2018 Texas HS Football

Equinox

12 hours ago, drewcifer said:

That is just sad. Temple was up 12-0 at halftime and basically pulled their starters, I read. Horn usually has a good team, too.

They pulled their starers midway through the third. Cove held them to 110 yards in the first half (176 for the game), gifted them a safety, and scored on the 1s. Not to say Cove would have won, but it would have been a game. 

Shaping up to be another disappointing playoff for the 6A & 5A San Antonio & south teams. Judson, O'Connor, & Wagner the only teams with a real chance to make some noise. No 2011 Harlingen squads in the valley this year at all. Edinburg Vela & Brownsville Hanna are the two best down there, and they're really just not impressive. 

6A D1 state title will obviously be Allen vs North Shore, but D2 is harder to pick. Westlake is a shoe-in of course but I don't know who else is supposed to be that good in that division. 

They pulled their starers midway through the third. Cove held them to 110 yards in the first half (176 for the game), gifted them a safety, and scored on the 1s. Not to say Cove would have won, but it would have been a game. 

That's less sad, I suppose. But I have a hard time believing a motivated Temple team wouldn't win that game going away 10 out of 10 times.

COPPERAS COVE — Win, and make the long drive to East Texas for a Class 6A Division II first-round playoff game at fourth-ranked, unbeaten Longview.

Lose, and host a bi-district playoff game against a 3-7 team — Mesquite Horn, it turns out.

Those scenarios sound simple, but the week leading into Temple’s regular-season finale Friday night at Copperas Cove was anything but for Wildcats third-year head coach Scott Stewart, who called it “one of the hardest weeks of my professional career.”

With numerous strategic options, Stewart insisted his starters would start, everyone on the field would play to win, and that staying as healthy as possible was a top priority.

In a game Copperas Cove had to win to reach the D-II playoffs, Temple led 12-0 at halftime and 18-7 into the fourth quarter at chilly Bulldawg Stadium. After Stewart watched star junior receiver Quentin Johnston and starting cornerbacks Markel Reed and Roman Jackson leave with knee injuries, he decided that health needed to become the Wildcats’ primary focus.

“We came out here to execute. I do care what people think about me, but I have to make decisions for this team and I’m going to stand by those decisions,” Stewart said. “Our objectives were to eliminate mistakes and to stay healthy. After our second kid thought he was going to get put on crutches, I wasn’t interested in seeing more of that. If we lose many more guys, it doesn’t matter who we match up with. It was diminishing returns.

“We did not throw this game. Their 1s were better than our 2s (during the final quarter-plus). Hat’s off to Cove. They executed their plan and got after it.

Any of y'all want to roast him now?

7 hours ago, Helobious said:

Shaping up to be another disappointing playoff for the 6A & 5A San Antonio & south teams. Judson, O'Connor, & Wagner the only teams with a real chance to make some noise. No 2011 Harlingen squads in the valley this year at all. Edinburg Vela & Brownsville Hanna are the two best down there, and they're really just not impressive. 

6A D1 state title will obviously be Allen vs North Shore, but D2 is harder to pick. Westlake is a shoe-in of course but I don't know who else is supposed to be that good in that division. 

Longview is damn serious this year.

9 minutes ago, Tylerocks said:

Maybe I've never noticed this (I guess it's obvious I haven't) but why are there teams with losing records in the playoff brackets?  Does everyone get in?

I mean 3-7 Clearbrook as an example.

Always been that way. Happens when teams are terrible out of district 0-3...then go around 3-4 in district play and win the tiebreakers. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, joeycovers said:

Always been that way. Happens when teams are terrible out of district 0-3...then go around 3-4 in district play and win the tiebreakers. 

My old high school went winless in district this year after going undefeated in pre-district play.  I read in the paper, had they won their last game last week,          (1 win) they would have made the playoffs, which is bullshit.

IIRC, the first time I did this on Shaggy, I nailed the state champions of the top 5 divisions at the time -- 5A D1 & D2, 4A D1 & D2, and 3A D1.

So I do this every year.  

