as a war on Gaza. But acts of terror are desperate, despicable, political tools. I won’t abide them

I’m not sure hanging outside someone’s house isn’t threatening 

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

For Christ’s sake, @Willfully Horn, read the letter. There was no threat, veiled or otherwise. The letter laid out basic “demands” of a protest movement and suggested “further dialogue.”

You’re too smart to fall for the paranoid fantasies of the DT pants-wetter brigade.  

Lulz. Nobody wets pants. This is criminal behavior by a guy wearing a mask at 5 am. Nobody in their right mind would condone this. Are you of ill mind or are you a deliberate contrarian?  Obviously you’re not married and have no kids. 

• Hook 'Em 5

13 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

The act of someone showing up at a stranger's house in the middle of the night wearing a mask is a threat.  

Not sure why we all can't even agree on that basic fact. 

• Hook 'Em 9

44 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

There are people who think the Holocaust was good. That doesn't make "was the Holocaust good?" a question that requires a complex answer.

Not really a comparison, I doubt many Jews think the Holocaust was good….  Many Iraqi’s think life is better today than under Saddam.   If they can admit their life is better for them now why can’t you?   Once again a microcosm discussion on the effects of the war, not saying it was good.  Arguing the opposite of that is like the white Karen’s screaming the Redskins have to change their name while the Indian tribes are suing to get it changed back.  

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

The act of someone showing up at a stranger's house in the middle of the night wearing a mask is a threat.  

Not sure why we all can't even agree on that basic fact. 

I'm not sure if it was intended as a threat but I certainly think it's reasonable to view it as one. Given the benign contents of the letter I think some people are overreacting a bit, but if that dipshit had gotten himself shot I wouldn't really feel bad for him.  

• Hook 'Em 4

3 hours ago, Skipper said:

He's masked at 4AM.  It's 100% a threat.  Anyone downplaying this is either too partisan to think objectively about it or does not have a wife and kids at home (or both).  It's bullshit.   And if some other moron does this shit and ends up getting shot in the process, zero sympathy from me.

I'm not saying it's not a threat. I'm saying it's a threat you shouldn't take seriously. He's a twig of a college student pinning a note to someone's door.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Brian Fantana said:

I'm not saying it's not a threat. I'm saying it's a threat you shouldn't take seriously. He's a twig of a college student pinning a note to someone's door.

Yeah, harmless.. My daughter would smack his ass with a baseball bat.

Don't come to people's doors at 5 unless you want an ass kicking.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

2 hours ago, Rex Kramer said:

Yes it helps. It’d also help if you admonished idiotic takes like those of bolverk, Fantana, F250, and Hank Hill, instead of remaining silent because you otherwise agree with them. 

And no, what occurred to you is not apples to apples. 

Sad Cry Baby GIF by Aaron Taos

Pussy bitch

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Taking your shit to private people’s houses who are at best marginal to the issue at hand is corrosive and threatening behavior and it’s nuts to argue otherwise.  It’s a direct threat to democratic and civil norms, and it’s NOT misguided it is a deliberate tactic.

This is the equivalent of dropping off an angry demand to “stop baby genoicide” to a hospital administrator or clinic that provides abortions while masked and under cover of darkness.  No one here would (justifiably) dismiss that as anything but beyond the pale, threatening behavior. 

The Overton window shift is beyond ridiculous:

- Students have the right to protest! (YES!)

- Students have the right to set up tents as part of their protest!  Are you afraid of tents (Maybe…)

- They can wear masks and live in the tents as long as their demands aren’t met even if that’s against the rules! Are you afraid of tents and masks! (Why do they need masks? Do they really need to live there!)

- They can mask up and come to your house in the dead of night! What are you some wimp who doesn’t want masked prowlers hanging out around your house! (WTF?)

Get fucking real people. You do not mask up and skulk around strangers houses at night. That is BY DEFINITION hostile and harmful behavior. 

I don't really disagree with any of this. He shouldn't have done what he did, it is obviously threatening and hostile behavior. At best, it's an incredibly stupid thing to do for any number of reasons, at worst it's pointing out "I know where you live" to someone as a direct threat.

The question is how do you respond to such a threat? I would personally feel more strongly about it if a written threat was actually made in the note, but it doesn't seem like that was the case. A list of demands and a plea for dialogue doesn't really move the needle any further for me. It actually moves it backward a little for me because it indicates, at least to me, that he's just a stupid college kid that decided to try and make himself heard in one of the dumbest possible ways rather than someone who would actually try to harm someone.

I've quite literally had strangers come up to my house and yell at my goddamn doorbell camera in the middle of the night before (sorry Rex's mom, I just don't love you anymore), but I never felt the need to call the cops on them or pull a gun on them, so what does that leave us? Despite the attempts to characterize it as a home invasion, it clearly was not and I doubt any laws were even broken. So again, where does that leave us?

