Text translations?

texasdago

So, I threw out an idea to my wife via text and I got this as an answer...

"Okay"

There's something just passive aggressive that basically "Okay" feels like "nah.Β  Not interested"

Am I the only one?Β  Any other things you get back as responses that feel like they are loaded with meaning?

Like, "Okay" would be better stated as "Sure - sounds good" or "F off with that idea"

Β 

Just now, texasdago said:

So, I threw out an idea to my wife via text and I got this as an answer...

"Okay"

There's something just passive aggressive that basically "Okay" feels like "nah.Β  Not interested"

Am I the only one?Β  Any other things you get back as responses that feel like they are loaded with meaning?

Like, "Okay" would be better stated as "Sure - sounds good" or "F off with that idea"

Β 

OkayΒ 

(Beating you to the punch, a-holes)

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, texasdago said:

OkayΒ 

(Beating you to the punch, a-holes)

This reminds me of a conversation on an ongoing group text I have with some close friends. We're all Gen-Xers in our early 50s who went to HS together.

Anyway, one of my buddies on there mentioned that his college-aged daughters absolutely hate it when he ends a thought or sentence with an ellipsis. He said they've told him that it really raises their anxiety level because it makes them feel like another shoe is about to drop. He may have been overstating it a bit (I dunno), but he was asking if we thought it was a generational thing.

One of us looked it upΒ and found a related article mentioning that old people (Boomers) have a bad habit of overusing ellipses in text-based communication, and younger groups have started pointing that out.

To bring it back to home, I imagine that leaving an "okay" out there has the same effect...

8 minutes ago, bolverk said:

This reminds me of a conversation on an ongoing group text I have with some close friends. We're all Gen-Xers in our early 50s who went to HS together.

Anyway, one of my buddies on there mentioned that his college-aged daughters absolutely hate it when he ends a thought or sentence with an ellipsis. He said they've told him that it really raises their anxiety level because it makes them feel like another shoe is about to drop. He may have been overstating it a bit (I dunno), but he was asking if we thought it was a generational thing.

One of us looked it upΒ and found a related article mentioning that old people (Boomers) have a bad habit of overusing ellipses in text-based communication, and younger groups have started pointing that out.

To bring it back to home, I imagine that leaving an "okay" out there has the same effect...

Yeah, I'm not sure how the whole ellipsis thing started but its nice to know it triggers them.Β  May have to use it... more

I don't necessarily get triggered by the OK, I just assume she's not down with what I suggested but won't say it.Β  I should try asking for sexy time and if I get an OK, it will confirm by suspicions

On 5/10/2024 at 1:43 PM, bolverk said:

I'm of a similar age as you and your buddies, and even I think that's something that only old boomers do (although I'll never understand how it raises someone's anxiety).Β  Your friend needs to consider his life choices.Β 

On 5/10/2024 at 1:54 PM, texasdago said:

Yeah, I'm not sure how the whole ellipsis thing started but its nice to know it triggers them.Β  May have to use it... more

I don't necessarily get triggered by the OK, I just assume she's not down with what I suggested but won't say it.Β  I should try asking for sexy time and if I get an OK, it will confirm by suspicions

If you ask for sexy time and she says OK, you don't ask follow up questions.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

My kids' friends in elementary will actually say "LOL" (pronounced "lawl") as in "that was funny lawl" or they will say "that was funny el-o-el" Β (saying the letters out loud)

Drop a lulz on them to confuse them

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

One of my kids thinks a πŸ‘πŸ» response to a written text means πŸ–•, but it’s positive in response to a pic, meme, gif, etc. Sounds crazy to me and my wife, so we’re gonna run it by our other 3 adult kids.

Edit: My son and his wife say the only negative connotation they could think of is that it could be dismissive if the sender was pouring their heart out or something.Β 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Okay.Β 

9 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

One of my kids thinks a πŸ‘πŸ» response to a written text means πŸ–•, but it’s positive in response to a pic, meme, gif, etc. Sounds crazy to me and my wife, so we’re gonna run it by our other 3 adult kids.

My kids say that adding the punctuation after "okay" shows anger or aggression somehow.Β  Like ending a verbal sentence with "period!"Β  I'm not giving up punctuation, though [period].

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, F250 said:

I haven't tried that one. But now I just use "Great!"

they key is not Great! but great - no caps, no exclamation point... lower case, no emotion so that it is as vague as possible.Β Β 

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

My kids say that adding the punctuation after "okay" shows anger or aggression somehow.Β  Like ending a verbal sentence with "period!"Β  I'm not giving up punctuation, though [period].

Oh, I was definitely angry.Β