2018 Texas HS Football

Equinox

1 minute ago, Lonestar88 said:

That's been my experience as well, and its why the games aren't leaving Jerryworld anytime soon. DFW brings in way more general fans who just want to see good football. 

I agree.  Until enough ISD Supers or AD's call for a change or the UIL is forced to do so by having to radically redo the classification system due to growth, then it will probably stay at Jerryworld until further notice.  

Don't get me wrong.  Our trip in 2016 to play Aledo was something we will never forget and having a kid on the field was a double treat.  But it did cost us a pretty penny on a personal level as well as the school district.  Which is something like Aledo never has to worry about because they are right in Jerry's backyard.   The thinking before Fox Sports and Jerry got involved, the UIL was charged to making sure these championships were conducted in a manner which is takes into account travel, cost, etc and huge chunk of the state outside of the DFW sees a bias at play.  And really before it got to where everything was played in one stadium, attendance was the furthest thing on the mind of both coaches and the UIL alike.   I think if it were left up to the coaches, they would rather have the old system.  

53 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

So you needed DFW schools to drive up attendance in Houston? Both 6a games had Houston area superpowers in them, that should've been more important since the games were in Houston. 

Then explain to me why the following is true:

2015 6A D1: Austin Westlake (168 miles away) vs. North Shore (12 miles away): 28,841 in attendance
2017 6A D1: Allen (46 miles away) vs. Austin Lake Travis (200 miles away): 43,191 in attendance

2015 6A D2: Austin Lake Travis (182 miles away) vs. Katy (28 miles away): 43,718 in attendance
2017 6A D2: Cy-Fair (250 miles) vs. Waco Midway (100 miles away): 23,172 in attendance

2015 5A D1: Mansfield Lake Ridge (243 miles away) vs. George Ranch (33 miles away): 15,743 in attendance
2017 5A D1: Highland Park (25 miles away) vs. Manvel (300 miles away): 24,975 in attendance

2015 5A D2: Frisco Lone Star (268 miles away) vs. Cedar Park (172 miles away): 13,479 in attendance
2017 5A D2: Aledo (33 miles) vs. College Station (185 miles away): 28,163 in attendance

In other words, only one of the 4 big games in Houston did better than Arlington, and that's largely because that game in Arlington featured two teams that had 100 and 250-miles drives to get there compared to a game where one of the teams was less than fucking 30. Yes, DFW teams travel better than the Houston contingent. And again, notice the broader historical picture. 2015 had 3 teams from the GHA, 3 from Austin, 2 from DFW. That's not normal by any means. 2015 was just a weird year, and it showed up in an ugly way. And by the way, I'm being very generous to the Houston contingency by comparing 2015 to 2017, because if you use 2016 instead of '17, it's even worse. 

22 minutes ago, hpslugga said:

2015 6A D1: Austin Westlake (168 miles away) vs. North Shore (12 miles away): 28,841 in attendance
2017 6A D1: Allen (46 miles away) vs. Austin Lake Travis (200 miles away): 43,191 in attendance

2015 6A D2: Austin Lake Travis (182 miles away) vs. Katy (28 miles away): 43,718 in attendance
2017 6A D2: Cy-Fair (250 miles) vs. Waco Midway (100 miles away): 23,172 in attendance

2015 5A D1: Mansfield Lake Ridge (243 miles away) vs. George Ranch (33 miles away): 15,743 in attendance
2017 5A D1: Highland Park (25 miles away) vs. Manvel (300 miles away): 24,975 in attendance

2015 5A D2: Frisco Lone Star (268 miles away) vs. Cedar Park (172 miles away): 13,479 in attendance
2017 5A D2: Aledo (33 miles) vs. College Station (185 miles away): 28,163 in attendance

In other words, only one of the 4 big games in Houston did better than Arlington, and that's largely because that game in Arlington featured two teams that had 100 and 250-miles drives to get there compared to a game where one of the teams was less than fucking 30. Yes, DFW teams travel better than the Houston contingent. And again, notice the broader historical picture. 2015 had 3 teams from the GHA, 3 from Austin, 2 from DFW. That's not normal by any means. 2015 was just a weird year, and it showed up in an ugly way. And by the way, I'm being very generous to the Houston contingency by comparing 2015 to 2017, because if you use 2016 instead of '17, it's even worse. 