And I've never remotely approached that level of accuracy.

So I don't know why I do this, and you should really only read this to make fun of me when half of my teams lose in the 2nd round.

Ordered by confidence:

3A D2: Newton over Gunter again.  This is literally, "I'll take Newton, you can have the rest of the field."  Newton was the best team last year with a bunch of stud juniors, and they've been the best team this season.  Their closest game was 51-31 over 4A Gilmer.

5A D2: Really no reason to ever bet against Aledo -- disappointment is losing in the state championship.  I'll take PNG in the other side of the bracket.

2A D2: Wellington over Mart -- Wellington was probably the 2nd-best team in the state last season, and they've got that 6'11" 350 pounder back to run behind whenever they need to.  (If you haven't seen this guy, it's ridiculous to watch.)

6A D1: Is anyone not picking an Allen-North Shore matchup?  I'll take NS to win simply because they have a better chance of making it to JerryWorld.

2A D1: Huge regional imbalance in this division (R3&R4 >>>>>>> R1&R2).  I'll take Mason to win big over New Deal.

6A D2: Westlake over Longview.  Like 6A D1, I think these are far and away the best two teams in the division.  I'll take Westlake because their defense has been on a different level lately.

5A D1: State will be won in the semifinals, as R1 Denton Ryan and R2 Highland Park and Lufkin are the three best teams in the state by far.  I'll take Lufkin to survive (their only loss was week 1 to Longview in the final minute), and they'll slaughter San Antonio Wagner in the finals.

4A D1: The usual suspects -- Carthage, Argyle, and La Vega.  La Vega has been hot as hell, so I'll take them to win a rematch against Argyle and upset Carthage in the final.

4A D2: Seems like a down year in this division, so there are about 10 teams capable.  Cuero has gotten healthy, so I'll take them over Pleasant Grove.

3A D1: Complete and utter crapshoot.  Will take Brock over Jefferson.  The real fun is in region 4, where Edna, Yoakum, and Goliad will come out of the same district to beat on each other again.  

9 hours ago, Tylerocks said:

Maybe I've never noticed this (I guess it's obvious I haven't) but why are there teams with losing records in the playoff brackets?  Does everyone get in?

I mean 3-7 Clearbrook as an example.

There's an 0-10 team that made it this year

0-10.   Playoff bound.   Regular season games matter. 

4 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

IIRC, the first time I did this on Shaggy, I nailed the state champions of the top 5 divisions at the time -- 5A D1 & D2, 4A D1 & D2, and 3A D1.

So I do this every year.  

And I've never remotely approached that level of accuracy.

So I don't know why I do this, and you should really only read this to make fun of me when half of my teams lose in the 2nd round.

Ordered by confidence:

3A D2: Newton over Gunter again.  This is literally, "I'll take Newton, you can have the rest of the field."  Newton was the best team last year with a bunch of stud juniors, and they've been the best team this season.  Their closest game was 51-31 over 4A Gilmer.

5A D2: Really no reason to ever bet against Aledo -- disappointment is losing in the state championship.  I'll take PNG in the other side of the bracket.

2A D2: Wellington over Mart -- Wellington was probably the 2nd-best team in the state last season, and they've got that 6'11" 350 pounder back to run behind whenever they need to.  (If you haven't seen this guy, it's ridiculous to watch.)

6A D1: Is anyone not picking an Allen-North Shore matchup?  I'll take NS to win simply because they have a better chance of making it to JerryWorld.

2A D1: Huge regional imbalance in this division (R3&R4 >>>>>>> R1&R2).  I'll take Mason to win big over New Deal.

6A D2: Westlake over Longview.  Like 6A D1, I think these are far and away the best two teams in the division.  I'll take Westlake because their defense has been on a different level lately.

5A D1: State will be won in the semifinals, as R1 Denton Ryan and R2 Highland Park and Lufkin are the three best teams in the state by far.  I'll take Lufkin to survive (their only loss was week 1 to Longview in the final minute), and they'll slaughter San Antonio Wagner in the finals.

