2018 Texas HS Football

Equinox

3 hours ago, F250 said:

Good point about Steele starting off slow. They did the same thing last season. It was night and day from the beginning of the season and the end of the season with those guys.

And that's coaching.  Lake Travis usually does similar, slow starts and steady improvement week to week.

or UT defense last year.  The more time kids have under good coaches....

5 hours ago, Helobious said:

O'Connor lost a lot but has a really good o-line and running back. Very well coached as well. Steele is the most individually talented team in the area, more than Judson even IMO but since Saenz took over they seem to start seasons sluggishly. Once October rolls around they'll be humming. 

Anyone familiar with Tyler John Tyler? I know they were good back in the day but have no idea how good they've been lately. Cedar Hill beat them 57-0 tonight and I'm trying to gauge how impressive of a win that is. 

TJT had an uncharacteristically bad year last year, 5-5 and missed the playoffs, they had made the playoffs 9 years in a row before that.

Cedar Hill also had an uncharacteristically bad year last year too though and missed the playoffs, although they only missed them because they had to forfeit a game.

5 hours ago, fellside said:

I realize Jenks is really good, but how does Legacy get their ass beat that badly with that many D1 players?

5 hours ago, fellside said:

35-14. Just saw that Catalon got hurt though.

Yeah, Catalon got hurt and that was it. There isn’t another 5A/6A team in the state that relies on a single player more than Legacy relies on Catalon, imo. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Class 6A

1. Allen (1-0) beat Mesquite Horn 40-0.

2. Lake Travis (1-0) beat Arlington Martin 35-14.

3. Katy (0-1) lost to Galena Park North Shore 35-21.

4. Austin Westlake (1-0) beat Belton 38-17.

5. Converse Judson (0-0) vs. League City Clear Springs, Saturday.

6. Cypress Fairbanks (1-0) beat The Woodlands 27-7.

7. Longview (1-0) beat Lufkin 35-28.

8. Galena Park North Shore (1-0) beat Katy 35-21.

9. Duncanville (1-0) beat Lancaster 34-0.

10. Southlake Carroll (1-0) beat South Grand Prairie 25-8.

Class 5A

1. Aledo (1-0) beat Denton Guyer 40-0.

2. Dallas Highland Park (1-0) beat Rockwall 49-42.

3. Lufkin (0-1) lost to Longview 35-28.

4. Denton Ryan (1-0) beat Mesquite Poteet 28-14.

5. Mansfield Legacy (0-1) lost to Jenks, Okla. 35-14.

6. Manvel (1-0) beat Houston Clear Lake 42-6.

7. College Station (1-0) beat Richmond Foster 42-38.

8. Frisco Lone Star (1-0) beat N. Richland Hills Richland 42-2.

9. Fort Bend Marshall (0-0) vs. Aldine Eisenhower, Saturday.

10. Cedar Park (0-1) lost to Austin Vandegrift 29-13.

Class 4A

1. Carthage (1-0) beat Jacksonville 61-20.

2. Argyle (1-0) beat Stephenville 45-35.

3. West Orange-Stark (0-1) lost to Nederland 19-18.

4. La Vega (1-0) beat Castroville Medina Valley 39-8.

5. Stephenville (0-1) lost to Argyle 45-35.

6. Cuero (1-0) beat Bay City 49-42.

7. Gilmer (1-0) beat Atlanta 47-41.

8. Texarkana Pleasant Grove (1-0) beat Paris 30-10.

9. Kennedale (1-0) beat Decatur 55-7.

10. Liberty Hill (1-0) beat Leander Glenn 49-21.

Class 3A

1. Newton (1-0) beat Kirbyville 71-0.

2. Brock (1-0) beat Brownwood 41-10.

3. Canadian (1-0) beat Stinnett West Texas 35-6.

4. Goliad (1-0) beat Columbus 60-7.

5. Rockdale (0-1) lost to Giddings 17-16.

6. Gunter (1-0) beat Daingerfield 27-14.

7. Atlanta (0-1) lost to Gilmer 47-41.

8. Childress (1-0) beat Bushland 41-37.

9. Yoakum (0-1) lost to Boerne 47-27.

10. Lexington (1-0) beat Burton 54-20.

Class 2A

1. Refugio (1-0) beat El Maton Tidehaven 35-0.

2. Mart (1-0) beat Bosqueville 67-12.

3. Mason (1-0) beat Wall 27-21.

4. Shiner (1-0) beat Hallettsville 21-0.

5. Wellington (1-0) beat Frederick , Okla. 50-14.

6. Muenster (1-0) beat Cache , Okla. 20-15.

7. Burton (0-1) lost to Lexington 54-20.

8. De Leon (1-0) beat Clyde 26-8.

9. Albany (0-1) lost to Colorado City 32-13.

10. Tenaha (0-1) lost to Troup 42-39.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, DeAngelloBeige said:

Ho Leeee shit!! Lee beat Smithson Valley???!!! What in theeee actual fuck! 