I think you've misread the conversation.

49 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

The thinking before Fox Sports and Jerry got involved, the UIL was charged to making sure these championships were conducted in a manner which is takes into account travel, cost, etc...attendance was the furthest thing on the mind of both coaches and the UIL alike.   I think if it were left up to the coaches, they would rather have the old system.  

The latter is only true because coaches don't give a shit about those things. They're freaking cavalierish gamblers and when it's left to a coin toss, they'll take their chances. That doesn't mean it's "fair."

1 hour ago, hpslugga said:

ok Stephen, we get it...the games will stay in Daddy's stadium 

1 hour ago, hpslugga said:

Well Austin also has 2 6a districts and 2 5a districts, no? DFW and Houston have over 10. 

Also,  no love for Cedar Park, eh? I’ve besn out of the loop for a little bit with high school football, but I know Cedar Park was always in the mix for a state championship while I lived in Austin. 

1 hour ago, Lonestar88 said:

I think you've misread the conversation.

That's putting it mildly.  An agreed neutral site or flipping for sites was more fair.  Making money for the UIL and Jerry Jones should not be the number one priority here.

6 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

I was going through the local TV schedule for the games and noticed the 3A Div I game between Malakoff and Grandview won’t be shown live but instead the next morning at 8:00.  Is that the case everywhere or just my region?  All the other games will be shown live.

Just checked my DTVNow Guide and see the same thing, looks like the Stars game trumps it. They are showing it live on the FSGo app.

21 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

I was going through the local TV schedule for the games and noticed the 3A Div I game between Malakoff and Grandview won’t be shown live but instead the next morning at 8:00.  Is that the case everywhere or just my region?  All the other games will be shown live.

13 minutes ago, UnivTex34 said:

Just checked my DTVNow Guide and see the same thing, looks like the Stars game trumps it. They are showing it live on the FSGo app.

Per UIL

In some markets, the 2A Division I game on Dec. 19 at 7:00 p.m. and 6A Division I game on Dec. 22 at 7:00 p.m. will be carried on FOX Sports Southwest Plus due to overlap with NBA broadcasts. Additionally, the 3A Division I game on Dec. 20 at 7:00 p.m. will be televised across all markets on FOX Sports Southwest Plus.

9 hours ago, EastTexan said:

How many teams are complaining about playing in Jerry World this week? 

This is what I want from slorch and the other it-isn't-fair people.  Round up all the quotes from Houston-area coaches and players who think it isn't fair, and you might have a point. 

In 2011, my town's team got to drive 200 miles up there to play Argyle, which is 30 miles from Arlington.  No one cared.  No one complained.  

2 minutes ago, futureman said:

what’s the capacity?  might be cool for a high school game to sellout a college stadium. 

40K maybe? Longview played there against Vandagriff, but I didn't go. Seems like an 80% full college stadium > 40% full Death Star. DKR too big but a good location as well. Waco is about as close to the population center as one can find a stay-jum.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, futureman said:

I disagree with ever choosing DKR over jerry world.  I find mclane interesting only for the chance of having a full stadium.  atmosphere could be great. 

That was my thoughts - central location, full stadium. That's the only centrally located, mid-sized university venue.

10 minutes ago, blacklab said:

Mart's offense is unreal.

23 yards per play.

make it 7 plays, 27 points

5 minutes ago, MAROON said:

So does Mart exceed the 80 points they scored earlier in the playoffs?

Mart 27

Gruver 6 

1 minute to go first quarter

DAMN

Edited by SHOOTER12

5 minutes ago, blacklab said:

pretty sure that was the first time they had a second and third down in the game.

didn't matter, TD 2 plays later

Yep, but holy shit, offensive lineman (72)

for Mart has a tramp stamp tattoo.

... And he should have been called for a personal foul on that running play due to the late hit when he was blocking after the play was over.

Edited by SHOOTER12