29 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

I don't really disagree with any of this. He shouldn't have done what he did, it is obviously threatening and hostile behavior. At best, it's an incredibly stupid thing to do for any number of reasons, at worst it's pointing out "I know where you live" to someone as a direct threat.

The question is how do you respond to such a threat? I would personally feel more strongly about it if a written threat was actually made in the note, but it doesn't seem like that was the case. A list of demands and a plea for dialogue doesn't really move the needle any further for me. It actually moves it backward a little for me because it indicates, at least to me, that he's just a stupid college kid that decided to try and make himself heard in one of the dumbest possible ways rather than someone who would actually try to harm someone.

I've quite literally had strangers come up to my house and yell at my goddamn doorbell camera in the middle of the night before (sorry Rex's mom, I just don't love you anymore), but I never felt the need to call the cops on them or pull a gun on them, so what does that leave us? Despite the attempts to characterize it as a home invasion, it clearly was not and I doubt any laws were even broken. So again, where does that leave us?

It leaves us with you still needing to fuck off back to CR. Take those pederasts bolverk and wildcat with ya. My mom passed in ‘00, you cunt. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2
  • Fuck You 1

30 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

Despite the attempts to characterize it as a home invasion, it clearly was not and I doubt any laws were even broken. So again, where does that leave us?

Home invasion it was not, and I apologize to the group for bringing up my own scenario.

It is possible to separate the message from the method of communication.

The first step is to stop with the “uWu, he’s just a smol bean, he made a silly mistake.” This action and the 0545 harassment of another regent were deliberately planned and organized. This is not a silly mistake or a stupid college kid, it’s a decision to harass people at home as part of their movement. 

The answer is give them a deadline, announce that the encampment organizers are inciting inappropriate and dangerous activity, and then at deadline tear the tents down, expel the students still there, and have anyone who comes back get arrested.  

This whole thing and all these students give off these vibes. 

image.jpeg.cbfe2d39167c8e081e62a10acbe7f775.jpeg 

https://www.bridgemi.com/talent-education/u-m-board-chair-body-bag-protest-my-home-over-israel-unacceptable?amp

Protesters also taped a list of demands onto the home doors of other university regents, according to a news release from the TAHRIR Coalition, which helped organize the U-M encampment that began April 22. 

"Though this iteration of the movement started with a university encampment, its boundaries are limitless,” the protesters said in a statement. “It will spill out into the streets and continue to attack the Israeli genocide project's most vulnerable institutions and allies. We will not rest until total Palestinian liberation.”

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

The first step is to stop with the “uWu, he’s just a smol bean, he made a silly mistake.” This action and the 0545 harassment of another regent were deliberately planned and organized. This is not a silly mistake or a stupid college kid, it’s a decision to harass people at home as part of their movement. 

The answer is give them a deadline, announce that the encampment organizers are inciting inappropriate and dangerous activity, and then at deadline tear the tents down, expel the students still there, and have anyone who comes back get arrested.  

https://www.bridgemi.com/talent-education/u-m-board-chair-body-bag-protest-my-home-over-israel-unacceptable?amp

All of that is taking things way too far. 

1 hour ago, wildcat09 said:

I'm not sure if it was intended as a threat but I certainly think it's reasonable to view it as one. Given the benign contents of the letter I think some people are overreacting a bit, but if that dipshit had gotten himself shot I wouldn't really feel bad for him.  

image.thumb.png.e29265531632a45429eddd5192d76364.png

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

image.jpeg.cbfe2d39167c8e081e62a10acbe7f775.jpeg 

Who said it was a mistake and not a deliberate act? Wasn't me. I'm not sure who you're arguing with.

e: I understand that all anti-Israel protests are unacceptable to you, but most people aren't there...

Edited by Brian Fantana

3 minutes ago, bolverk said:

All of that is taking things way too far. 

If harassing regents at home isn’t enough to get you booted from school, what is?  These people are grownups. What happens if you show up at your CEO’s house if you arrive at 0400 with a mask and list of demands.

These people are coddled beyond belief and it led to unacceptable behavior. 

• Hook 'Em 6

4 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

Who said it was a mistake and not a deliberate act? Wasn't me. I'm not sure who you're arguing with.

The only argument seems to be the degree to which the presumed student is condemned. If you're not sufficiently outraged, then you must be a pedophile.

Meanwhile, nary a care that counterprotesters are calling for the ethnic cleansing of Gaza. 

3 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

If harassing regents at home isn’t enough to get you booted from school, what is?  These people are grownups. What happens if you show up at your CEO’s house if you arrive at 0400 with a mask and list of demands.