It was Midland Lee, poor SA Lee got dicked down by Taft in their opener. Maybe one day. In all seriousness, "LEE" has potential for a turnaround. The boys soccer and girls basketball and soccer teams have really used the good magnet schools on campus to attract better athletes and have seen some recent success. The football team did have a winning season a couple years ago, but has fallen back on hard times since. It's tough being the poorest school in a rich district. South San is now lumped in with the NEISD schools, but even they're better than Lee is. 

(Yeah that's a lot of irrelevant stuff, but over the years I've filled my head with so much utterly useless info on South Texas high school sports I'll be damned if I ever miss even a slight chance to display it.)

10 hours ago, Helobious said:

It was Midland Lee, poor SA Lee got dicked down by Taft in their opener. Maybe one day. In all seriousness, "LEE" has potential for a turnaround. The boys soccer and girls basketball and soccer teams have really used the good magnet schools on campus to attract better athletes and have seen some recent success. The football team did have a winning season a couple years ago, but has fallen back on hard times since. It's tough being the poorest school in a rich district. South San is now lumped in with the NEISD schools, but even they're better than Lee is. 

(Yeah that's a lot of irrelevant stuff, but over the years I've filled my head with so much utterly useless info on South Texas high school sports I'll be damned if I ever miss even a slight chance to display it.)

Lol, I live in SA and had no idea they lumped South San in with NEISD!! That makes absolutely 0 sense. Smh

8 hours ago, DeAngelloBeige said:

Lol, I live in SA and had no idea they lumped South San in with NEISD!! That makes absolutely 0 sense. Smh

It makes sense with how the 6A cutoff fell this year.  NISD is full with 10 teams.  The Converse/Cibolo/Comal district had 8 teams.  NEISD had 7 teams and needed 1 to fill out the district.  South San was all that was left in the SA area.  Either go with NEISD, or get stuck in a Laredo/Del Rio district.

Cy Ranch actually is a solid program. I never thought one of those CFISD schools (besides Fair) would become a consistent contender. 
I assume they will take a big hit with the opening of Bridgeland High School. Definitely in the next UIL cycle once the attendance zone transition is complete (current Cy Ranch juniors can stay there but freshmen and sophomores must go to Bridgeland I think).

Hutto beat Liberty Hill 52-51 in OT

LH went for 2 and came up short.

Hays 35 Dripping 34 -- blocked XP with 10 seconds left

Steele 35 Reagan 30

Giddings 63 Wimberley 13 -- Pretty sure that's our biggest loss since I moved here 20 years ago

Bowie 49 SA Madison 22

Cedar Ridge 34 Cedar Park 28

9 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Hutto beat Liberty Hill 52-51 in OT

LH went for 2 and came up short.

Hays 35 Dripping 34 -- blocked XP with 10 seconds left

Steele 35 Reagan 30

Giddings 63 Wimberley 13 -- Pretty sure that's our biggest loss since I moved here 20 years ago

Bowie 49 SA Madison 22

Cedar Ridge 34 Cedar Park 28

Pretty solid game between Steele and Reagan. Back and forth the whole night. Steele used its running game to finesse the win in the 4th.

Next three games for Reagan:

Clemens, Johnson, and Churchill

GIiddings is for real.