4A D1: The usual suspects -- Carthage, Argyle, and La Vega.  La Vega has been hot as hell, so I'll take them to win a rematch against Argyle and upset Carthage in the final.

4A D2: Seems like a down year in this division, so there are about 10 teams capable.  Cuero has gotten healthy, so I'll take them over Pleasant Grove.

3A D1: Complete and utter crapshoot.  Will take Brock over Jefferson.  The real fun is in region 4, where Edna, Yoakum, and Goliad will come out of the same district to beat on each other again.  

No mention of Liberty Hill?  They're murdering people.

• Like 1

Lampasas has a chance to make a little run.  They play Brazosport (5-5) in the 1st rd.  If they get by them, then it's looking like a rematch with La Vernia (9-1).  Lampasas lost to La Vernia earlier this year, 51-50 in OT.

The Badgers have a young team. I could see them making some noise in the next year or two.  Their HC was the OC for North Shore when they won State a couple years ago.  He's a Lampasas alum.

QB Ace Whitehead - Sophomore - 5'11 175 lefty (178/272, 2548 yds, 30 TD, 4 INT)

RB Jack Jerome - Junior - 5'6 170 (165 rush, 1324 yds, 11 TD)

WR Cameron Everts - Junior - 6'1 180 (68 rec, 1029 yds, 15 TD)

WR Jaylon Porter - Junior - 5'11 170 (50 rec, 637 yds, 7 TD)

WR Michael Murray - Sophomore - 6'1 160 (27 rec, 501 yds, 5 TD)

6 minutes ago, slorch said:

That's unusual as hell for a smaller school team to have so much youth at the skill positions.  Damn...next year.

O-line is probably all 5th year seniors...(wink, wink)

From what I can tell from grainy video, it looks like they have 3 seniors on the OL, 1 junior and 1 sophomore.  The soph is 6'4 308.

23 hours ago, TankedBevo said:

So SV barely backs into the playoffs this year only to draw in the first round......Lake Travis. 

FML, see y'all next year. 

this is not a normal LT team. LT has holes on the O-line and in the D secondary. i think they will make it to the semi-finals based on their bracket. if they can continue to get better over the next 4-5 weeks then maybe they have a chance against NS. If they can get by NS, i think they match up well against Allen. But all of that assumes Wilson plays in the playoffs.

6 hours ago, Longhorn94 said:

this is not a normal LT team. LT has holes on the O-line and in the D secondary. i think they will make it to the semi-finals based on their bracket. if they can continue to get better over the next 4-5 weeks then maybe they have a chance against NS. If they can get by NS, i think they match up well against Allen. But all of that assumes Wilson plays in the playoffs.

Judson - LT would be another epic game before the Semis.

15 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

yeah i dont know how good Judson is this year. but if we both make it that far, it should be a great game as usual.

Judson is damn good. Defense is alright but the offense is their best unit. They have a junior starting QB that’s really good, he happened to transfer in from SA Johnson a couple weeks before the season started. Their backup QB is a sophomore who’s also really good, and he happened to transfer in from SA Brennan a couple weeks before the season started. The terrific schools & crime-free environment in Converse/NE San Antonio really attract people. Their starting RB has been on the varsity all 4 years, and he’s a beast as well.

6 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Judson is damn good. Defense is alright but the offense is their best unit. They have a junior starting QB that’s really good, he happened to transfer in from SA Johnson a couple weeks before the season started. Their backup QB is a sophomore who’s also really good, and he happened to transfer in from SA Brennan a couple weeks before the season started. The terrific schools & crime-free environment in Converse/NE San Antonio really attract people. Their starting RB has been on the varsity all 4 years, and he’s a beast as well.

Had a stepson in Judson back in the 80's, yeah that's the norm, nothing to see here.... still pulling for them.

8 hours ago, Dennis Taylor said:

here is a full slate of predictions of regional finals and state winners from the Dave Campbell high school writers

https://www.texasfootball.com/article/2018/11/12/2018-texas-high-school-football-playoffs-expert-predictions?ref=article_preview_title 

3A-D2 Abernathy lost its leading RB last week. He had just over 1000 yards and about 400 receiving on the season.  23 TDs combined will be missed, for sure, but they're certainly not a one man show.