These people are coddled beyond belief and it led to unacceptable behavior. 

I mean I think some punishment is absolutely in order for what that kid did.

Perhaps trying to brand him a criminal home invader isn't a great place to start. In case you're confused, that's the first thing this regent did.

Just now, bolverk said:

The only argument seems to be the degree to which the presumed student is condemned. If you're not sufficiently outraged, then you must be a pedophile.

Meanwhile, nary a care that counterprotesters are calling for the ethnic cleansing of Gaza. 

That's just Rex projecting again.

13 minutes ago, bolverk said:

What counter protesters? You posted a video of Israeli settlers in the Middle East. Were there counterprotesters calling for ethnic cleansing at zero dark thirty on UM regents’ yards? Or are doing the thing here, where you insist that no one can correct the behavior of Americans in America until GAZA IS FREE!!! 

So tiresome. 

• Hook 'Em 2

25 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

e: I understand that all anti-Israel protests are unacceptable to you, but most people aren't there...

The organizers and spokespeople of the campus encampment literally sent a press release that they are going to keep doing this and it’s the natural outgrowth of their little encampment game. 

1 hour ago, Brian Fantana said:

Despite the attempts to characterize it as a home invasion, it clearly was not and I doubt any laws were even broken. So again, where does that leave us?

It leaves us with a bunch of DT crybabies shitting themselves with fear because someone they don’t know came to a person’s door, delivered an anodyne letter, and left without attempting anything even remotely violent or intimidating. 

It’s pathetic.

6 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

The organizers and spokespeople of the campus encampment literally sent a press release that they are going to keep doing this and it’s the natural outgrowth of their little encampment game. 

I agree that they should stop doing this. I'm gonna stop short of branding them dangerous criminals quite yet and/or calling them pedophiles like the guy whose posts you keep liking.

Just now, BrickHorn said:

It leaves us with a bunch of DT crybabies shitting themselves with fear because someone they don’t know came to a person’s door, delivered an anodyne letter, and left without attempting anything even remotely violent or intimidating. 

It’s pathetic.

I am in agreement that showing up masked to someone's door in the middle of the night is an intimidation tactic (a laughable one, when you're a spindly college nerd, but still, it is what it is), or at least an attempt at making oneself appear threatening. I honestly would have laughed had I saw that on my camera notifications in the morning and realized all that happened was a non-threatening note was left on my door.

I certainly wouldn't have run to the press and cried home invasion. That to me is intensely hilarious.

2 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

What counter protesters? You posted a video of Israeli settlers in the Middle East. Were there counterprotesters calling for ethnic cleansing at zero dark thirty on UM regents’ yards? Or are doing the thing here, where you insist that no one can correct the behavior of Americans in America until GAZA IS FREE!!! 

So tiresome. 

Calm down, bro. There are Israelis protesting to end the war, and there are Israelis counter-protesting to end Gaza. I've posted video clips of both.

Is this thread now dedicated only to what idiot students in Michigan do? My comments about the one guy have included other descriptors, such as stupid, futile, and creepy. When you presented information that a much larger coordinated thing was also going on, I said they were taking things way too far.

Moreover, I think I've been pretty critical of the protests themselves, saying for three (?) weeks now that they have become counterproductive. They served their purpose by raising awareness about the war.

I'm sorry if it hurts your feelings that I bring up the topic of what people are actually protesting or the bad behavior that counterprotesters also display.  

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

It’s pathetic.

I love how you don’t even engage with the entire story, just make it be what you want it to be.  Complete intellectual dishonesty about what happened because you support their ideals. 

(CBS DETROIT) — University of Michigan officials said the student groups who organized an encampment on campus are taking responsibility for protesting at Board of Regents members' homes, leaving fake body bags and toys — both painted with what appears to be fake blood. The incident occurred amid ongoing protests over campus investments in Israel.

Officials said that on Wednesday, about 30 students "staged demonstrations at the private residence of at least one U-M Board of Regents member and went to several others' residences."

The university said a few protestors were masked. The protestors left as police arrived.

The University of Michigan's Department of Public Affairs shared these photos of a display left at a Board of Regents member's home, along with an image showing the incident from a doorbell camera.UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN

"Activities included placing tents and fake corpses wrapped in bloodied sheets on the lawn, marching and chanting, and posting demands on doors," the university said in a statement. "The tactics used today represent a significant and dangerous escalation in the protests that have been occurring on campus. Going to an individual's private residence is intimidating behavior and, in this instance, illegal trespassing. This kind of conduct is not protected speech; it's dangerous and unacceptable."

The university said student groups Jewish Voice for Peace, Students Allied for Freedom and Equality, and the Transparency, Accountability, Humanity, Reparations, Investment, Resistance (TAHRIR) Coalition are claiming responsibility. 