1. Allen (2-0) beat East , 52-20.

2. Lake Travis (1-0) at Mansfield Summit, ccd.

3. Austin Westlake (1-1) lost to Cypress Ranch 25-21.

4. Galena Park North Shore (2-0) beat Fort Bend Ridge Point 44-0.

5. Converse Judson (1-0) vs. SA Wagner, Saturday.

6. Cypress Fairbanks (1-0) at Cypress Park, Saturday.

7. Longview (2-0) beat Marshall 60-14.

8. Duncanville (1-0) at Dallas South Oak Cliff, ccd.

9. Katy (0-1) vs. Humble Atascocita, Saturday.

10. Southlake Carroll (2-0) beat Colleyville Heritage 42-17.

1. Aledo (1-0) at Bentonville , Ark., Saturday.

2. Dallas Highland Park (1-0) vs. Mesquite Horn, Friday.

3. Denton Ryan (2-0) beat Keller Fossil Ridge 29-19.

4. Manvel (1-1) lost to Crosby 49-47.

5. Lufkin (1-1) beat Nacogdoches 45-7.

6. Frisco Lone Star (2-0) beat Denton 51-6.

7. College Station (1-0) idle.

8. Fort Bend Marshall (2-0) beat Fort Bend Hightower 31-25.

9. A&M Consolidated (1-0) beat Bryan 20-0.

10. Mansfield Legacy (1-1) beat Crowley 39-7.

1. Carthage (2-0) beat Texarkana Liberty-Eylau 42-28.

2. Argyle (2-0) beat Waco La Vega 31-29.

3. Waco La Vega (1-1) lost to Argyle 31-29.

4. Cuero (1-1) lost to Yoakum 30-20.

5. Gilmer (2-0) beat Van 42-41.

6. Texarkana Pleasant Grove (2-0) beat Henderson 33-24.

7. Kennedale (1-1) lost to Midlothian Heritage 35-7.

8. Stephenville (1-1) beat Everman 41-16.

9. Liberty Hill (1-1) lost to Hutto 52-51.

10. West Orange-Stark (1-1) beat Little Cypress-Mauriceville 47-0.

1. Newton (2-0) beat Silsbee 56-14.

2. Brock (2-0) beat Iowa Park 24-7.

3. Canadian (2-0) beat Amarillo River Road 60-13.

4. Goliad (2-0) beat Refugio 35-0.

5. Gunter (2-0) beat Pottsboro 27-0.

6. Lexington (2-0) beat Troy 49-28.

7. Childress (2-0) beat Perryton 30-14.

8. Atlanta (0-2) lost to Gladewater 37-21.

9. Franklin (0-1) lost to Lorena 30-20.

10. Rockdale (1-1) beat Caldwell 35-17.

1. Refugio (1-1) lost to Goliad 35-0.

2. Mart (2-0) beat Holland 34-7.

3. Mason (2-0) beat Johnson City 49-0.

4. Shiner (2-0) beat Vanderbilt Industrial 14-0.

5. Wellington (2-0) beat Hollis , Okla. 44-12.

6. Muenster (2-0) beat Lindsay 49-10.

7. De Leon (2-0) beat Tolar 36-23.

8. San Augustine (0-0) idle.

9. Valley View (0-1) lost to Willow Park Trinity 16-8.

10. Burton (1-1) beat Milano 47-16.

Eat a dick, Jason Herring:

REFUGIO – Jackson Taylor moved back to Goliad this season after spending the last two years in Hallettsville.

But Taylor was well aware of how badly his fellow seniors wanted to beat Refugio.

“It was important,” Taylor said. “We didn’t think we would shut them out but we did. This was a big game and we tore them up. It just shows us how good we are and how good we can be.”

The Tigers, ranked No. 4 in Class 3A, made a statement with a 35-0 win over Refugio, ranked No. 1 in Class 2A, on Friday night at Jack Sportsman Bobcat Stadium.

“We just needed to accomplish what we needed to do,” said Goliad quarterback Rocky Morris. “We just had a good game overall and everybody worked together.”

The Tigers (2-0) dominated the Bobcats (1-1), shutting out Refugio for the first time since Ganado took a 7-0 win in the 2001 playoffs.

“That’s a lot to do against a team that has that many weapons,” said Goliad coach Bobby Nicholson. “But the kids practiced fast all week. That’s the biggest difference between the last two years and this year. We practice fast, there’s no joking around and the kids are taking it seriously.”

Morris had come up short against the Bobcats as a sophomore and junior, but made sure it wouldn’t happen three straight times.

He passed for 229 yards and two touchdowns, scored the game’s first touchdown on a 9-yard run with 6:56 left in the first quarter, and also intercepted a pass.

“We were just able to contribute,” Morris said. “We did what we were supposed to do on defense and offense.”

Morris threw a 39-yard touchdown pass to Dontavion Clay with 1:58 left in the second quarter to give Goliad a 21-0 lead at halftime.

He hooked up with Taylor, who had seven catches for 117 yards, for a 39-yard touchdown with 10:05 left in the fourth quarter.

“He’s just a good route runner,” Morris said of Taylor. “We have a lot of weapons. If they focus on one, we go to another one. If they focus on that one, we go to a third.”

