Tell me about the QB draw

Tim Beck

• 3 months later...

Are we talking a real Straight Draw out of a passing look (where OL shows pass block) or are we talking Inverted Veer Read Option which isn't really a draw, but uses the QB as the keep/dive if the DE flattens out to hold the edge against a ride to the RB off the edge?

Football.

It was great last season. We ran a qb draw rather than Warren to ensure we didn’t advance the ball vs USC.

It also worked well in the title game vs bama when Colt got a quick exit.

If we ran it vs sand aggy last year we would’ve fucking won but we called a pass play on third down in attempt to give them more time to score. It worked great for them!

It's an Urban Meyer staple on 3rd and short, which drives fans nuts.  That said, it works well.  Go 4-5 wide and hope the defense walks their LB's back and/or out.

As I said, it has worked well for us, even though we ALL know it's coming.  The only guess I have is our play-calling (constraint plays) sets it up perfectly.

2 hours ago, DaggerHorns said:

It was great last season. We ran a qb draw rather than Warren to ensure we didn’t advance the ball vs USC.

It also worked well in the title game vs bama when Colt got a quick exit.

If we ran it vs sand aggy last year we would’ve fucking won but we called a pass play on third down in attempt to give them more time to score. It worked great for them!

That wasn't a draw play. Also, f you for bringing it up.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

re: the QB draw against Alabama, that film is an up close version.  I remember watching it live and two things:

1. seeing the play on TV it looked like he was even further away from being touched.  It seemed as if nobody was near him until the goal line. 

2. That was when we were in a desert wasteland of offensive ideas.  Akers had basically nothing after his first year when he got lucky with the idea of putting Earl in the I. 

It was soooo bad that supposedly the assistant coach in the booth recommended the QB draw was denied the credit by Akers.  Akers claimed the draw was his idea. 

It bothered people for years, so much, about how we could produce a top-notch Leon Fuller/David McWilliams led almost all-conference type defense and on offense we looked like we had no coaching.  Literally, like coming out of a timeout with a penalty for delay of game offensive coaching.  That disparity is what cost Fred bigtime.  

On 7/6/2018 at 3:39 PM, Snacks said:

Are we talking a real Straight Draw out of a passing look (where OL shows pass block) or are we talking Inverted Veer Read Option which isn't really a draw, but uses the QB as the keep/dive if the DE flattens out to hold the edge against a ride to the RB off the edge?

Football.

Uh.....yes.

On 7/6/2018 at 8:21 AM, kopp0e said:

Would this be the quarterback draw fumblerooski..?

Jesus Christ, that's not a fumblerooski, that's just a fake fumble and a screen pass. 

This is a real fumblerooski, where the ball is intentionally put on the ground to enable a lineman to become a ball carrier. This version of the play has been illegal since the early 90s when they banned the intentional forward fumble. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Like 1

I thought we all agreed to never speak of this again. Is this never speaking of  this again?
It never happened. Colt was abducted by aliens the night before and Garrett Gilbert had to play the whole game. That's how I remember it.

On 7/6/2018 at 12:31 PM, Valmy77 said:

I thought we all agreed to never speak of this again. Is this never speaking of  this again?

There are plenty of blueblood football programs that has never had the opportunity to compete in the Rose Bowl, if for no other reason it should be remembered as a time when a non B1G or PAC school had a chance to play in the game, but also a chance at the national title... (The game finishes different if not for the injury, we all know this)...

32 minutes ago, kopp0e said:

There are plenty of blueblood football programs that has never had the opportunity to compete in the Rose Bowl, if for no other reason it should be remembered as a time when a non B1G or PAC school had a chance to play in the game, but also a chance at the national title... (The game finishes different if not for the injury, we all know this)...

source.gif

32 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

source.gif

Well, look at it this way, the University of Texas already has more wins in the Rose Bowl than 50% of the current PAC 12 that has niether won or appeared, that's pretty impressive...

(but alas, I know what you mean by the gif, so I too shall never speak of this again)

2 hours ago, kopp0e said:

Well, look at it this way, the University of Texas already has more wins in the Rose Bowl than 50% of the current PAC 12 that has niether won or appeared, that's pretty impressive...

(but alas, I know what you mean by the gif, so I too shall never speak of this again)

Only 4 P12 teams have more Rose Bowl wins than Bama's 4 wins(not counting our BCS game). Damned conf tie ins, it is part of Bama's bloody fight song.

As for the QB draw, don't know much about that but there has never been a better QB sneaker than one John Parker Wilson. He might not have been that good at everything else a Qb does but he usually fell forward for about three yards on every 3rd or 4th and 1.

Edited by bamachine
typo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bamachine said:

Only 4 P12 teams have more Rose Bowl wins than Bama's 4 wins(not counting our BCS game). Damned conf tie ins, it is part of Bama's bloody fight song.

As for the QB draw, don't know much about that but there has never been a better QB sneaker than one John Parker Wilson. He might not have been that good at everything else a Qb does but he usually fell forward for about three yards on every 3rd or 4th and 1.

JPW is part of the "culture change" at Alabama to get the program back to heights of today, it is now arguably the most well oiled bamachine in the history of the Crimson Tide..!

(I'm looking forward to two of America's bluest of blue bloods to meet on the gridiron, the upcoming scheduled contest between the University of Texas & University of Alabama..!)

13 hours ago, Vito Andolini said:

If I had video of the 1980 Texas-Oklahoma game, I’d show you and your boss how effective the QB draw can be. 

Donnie Little beat that Sooner ass that day, and they couldn’t do a damn thing aboit it.

I can't find any links for that video, but in it's place is the 2005 USC vs Notre Dame "Bush Push" game: (I was rooting for the Irish on that day), but UT still beat 'em anyway..!