They are still going to beat Childress and end up playing Canadian, IMHO.  Their average district scores were 49.6 to 5.2, with their only defeat coming on the road to 2A contender Wellington.  They defeated Sundown 48-28 in Week1, as well. They gave 9-1 Colorado City their only defeat of the year. They went 6-1 against playoff teams, and 9-1 on the season as a whole.

On 11/14/2018 at 6:07 PM, Helobious said:

I graduated from Judson, and I don’t like what you’re implying sir. Converse is a growing area new subdivisions popping up all the time. Being that Converse is located damn near directly between Randolph AFB and Ft. Sam Houston means there is always an influx of talent coming to the area. I have no idea what crime you speak of sir..........

1 hour ago, Beigebandit said:

I graduated from Judson, and I don’t like what you’re implying sir. Converse is a growing area new subdivisions popping up all the time. Being that Converse is located damn near directly between Randolph AFB and Ft. Sam Houston means there is always an influx of talent coming to the area. I have no idea what crime you speak of sir.......... 

Yeah he really went after Converse there, didn't he:

The terrific schools & crime-free environment in Converse/NE San Antonio really attract people

2 hours ago, Katfid54 said:

Yeah he really went after Converse there, didn't he:

Yeah that was heavy sarcasm. For reasons no one seems to understand crime has exploded in Converse the past 3 years. No demographic shift or anything, it kind of came out of nowhere. Judson HS had 2 students murdered in drug deals gone bad in the past year, Vets Memorial HS had 1. Then a star receiver on last year’s Judson team (Kevin Luster) murdered another former teammate over drugs a few months ago. Basically it’s just not an area or school you want to be at. I’m not even sure how many military brats they get anymore, Steele & Clemens get most of those now.

But despite all that they are damn good at football still.

4 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Yeah that was heavy sarcasm. For reasons no one seems to understand crime has exploded in Converse the past 3 years. No demographic shift or anything, it kind of came out of nowhere. Judson HS had 2 students murdered in drug deals gone bad in the past year, Vets Memorial HS had 1. Then a star receiver on last year’s Judson team (Kevin Luster) murdered another former teammate over drugs a few months ago. Basically it’s just not an area or school you want to be at. I’m not even sure how many military brats they get anymore, Steele & Clemens get most of those now.

But despite all that they are damn good at football still.

Damn.  Well good on that guy for picking up on it.  I missed it.

On 11/14/2018 at 5:46 PM, Longhorn94 said:

yeah i dont know how good Judson is this year. but if we both make it that far, it should be a great game as usual.

If we win against SV, round 2 likely Madison then a valley school in round 3. 

Round 4 almost certainly Judson.  Make it past them, Allen in the semis this year with the realignment right?

NS would be the finals. That's a real murderers row if it were to happen, Judson-Allen-NS. B2B2B

Edited by Treefidy

2 hours ago, Treefidy said:

If we win against SV, round 2 likely Madison then a valley school in round 3. 

Round 4 almost certainly Judson.  Make it past them, Allen in the semis this year with the realignment right?

NS would be the finals. That's a real murderers row if it were to happen, Judson-Allen-NS. B2B2B

Last I looked NS would be semis and Allen would be in the finals.

On 11/13/2018 at 11:21 PM, Duke Silver said:

Watch for the 3A D1 Region 4 upset special when Columbus knocks out Yoakum in the first round. 

Not bad, game was 13-13 in the 4th before Yoakum broke it open.  

Steele beat Bowie 18-17.

Georgetown beat Seguin 21-6.

Temple and Cedar Park games are both tied in the 4th?!?!?!?

On 11/9/2018 at 12:03 AM, Lonestar88 said:

Cedar Hill beat Desoto tonight 32-17 to win district. Bounce back from a bad year last year.

So much for this, Cedar Hill just lost in the first round to Richardson Pierce 23-21. That’s a really bad loss, O where art thou Joey McGuire. 

Edited by Lonestar88