“I watched a lot of film on them.” Taylor added. “I’m not very fast so I’ve got to get open. I practiced that in practice all week and it paid off.”

The Bobcats had only six first downs and 86 total yards.

Refugio freshman quarterback Jordan Kelley lost two fumbles, and the Bobcats turned the ball over when a player touched a rolling punt and Goliad recovered.

“The bottom line is we never blocked them up front,” said Refugio coach Jason Herring. “That’s what I was afraid of. People came blame it on whoever they want to blame it on. The bottom line is they average 280 up front and we average 190. We never moved them out and we never could get anything going. That’s the best football team we’ll probably see this year.”

Refugio reached Goliad territory only once in the first half, and never penetrated deeper than the 33-yard line before Kelley’s second fumble.

“We studied lots of film on them and how they were lining up,” said Goliad linebacker Angel Hernandez, who recovered a fumble. “How they line up, they put their gaps too wide and we just doing what we had to do and what we were told to do.”

Goliad’s Logan Bland carried 13 times for 73 yards and scored on runs of 1 and 24 yards, with 64 of those yards coming in the second half.

“I know this sounds crazy but I was real, real, real pleased with what I saw defensively,” Herring said. “If we don’t turn the ball over and put ourselves in some bad spots it could have been a little closer.”

But the Bobcats had 12 plays go for negative yardage, and averaged 1.45 yards per rushing attempt.

“We couldn’t get anything going,” Herring said. “We tried to throw it and they would cover our best kid. They shut us down man to man. We tried to work our zone coverage and we just couldn’t get the ball to them. The bottom line is in this offense, you’ve got to establish the running game or nothing works. They just physically dominated us, Dude.”

Galena Park North Shore (2-0) beat Fort Bend Ridge Point 44-0.

Damn only 2nd time Ridge Point has been shutout in school history and last 3 seasons they have averaged 39 pts / game.

Previously haven't scored less than 20 points in a game since they lost to eventual state champ Cedar Park in 2015 semi final game.

18 hours ago, Huckleberry said:
18 hours ago, George Clooney said:
Cy Ranch actually is a solid program. I never thought one of those CFISD schools (besides Fair) would become a consistent contender. 

I assume they will take a big hit with the opening of Bridgeland High School. Definitely in the next UIL cycle once the attendance zone transition is complete (current Cy Ranch juniors can stay there but freshmen and sophomores must go to Bridgeland I think).

Ranch is a damn good program, but has had the misfortune of catching Katy about 4 times in the playoffs since they've been open.  Bridgeland is starting mostly sophomores this season so they will take some lumps. CFISD rezoned and is sending some areas to Cy Ranch that will compensate somewhat for the opening of Bridgeland. I think they learned a lesson from the opening of Cy Woods about 10 years ago, which absolutely gutted Cy Fair HS, with them going 1-18 combined in 2008 and 2009. I haven't seen any research but I'd almost be wiling to bet that Coach Pustejovsky is the only coach to go 0-10 and 15-0 at the same school! 

When Bridgeland's current sophomores are seniors in the 2020 season they should definitely be pretty salty. Look for Bridgeland to be really good in baseball too...      

3 hours ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Ranch is a damn good program, but has had the misfortune of catching Katy about 4 times in the playoffs since they've been open.  Bridgeland is starting mostly sophomores this season so they will take some lumps. CFISD rezoned and is sending some areas to Cy Ranch that will compensate somewhat for the opening of Bridgeland. I think they learned a lesson from the opening of Cy Woods about 10 years ago, which absolutely gutted Cy Fair HS, with them going 1-18 combined in 2008 and 2009. I haven't seen any research but I'd almost be wiling to bet that Coach Pustejovsky is the only coach to go 0-10 and 15-0 at the same school! 

When Bridgeland's current sophomores are seniors in the 2020 season they should definitely be pretty salty. Look for Bridgeland to be really good in baseball too...      

Yeah that area produces a lot of baseball talent. I know Texas baseball has a great pitcher coming in from Cy Ranch–Ty Madden.

5 hours ago, chitwood said:

Holy Shit, Austin Anderson is 2-1.  I give us an outside shot at 5-5.

I was impressed with Anderson's improvement in week 1. They should be 3-0.

They will beat Akins and Lehman. They will have a good chance vs. Austin. I don't see them beating LT, Westlake, Bowie, or Hays, but anything is possible. Anderson has upset Bowie twice in the past.