An Instagram post from the former group's account included a caption reading, in part, "Regent Hubbard, we will hold you accountable for the 35,000+ Palestinians martyrs whose death (sic) you funded and profited from. No matter how many times you call on violent cops to brutalize students, cancel and move your meetings to hide from students, and refuse to admit this university's and YOUR complicity in genocide, we will continue to protest. You cannot hide

• Hook 'Em 5

3 hours ago, BrickHorn said:

Let he who hasnt approached someones house at 4am in a ski mask to ask for further debate at 5am cast the first stone

Totally normal shit to defend. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

It’s pathetic.

If you had a wife and kids you’d think differently. If someone comes to my home at 4am wearing a mask, I’m flashing my gun and tell those fuckers to get away from my door. That’s a justified response that the vast majority of fathers and husbands would agree with.

• Hook 'Em 5

10 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

We have the right to protest. We also have the right to send our transcripts elsewhere.

Anyone remember the UT protests against Powell? Fortune 500 taking over Campus?

Missed that since it was after my time. When I was on campus, it was Berdahl, Flawn, and Faulkner. The biggest topic on campus then was UT being forced to get rid of affirmative action, which was then replaced by the top 10% rule.

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

We have the right to protest. We also have the right to send our transcripts elsewhere.

Anyone remember the UT protests against Powell? Fortune 500 taking over Campus?

There were some ruffled feathers about this same thing under Cunningham when they allowed food chains to open in the Union.  Up til then it was all UT owned outlets.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

I am in agreement that showing up masked to someone's door in the middle of the night is an intimidation tactic

In what world is that meant to intimidate anyone? The dude didn’t ring the doorbell. He didn’t knock on the door. He didn’t vandalize the house. He didn’t confront anyone (Acker didn’t even wake up until over an hour after the visit) or even make any attempt to do so. He didn’t brandish a weapon or leave any threatening messages. 

If you want to understand why he went to the house at a time when no one was likely to see him and he wore a mask, read the letter. One of the complaints the students have is being persecuted for expressing their pro-Palestinian views. He didn’t wear the mask to be threatening. He did it to remain anonymous. 

Yall fuckers are running some bizarre post-apocalyptic horror movie in your heads. But this is real life, not the fucking Purge. People come to your door without trying to murder you and your family. Even people who disagree with you. So calm the fuck down and stop being such nancies. It’s embarrassing.

Edited by BrickHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

59 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

It’s pathetic.

I just wanted to applaud the use of the word anodyne. I also would have accepted quotidian.

• Haha 1
  • Drool 1

5 hours ago, Rex Kramer said:

Yes it helps. It’d also help if you admonished idiotic takes like those of bolverk, Fantana, F250, and Hank Hill, instead of remaining silent because you otherwise agree with them. 

And no, what occurred to you is not apples to apples. 

As probably the only poster on this board that was sympathetic to the need for you to dip Copenhagen on an airplane I am hurt by your comment. I thought we were allies.

14 minutes ago, F250 said:

As probably the only poster on this board that was sympathetic to the need for you to dip Copenhagen on an airplane I am hurt by your comment. I thought we were allies.

Like Nessie is our underwater ally, you can be my sky ally. It was Skoal. Also a bad choice to post about it. 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

In what world is that meant to intimidate anyone? The dude didn’t ring the doorbell. He didn’t knock on the door. He didn’t vandalize the house. He didn’t confront anyone (Acker didn’t even wake up until over an hour after the visit) or even make any attempt to do so. He didn’t brandish a weapon or leave any threatening messages. 

If you want to understand why he went to the house at a time when no one was likely to see him and he wore a mask, read the letter. One of the complaints the students have is being persecuted for expressing their pro-Palestinian views. He didn’t wear the mask to be threatening. He did it to remain anonymous. 

Yall fuckers are running some bizarre post-apocalyptic horror movie in your heads. But this is real life, not the fucking Purge. People come to your door without trying to murder you and your family. Even people who disagree with you. So calm the fuck down and stop being such nancies. It’s embarrassing.

Everything about this is the perfect storm of dumbness people are talking themselves into. “Actually, it’s the person who’s prowling around a stranger’s house at night wearing a mask who has the REAL reason to be afraid!” 

You continue to ignore the absolute harassment and trespassing that was coordinated with this at another regent’s house. Because you’re being dishonest with yourself. 

Edited by 956 Worldwide
  • Hook 'Em 3

21 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

There is very little Mr. Hand in this UM regent. The proper response to this 4 AM visit is for the kid to wake up with the regent at the foot of his bed, holding a notepad and a thermos of coffee.

And an expulsion letter.